Melbourne Football

Melbourne City's New HQ and Training Facility

Dylan

Got inside word of the new base we are building... Sounded mint the way it was explained, can't go into too much depth, however what I will say is from what I was told the most impressive thing was the actual pitches being built.... was still informed about the new building but that was less convincing and a bit more ambiguous (was informed about it but with very little detail.... from what was said it should be epic). 

I'm very confident the news will come out in the coming months, which will clear some questions that I still have

This guy knows what's going on...any updates @InMyHeart? 

• Like 1

I was thinking about this last night. Must be the best-kept secret ever.

If it isn't at Latrobe - and if it was at Latrobe surely someone would have noticed the development by now? - then my guess is that they've followed the Manchester model and bought or have a long-term lease on some industrial land somewhere. Development on these sorts of sites - and ours will be much smaller than the Manchester version - is quite easy to overlook, simply because of the nature of the site and its surroundings.

As an example, I used to play golf at Moorabbin occasionally. The lease expired and the course was closed, and is now being developed as an industrial complex - warehouses, head office complexes, etc. etc. Unless you're actually going to one of the companies in the complex you drive by the whole place without looking, and even if you do look you can't see what lies behind the offices that front the road.

So this is my best guess - this sort of light industrial area. Incidentally, there is no NIMBY risk with this sort of area either.

Time will tell - I might be completely wrong.

It is astonishing that there has been no leak of information whatsoever!

If it isn't at Latrobe - and if it was at Latrobe surely someone would have noticed the development by now? - then my guess is that they've followed the Manchester model and bought or have a long-term lease on some industrial land somewhere. Development on these sorts of sites - and ours will be much smaller than the Manchester version - is quite easy to overlook, simply because of the nature of the site and its surroundings.

As an example, I used to play golf at Moorabbin occasionally. The lease expired and the course was closed, and is now being developed as an industrial complex - warehouses, head office complexes, etc. etc. Unless you're actually going to one of the companies in the complex you drive by the whole place without looking, and even if you do look you can't see what lies behind the offices that front the road.

So this is my best guess - this sort of light industrial area. Incidentally, there is no NIMBY risk with this sort of area either.

Lot of land around La Trobe/Bundoora like that. Someone earlier in the thread hinted that they know some stuff about it and that it is close to La Trobe. Perhaps it's in the industrial areas on Bundoora then.

It's not a big secret if you go to the Uni. It's set on the grounds with a couple of beautiful pitches being developed.

The admin/players facilities are built and is a long narrow building facing the grounds. It has these silver cylindrical horizontal panels on the building. Gym, canteen, offices, massage area. Amazing what the contractors will tell you.

Not far from the big lake and pretty much totally open to anyone coming to the uni. :-)

• Like 1

As a previous player and student of La Trobe, my guess is that the development really isn't anything overly special, instead will most likely just be the pitch upgrades, as well as the destruction and then rebuilding of the shoddy little pavilion they currently have out there. I seriously doubt that they will make their own gym and pool facilities, the one at the uni is very quiet, and has everything they need already.

People have to remember that 'multi-million dollar construction' is nothing in Australia, wouldn't be surprised if a new irrigation system, grass covering and barriers already cost in excess of $1 Million.

Chuck an extra building with a few offices on top of that and some change rooms, and you've got yourself a decent sized construction fee.

Put it this way, I'd be incredibly surprised if there was a decent sized complex being constructed somewhere out there from scratch.

• Like 2

They've spent $5M. Perhaps you should go for a drive to LaTrobe then.

I would if it wasn't so fucking far away.

Anyway I hadn't seen your post above when I posted, but it sounds like the exact kind of thing I was imagining. And like I said, $5M really isn't that much when it comes to construction here.

It's not a big secret if you go to the Uni. It's set on the grounds with a couple of beautiful pitches being developed.

The admin/players facilities are built and is a long narrow building facing the grounds. It has these silver cylindrical horizontal panels on the building. Gym, canteen, offices, massage area. Amazing what the contractors will tell you.

Not far from the big lake and pretty much totally open to anyone coming to the uni. :-)

I'm surprised.

Matt Windley didn't seem to know where it is. I quote his article: "By that stage City could be nestled in its new training facility at a yet-to-be-unveiled location."

Edited by jw1739

I'm surprised.

Matt Windley didn't seem to know where it is. I quote his article: "By that stage City could be nestled in its new training facility at a yet-to-be-unveiled location."

I'm surprised.

is that the big lake near the david myers building? or closer to where they are based at the moment.

I'm surprised.

I'm surprised.

Matt Windley didn't seem to know where it is. I quote his article: "By that stage City could be nestled in its new training facility at a yet-to-be-unveiled location."is that the big lake near the david myers building? or closer to where they are based at the moment.

It's not very far from the fields they play on at present.

I'm surprised.

I'm surprised.

Matt Windley didn't seem to know where it is. I quote his article: "By that stage City could be nestled in its new training facility at a yet-to-be-unveiled location." is that the big lake near the david myers building? or closer to where they are based at the moment.

It's not very far from the fields they play on at present.

Come on Ray, could you could be a little more specific with this location? You know, perhaps look at a Melways and give us a reference square?

Real

Opposite side of the lake to the current field. Ground looks magnificent, not sure about the offices access restricted to that part.

Will be easier to keep the public out of here for better or worse

How big is it? And how many pitches? I wouldnt think too big for 5 mil

Ohhh right i know the place. Right across the road to the most dodgy industrial area youll ever see ahah.

Its modest but a great start and really, given the size if our club its what is to be expected. Im not sure too many a league clubs actually own their bases rather than lease them.

Ohhh right i know the place. Right across the road to the most dodgy industrial area youll ever see ahah.

Its modest but a great start and really, given the size if our club its what is to be expected. Im not sure too many a league clubs actually own their bases rather than lease them.

You know how CFG love their industrial areas...

You know how CFG love their industrial areas...

Well maybe one day they will buy west Heidelberg

Anyone visited Darebin International Sports Centre recently?

No. Why? Could it not be the spot?

Wouldn't have a clue to be honest. Is their construction work going on there?

I used to work at that complex and I think it's pretty safe to say that if significant upgrades on the outdoor fields were going on, the club would not have possibly been able to keep it under wraps. You'd be able to see everything quite clearly from Darebin Road.

So here it is, our new training facility. Nice little secluded bit of land and from that it looks like we'll have two football pitches with a building on the right. Just across the pond from our current area but it seems like it'll be detached from the uni and a place to call home. Brilliant, CFG. Simon Pearce is to be commended.

Image:

mcfc2.png

Finally home so I can upload a few photos.

Ray had a point about the site.  When I turned off the main drag the sign "construction traffic" was a give away, though i thought nothing of it yesterday.   The contractors were/are McMahons, well known for their golf courses (which makes them a sensible choice i guess).

attachicon.gifIMG_0541.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0544.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0548.JPG

City Blue on the sides of the pitch. Almost a giveaway in all honesty.

Yep, good call Ray. This must be it.

Just came back from a quick visit out there and saw exactly what Shahanga posted.

The fields whilst young, look immaculate. City blue perimeter of the pitches add to the feel (as the poster above states).

Those old admin (or whatever) buildings have been done up from the outside and are beginning to look slick.

Plenty of construction and keep out signs over the place.

You can get there from the first left turn off from the usual entrance on Kingsbury. You can also approach it from the otherside, which is Crissane Rd off Waterdale.

Edited by rass

It's interesting to reflect on what they've actually built after all the speculation over the last 12 months.

Talk and (strong) rumours that they were looking at ex-AFL inner city grounds all came to nought and random speculation of Manchester like facilities was also unfounded. The facility they have gone with in the end is effective rather than flash and of course a lot cheaper.

Still not clear to me if CFG have a purpose in Melbourne other than promoting Manchester City. Hopefully their purpose will become clearer with time.

I have an old Melways showing the buildings as the "Drama and Language Centre." Later called "La Trobe Melbourne Hall" I believe.

Thanks Shahanga for your detective work.

Are the buildings now our property or are we building our own on the blank site next to the pitches? Anyone who has been down there or are ITK aware?

It's interesting to reflect on what they've actually built after all the speculation over the last 12 months.

Talk and (strong) rumours that they were looking at ex-AFL inner city grounds all came to nought and random speculation of Manchester like facilities was also unfounded. The facility they have gone with in the end is effective rather than flash and of course a lot cheaper.

Still not clear to me if CFG have a purpose in Melbourne other than promoting Manchester City. Hopefully their purpose will become clearer with time.

I always thought if we were to see any extravagant spending from Melbourne City, the only area that it would potentially occur in would be tangible assets like facilities.

At the end of the day, even that hasn't happened, as I wouldn't consider this extravagant. The $5m price tag sounds about right for what a well resourced A-League club should be investing in facilities.

So this really is just further evidence to what I've been saying all along, that Melbourne City will have good backing and resources, but nothing extravagant. A budget fit to be a top team in the A-League, but not ridiculous spending that would never be profitable.

Hopefully now people can finally forget the fantasies that we will be paying $30m transfer fees and $10m a year salaries for marquees, it's clearly not happening.

This club is being run to eventually profit, same as Manchester City. Except the potential revenue at Manchester City is in the billions of $$$ a year. At Melbourne City it's in the 10s of millions at best. And the investment CFG makes in both clubs reflects this.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

In relation to our performances over the past 5 years I consider 5 million for fascilities to be quite generous. Down the track if the league keeps building and we have improved markedly and won the title and played in Asia and been successful then there is a good chance of the fascilities being upgraded as pointed out by City officials.

• Like 1

I'd say what's more important than the dollar figure spent on the training base is the quality of the training base. And Simon Pearce indicated in the article:

That the process to create the training base was meticulous, and that they did their due dilligence:

“We've gone about it in exactly the same way as we did the City Football Academy in Manchester. We've thought about it long and hard,” Melbourne City vice-chairman Simon Pearce said.

That the training base has a top class design, that matches the model for Manchester City's training base:

It's built on the same model as Manchester. It's a much smaller site, obviously, but because we invested so much time and effort in Manchester in developing the actual model for what an ideal training campus should look like, it is that in miniature without losing anything in scale.

And that the training base will not just have top pitches, but also very valuable infrastructure alongside the pitches, such as team rooms, offices, sports science/fitness infrastructure etc. This will all be the complete opposite of the 'wheelie bin' Melbourne Heart days, and the team and the club will be much better for it

“Our City Football Group team has been quietly developing the new Academy building, first-team facility and executive offices, and the whole Melbourne City organisation will move there shortly after the tour.”

If only because Melbourne City will fully have their own pitches, that they can use 24/7, that they don't have to share with several university football teams, the new training base will be a big upgrade on the previous arrangement.

And as someone who previously used the team room alongside the La Trobe playing field pitches, all of those buildings were dumps and are completely unfitting for a professional football team (the new paintjob hasn't made those 'buildings' any better either. The team will be much better for having actual proper buildings alongside where they train.

It may be a bit small if it's only 2 pitches, but the club does only have 2 teams, and those 2 teams only total about 40 players, so the amount of pitches doesn't seem like an issue to me. As long as the pitches that they do have are of a very high standard, then the pitches are all fine IMO. Also, it looks like the club is not cutting its ties with La Trobe, so the club will probably have at least 2 pitches at the new training base, and it would probably be able to use the 2 or 3 pitches at the current training location (the La Trobe playing fields) with very little difficulty, so the amount of pitches available to the club shouldn't be an issue at all.

A final point is that the club should benefit by having all of the club staff together. Previously, a lot of the club staff (admin. etc.) were based in university buildings, alongside classrooms and the offices of academics. So not only will the overall professionalism of the club go up, but the club should benefit by having the players, the football department and the admin all at the same location as well.

So all up the info that's available suggests to me that the training base will be more than adequate for the club, and most importantly I'm tipping the quality and the effectiveness of everything at the new training base to be top notch. And if the club needs more resources over the longer term, say in 5 or 10 years time, then CFG could always expand the training base.

• Like 1