Melbourne Football

What jerseys colours do we favour next season irrespective of the franchise name?

belaguttman

Club colours from next season?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What colours do we want to play in from next season irrespective of the franchise name?

• Red & White - same home jersey and away jersey designs
    • Red & White but new home jersey and away jersey designs
    • change of colours home and away
    • different home colours but red and white away colours
    • Red & White home jersey but different away colours

IMO the main issues with our away kit are:

- it's ugly - the sash is far too wide, and combining what is basically a white jersey with white shorts makes us look like a bunch of nancy boys;

- it is psychologically associated with failure and our record of just one win away from Victoria in well over two years.

On a more general note, I see no reason to wear a change kit unless there is a colour clash with our opponents' home kit - when the change kit should be completely different and have no possibility of being confused with that of the home team. Many of the away kits in the A-League are unsatisfactory in that regard IMO.

Aha as a Swansea supporter I disagree here :P

• Like 1

Actually wouldn't mind something similar to Stoke City. Red and white home stripes, sky blue away with sash - except red instead of navy. Keeps the red and white, keeps the history of the away jersey with the sash, gives mcfc their sky blue.

There are certainly ways to embrace the old and the new. Great to see so many passionate opinions being displayed around here.

I have a feeling that if they change the colours we may find that they argue that we are red and white and going to sky blue and white. Ending up majority white with sky blue like how currently our kit is mainly red

Huh?

Well I think they may say to argue for a colour change., I know you don't want a colour change but our compromise is we want to change the club colours to sky blue and white so we are keeping one of the original colours and therefore not changing everything about the club.

I have a feeling that if they change the colours we may find that they argue that we are red and white and going to sky blue and white. Ending up majority white with sky blue like how currently our kit is mainly red

Huh?

Well I think they may say to argue for a colour change., I know you don't want a colour change but our compromise is we want to change the club colours to sky blue and white so we are keeping one of the original colours and therefore not changing everything about the club.

Ok I see what you mean, and let me say just because they keep the colour white in there no one is going to see it that way. I'd be totally amazed if you can think of anyone that has ever associated us with the colour white as opposed to red.

Huh?

Ok I see what you mean, and let me say just because they keep the colour white in there no one is going to see it that way. I'd be totally amazed if you can think of anyone that has ever associated us with the colour white as opposed to red.

Yes and I doubt they would treat us as quite that gullible. 

Huh? Well I think they may say to argue for a colour change., I know you don't want a colour change but our compromise is we want to change the club colours to sky blue and white so we are keeping one of the original colours and therefore not changing everything about the club. Ok I see what you mean, and let me say just because they keep the colour white in there no one is going to see it that way. I'd be totally amazed if you can think of anyone that has ever associated us with the colour white as opposed to red.

Yes and I doubt they would treat us as quite that gullible.

I agree with you both. I can just see them attempting to say something along those lines

I love the sash more than the stripes and I think the Kappa design is better than the Rebook, but it is an away/Clash strip so it should be different colours to the red and White.

Its pretty much an all-white kit.  No other team plays at home in all-white.

Personally I like our away kit, as much the red and white stripes.

But as middle ground offering to our overlords, would agree to changing the away kit.

Bayern Munich crest has blue in it but the their home strip is basically RED with White stripes. This could be an approach that MCFC might come up with. Add a splash blue to the crest along with the existing Red & White. But the home strip remains Red & White. If MCFC would like to have a common and recognisable theme to MCFC, NYC FC and MHFC then the choice of at least one common color in the design of the crest could do it for promotional purposes.

A step further is the Atletico Madrid style strip with Red & White top and Blue shorts.

Just musing.

post-1942-0-55615300-1397071791_thumb.jp

post-1942-0-63993900-1397071900_thumb.jp

post-1942-0-44884700-1397072694_thumb.jp

Edited by HEARTinator

Bayern Munich crest has blue in it but the their home strip is basically RED with White stripes. This could be an approach that MCFC might come up with. Add a splash blue to the crest along with the existing Red & White. But the home strip remains Red & White. If MCFC would like to have a common and recognisable theme to MCFC, NYC FC and MHFC then the choice of at least one common color in the design of the crest could do it for promotional purposes.

A step further is the Atletico Madrid style strip with Red & White top and Blue shorts.

Just musing.

Unfortunately - but completely understandably - debates on such things as colours do tend to become polarised, and people who mention or propose the possibility of compromise tend to be ridiculed.

If compromise is considered on this issue there are many different possibilities that could incorporate the three colours; blue shorts and socks is one of them.

I'm all in favour of retaining our present colours, but in fact I think we could actually finish up with a really great kit if we did have to end up with a compromise. New York is different because it's a start-up club, but if CFG take control of any more existing clubs with existing colours, then what they do - if anything - with Heart could serve as a model for those clubs as well.

Just musing.

Unfortunately - but completely understandably - debates on such things as colours do tend to become polarised, and people who mention or propose the possibility of compromise tend to be ridiculed.

If compromise is considered on this issue there are many different possibilities that could incorporate the three colours; blue shorts and socks is one of them.

I'm all in favour of retaining our present colours, but in fact I think we could actually finish up with a really great kit if we did have to end up with a compromise. New York is different because it's a start-up club, but if CFG take control of any more existing clubs with existing colours, then what they do - if anything - with Heart could serve as a model for those clubs as well.

I have no issue with compromise, but it needs to done in the proper meaning of the word, in consolation with the members/supporters. 

Just musing.

I have no issue with compromise, but it needs to done in the proper meaning of the word, in consolation with the members/supporters. 

I won't go into detail because it will just inflame passions all over again, but I reckon the simplest and best way forward is to leave the colours alone for the time being. Let the new order settle in for a season or two, get some results on the board, and then for CFG to come to the supporters looking for a way of recognising that we are one of a family of clubs whilst visibly retaining our identity and heritage. There's always a way if you look for it.

I've been involved in industrial relations disputes where tempers were high and insults were flying. Once everyone settled down and actually looked for a way forward then there always was one and no-one lost face.

• Like 1

Just musing.

I won't go into detail because it will just inflame passions all over again, but I reckon the simplest and best way forward is to leave the colours alone for the time being. Let the new order settle in for a season or two, get some results on the board, and then for CFG to come to the supporters looking for a way of recognising that we are one of a family of clubs whilst visibly retaining our identity and heritage. There's always a way if you look for it.

I've been involved in industrial relations disputes where tempers were high and insults were flying. Once everyone settled down and actually looked for a way forward then there always was one and no-one lost face.

Agree to that. Hopefully if the new owners start talking to the existing fans a lot of the heat will be taken out of this issue. Right now the silence is just fuel on the fire.

• Like 1

jw1739 you know you may be right. Maybe to keep the old supporters but bring in the new ones they might have a compromise wth the colours. However they may also try to slowly eradicate the current colours over time.

I like what you're saying and the beauty about Man City taking ownership of the current Heart (as opposed to Heart becoming defunct and them starting a new club) is that history will always show that we played in Red & White and we often see similar history around the world dictate what colours teams often wear. One example is Man City wearing the black and red stripes!

The Red & White is literally stitched to the fabric of this club and as long as the encyclo/wikipedias show that, the red and white will always remain part of "The Heart".

• Like 1

What really surprises me about all this as Man City seem to be behaving contrary to everything we know about them on this issue.  Ok we know they don't like to use the media and that fits, but:

• all the Man City faithful kept saying how big they are on consultation, yet they have done virtually none on this pivotal issue.
  • Man City faithful assure us they "say what they do then do what they say", they SAID they'd consult, but haven't started yet and its almost the end of the season.
  • All the announcements in the beginning were so pro-football and free of marketing bull, it was a breathe of fresh air.  Changing jerseys is ALL marketing bull and nothing about football, yet they seem to be contemplating it.
  • Typically their announcements are so, well, SENSIBLE.  Take the proposed tour, canned because the fans will only want to see Aguero, Yaya Toure and Silva etc, regardless of the talents of the "no -names"
  • They don't have a reputation for riding roughshod over supporters in Manchester
  • Like 3

We could be just incredibly paranoid and might realise that a change of colour was taken off the table the moment they realised that Melbourne City is red and white.

I'm just hoping we're blowing this out of proportion and we'll find that Melbourne City "The Heart" FC next season will be wearing Red & White stripes :-)

• Like 1

Just refreshing our minds as to what was actually written on 24th January. The italics are mine.

Dear Members and Supporters,

It was announced yesterday that Manchester City Football Club, in partnership with the ownership group of the Melbourne Storm, had successfully acquired Melbourne Heart FC.

Today, on our first full day, the work has begun to help your Club to fulfill its immense potential both on and off the field, within Australia and beyond.

A lot has been written overnight about Manchester City’s entry into Australian football, the city of Melbourne, and the Hyundai A-League. It is our view that we are at the very beginning of a significant opportunity. There is a lot to be done and we are very excited to start that work today.

The first thing we intend to do is listen, learn and better understand every aspect of the Club. In the last 24 hours, we have met with members of the Club‘s management. We have also met with John van ‘t Schip, his coaches and the players. The Director of Football at Manchester City FC, Txiki Begiristain, and the Director of the City Football Academy, Brian Marwood, have already watched their first training session.

Naturally, this process will also include hearing from fans, members and partners that have supported this Club during its short history. We want to listen and learn first, and take well-supported decisions immediately thereafter.

The one thing we already know is that we will work hard to deliver very good football. Melbourne coaches and players will have access to City’s world-class global football resources, including scouting, coaching, human performance and performance analysis. It is also expected that players and coaches from Melbourne will spend time at the City Football Academy (CFA) - a world-class facility for football training and development that will open adjacent to the Etihad Stadium in Manchester in July 2014.

I understand that many of you will have questions about the future of the Club. We are committed to sharing information with you as soon as we can. However, as I stated yesterday, out of respect for the players and coaching staff in the middle of the Hyundai A-League season, we will not be making any more major announcements until the end of the current season.

In the meantime, we should all ensure that the team on the pitch enjoys all of our support for a strong and successful remainder of the season.

Yours sincerely,

Ferran Soriano
CEO, Manchester City Football Club

If we assume that the people consulted are a mix of club staff, fans, members, sponsors, journalists, league officials and the general public how do we know that the consulting process ain´t in full swing?

Got a feeling that whatever the announcement will be in regards to colours a new shirt released in time for the WC build up might appeal to the marketing guys.

Edited by M13

If we assume that the people consulted are a mix of club staff, fans, members, sponsors, journalists, league officials and the general public how do we know that the consulting process ain´t in full swing?

Got a feeling that whatever the announcement will be in regards to colours a new shirt released in time for the WC build up might appeal to the marketing guys.

I'd be surprised if it isn't already underway. I would think they would start with FFA and sponsors. They don't have to conduct a poll to know that it is highly unlikely that members and supports would be in favour of any change, so I would expect members to be consulted on alternatives only when ticks have been placed in the boxes further up the approvals chain. No point in getting any sort of approval (however reluctant) from fans if there will be a flat "no" from FFA or sponsors.

So far I'm quite surprised that we haven't seen any real heavy hand from the new owners. JvS has been re-appointed - I did think that City would bring in a new coach - and we've seen a number of players re-signed where again I though we would have a lot more new blood. We've seen no changes in administration so far, and in fact it looks as though JD will continue in his role - no point in him going to Manchester if he is not.

Perhaps the tsunami of change is about to hit. Perhaps not. I may be naive, but I still think we will be "...a Melbourne club for Melbourne people."

I'd be surprised if it isn't already underway. I would think they would start with FFA and sponsors. They don't have to conduct a poll to know that it is highly unlikely that members and supports would be in favour of any change, so I would expect members to be consulted on alternatives only when ticks have been placed in the boxes further up the approvals chain. No point in getting any sort of approval (however reluctant) from fans if there will be a flat "no" from FFA or sponsors.

So far I'm quite surprised that we haven't seen any real heavy hand from the new owners. JvS has been re-appointed - I did think that City would bring in a new coach - and we've seen a number of players re-signed where again I though we would have a lot more new blood. We've seen no changes in administration so far, and in fact it looks as though JD will continue in his role - no point in him going to Manchester if he is not.

Perhaps the tsunami of change is about to hit. Perhaps not. I may be naive, but I still think we will be "...a Melbourne club for Melbourne people."

I think Monday they will start everything and descisions already made will be made public. Maybe even as soon as the whistle sounds tonight but I doubt it

• 1 month later...