Melbourne Football

***Help Keep the Red & White***

FB.

Unless there's a contract or agreement that hasn't been honoured.

I was thinking about this possibility earlier, because I really can't believe CFG wouldn't have ensured with FFA that they could change the colours before buying the club.

Doesn't add up.

Especially since all evidence points to the club being highly confident of being able to change colours.

• Like 1

Hate to be the one to say it, but I'm rather sure no one in the world would give a shit if City did the wrong thing by us. They already have by trying to change the colours, which has even gained support by existing city fans. They dump us, and the world will just forget about us completely.

And I'm sure they wouldn't give a shit about any legal action taken against them, considering the cost of our entire club was similar to the price of an average Man City player. They won't be hit hard by any court decisions made here if they were to up and leave.

Am amazed they didn't look into this before purchasing the club. I'm hopeful for our club to now remain, however I'm worried as to what we're about to be potentially dragged through.

Indeed. If Melbourne were going to play in blue, and the badge was blue, it would look great (to City) lined up alongside their own badge and the blue one of NYCFC in promotional material. But it isn't. It's red and white, and as such would stick out like a sore thumb. And as soon as you start talking about red and Manchester (as many will) people instantly think United, and City will not want that, ever. That is basically the short and tall of it.

This could get unbelievably messy, not just for the club, but the league itself.

It doesn't have to be messy. City can just be big about it and accept that different clubs have their own identities. On this side of the fence it just looks like old fashioned imperialism. They've so far done nothing to build any loyalty to their brand before attempting to change fundamental things like name and colours. City can just come to the simple conclusion that there's a better way of doing business.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

Kiro.. You have never really understood the difference between CFG and MCFC I take it?

What is their to understand.?

CFG owns MCFC, CFG wants to re-brand all their clubs as if they're Mini Man City, CFG wants all the clubs it owns to wear the same sky blue as MCFC..For our purposes, they're one and the same.

You understand that FFPR and such doesn´t apply to CFG.. but to MCFC?

Come on now.. CFG knew that Sydney would contest anything like sky blue home colours, I somehow doubt that they haven´t got a Plan B if the ruling was against them.
That Plan B might not be an immediate reaction but something like encouraging the franchise holders to look at a breakaway league for instance.
Or simply bide their time.. They got a curious relationship to time. Khaldoon himself in the recent interview spoke about the coming interview six years from now,
The developments in Manchester regarding MCFC and the stadium area are supposed to be finished 2027..anything less than ten years is listed as "short term" actually :blink:

If there can be no color change, Heart would decrease or be non existant when it comes to attract sponsordeals  This will not only damage the city brand but it will damage Heart greatly because the resources will be low. But if you are happy with that then ok..   Just imagine any brand in the world who aspire to global domination, how they would react if the colour of the brand can be used on all place accept Australia   I would never invest in a market where my brand has been comprimised,  its like coca cola cant be red.  

This statement on it's own is entirely baseless. Colours have a hugely different significance to different cultures, for example in China you get married in a red dress, white is associated with death and funerals. Off the top of my head, in China and Japan the mcdonalds logo is yellow M on a brown background, as opposed to a red on in the west (as far as i know). And the icecream company Streets uses a variety of combinations of blue, white, red, yellow and orange depending on the region.

• Like 2

Hate to be the one to say it, but I'm rather sure no one in the world would give a shit if City did the wrong thing by us. They already have by trying to change the colours, which has even gained support by existing city fans. They dump us, and the world will just forget about us completely.

And I'm sure they wouldn't give a shit about any legal action taken against them, considering the cost of our entire club was similar to the price of an average Man City player. They won't be hit hard by any court decisions made here if they were to up and leave.

Am amazed they didn't look into this before purchasing the club. I'm hopeful for our club to now remain, however I'm worried as to what we're about to be potentially dragged through.

Indeed. If Melbourne were going to play in blue, and the badge was blue, it would look great (to City) lined up alongside their own badge and the blue one of NYCFC in promotional material. But it isn't. It's red and white, and as such would stick out like a sore thumb. And as soon as you start talking about red and Manchester (as many will) people instantly think United, and City will not want that, ever. That is basically the short and tall of it.

This could get unbelievably messy, not just for the club, but the league itself.

It doesn't have to be messy. City can just be big about it and accept that different clubs have their own identities. On this side of the fence it just looks like old fashioned imperialism. They've so far done nothing to build any loyalty to their brand before attempting to change fundamental things like name and colours. City can just come to the simple conclusion that there's a better way of doing business.

Sash, I've been waiting for someone to use the word imperialism to describe our situation. If CFG want to be heavy handed about the takeover of HeartFC and pretty much try to remake us in their image then yes, it'd call it football imperialism.  Reminds me of the talk a few years ago about the EPL having one round played internationally. Great marketing tool for EPL teams but it could defn have a negative effect on the local leagues.

I was thinking about this possibility earlier, because I really can't believe CFG wouldn't have ensured with FFA that they could change the colours before buying the club.Doesn't add up.Especially since all evidence points to the club being highly confident of being able to change colours.

I'm assuming they've made the mistake of either falling for taking someone's word for being able to change the colours or underestimating the importance and historical connection of colours in Australia

I was thinking about this possibility earlier, because I really can't believe CFG wouldn't have ensured with FFA that they could change the colours before buying the club.

Doesn't add up.

Especially since all evidence points to the club being highly confident of being able to change colours.

I reckon gallop went back on his word, which is probably why the meeting was described as 'spirited' and had to be heard at some independent hearing. If this is the case they probably will take it to court.

I fail to see the importance in this.. Does Coca-Cola suffer because their Fanta is promoted as blue&orange instead of red&white? Does their Sprite sell less because it got a green&white label?
Does the national football teams that tend to change colours often like Germany or England find it harder to attract sponsors?

• Like 2

I was thinking about this possibility earlier, because I really can't believe CFG wouldn't have ensured with FFA that they could change the colours before buying the club.Doesn't add up.Especially since all evidence points to the club being highly confident of being able to change colours.

I'm assuming they've made the mistake of either falling for taking someone's word for being able to change the colours or underestimating the importance and historical connection of colours in Australia

Nothing doing with historical connections. The FFA's claim (as reported in Fairfax) was that each club had a unique colour for branding purposes, that is marketing, and having two clubs with similar colours in a 10 team league that itself operates in a highly competitive environment would reduce the ability for team differentiation. In other words if no team was using sky blue then there would have been no problems in changing colours.

HAHAHA EAT SHIT YOU CUNTS!!!!!!!

In saying that they'll probably pack up and leave if the new owners don't get there way.....

BUT FUCK IT, FUCK YEAH!! YOUR NOT GETTING RID OF THE COLORS THAT EASY!

Who are you referrring to CUNTS mate?

CFG where probably told that when buying the club there wouldn't be objections to changing the name and colours

They were told wrong and miscalculated the support for Red & White

However, to call them CUNTS just shows you to be one mate!!

CFG will not walk away from Heart because of the colour issue. So please guys let's have less of the hate and Citeh bullshit!!

They got it wrong and will move on from here, so let's all get behind the team in Red & White!

Edited by silva10

In saying that they'll probably pack up and leave if the new owners don't get there way.....

CFG where probably told that when buying the club there wouldn't be objections to changing the name and colours

Chill mate.

I'm sure if you were in our position you'd have some harsh words for the entity trying to change your club's name, badge and colours.

• Like 1

However, to call them CUNTS just shows you to be one mate!! Chill mate.

I'm sure if you were in our position you'd have some harsh words for the entity trying to change your club's name, badge and colours.

You say for him to chill? Have you read the post he was responding too?

What really sucks about this is it took bloody Sydney to save us

What really sucks is that all the discussion and decision making took place between the franchiser and franchisee and the fans can see how important we really are to both of them when important issues like identity are discussed and decided with absolutely no direct input from us at all. We aren't stakeholders. We arguably aren't even customers as any company would use careful market research on their customers before changing fundamental branding. We have been reduced to props, there on game day to provide the approved colour and noise.

Hey, most men are trying to get as much cunt as possible. It should be a great honour to be referred to as something so sought after :)

• Like 1

I think the one thing we can be certain of is that this shit is not over...

And this feeling of being in "Colour Change Purgatory" which could even extend beyond next Season really fucken sucks.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

In promotional material city can put Heart in their Sky Blue away kit. They will play in their Sky Blue kit in the ACL etc. 

It's really not a branding problem. 

Doesn't add up.

I reckon gallop went back on his word, which is probably why the meeting was described as 'spirited' and had to be heard at some independent hearing. If this is the case they probably will take it to court.

You don't go back on your word with Billionaires unless you are a complete idiot. At worst he may have said something like "there probably won't be a problem but it depends on how Sydney responds" etc. 

Doesn't add up.

Especially since all evidence points to the club being highly confident of being able to change colours. I reckon gallop went back on his word, which is probably why the meeting was described as 'spirited' and had to be heard at some independent hearing. If this is the case they probably will take it to court.

You don't go back on your word with Billionaires unless you are a complete idiot. At worst he may have said something like "there probably won't be a problem but it depends on how Sydney responds" etc.

The initial interview on tv he did. He seemed very open to the colour change.

All of this vitriol from us supporters has come purely as a result of the City Group's inability to communicate with the supporters effectively pretty much since the takeover.

They saw and acknowledged how much the red and white meant to us fans, yet they decided to ignore that completely and proceed with the lodge for a colour change anyway, without ANY communication to us supporters about why they were doing such a thing, and how it wasn't stabbing us in the back. 

So I'm really sorry to those City supporters on here who can't understand where this anger and frustration is coming from but I for one am happy that these bullies didn't get their own way, for now at least anyhow.

• Like 1

However, to call them CUNTS just shows you to be one mate!! Chill mate.

You say for him to chill? Have you read the post he was responding too?

Yeah, didn't see a personal insult towards another poster in his mate  :up:

The real irony is that the outcome that CFG were fighting so hard for would have seen MCFC touring Australia playing Heart with MCFC not wearing their iconic light blue kit (not good for the local fans or sponsors or brand recognition) or Heart being forced to play at home in their away colours against a team wearing 'their' home jersey. Alternatively both teams could have played in their home jerseys just to add to the slapstick.

I don't get this concern voiced here regarding City group branding and potential negative effect on their consistent look of their business model.

whats with it??

No body forced them to buy this club and if they did not do their homework and due diligence it is no ones fault but theirs.

We have made out feelings pretty crystal clear from day 1.

They had decided to pretend we don't exist and our opinion is worthless.

• Like 1

I think we can now understand why there has been, in effect, a media lock-down in recent weeks. I don't think this is over, I think that we could be in for a stoush here, and I don't think it's going to do anyone any good as it drags on. Eventually, one party, and possibly all of them, will get hurt.

So far I have seen nothing from FFA, Heart, or City about what has transpired. If the news reports are accurate, the original decision was made by Gallop over a week ago, and then there was a grievances meeting at which the decision was upheld.

IMO all parties have neglected to talk to us, the STHs. And they are still failing to do so. Further, if I read the reports correctly, the decision was not made because of consideration of the opinions/feelings/wishes of Heart STHs, but because of a submission by Sydney FC.

FFA has shown in the past what a pig-headed organisation it is. This is a situation that is crying out for a compromise, one that recognises the past, the present and the future. And a compromise is so very simple to achieve - it just needs a willingness to try from all parties. FFS City and FFA, get into a room and don't come out until you have sorted it.

I just hope that it isn't Heart fans who ultimately pay the biggest price for what transpires.

Other than this current statement,

"The club remains in constructive discussions with the FFA on a range of matters relating to its future plans including its playing strips. On the matter of colours, as we have said previously, any decisions made in relation to the club's identity will be guided by the traditions of our existing fan base, including their passion for red and white, and the opportunities provided by our new ownership."

I can't recall any other single statement from the club that was definitive on the colour issue.

I will hold my opinion until such time.

I am all for keeping the red and white, 100%, but the arrogance of Sydney to argue that Sky Blue can only belong to them, and then the contradictory argument by FFA, when there are so many teams with Red, especially with WSWFFA being allowed red and white(away) after this colour combo was adopted by Heart, is galling, and fully lends itself to the view that the FFA are massively Sydney centric and biased.

Makes me want some sky blue somewhere in our kit just to stick it up em

The issue isn't having A COLOR  that other teams do, but having a more or less identical shirt.  The red shirts of Adelaide can never be confused with the red and white stripes of Heart just like the red of Liverpool and red an white stripes of Stoke don't confuse anyone.

If CFG said they'll play in Argentina NT strip ie sky blue and white strips, there would be no issue.  However they are not doing that.

Going forward it would a cause of conflict every time the clubs did a variation on their kits with Melb City and SFC clashing over it every fricken' season.

I think we can now understand why there has been, in effect, a media lock-down in recent weeks. I don't think this is over, I think that we could be in for a stoush here, and I don't think it's going to do anyone any good as it drags on. Eventually, one party, and possibly all of them, will get hurt.

So far I have seen nothing from FFA, Heart, or City about what has transpired. If the news reports are accurate, the original decision was made by Gallop over a week ago, and then there was a grievances meeting at which the decision was upheld.

IMO all parties have neglected to talk to us, the STHs. And they are still failing to do so. Further, if I read the reports correctly, the decision was not made because of consideration of the opinions/feelings/wishes of Heart STHs, but because of a submission by Sydney FC.

FFA has shown in the past what a pig-headed organisation it is. This is a situation that is crying out for a compromise, one that recognises the past, the present and the future. And a compromise is so very simple to achieve - it just needs a willingness to try from all parties. FFS City and FFA, get into a room and don't come out until you have sorted it.

I just hope that it isn't Heart fans who ultimately pay the biggest price for what transpires.

Its not all doom and gloom.  

Whats the worst that could happen?

City's owners don't invest in the club like they otherwise would have?  They still have to spend 85% of the salary cap.  They won't be able to walk away lock stock and barrel.  If they deliberately sabotage the club, the FFA will sue for breach of contract and wilful damage to its brand, seek compensation, revoke their license, take Heart over and run it like WSW.

Some people really astound me. The fact that people even use the argument that "there will be 3 claret and blues in the premier league next year why can't we have 2 sky blues" baffles me. Sky blue is the colour of NSW, and we have had the colours quite literally imposed on us with no input whatsoever. These clubs have been around 100's of years and have had that identity for an extremely long time. I agree with Sydney that sky blue is part of their unique marketing strategy and if another club uses it too it would be a conflict of interest to them. 

TCG have been incredibly disrespectful to the existing fans through 0 consultation and this shows where their intentions lie. Global "branding" and Financial Fair Play. 

• Like 1

I am all for keeping the red and white, 100%, but the arrogance of Sydney to argue that Sky Blue can only belong to them, and then the contradictory argument by FFA, when there are so many teams with Red, especially with WSWFFA being allowed red and white(away) after this colour combo was adopted by Heart, is galling, and fully lends itself to the view that the FFA are massively Sydney centric and biased.

I don't see any conradiction at all.

Adelaide is red. (Maybe some additional yellow and blue as they're the SA state colours.) We're red & white. And WSW are red & black. Each club is unique with their own colour combination.

Sydney are sky blue, and if we became sky blue, there would be two sky blue teams. Which would be stupid and unneccesary.

I'd say if City proposed a compromise which combined their sky blue with our red and white, they would be able to get it through the FFA and probably most of our fans. But they haven't even been prepared to compromise.

Sash, I don't think we know what was proposed. But I agree that it is time for a compromise. I'm pretty sure Heart fans could come up with a dozen compromise kits embracing red, white and sky blue that in no way would make anyone think of "Sydney" at all.

As TA suggests, the biggest weakness in FFA's argument is that FFA allowed WSW to have an away kit that mimics Heart's home kit except for the direction of the stripes.

I don't get this concern voiced here regarding City group branding and potential negative effect on their consistent look of their business model.

whats with it??

No body forced them to buy this club and if they did not do their homework and due diligence it is no ones fault but theirs.

We have made out feelings pretty crystal clear from day 1.

They had decided to pretend we don't exist and our opinion is worthless.

The problem with their "look" is that its not CFG's "look", its MCFC's "look".  If they had bought out another club, then sky blue would be irrelevant

Their "brand" IS MCFC.

We are not MCFC, NYCFC are not MCFC.  Yokohama are not MCFC.

Thats the core of the problem.

Whilst this decision by the FFA on the whole conveniently aligns with the want of most of us to keep the colours, I fear there is a bigger issue here...

What concerns me most of all is the fact the final say on what happens to us now and future, lies largely in the hands of David Gallop.

The colours/owners/whatever can come and go, but I believe that whilst we are in Melbourne (Victoria), anything we do that will impact adversely on Sydney/NSW or their wants, will be knocked down or dealt with severely.

I'm tipping if the change of colour request was to something purple related (like Glory), it would have gone through no problems.

I'm also waiting for when we finally start enjoying prolonged success on the field by winning silverware, something will happen (like a salary cap scandal) that will take away our achievements - whilst he is in control.

I have no idea what was agreed/promised when CFG and the FFA had their discussions earlier, but I get my back up when I start seeing decisions made by anything Gallop controlled regarding Melbourne.

Call me cynical but am still burnt by the whole Storm saga. In my opinion, if he has his way, Man City will stay so the league can enjoy whatever benefits come from their involvement - whilst ensuring there is no success for us.

The guy is a proven dud.

• Like 1

The real irony is that the outcome that CFG were fighting so hard for would have seen MCFC touring Australia playing Heart with MCFC not wearing their iconic light blue kit (not good for the local fans or sponsors or brand recognition) or Heart being forced to play at home in their away colours against a team wearing 'their' home jersey. Alternatively both teams could have played in their home jerseys just to add to the slapstick.

Ha! So true. Making Melbourne mini Man City by wearing an identical kit is wrong on so many levels. They should be happy to just use the name "City" to unite their brands and leave kit colours up to what's best for each unique sporting environment. And of course they can make a sky blue kit as the away kit. 

Other than this current statement,

"The club remains in constructive discussions with the FFA on a range of matters relating to its future plans including its playing strips. On the matter of colours, as we have said previously, any decisions made in relation to the club's identity will be guided by the traditions of our existing fan base, including their passion for red and white, and the opportunities provided by our new ownership."

I can't recall any other single statement from the club that was definitive on the colour issue.

I will hold my opinion until such time.

The issue isn't having A COLOR  that other teams do, but having a more or less identical shirt.  The red shirts of Adelaide can never be confused with the red and white stripes of Heart just like the red of Liverpool and red an white stripes of Stoke don't confuse anyone.

If CFG said they'll play in Argentina NT strip ie sky blue and white strips, there would be no issue.  However they are not doing that.

Going forward it would a cause of conflict every time the clubs did a variation on their kits with Melb City and SFC clashing over it every fricken' season.

Good points. The problem is that the Man City kit is almost identical to the Sydney one (at least to a casual soccer fan). 

Whilst this decision by the FFA on the whole conveniently aligns with the want of most of us to keep the colours, I fear there is a bigger issue here...

What concerns me most of all is the fact the final say on what happens to us now and future, lies largely in the hands of David Gallop.

The colours/owners/whatever can come and go, but I believe that whilst we are in Melbourne (Victoria), anything we do that will impact adversely on Sydney/NSW or their wants, will be knocked down or dealt with severely.

I'm tipping if the change of colour request was to something purple related (like Glory), it would have gone through no problems.

I'm also waiting for when we finally start enjoying prolonged success on the field by winning silverware, something will happen (like a salary cap scandal) that will take away our achievements - whilst he is in control.

I have no idea what was agreed/promised when CFG and the FFA had their discussions earlier, but I get my back up when I start seeing decisions made by anything Gallop controlled regarding Melbourne.

Call me cynical but am still burnt by the whole Storm saga. In my opinion, if he has his way, Man City will stay so the league can enjoy whatever benefits come from their involvement - whilst ensuring there is no success for us.

The guy is a proven dud.

Are you insinuating that Gallop was responsible for the salary cap saga from 2010? No one had any idea except for a very small select group of people.

The guy is a proven dud.

Are you insinuating that Gallop was responsible for the salary cap saga from 2010? No one had any idea except for a very small select group of people.

Not for the crime. He was responsible for the penalty though (which I believe was crap) and for his comments towards their supporters.

Melbourne Heart's bid to become sky blue blocked after Sydney FC object

May 29 2014

Sebastian Hassett

However, a statement from Melbourne Heart on Wednesday indicated the matter was not necessarily settled.

"The club remains in constructive discussions with the FFA on a range of matters relating to its future plans including its playing strips," it read. "On the matter of colours, as we have said previously, any decisions made in relation to the club's identity will be guided by the traditions of our existing fan base, including their passion for red and white, and the opportunities provided by our new ownership."

It is plausible that Heart’s ownership conglomerate could now take the matter to the Supreme Court, although they may risk further alienating their fans, many of whom have argued fervently in favour of keeping the club's existing colour scheme.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-hearts-bid-to-become-sky-blue-blocked-after-sydney-fc-object-20140529-zrs76.html

Ok for starters the blue text I highlighted above suggests that even if they had got approval to change colours to sky blue, they would've maybe consulted the members before releasing a final design. The fire brick text however suggests that they think they are the beez kneez and can do whatever they want regardless.

The purple text is just some journo-speak and pure speculation, that is all. No one is saying that CFG are even considering going to the Supreme Court, it's 'plausible' that Sebastian Hassett is just trying to make this story bigger than what it is.

We will be playing in Red & White next season and that is what we should be focusing on!  :wub: