Melbourne Football

IN or Out

MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON

191 members have voted

1. 1. If a name and colour change came next season who is IN or Out

I think you are seeing a part of the reason man city group have waited to announce things. After any chance and in particular large changes there are a range of emotions. There has been discussion here and things are now starting to settle on more informed and thought out perspectives (not to suggest anyone is right or wrong here). Now as supporters reach this point it is a more appropriate time to begin announcements. I, like Murf suggested in another thread would be surprised if we didn't start to hear more in the next few weeks.

Edited by wombegongal
  • Like 1

With the whole relationship to red and white issue, I am a Newcastle supporter. Our arch rivals, Sunderland wear red and white stripes. I hate the red and white stripes of Sunderland. But I absolutely love the red and white stripes of Melbourne Heart. They are our club's colours. If Heart had started in any other colours, I would still love them and not want them to change. I will be there next season no matter what, but I will be in red and white.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 5

It's weird how the vote was pretty much neck and neck till about 45 votes each and then suddenly the INs exploded ahead.

Doesn't seem weird to me and a lot other Hearts fan I know at all...

If anything we predicted such a reaction.

You guys must be really cool. Got some lotto numbers for me?

It's weird how the vote was pretty much neck and neck till about 45 votes each and then suddenly the INs exploded ahead.

You guys must be really cool. Got some lotto numbers for me? I really don't see the correlation between predicting the bloody obvious and random lotto numbers but anyway... :rolleyes:

You guys must be really cool. Got some lotto numbers for me?

Fuck off

• Like 5

With the whole relationship to red and white issue, I am a Newcastle supporter. Our arch rivals, Sunderland wear red and white stripes. I hate the red and white stripes of Sunderland. But I absolutely love the red and white stripes of Melbourne Heart. They are our club's colours. If Heart had started in any other colours, I would still love them and not want them to change. I will be there next season no matter what, but I will be in red and white.

And if Sunderland Football Group had bought Heart?

• 2 weeks later...

IN

Just a reminder for everyone saying OUT:

Manchester United started as Newton Heath LYR Football Club and wore green and yellow

Manchester City started as St Marks West Gorton and wore a black kit

Liverpool started as Everton Athletic and wore a light blue and white kit

Change for the better, nothing you can do, embrace it and get behind the boys!

IN

Manchester United started as Newton Heath LYR Football Club and wore green and yellow

Change management is crucial, all those changes worked because they came from inside the club. We aren't a club, we are a franchise, we are STHs not members and so our relationship with the organisation is different from that of club members to the club. We don't get elected to the Board, we are conditional stakeholders at best, when it suits the franchise or FFA. Identity changes need to managed in a different way here compared to the English leagues. At the end of the day are franchises are plastic artificial creations of the FFA and the franchise owners need to work in a different way to make and retain our loyalty. Unless they have some unequivocal research that shows that red and white and the Heart name is actively going to drive away thens of thousands of prospective STHs then they risk just antagonising the most committed and loyal of existing fans.

I have not said 'out' myself but I can tell you that my relationship with the new franchise will be reset to zero, and they will have to work very very hard to build something positive. I don't like light blue so I won't be wearing one of those jerseys, but that's just me.

• Like 4

IN

Now you're pushing it!! :P

IN

Love how people keep using these examples to justify their stance on the issue. Apart from the change of colour and name none of those examples bare any resemblance to the current situation. 

• Like 1

IN

Change management is crucial, all those changes worked because they came from inside the club. We aren't a club, we are a franchise, we are STHs not members and so our relationship with the organisation is different from that of club members to the club. We don't get elected to the Board, we are conditional stakeholders at best, when it suits the franchise or FFA. Identity changes need to managed in a different way here compared to the English leagues. At the end of the day are franchises are plastic artificial creations of the FFA and the franchise owners need to work in a different way to make and retain our loyalty. Unless they have some unequivocal research that shows that red and white and the Heart name is actively going to drive away thens of thousands of prospective STHs then they risk just antagonising the most committed and loyal of existing fans.

I have not said 'out' myself but I can tell you that my relationship with the new franchise will be reset to zero, and they will have to work very very hard to build something positive. I don't like light blue so I won't be wearing one of those jerseys, but that's just me.

Well said Bella

+1 here

IN

Love how people keep using these examples to justify their stance on the issue. Apart from the change of colour and name none of those examples bare any resemblance to the current situation. 

It's a reasonable argument to be fair. I think the argument that needs a more thorough examination is the 'if they change colours they can fuck off' argument. There is a clear case for teams changing colours over time for various reasons. Changing colours in and of itself means very little. A better argument that I suspect you yourself have made is in regards to the identity of the club and I believe most supporters have colours and identity confused.

If we fans stay around and support we can forge the identity no matter the colours.

Unless sky blue doesn't compliment the eyes of every supporter just don't see the issue. Sure I'd like to stay red and white but it doesn't and never should define the club.

Really supporters on both sides of the divide are choosing to stick their heads in the sand one way or another. I like the fact people have expressed their views to the club in a reasonably respectful way and hope that from this challenge comes something better than heart or mini man city. Something that is mutually beneficial to both. What will remain of the club is up to the fans.

But the owners themselves don't seem to think the supporters have a role in forging the identity of the club. Why should we stay around and support a club that will impose these changes without consulting us? Who impose these changes, not for our benefit, but to suit their 'brand allignment' strategies. Changes that have nothing to do with Melbourne or the club we've supported. So therefore, I think the 'if they change our colours they can fuck off' argument is a perfectly acceptable one.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 3

But the owners themselves don't seem to think the supporters have a role in forging the identity of the club. Why should we stay around and support a club that will impose these changes without consulting us? Who impose these changes, not for our benefit, but to suit their 'brand allignment' strategies. Changes that have nothing to do with Melbourne or the club we've supported. So therefore, I think the 'if they change our colours they can fuck off' argument is a perfectly acceptable one.

Money has strings attached and I think you are making the argument regarding 'image' not colours as I've stated above. If anyone thought that someone would buy the club and plow money in and listen to supporters (most of whom have varying opinions anyway) and not their 'experts', I could have told you they need their head checked.

In fact look around where in Australia are supporters being listened too? Suburban footy grounds? Gone. Waverly? Gone. The Melbourne Tigers? Changed. Bela is right that we are almost pseudo stake holders in all this. We do however have the opportunity (as do other supporters in other codes) to bring our unique and friendly supporter base and still provide the same camaraderie in the stands. We can maintain this no matter what the guys up stairs do. Perhaps the colours are the straw that broke the camels back after Aloisi now a shit stain on the club) did his ample best with the full backing of the board to run it into the ground.

All the stuff the old guys did was much worse than City have done so far. They promised everything spoke to the fans and did fuck all. If people are pissed at them still (and I am) why take it out on the new guys at least let them run the club as they want and see if it reflects the values you like. It may not then I would agree with you and you can vote with your feet as you are entitled too. But at least give them the time to get their house in order and see h ow their changes pan out. It could be great or diabolical I don't wear rose coloured glasses they haven't set the world alight yet but I'm willing to give them the chance.

Remember they need something out of this as an investment of their money. What they want is brand alignment and goodwill. Is that such a big price to pay for beginning to recognise the original mandate of the club. To recruit young talent and play attractive possession based football. I struggle to see how strategic alignment of colours and names even hold a candle to the ideals behind the club (which Aloisi genuinely tried to destroy). Clearly the signings made so far have reflected the valuing of youth compared to Aloisi's signings and show the club heading in the correct direction (according to my reasoning).

For your information and I'd say this is a reasonable source the colour issue I've heard is or is going to be heard in Court between the club and ffa as i understand it. To that end I think we haven't heard anything yet as its still playing out. I like you would love the club to stay red and white and will be disappointed by the change but I'd say that will be more than balanced out knowing that I can watch a team that has the backing of the owners to begin realising its potential.

As I've said in other posts at various times. I'm not trying to fling shit Sash and you seem like a mature poster and have very legitimate line of reasoning one in this case I disagree with for the time being.

• Like 1

If they do resort to an away red and white kit.... It will make an interesting next FRG meeting, since they explicitly said they dont want a 'cardiff situation' at the last meeting.

What they meant by that is, they didn't want the fans to continue to protest. Not that they wouldn't have the current home kit as the new away kit

• Like 1

Money has strings attached and I think you are making the argument regarding 'image' not colours as I've stated above. If anyone thought that someone would buy the club and plow money in and listen to supporters (most of whom have varying opinions anyway) and not their 'experts', I could have told you they need their head checked.

In fact look around where in Australia are supporters being listened too? Suburban footy grounds? Gone. Waverly? Gone. The Melbourne Tigers? Changed. Bela is right that we are almost pseudo stake holders in all this. We do however have the opportunity (as do other supporters in other codes) to bring our unique and friendly supporter base and still provide the same camaraderie in the stands. We can maintain this no matter what the guys up stairs do. Perhaps the colours are the straw that broke the camels back after Aloisi now a shit stain on the club) did his ample best with the full backing of the board to run it into the ground.

All the stuff the old guys did was much worse than City have done so far. They promised everything spoke to the fans and did fuck all. If people are pissed at them still (and I am) why take it out on the new guys at least let them run the club as they want and see if it reflects the values you like. It may not then I would agree with you and you can vote with your feet as you are entitled too. But at least give them the time to get their house in order and see h ow their changes pan out. It could be great or diabolical I don't wear rose coloured glasses they haven't set the world alight yet but I'm willing to give them the chance.

Remember they need something out of this as an investment of their money. What they want is brand alignment and goodwill. Is that such a big price to pay for beginning to recognise the original mandate of the club. To recruit young talent and play attractive possession based football. I struggle to see how strategic alignment of colours and names even hold a candle to the ideals behind the club (which Aloisi genuinely tried to destroy). Clearly the signings made so far have reflected the valuing of youth compared to Aloisi's signings and show the club heading in the correct direction (according to my reasoning).

For your information and I'd say this is a reasonable source the colour issue I've heard is or is going to be heard in Court between the club and ffa as i understand it. To that end I think we haven't heard anything yet as its still playing out. I like you would love the club to stay red and white and will be disappointed by the change but I'd say that will be more than balanced out knowing that I can watch a team that has the backing of the owners to begin realising its potential.

As I've said in other posts at various times. I'm not trying to fling shit Sash and you seem like a mature poster and have very legitimate line of reasoning one in this case I disagree with for the time being.

Yeah, passions can get inflamed, but it's important to keep in mind that everyone's got a right to their opinion.

Great rumour by the way. If the FFA were prepared to go to court to protect our colours or whatever, that would be incredible. I've always assumed they would just rubber stamp anything the City group wanted. What a plot twist! If true, it's probably at the behest of Sydney FC.

Edited by Sash

Yeah, passions can get inflamed, but it's important to keep in mind that everyone's got a right to their opinion.

Great rumour by the way. If the FFA were prepared to go to court to protect our colours or whatever, that would be incredible. I've always assumed they would just rubber stamp anything the City group wanted. What a plot twist! If true, it's probably at the behest of Sydney FC.

It wouldnt be a normal court. If it were it would be made public very very quickly. It might be some tribuneral set up by FFA and it wouldnt be FFA v CFG it would be Sydney v CFG. 

I think the issue of the love for red and white is somewhat amplified by the hatred for the blue and what it represents in this country to most of us.

tbh I think that the bond to a club through its colours is only superficial and symbolic. 

If they do resort to an away red and white kit.... It will make an interesting next FRG meeting, since they explicitly said they dont want a 'cardiff situation' at the last meeting.

What they meant by that is, they didn't want the fans to continue to protest. Not that they wouldn't have the current home kit as the new away kit

I wassnt there so have no context. But, was that ment as....not a warning so much, but something along those lines? Or was it ment as a 'we will try and work through the issues, so that there are no protests'?

I wassnt there so have no context. But, was that ment as....not a warning so much, but something along those lines? Or was it ment as a 'we will try and work through the issues, so that there are no protests'?

I wasn't there either. It is just that everything they say is carefully worded and alot of people interpret it to what they want it to mean, not necessarily nor likely what id does actually mean.

My comment was more of a tongue in cheek comment, though I would say it is closer to the truth than many of the interpretations. I wouldn't think it were a threat more just them telling us something to appease us while they work away at changing our club into their puppet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to change colours but was willing to accept just about any colours except NSW blue.

A change to Red and Black home strip while keeping Red and White as an away strip is just about as minimal as you could do in making a change.
I'm in.