Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

Well it's been reported Kennedy won't play until February and it wouldn't surprise me if Koren can't play until late December -calf injuries are notoriously tricky to recover from.

This was if he was selected for socceroos and he won't beStill essentially true, as the a league is basically suspended in January, so no one will play for us.

We should terminate all contracts as punishment.

I think the squad is going to the UAE for a mini camp in Jan Munn basically confirmed this on SEN yesterday

Well it's been reported Kennedy won't play until February and it wouldn't surprise me if Koren can't play until late December -calf injuries are notoriously tricky to recover from.

This was if he was selected for socceroos and he won't beStill essentially true, as the a league is basically suspended in January, so no one will play for us.

We should terminate all contracts as punishment.

I think the squad is going to the UAE for a mini camp in JanMunn basically confirmed this on SEN yesterday Munn or Ticker?

• 2 weeks later...

and then i realise he wont be playing til our 15th game of the season... more than half way through....FML we can never get any marquee signing right

Looking at Parrtalu who is still getting back to his full match fitness after 6 weeks in.

Eric is also Not caring an injury, younger and undoubtedly better over all physical shape than Jesus is.

Kennedy coming 15 games into the season, he will need additional 7 to 8 games to reach full match fitness.

His value won't be truly recognised till season is over.

Even though Kennedy has been coming back from an injury that happened around June, he did return to club football. He played 3 matches mid- to late-August, and was on the bench in September. Around then his Japanese club signed another striker and started playing him, very clearly IMO with an eye to the team transitioning to life without Kennedy, as Kennedy by then coming to Melbourne City was effectively a done deal. So Kennedy was fit enough for club football, and I reckon he's kept in decent fitness since then.

And fortunately for Melbourne City, the A-League goes on hiatus for 1 month around the start of January. Scott Munn has said the team will go to the UAE to train for the month to prepare for the 2nd half of the season, the remaining 14 games. So that whole month will provide the perfect opportunity to get Kennedy near 100% before the second half of the season kicks off around February 4. It is also a good opportunity to ensure that Robert Koren will be at 100% for the second half of the season.

I agree it will takes Kennedy some games to get near his peak in a new team, which is true for every new player. I'd say though, given his 1 month lead-in with the team, that it'll only take Kennedy a few games to get around 100% of his powers in Melbourne City's team (I won't venture to guess a precise number of games at this stage, though).

So I wouldn't write Kennedy off having a real big impact in the 2nd half of the season. 

Edited by Murfy1

From January and the 2015/16 season as well

Well then im happy with that.

I've always said that it was never going to be about this season, but next season and beyond.

Any supporter who thought we would win the league straight away just cause we'd been bought out by CFG are delusional.

At seasons end,  we'll be able to piss off the dead wood who's contracts expire (Example:Ramsey) and we'll slowly bring in players to fill in our problem area's.

Took Man City a few years to build to where they are in a league that isnt restricted by a salary cap. We'll get there

• Like 4

I've always said that it was never going to be about this season, but next season and beyond.

Any supporter who thought we would win the league straight away just cause we'd been bought out by CFG are delusional.

At seasons end,  we'll be able to piss off the dead wood who's contracts expire (Example:Ramsey) and we'll slowly bring in players to fill in our problem area's.

Took Man City a few years to build to where they are in a league that isnt restricted by a salary cap. We'll get there

We had that opportunity at the end of last season but didn't take it.

What makes you think it will be different the second time around?

What do you mean?

So bringing in Paartalu, Duff, Koren, Jesus and Mooy into the squad wont make a difference?

Mu understanding of the salary cap is that if you sack players under contract, their wages will still fall under the salary cap.  

We cant just sack the whole squad and start from scratch. Takes time

Edited by [LIBBA]
  • Like 1

What do you mean?

So bringing in Paartalu, Duff, Koren, Jesus and Mooy into the squad wont make a difference?

Mu understanding of the salary cap is that if you sack players under contract, their wages will still fall under the salary cap.  

I don't know how it caught on here but its a bloody myth started by the JVS Fanboys that we were stuck with all of the old MHFC players, I know for a fact that we unnecessarily resigned Hoffman, Velaphi and Williams at the end of last season so thats three of these players and I am pretty sure there were one or two others.

Paartalu, Duff, Koren, Kennedy and Mooy should make a difference and get us into finals... but JVS is trying his hardest to stop this from occurring.

FWIW I agree it was almost always going to take time to go from Cellar Dweller to Champion... mind you there are actually even A-League examples of this occurring.

But I don't know why anyone thinks that it takes time for a side to go from Cellar Dweller to Finals Participant because this did not just happened to WSW (As Pro JVS PPL seem to think is an isolated example) but it has happened to at least one bloody side in the League every single Season... because making the finals is hardly an achievement.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Nobody expected to win the title this Season.

But I did bloody expect us to form part the 60% majority of the comp who get to play finals... but JVS is dutch so we have to be content with that.

Agreed mate.I have the same expectations.

You'd be surprised how many supporters thought we'd win the league.

WSW started with a clean slate, Melbourne City started with legacy contracts of poor players and a legacy culture of mediocrity so they aren't completely comparable. Our 2 mistakes were that our establishment recruitment preceded the leap in HAL standard with Roar's transformation and so we started a step behind. We were catching up until we stumbled with the appointment of Aloisi and the salary cap restraints mean that it will take more than 1 off-season to recover lost ground.

What do you mean?

I don't know how it caught on here but its a bloody myth started by the JVS Fanboys that we were stuck with all of the old MHFC players, I know for a fact that we unnecessarily resigned Hoffman, Velaphi and Williams at the end of last season so thats three of these players and I am pretty sure there were one or two others.

Paartalu, Duff, Koren, Kennedy and Mooy should make a difference and get us into finals... but JVS is trying his hardest to stop this from occurring.

FWIW I agree it was almost always going to take time to go from Cellar Dweller to Champion... mind you there are actually even A-League examples of this occurring.

But I don't know why anyone thinks that it takes time for a side to go from Cellar Dweller to Finals Participant because this did not just happened to WSW (As Pro JVS PPL seem to think is an isolated example) but it has happened to at least one bloody side in the League every single Season... because making the finals is hardly an achievement.

No i never said we shouldnt expect to make finals and agree on what you've pretty much said. My prediction at the start of the season was 4th or 5th.

In regards to Williams, i still think he's worth having in the squad. The bloke did score a few goals for us in a side that finished last so i dont see why we cant have him as a squad player.

WSW started with a clean slate, Melbourne City started with legacy contracts of poor players and a legacy culture of mediocrity so they aren't completely comparable. Our 2 mistakes were that our establishment recruitment preceded the leap in HAL standard with Roar's transformation and so we started a step behind. We were catching up until we stumbled with the appointment of Aloisi and the salary cap restraints mean that it will take more than 1 off-season to recover lost ground.

1. Melbourne Heart started with a clean slate and a highly rated squad who were fourth in line in Championship betting as compared to WSW who were last in betting for their first Season but JVS quickly ruined the sides chances of playing finals by pissing off a number of senior players and playing others out of position.

2. We were not catching up at in Season Two... we barely fired a shot for the entire second half of Season Two and made sixth spot (Below halfway in the League) due to Madaschi needing to train for Asia and even more importantly a crazy Penalty Saving run from Bolton which in hindsight is the only reason JVS ever got the side into the finals and allowed his Fanboys to build up so myth of him being a successful coach.

3. I already stated above that we resigned Velaphi, Hoffman, Williams... and others after becoming City so this not a valid excuse.

4. Why will it take us more than one season? When every Season a team with nowhere near the Recruiting Drive we have had been have been able to do it in One Season?

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

WSW started with a clean slate, yes they did.  And then they filled that with such names of World Football, like Shannon Cole, Mark Bridge, Labinot Haliti, Topor-Stanley, Dino Kressinger.

Here's an interesting thing to ponder:  Popovic was offered Ballack.  THE Micheal Ballack.  But he took Ono.  What would JVS have done?

What do you mean?

You're quite correct. JvS extended the contract of Velaphi for one more season - 2014/15, and those of Hoffman and Williams for two more seasons - until the end of 2015/16. He also extended the contract of Mauk until the end of 2015/16, and that of Garuccio until the end of 2016/17 (see http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/default.aspx?s=news-display&type=melbourne-city-fc-signs-duff-extends-mauk-and-garuccio-contracts&id=90797).

He also signed Paulo Retre from the NYL squad on a senior contract to the end of the current season (2014/15) (and Marc Marino on a senior contract for two years until the end of 2015/16) (see http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/announcement-retre-and-marino-sign-with-melbourne-city-fc/kmflgwex2scq1b5h772cvrtio).

Marino was a new signing, but the others were all re-signings of existing Heart players, either senior or NYL.

Velaphi was a poor decision to resign. But williams and the hoff are decent a-league quality squad players. I doubt there was much else on the market for cheaper wages. We had villa and soon jesus to keep williams benched, and we have more pressing concerns than right back.

I agree a new lb should have been signed, and a new keeper. But so far I have been quite happy with the signings made. As Murf has stated elsewhere, if we strengthened more at the back, our midfield options would have been slimmer. And we would be complaining avout lack of goals and talking up our defence.

The deadwood will be gone next season.

I do agree though that JvS shoukd be getting better resukts from this team

Velaphi was a poor decision to resign. But williams and the hoff are decent a-league quality squad players. I doubt there was much else on the market for cheaper wages. We had villa and soon jesus to keep williams benched, and we have more pressing concerns than right back.

I agree a new lb should have been signed, and a new keeper. But so far I have been quite happy with the signings made. As Murf has stated elsewhere, if we strengthened more at the back, our midfield options would have been slimmer. And we would be complaining avout lack of goals and talking up our defence.

I actually don't think velaphi was a bad resigning, purely as he is as good as any second keepers in the comp and is on the min wage. We had already signed redmayne for this season from an existing contract and were committed to honouring that, and assuming he was on $200k ish that's not salary cap room you want sitting in the reserves. Hence we were kinda left with Redders or a base wage keeper as our only viable options.

As far as keepers go for next year i'd only be keeping Redmayne over velaphi if he was prepared to take the minimum wage as well as imo, there aint too much difference.

Oh good, these old and tired arguments again.

As much as some like to pretend that real life is like Football Manager or something, the simple fact is that in the A-League, and with our team, there was zero possibility of a complete rebuild between last season and this season.

- Andrew Redmayne had his contract extended by Aloisi in 2013 until the middle of 2016

- Rob Wielaert was signed up by Aloisi for last season and this season

- Iain Ramsay was signed up by Aloisi for last season and this season

- Massimo Murdocca was signed up by Aloisi for last season and this season

- Jonatan Germano was signed up by Aloisi in 2013 for last season and this season

- Nick Kalmar was signed up by Aloisi in 2013 for last season and this season

And Dugandzic, Garuccio and Mauk were also signed up by Aloisi for this season, which were Aloisi's only signings that aren't deadweight, and with only one of those players (Dugandzic) being a senior player it is a very poor recruitment record. 

So almost half of the team, 9 players, for this season were signed up by Aloisi. And only 1 of those players would reliably make a positive impact in the senior team, Mate Dugandzic.

And Then there were a few re-signings by JVS:

- Patrick Kisnorbo

- David Williams (was the Aust. Marquee, but was re-signed inside the cap)

- Tando Velaphi

- Jason Hoffman

- And Paulo Retre from the NYL team

No one disputes that Kisnorbo was a worthwhile re-signing. Re-signing Williams inside the cap was worthwhile, especially if the club brought in another good striker like Kennedy. I was disappointed with the re-signing of Hoffman, but he could very well be a low-wages signing. Ditto Velaphi was probably a low wage signing, and I can't think of too many other Australian keepers that are obviously better than Velaphi and would be prepared to accept low wages. And further if Hoffman and Velaphi were signed on low wages, as is very likely, then that would have enabled the club to bring in Aaron Mooy, Erik Paartalu and Damien Duff inside the salary cap, which is very hard to argue against.

So all up, Aloisi ensured that a whole 9 players would comprise this season's squad, with the majority of them not being good enough to grace a top team, and JVS and the other football staff had effectively nothing they could do about that. It is a myth that contracts can be torn up just because a club might change its mind about players. Therefore, only by next season is it possible to effectively get rid of all the poor squad building that Aloisi did with Melbourne City's squad, as only by then can the players Aloisi signed, in particular the first 6, be removed from the squad. And with next season's recruitment likely to follow the standard set by this season's recruitment--Mooy, Duff, Paartalu, Koren, etc.--expect next season's squad to be light years ahead of this one.

• Like 4

As much as some like to pretend that real life is like Football Manager or something, the simple fact is that in the A-League, and with our team, there was zero possibility of a complete rebuild between last season and this season.

- Andrew Redmayne had his contract extended by Aloisi in 2013 until the middle of 2016

- Jonatan Germano was signed up by Aloisi in 2013 for last season and this season

And Dugandzic, Garuccio and Mauk were also signed up by Aloisi for this season, which were Aloisi's only signings that aren't deadweight, and with only one of those players (Dugandzic) being a senior player it is a very poor recruitment record.

So almost half of the team, 9 players, for this season were signed up by Aloisi. And only 1 of those players would reliably make a positive impact in the senior team, Mate Dugandzic.

- Patrick Kisnorbo

- Tando Velaphi

- Jason Hoffman

No one disputes that Kisnorbo was a worthwhile re-signing. Re-signing Williams inside the cap was worthwhile, especially if the club brought in another good striker like Kennedy. I was disappointed with the re-signing of Hoffman, but he could very well be a low-wages signing. Ditto Velaphi was probably a low wage signing, and I can't think of too many other Australian keepers that are obviously better than Velaphi and would be prepared to accept low wages. And further if Hoffman and Velaphi were signed on low wages, as is very likely, then that would have enabled the club to bring in Aaron Mooy, Erik Paartalu and Damien Duff inside the salary cap, which is very hard to argue against.

So all up, Aloisi ensured that a whole 9 players would comprise this season's squad, with the majority of them not being good enough to grace a top team, and JVS and the other football staff had effectively nothing they could do about that. It is a myth that contracts can be torn up just because a club might change its mind about players. Therefore, only by next season is it possible to effectively get rid of all the poor squad building that Aloisi did with Melbourne City's squad, as only by then can the players Aloisi signed, in particular the first 6, be removed from the squad. And with next season's recruitment likely to follow the standard set by this season's recruitment--Mooy, Duff, Paartalu, Koren, etc.--expect next season's squad to be light years ahead of this one.

Oh good these tired arguments again. If JVS had a squad a superstars he could actually win something blah blah blah

Insert lengthy post about why all statistical evidence to suggest JVS is not a good manager should be ignored and none of his track record is his fault.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

I actually don't think velaphi was a bad resigning, purely as he is as good as any second keepers in the comp and is on the min wage. We had already signed redmayne for this season from an existing contract and were committed to honouring that, and assuming he was on $200k ish that's not salary cap room you want sitting in the reserves. Hence we were kinda left with Redders or a base wage keeper as our only viable options.

As far as keepers go for next year i'd only be keeping Redmayne over velaphi if he was prepared to take the minimum wage as well as imo, there aint too much difference.

Redders should be our backup keeper and another one brought in

I don't think that anyone os claiming that JVS is a great or even good manager, only that there are other variables including inheriting a squad of duds signed by Aloisi. We can speculate how these players would go in other squads or how the squad would fare with different coaches, however until next season or the season after any coach will still have to work with remnants of Aloisi's squad and this will always be the weakest link in the chain limiting performance of the team.

I don't think that anyone os claiming that JVS is a great or even good manager

So then why not sack him?

Let's say what you say is correct, about squad weaknesses limiting our performance, even then what do we have to lose by replacing a manager who isn't good with one that is? Worst case scenario is that nothing improves but at least the new manager gets to have a good look at all the current players and asses whether they will be in his plans for next season or not. Best case scenario is the new manager completely turns the season around and we win the grand final.

• Like 2

I don't think that anyone os claiming that JVS is a great or even good manager

So then why not sack him?

Let's say what you say is correct, about squad weaknesses limiting our performance, even then what do we have to lose by replacing a manager who isn't good with one that is? Worst case scenario is that nothing improves but at least the new manager gets to have a good look at all the current players and asses whether they will be in his plans for next season or not. Best case scenario is the new manager completely turns the season around and we win the grand final.

We might, however what is the point unless we have a demonstrably better person to replace him, and then how will we evaluate him this season. I think that we should finish mid-table this season, especially after the arrival of Kennedy given the unbalanced squad that we have.

- Patrick Kisnorbo

- Tando Velaphi

- Jason Hoffman

Oh good these tired arguments again. If JVS had a squad a superstars he could actually win something blah blah blah

Insert lengthy post about why all statistical evidence to suggest JVS is not a good manager should be ignored and none of his track record is his fault.

Introduction: Your all irrational for thinking JVS is a bad coach with his 30% win rate in two half seasons.

Paragraph Two: Facts that don't support my argument but are Facts all the same.

Paragraph Three: I am so very rational

Paragraph Three: In fact I am the only rational person here.

Paragraph Five: Stats, Facts and more fucken irrelevant Stats.

Conclusion: Like my Post because it's way too bloody long for anyone to read... and liking it will make it look like you read it and are therefore look smart.

Edited by cadete