Melbourne Football

MVFC signs Besart Berisha

AntiScum

Would take but can't see him leaving. Especially after they win the title this year

Can't see much motivation for him to come here at this point to be honest.

Weather's nicer up there, probably on a decent wage and of course he's winning things.

Money talks in Football and if you can throw a decent amount his way it would be hard to say no to. (Melbourne also has a decent Albanian population so it would also draw more supporters to the club and no doubt he would love the added attention)

Show him that a new project is underway and you just never know, you have to submit an offer to know where you stand.

Weather's nicer up there, probably on a decent wage and of course he's winning things.

He lives in Brisbane

And apart from the occaisional hurricane their weathers normally marginally better yeah? haha

I don't know, money does talk at the end of the day, but we're just such a shambles at the moment that I'd be worried that'd scare him off. Maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by King Malta

Would take but can't see him leaving. Especially after they win the title this year

Money talks in Football and if you can throw a decent amount his way it would be hard to say no to. (Melbourne also has a decent Albanian population so it would also draw more supporters to the club and no doubt he would love the added attention)

Show him that a new project is underway and you just never know, you have to submit an offer to know where you stand.

Lol, can we please stop using the "Melbourne has a decent *insert relevant nationality* population so it would also draw more supporters" line...?  :P The evidence is there, it has never, and I doubt it will ever be factual in our league.

Anyone big enough to draw in droves of people of a certain nationality would more than likely be a big enough name to appeal to the broader community.

• Like 3

This morning I watched Leicester v Derby. The pace, skill, control and vision of the English second tier is far above that of A-League standard. Especially Melbourne Heart.

If we can get a proven goal scorer at A-League level like Berisha, Smeltz or Van Dijk, I would be very happy. Anyone of a higher quality would be great if we can find them. There are after all millions of people who play football. Surely we can attract someone who can bang in the goals for us.

would take probably about 500k to get him here.

apparently he is on 350 atm and will be hard to move

Table an offer he cant refuse and Brisbane cant match and take it from there. No point sitting back and saying this and that just do it and see what happens. Dont wait for thinks to happen MAKE THEM HAPPEN!!

New owners etc with ambition and a high profile coach could do anything and attract anyone. 

It seriously couldnt get any worse then it already is and the only way is up!

Edited by AntiScum

There are guys in second divisions throughout Europe that would make Berisha look shit it's not funny. Instead of trying to poach him we should be scouting these leagues.

Heck Brisbane did it with Broich and Berisha. Look how that turned out.

As someone said the English Championship is superior to the A League. Anyone who says any different is lying. There are goalscorer aplenty there who would dominate our league.

You want ambition. Go there. That's ambition.

• Like 5

Lol, can we please stop using the "Melbourne has a decent *insert relevant nationality* population so it would also draw more supporters" line...?  :P The evidence is there, it has never, and I doubt it will ever be factual in our league.

Anyone big enough to draw in droves of people of a certain nationality would more than likely be a big enough name to appeal to the broader community.

This. 

Del Piero anyone?

Remember when we almost signed Grant Holt?

I'd dare say that our season wouldn't be like this if we got him.

Unfortunately our ex-coach kept the strategy he had "devised" for Holt but then applied it to his 5'2" replacement.

We signed Engelaar instead of Holt. Doubtlessly Brisbane's renown hard man "Tomahawk Tommy" Broich would have dispatched Holt in similar fashion if he'd been in Lismore instead.

Disagree. The right signing hasn't been made yet. Berisha won't do shit, but if an A-League team signed Cana you telling me a bunch of Albanians wouldn't show up? Whereas he isn't a huge name in world football so wouldn't have much of an appeal to the broader community. What if we signed Pandev, you don't think a bunch of Macedonians would show up. Though he would have a bigger appeal to the broader community than Cana, still not massive.

You need an ultra-patriotic nationality, with a star that is so big in relation to not just all their other football players, but sports people in general (Pandev is the perfect example TBH).

Disagree. The right signing hasn't been made yet. Berisha won't do shit, but if an A-League team signed Cana you telling me a bunch of Albanians wouldn't show up? Whereas he isn't a huge name in world football so wouldn't have much of an appeal to the broader community. What if we signed Pandev, you don't think a bunch of Macedonians would show up. Though he would have a bigger appeal to the broader community than Cana, still not massive.

You need an ultra-patriotic nationality, with a star that is so big in relation to not just all their other football players, but sports people in general (Pandev is the perfect example TBH).

Mifsud is exactly that, tbph. 

There's very similar levels of patriotism and population between Macedonians/Maltese.

There is no doubt there are more people of Maltese heritage at games today then there may have been a few years ago, just like we had some Brazilians showing up in the earlier days, but it's just a drop in the ocean in terms of the broader ethnic build-up of your average home crowd.

Edited by LR9

There's very similar levels of patriotism and population between Macedonians/Maltese.

There is no doubt there are more people of Maltese heritage at games today then there may have been a few years ago, just like we had some Brazilians showing up in the earlier days, but it's just a drop in the ocean in terms of the broader ethnic build-up of your average home crowd.

I think there is a difference between a guy who won the Champions League and a guy who played for Coventry. I know it's all relative, so Mifsud might be regarded as highly amongst Maltese, but still.

I think there is a difference between a guy who won the Champions League and a guy who played for Coventry. I know it's all relative, so Mifsud might be regarded as highly amongst Maltese, but still.

There's a difference in terms of the ability of the player and their overall reputation amongst the greater footballing public (Pandev would clearly be well above Mifsud in both) but in terms of their importance to their ethnic communities it wouldn't be such a huge gulf (if at all).

Mifsud is regarded as second best Maltese footballer ever. He's scored more international goals for Malta than anyone else, has played club football at a higher level than just about every other Maltese footballer in recent memory (I think Bogdanovic was the only other to play in the Championship in recent times) and is the captain of the national team, he's a hero to the Maltese people.

• Like 2

There's a difference in terms of the ability of the player and their overall reputation amongst the greater footballing public (Pandev would clearly be well above Mifsud in both) but in terms of their importance to their ethnic communities it wouldn't be such a huge gulf (if at all).

Mifsud is regarded as second best Maltese footballer ever. He's scored more international goals for Malta than anyone else, has played club football at a higher level than just about every other Maltese footballer in recent memory (I think Bogdanovic was the only other to play in the Championship in recent times) and is the captain of the national team, he's a hero to the Maltese people.

josh kennedy i reckon

Question

Would Mifsud work a lot better with Josh Kennedy as a strike partner?

I think he would. Would be dangerous in the air and with the ball on the deck.

I believe we would have a striking partnership that we even give the scum a mega chubby

Question

Would Mifsud work a lot better with Josh Kennedy as a strike partner?

I think he would. Would be dangerous in the air and with the ball on the deck.

I believe we would have a striking partnership that we even give the scum a mega chubby

Nah, Mifsud should move on I reckon..

• Like 1

Can this thread be shut?

So much dribble being spoken.

And Brisbane are having a struggle keeping him in Australia atm let alone the worst team that has ever been in the aleauge.

Please mods, /thread

Brisbane are struggling to keep him because he has to fit under their salary cap. Berisha now deserves international marquee status (and wages) at an a league club.

I think there's a good chance Berisha will play at another a league club next season

Can this thread be shut?

So much dribble being spoken.

And Brisbane are having a struggle keeping him in Australia atm let alone the worst team that has ever been in the aleauge.

Please mods, /thread

Brisbane are struggling to keep him because he has to fit under their salary cap. Berisha now deserves international marquee status (and wages) at an a league club.

I think there's a good chance Berisha will play at another a league club next season

No brisbane are struggling to keep him because there is plenty of interest in him from the lower leagues in Europe.