Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

I think Murfy's assessment is pretty spot on - funny about that! What will happen is:

1. 50% of the current squad will be kept on due to contract, continuity etc. This is not a bad thing as most of them are adequate and would have to benefit from the decent training and skills development programme that MCFC will bring.

2. The remaining half of the squad can be filled with competent players who would comprise the majority of the starting line up.

3. A "big name" player will come in to be the crowd draw card. Cole fits well here.

4. Substantial improvements will be made in the off field area which will be a major factor

i do not care for a crowd puller at all. Id like to buy a player that has a bigger impact on-field than off

• Like 1

I think Murfy's assessment is pretty spot on - funny about that! What will happen is:

1. 50% of the current squad will be kept on due to contract, continuity etc. This is not a bad thing as most of them are adequate and would have to benefit from the decent training and skills development programme that MCFC will bring.

2. The remaining half of the squad can be filled with competent players who would comprise the majority of the starting line up.

3. A "big name" player will come in to be the crowd draw card. Cole fits well here.

4. Substantial improvements will be made in the off field area which will be a major factor

i do not care for a crowd puller at all. Id like to buy a player that has a bigger impact on-field than off

Which is exactly what Manchester City has said. A big player rather than a big name, because a big player will become a big name.

There won't be any 30-somethings looking for one last pay-packet either.

Probably going to be the most agonising off-season so far as we wait for changes to be announced both on and off the field.

Yeah. I have no idea exactly what it is going to be like but you may have to get used to the kind of speculation that European clubs face - and consequently having to get used to not signing 80% of the players you are linked with.

Either way, it's going to be interesting.

Marquees is a given. Colour change is not. Every mention has come from outside, until we have official confirmation from the club, I'm not buying into the panic. All we can do for the time being is present a united front as fans on how we feel, and trust that our new owners will listen - which they have said they will.

• Like 3

Marquees is a given. Colour change is not. Every mention has come from outside, until we have official confirmation from the club, I'm not buying into the panic. All we can do for the time being is present a united front as fans on how we feel, and trust that our new owners will listen - which they have said they will.

I still think (which may be just a hope) that they will negotiate a change in terms of us changing the name to melboune city and then keeping the colours as a comprimise. The colours have a good argument in that the colours of the city of Melbourne are red and white which is why they were chosen in the first place.

Won't it be great when all the discussion is about how bloody marvellous it is to be a supporter of this club, how good the football is, how good the players are, that the admin. listens to our every word, that the food at AAMI is the best, how many trophies we've won, how the whole southern end is "active" (and they all wear "approved" clothing)...and the only bloody complaint is how difficult it is to get a seat at AAMI for home Asian Cup matches and pre-season friendlies against MCFC and NYCFC?

I just wonder if I'll live long enough to experience it all.

• Like 1

Ok we can have 4 a season playing 10 games each... If City do their homework we could have them spread out and have mabey two throught the whole season. Also apart from the 5 VISA spots we can bring in one other international who gets an Aussie or Newzealand citizenship eg. Traore, Cassio...

And also the Aussie marque spot.

So no exucess in quality players for next season, when you could fill in 11 spots!

The guest player thing never really works out, because even if he does well he's gone by February.  We had Madaschi then couldn't win another game.  Maybe if we had a few injuries we could get an attacker in for extra options.

I thought a guest player could come at any time during the season, for a maximum of 10 matches, and can play in the finals provided he has played 4 league matches?

According to SoccerStoppageTime, Apostolis (or Paul) Giannou, the 24 year Greek Australian striker (although he seems to play in other positions as well), is keen to return to Australia and play in the A-League. 

He grew up in Melbourne, so presumably he would be interested in joining a Melbourne club.

He's spent the past 5 years in Greece's top flight competition, including a spell at big club PAOK.

Giannou seems to have been used an as impact sub for much of his time in Greece, although he was a regular starter this season. In the league he's scored 15 goals over 3400 minutes, so 1 goal every 227 mins, which is a bit better than Williams and a bit worse than Babalj's strike-rates at Heart, I believe.

Could be a good third choice striker. Or possibly him and Williams could compete to get on the bench, to be the impact sub (or second choice striker). Anyway, I'm hoping that Heart not only sign a marquee striker, but also sign another striker as well (ideally a young Australian striker. Someone who might get better over time). As we've learnt this season, things can go pretty pear-shaped if a club rests too many hopes on the first choice striker (and only has Williams as a backup). If there's one thing I do hope that Heart emulate about Man City it's their policy of being front-heavy, because it's better to have too many strikers than too few.

• Like 1

FFS, not this colour shit again :droy:

hyperbole at it's finest. never seen so many people outraged about journalist comments that don't even quote a source.

yes davutovic is usually quite reliable, but he's a journo ffs.

What's the alternative?

I would rather be alarmed now and do something to prevent them changing our colours, then sit back on the off chance the status quo is kept.

According to SoccerStoppageTime, Apostolis (or Paul) Giannou, the 24 year Greek Australian striker (although he seems to play in other positions as well), is keen to return to Australia and play in the A-League.

He grew up in Melbourne, so presumably he would be interested in joining a Melbourne club.

He's spent the past 5 years in Greece's top flight competition, including a spell at big club PAOK.

Giannou seems to have been used an as impact sub for much of his time in Greece, although he was a regular starter this season. In the league he's scored 15 goals over 3400 minutes, so 1 goal every 227 mins, which is a bit better than Williams and a bit worse than Babalj's strike-rates at Heart, I believe.

Could be a good third choice striker. Or possibly him and Williams could compete to get on the bench, to be the impact sub (or second choice striker). Anyway, I'm hoping that Heart not only sign a marquee striker, but also sign another striker as well (ideally a young Australian striker. Someone who might get better over time). As we've learnt this season, things can go pretty pear-shaped if a club rests too many hopes on the first choice striker (and only has Williams as a backup). If there's one thing I do hope that Heart emulate about Man City it's their policy of being front-heavy, because it's better to have too many strikers than too few.

He scored a absolute cracker last week.

Massive fan. Top player. Another fuck up by aloisi for not signing him

FFS, not this colour shit again :droy:

hyperbole at it's finest. never seen so many people outraged about journalist comments that don't even quote a source.

yes davutovic is usually quite reliable, but he's a journo ffs.

What's the alternative?

I would rather be alarmed now and do something to prevent them changing our colours, then sit back on the off chance the status quo is kept.

i'll be more interested in the 'saga' when the media start quoting reliable sources. just because DD is/was in manchester doesn't bring any further truth to the story.

i for one will be awaiting ontheball's confirmation before i believe anything

Interesting on article on Matthew Spiranovic. Apparently every A-League is effectively interested in signing him when he comes off contract with WSW at the end of the season:

Spiranovic weighs overseas options

2 April 2014

Dave Lewis

Australia defender Matthew Spiranovic is ready to resist A-League offers as he eyes a return to Europe or Asia.

The Western Sydney centre-back – shaping as the likely lynchpin of the Socceroos’ defence at the looming FIFA World Cup in Brazil – has been a mainstay of the Wanderers' back four since arriving on a one-season deal at the club after an ill-fated stint in Qatar last October.

And though the Wanderers – and eight other A-League clubs – have expressed an interest in keeping him in Australia, the 25-year-old former Nurnberg and Urawa Reds stopper feels he has unfinished business overseas.

Interest in the ball-playing Spiranovic has soared after a string of accomplished performances under the tutelage of coach Tony Popovic and representatives from a number of Dutch clubs made the trek to London last month to watch home in action during Australia’s 4-3 loss to Ecuador.

There is also believed be interest in Asia, and also Germany, for Spiranovic – who was linked with an Australian marquee spot at Sydney FC last December in an offer reported to be $500,000 a season.

Club sources in Australia have confirmed that such is Spiranovic’s current cachet that he would attract Australian marquee status at several A-League clubs.

Spiranovic made it clear on his arrival back in Australia last year that his long-term goal was to return to Europe – where he feels he has much still to prove – and though he has flourished at WSW that ambition has not dimmed.

He returned to action for the Wanderers in their 3-0 over Perth Glory on 23 March and came off the bench in their 2-1 AFC Champions League loss to Kawasaki Frontale on Tuesday night, having missed two weeks with a hamstring injury picked up in Australia's defeat to Ecuador.

The Wanderers have not given up hope of retaining Spiranovic, whose ultimate future may not be determined until after the World Cup where he is in pole position to start against Chile, Netherlands and Spain in Australia’s Group B games in Brazil.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1185737/Spiranovic-weighs-overseas-options

Heart could pretty much be as short of defenders at the end of the season as Heart is short of strikers right now. If Behich goes back to Turkey (which is seemingly certain), Gerhardt leaves (which looks pretty likely) and Mitchinson, Vrankovic and Walker leave (as has been mentioned on this forum), then Heart would only have 3 defenders left: Kisnorbo, Wielaert and Hoffman.

So Spiranovic could be a pretty handy acquisition. I think he's somewhat over-hyped and overrated, but still he could be a fine signing if Heart were to sign him. The only issue is that Spiranovic would most likely take up the Australian marquee spot, according to the above report. Might he be worth it? It could be argued that with Aaron Mooy coming to Heart, and with talks ongoing with Engelaar, and Mauk and Kalmar probably being around next season, we don't need a marquee no 10, so Heart could use a marquee spot on a striker, and the aussie marquee spot on Spiranovic.

At the end of the day though, as much as I hate Heart leaking soft goals and would really like a much improved defence, I probably think he's not worth a maquee spot (and he'd have to play very well at the World Cup to convince me of otherwise). Heart should probably use the 2 marquee spots on a no 9 and a no 10, and hopefully Heart can bring in enough quality defenders to assist Kisnorbo, Wielaert and Hoffman next season.

With that confirmation of Mooy on page 76 of today's Sun there is the statement that we have 12 players contracted for next season, including Germano and Wielaert. So the following 9 players are confirmed:

Redmayne

Velaphi

Hoffman

Williams

Mooy

Germano

Wielaert

Murdocca

Ramsay.

Leaving us to speculate who the other 3 are.

Interesting on article on Matthew Spiranovic. Apparently every A-League is effectively interested in signing him when he comes off contract with WSW at the end of the season:

Spiranovic weighs overseas options

2 April 2014

Dave Lewis

Australia defender Matthew Spiranovic is ready to resist A-League offers as he eyes a return to Europe or Asia.

The Western Sydney centre-back – shaping as the likely lynchpin of the Socceroos’ defence at the looming FIFA World Cup in Brazil – has been a mainstay of the Wanderers' back four since arriving on a one-season deal at the club after an ill-fated stint in Qatar last October.

And though the Wanderers – and eight other A-League clubs – have expressed an interest in keeping him in Australia, the 25-year-old former Nurnberg and Urawa Reds stopper feels he has unfinished business overseas.

Interest in the ball-playing Spiranovic has soared after a string of accomplished performances under the tutelage of coach Tony Popovic and representatives from a number of Dutch clubs made the trek to London last month to watch home in action during Australia’s 4-3 loss to Ecuador.

There is also believed be interest in Asia, and also Germany, for Spiranovic – who was linked with an Australian marquee spot at Sydney FC last December in an offer reported to be $500,000 a season.

Club sources in Australia have confirmed that such is Spiranovic’s current cachet that he would attract Australian marquee status at several A-League clubs.

Spiranovic made it clear on his arrival back in Australia last year that his long-term goal was to return to Europe – where he feels he has much still to prove – and though he has flourished at WSW that ambition has not dimmed.

He returned to action for the Wanderers in their 3-0 over Perth Glory on 23 March and came off the bench in their 2-1 AFC Champions League loss to Kawasaki Frontale on Tuesday night, having missed two weeks with a hamstring injury picked up in Australia's defeat to Ecuador.

The Wanderers have not given up hope of retaining Spiranovic, whose ultimate future may not be determined until after the World Cup where he is in pole position to start against Chile, Netherlands and Spain in Australia’s Group B games in Brazil.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1185737/Spiranovic-weighs-overseas-options

Heart could pretty much be as short of defenders at the end of the season as Heart is short of strikers right now. If Behich goes back to Turkey (which is seemingly certain), Gerhardt leaves (which looks pretty likely) and Mitchinson, Vrankovic and Walker leave (as has been mentioned on this forum), then Heart would only have 3 defenders left: Kisnorbo, Wielaert and Hoffman.

So Spiranovic could be a pretty handy acquisition. I think he's somewhat over-hyped and overrated, but still he could be a fine signing if Heart were to sign him. The only issue is that Spiranovic would most likely take up the Australian marquee spot, according to the above report. Might he be worth it? It could be argued that with Aaron Mooy coming to Heart, and with talks ongoing with Engelaar, and Mauk and Kalmar probably being around next season, we don't need a marquee no 10, so Heart could use a marquee spot on a striker, and the aussie marquee spot on Spiranovic.

At the end of the day though, as much as I hate Heart leaking soft goals and would really like a much improved defence, I probably think he's not worth a maquee spot (and he'd have to play very well at the World Cup to convince me of otherwise). Heart should probably use the 2 marquee spots on a no 9 and a no 10, and hopefully Heart can bring in enough quality defenders to assist Kisnorbo, Wielaert and Hoffman next season.

was only at wsw this season because there weren't any asian/european offers, no idea what will happen next season