Melbourne Football

Matchday 18: vs Perth Glory @ Lavington Sports Oval - Sunday 9th February - 3pm EDT

Nate

If I saw someone doing the same thing in my postcode yesterday, I would want charges laid against them. I don't care if it's a Heart supporter or not, the stupidity and selfishness of some people never ceases to amaze. The CFA volunteers in the region would probably want to string the guy up and can you blame them? There's just no defence at all. I couldn't agree more with the theme of that article.

I was going to leave this topic, but the paranoia on display by some posters is ridiculous.

A smoke flare was never going to start any bushfires. It was a concrete stand, positioned nowhere near any substantial bushland. No sparks are shot from the flare, and last time I checked, I didn't suffer any burns from the smoke.

There were also a good 100 people in the direct vicinity, most with water in their possesion, and don't forget the fact that the fire crew (with truck) that was positioned down the end of the ground, didn't even make a move towards the group.

Yes the bushfires on display whilst driving home weren't a good sight, especially due to how close they were to property, which I understand can cause some fear.

However people need to stop over reacting and getting all self-righteous over a what was always a non-event.

Many people who had never watched A League before turned up to see this game. They all live in rural areas, what impression do you think that setting off a smoke flare on a 41 degree day on a fire ban day  made on them? Has it helped to convert them to our game? The facts may be that it was a smoke flare and a concrete stand but look at the coverage in the Border Mail, it isn't about the football. How is it helpful?

• Like 2

I don't think people realize that concrete steps aren't flammable. 

And the concept of 'total fire ban'? That's apparently escaping a few people as well. Ifs and buts don't exist on total fire ban days and the people who think they do, are idiots, plain and simple.

Seeing as it was such a safe thing to do, I'm guessing the person who did this walked up to the fire crew to clear it with them before the game? And if not, why not?

Plenty of bushfires have been started by cowboys who think, for some reason, that the rules don't apply to them and 'she'll be right' on total fire ban days. And I'd hazard a guess that a person who can't take a deep breath and just leave the flares at home for a football game on a 40+ degree day, is just such a cowboy.

• Like 1

We're playing a lot better, but we don't look comfortable trying to hold a lead. After hitting the front, we stopped attacking and reverted to passing back to Redmayne to boot it forward, often losing possession. Maybe trying to conserve some energy in the heat, but it didn't look good. Otherwise, we dominated most of the game. It's a big job now to recover and travel to Wellington.

• Like 1

I'm not defending in anyway the use of them.

I also was not the one who used them yesterday.

I'm simply trying to kill the belief that we only just avoided complete catastrophy yesterday. FFS, a jaded reporter writes a knee jerk reaction piece, and people suddenly jump on the bushfire bandwagon.

Its clear that despite all the firebans and fear of bushfires yesterday, the CFA in attendance did not react to the use of a single smokie. Therefore I'd argue that there was no risk from the use of it within the stadium.

I'm sure someone dropped a cigarette somewhere in the ground yesterday, maybe we should be looking to publicly execute them too?

Don't get me wrong, I love flares but rules are rules. It's bad enough setting it off on a 'total fire ban' day but what's worse is that person that set off the flares potentially scared off new regional supporters and potentially scared off regional supporters coming again should the match be played in Albury.

Clearly the danger of a bushfire starting because of a flare wasn't as high as the article made out but for me it's all about the perception of our game and what actions like that do to that perception (which Bela touched on too).

We're up in Albury to try and branch out the reach of Football in that area and people ripping flares may very well have put some of the local community off. The media will try and push the whole 'hooligan' agenda whenever they get a half a chance so why give them a reason to get on the high horse?

Whilst it was stupid to let off flares in the heat I doubt that we will get dragged into that group. To be fair we have only had a handful of incidents that have received 'large' exposure and if it wasn't for the heat the flares wouldn't have even been commented on.

I certainly hope not. We've seen multiple times that the media will try to rope us into that group whenever they get half a chance (that article the Sun ran a few weeks ago where half the altercations which were attributed to us were actually Victory fans is a great example) so I'd rather we don't give them any excuses.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone's saying a fire would eventuate from the smoke flare and on cement paving. It's the concept of seeing smoke, which signifies fire, in a brushfire area. The technicalities of the whole event probably suggest there's more chance of being hit by a bus than any danger. But reality is this, in the middle of the bush, 40+ degrees, smoke from a flare puts thoughts of bushfires, current bushfires blazing throughout victoria in people's minds. Equals negative image of the crowd and the game. You can throw all the technicalities or probabilities of any danger out the window, that the reality of people thinking.

Edited by n i k o

Must be wrong tread. I was hoping to read about the game which we won.

Please stop embellishing the topic of flares as media is already doing a magnificent job at it. Totally ignoring the fact there was a game of football which was watched by more people then they would like to......... And it wasn't afl

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 3

I'm simply trying to kill the belief that we only just avoided complete catastrophy yesterday. FFS, a jaded reporter writes a knee jerk reaction piece, and people suddenly jump on the bushfire bandwagon.

Its clear that despite all the firebans and fear of bushfires yesterday, the CFA in attendance did not react to the use of a single smokie. Therefore I'd argue that there was no risk from the use of it within the stadium.

I'm sure someone dropped a cigarette somewhere in the ground yesterday, maybe we should be looking to publicly execute them too?

That won't be necessary. Perhaps just asking the culprit to front up to Stewart Alexander to debate the merits of his actions would be sufficient.

NSW Fire and Rescue duty commander Stewart Alexander said it was unbelievable to think fans could take such a thoughtless risk in the middle of a packed crowd. 

"It's worrying, absolutely," he said. 

"Those flares obviously produce a lot of heat and all it takes is one errant spark or flame to start a serious fire, especially in those conditions where we had high wind and low humidity.

The problem isn't necessarily that one act, although it does have negative consequences for the Heart obviously. It's the mindset of a person who feels the need to light something like a flare on a day like yesterday (and there were several, going by the article). Someone who thinks that the 'total' in 'total fire ban' is apparently up for discussion.

I believe those responsible were caught on the day. This sort of thing is never planned by the group. It is only ever the individuals who decide to do this and always will be. Any more discussion regarding the flare that was deployed will result in warnings and/or bans.

Back on topic.

Kisbnorbo, you little ripper!!!!!!!

That won't be necessary. Perhaps just asking the culprit to front up to Stewart Alexander to debate the merits of his actions would be sufficient.

NSW Fire and Rescue duty commander Stewart Alexander said it was unbelievable to think fans could take such a thoughtless risk in the middle of a packed crowd.

"It's worrying, absolutely," he said.

"Those flares obviously produce a lot of heat and all it takes is one errant spark or flame to start a serious fire, especially in those conditions where we had high wind and low humidity.

The problem isn't necessarily that one act, although it does have negative consequences for the Heart obviously. It's the mindset of a person who feels the need to light something like a flare on a day like yesterday (and there were several, going by the article). Someone who thinks that the 'total' in 'total fire ban' is apparently up for discussion.

I think your issue is with idiots in general, instead of suggesting that a flare could have destroyed half of NSW.

Of course Mr Stewart has made those comments, it's his job. He also had a reporter pushing for comments which would support the contention of their article. I'm sure Mr Stewart has said that a lot of things can cause fires in his time. However despite the apparent risk, the men who work under him saw no need to stop the situation, as it was clearly deemed low risk.

You are clearly deeply concerned about fire safety, and I understand that, especially if you live in a rural area. I'm just trying to point out that this person wasn't the only risk to your personal safety yesterday, and certainly wasn't the greatest, and as such doesn't deserve all of your attention and paranoia today.

Try to focus on the fact that our club won outside of the state, and that 7000 people rocked up to a regional game in 40 degree heat. Outstanding day I thought.

• Like 1

I believe those responsible were caught on the day. This sort of thing is never planned by the group. It is only ever the individuals who decide to do this and always will be. Any more discussion regarding the flare that was deployed will result in warnings and/or bans.

Back on topic.

It would help for someone from Yarraside to write to the Border Mail and say this

Journalists will always look for 'the story'. We can make their job easier by presenting them with 'the story' in which case why make it easier by presenting them with the easy negative story? Why not invite her down to Melbourne to spend a game with the Yarraside 'cheer squad' so that she can write an informed article?

Edited by belaguttman

Aaaaand we're back on topic.... Cracking trip! Well worth the drive for the three points.

For all the people who want to voice their concerns and opions about flares, go start your own thread and bitch about them on there. Clearly u want to help the media focus on the one negative thing u could find and not focus on the positives like how we won away or that there were 7000 supporters there to watch a game that isn't the country's dominant sport.

No wonder Glory lost the game if that is the sort of' food' are happy to put into their bodies as a part of their recovery from that game

It's pretty standard in a lot of sports. When the cameras are in the changerooms after an AFL game, you will often see players sitting on the floor by themselves, with a whole large pizza sitting on the floor next to them. With how much they would have burnt off playing in yesterday's conditions, I don't think it really would have mattered what they ate on the trip back.

No wonder Glory lost the game if that is the sort of' food' are happy to put into their bodies as a part of their recovery from that game

It's pretty standard in a lot of sports. When the cameras are in the changerooms after an AFL game, you will often see players sitting on the floor by themselves, with a whole large pizza sitting on the floor next to them. With how much they would have burnt off playing in yesterday's conditions, I don't think it really would have mattered what they ate on the trip back.

That's when it matters the most, you have a 2 hour post exercise window to replenish muscle glycogen. 

That's when it matters the most, you have a 2 hour post exercise window to replenish muscle glycogen. 

It's not uncommon at all to eat exceptionally high carb food in these circumstances. You will regularly see tdf cyclists smash a coke at the top of a climb to replenish energy stores. Main concern is to stop them going hypoglycemic I'd imagine and in the conditions yesterday they would have burnt more fuel than normal.

Or dare I suggest that Perth use maccas as recovery food much in the same way we use wheelie bin ice baths? Perhaps Tony's back pocket isn't as healthy as it used to be.

I would have thought that they would have been better off with pasta? Isn't that what the professional cyclists use?

On a broader note, I would think player diet will be one of the things that will be improved under our new owners.

It's not uncommon at all to eat exceptionally high carb food in these circumstances. You will regularly see tdf cyclists smash a coke at the top of a climb to replenish energy stores. Main concern is to stop them going hypoglycemic I'd imagine and in the conditions yesterday they would have burnt more fuel than normal.

Or dare I suggest that Perth use maccas as recovery food much in the same way we use wheelie bin ice baths? Perhaps Tony's back pocket isn't as healthy as it used to be.

hs-dr-peter-larkins11.jpeg

Thanks for that, Doc.  :up:

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Yeah, look, I'm by no means an expert; I'm mainly going on just what I've seen (the aforementioned AFL examples) and a few other stories about the dietary habits of people like Michael Phelps, where the 'average Joe' problems of just eating a bunch of junk food all the time (and ridiculous amounts of it) aren't that they're not getting their required daily intake of certain things, it's just that they're going way over the daily intake of calories, which wouldn't seem to be a major issue with professional athletes, particularly ones who had just burnt as much as the Perth players.

My understanding was pretty much along the lines of this article and I just don't think it's realistic to expect athletes to entirely cut the occasional Maccas stop out of their diet (if it floats their boat):

Nutrition experts who concede this point might still argue that athletes need to be careful not to get too many of their calories from sugar or saturated fat.  But they would have a hard time backing up this argument with scientific evidence.  For example, the biggest problems with sugar are that it is readily converted to storage fat and that it causes insulin spikes that can lead to insulin resistance over time.  However, competitive athletes are continually depleting their muscles of glycogen, so that dietary sugar is preferentially used to replenish these critical energy stores and is not converted to body fat.  And even when it is converted to body fat, this fat is used in the next workout, so it doesn’t accumulate.  In addition, exercise greatly increases insulin sensitivity, so insulin resistance is unlikely to become a problem for the sugar-loving athlete who maintains a lean body composition.

And while it may have put a lot more attention on them, going in to a McDonald's in their team gear, really, if you're going to allow yourself one indulgence through the week, it makes sense to me that that would be the time to do it, when they've just finished the road trip from hell, most of them have probably lost a bit of weight from the game and they want to get the quickest and easiest thing possible to eat and get back to Perth ASAP.

Very happy with that win. 

Was tempted to make the trip but I had the National concert on last night so I couldn't do both, and with the delayed start I had to tape the game and watch it this morning. 

I thought we played pretty well and it was fairly entertaining, especially taking into consideration the oppressive conditions. 

In the first half we dominated the play, Perth only getting very rare forays forward and I think I remember just one patch of play where they retained possession for longer than 30 seconds in that entire half. Dugandzic should have at least forced a very good save with that fresh air swing but we were productive, attacking and defended well. 

Second half was good. Kisnorbo has been the danger man all season from corners, but was always off target until a couple of weeks ago. He's had some great chances like this since the opening round, and it's good to see he is now putting them away because he does have a knack of getting in a good spot to fire them in. 

Our demeanour changes though as soon as we hit the lead, it looked like we lost confidence and instead of being calm and composed o the ball we tended to just clear it for another Perth attack. It was only after they went down that Perth were able to retain possession, and I think this may be a remnant of Aloisi's tenure. Perth's goal to me felt inevitable, the corner we conceded was from rushed defending and I never felt comfortable that we were going to hold them out.

Thankfully Williams managed to get on the end of that beautiful through pass from Garrucio (credited to Behich in the Herald Sun today unfortunately) and we managed to hold on again, even though again we looked much less convincing after we hit the lead again. 

JVS has got the side playing patient, build up football with a side that now believes that not only can it win, but it can overcome deficits and setbacks. We do still look lost though once we hit the front and this is the next stage; getting us to the point where we hunt the two goals win with conviction instead of meekly defend our lead with an eye on the clock. 

Very happy with Mauk's game, he is already pretty good and will only get better with more gametime. Sign him on an extension please.

Ramsay continues his complete turnaround from spud to leading assist getter in recent games and attacking threat (He has the confidence and abaility to have shots from outside the box now that test the keeper, won't be long till he nails one again). 

Dugandzic is looking much better, although I hate his whole cramp act at the end of every game where we stand to get a result. 

Murdocca's effort was great, just keeps going. I wish he could shoot cause he gets in some good positions just through his workrate and it would be good if he could just unleash a shot instead of having to pass to a worse positioned player. 

Behich is still frustrating me. He is good offensively but he still commits at least one major stuff up a match and Perth could very easily have gone up in that first half when he screwed up that pass. 

Hoffman continues his rise to solid squad member. He isn't a star, but he is decent at right back and means that the one thing that Aloisi can write in his ahcievements section on his resume is "Turned the Jason Hoffman into a mediocre player". 

And full credit to Kisnorbo. In a side with 3 established centre backs who have all shown they are good enough in this league, after an unconvincing start with the club he has risen to be the best defensively of the lot, and an attacking threat as well. 

• Like 3

Yeah can't see anything wrong with a bit of Macca's in moderation, especially if you are a professional athlete. 

I know the humidity is different but Bulldogs players regularly lose 2-3 litres of sweat playing in Darwin so I would imagine yesterdays weather would have been similarly taxing and their energy reserves would have been severely depleted.

I know Brisbane Lions back in the early 2000's when they were awesome used to feed their players pizza straight after a game just to help bring their body levels back to normal. And there are probably healthier options but their argument was that pizza was one of the few foods the players would willingly eat after running that much, which tends to kill your appetite.

Post-match press conference with JVS: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/videos/all/melbourne-heart-press-conference/777699/9968/1042/1

JVS said 'He [Mauk] did very well this week at training, last week I watched him in the youth team and he did very well.  We decided to put him in the position of Orlando and he did very well. We took him off because he was tired'

He also gave some praise to substitutes Garuccio, Kalmar and Williams.

Back on topic.

It would help for someone from Yarraside to write to the Border Mail and say this

I know that members that were taken out by police were not the actual ones lighting the flares. So No.