Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Wow this is huge.

The good:

David Villa. Talk about an ambitious signing. We may be the smallest of the clubs in the family but this clearly shows that we can expect very high quality still. Looking forward to seeing a marquee of similiar reputation. 

Red and white away kit. Well it isn't completely gone.

Coat of arms in the logo. I don't particularly think it looks great, but it does mean red and white will remain a key component of the club.

Melbourne City. I think it's a great name, and would have been a good choice from the start. Heart can still be a big part of how we refer to the club.

The bad:

Hated the home kit when I saw it in the email, but having seen pictures of it in real life it is slightly better. Never been a big fan of all white kits, but will see if it grows on me.

The logo. Looks a little amateurish to me, and a bit disjointed. Not overly impressed. Also looks like they just took the NYC logo and ran with it. In fact both the logo and home kit feel a little like hand me downs.

Also disappointing slightly with the membership prices being frozen at last years prices, with the implied result being they will be raised. Would have been nice for them to lower them and really reward previous members and try and get as many new ones as possible. Also think the crappy discounts you get for signing new members are pretty average. $25 voucher for signing 4 members is pretty average. 

I do look forward to the next lot of announcements though, and will be signing up. I think the in or out question is premature, I think a minority will walk away from the club at this point but there will be many who decide in the first half of the season whether it still feels like their club, something which is hard to assess this early. Maybe signing David Villa for this period will be a very wise move.

Love the new badge, good representation of Melbourne, and it means red and white are here to stay in some capacity at least!

Bith kits look great, of course having some red in the home kit would have been awesome or simply switching those home amd away kits around. But I think it's a pretty good compromise considering they honestly could have done almost anything they wanted.

Villa holding the red shirt shows a bit of respect too.

This is our season lads!

• Like 1

I like the shit paint job one better than the official logo. If they did copy, they should have just polished and refined the paint job version a bit. The orange (i think it's orange) is the really shit bit on the official logo.

Orange?  :blink:

The version posted here looks a little low contrast, the real colour is closer to orange, but yeah probably not orange (my monitor is deceiving me a bit as it's not positioned correctly).

On the membership page it looks orange to me and they have orange text also, but it's probably meant to represent a more goldy colour. I'm guessing..

I like the shit paint job one better than the official logo. If they did copy, they should have just polished and refined the paint job version a bit. The orange (i think it's orange) is the really shit bit on the official logo.

Orange?  :blink:

The version posted here looks a little low contrast, the real colour is closer to orange, but yeah probably not orange (my monitor is deceiving me a bit as it's not positioned correctly).

On the membership page it looks orange to me and they have orange text also, but it's probably meant to represent a more goldy colour. I'm guessing..

Definitely not orange.

I do look forward to the next lot of announcements though, and will be signing up. I think the in or out question is premature, I think a minority will walk away from the club at this point but there will be many who decide in the first half of the season whether it still feels like their club, something which is hard to assess this early. Maybe signing David Villa for this period will be a very wise move.

Its like fucking a chicks ass for the first time. You just got to ease it in and before you know it you are trying to ram it out her throat.

Same as this. Small changes at first before your ass gets pounded......

Probably not the analogy I would have used tbh

gotta say Im very pleased.

I expected the name change - TICK

expected light blue home kit, red/white away - came out better than thought although I believe this will be a stepping stone to a blue home kit eventually.

what happened to the red/black kit which was reported earlier? is that a third, or a mistake?

Overall, we had to expect to give up something to get something huge, and if Villa is a sign of things to come, we cant really complain IMHO.

Melbourne City is the name we SHOULD have been from the start.

The "real" Melbourne City FC are claiming that they haven't agreed to us taking their name too.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152131766771404&id=355862536403

If CFG have got the approval for the name change through, good luck with that.

Interesting that comments had been made in a report that the name issue had been rectified with the Vic state League side, yet we still see this.

EDIT: Further to this, ASIC appears to show the name as Registered to MHFC Holdings. https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/bn/SearchBnRegisters.jspx?_adf.ctrl-state=wt64nolmf_4

Edited by Heart_fan

Could the reason why Villa is holding a red shirt due to the proposed all blue home kit getting denied by the FFA meaning they didn't have any of the new white home kits made up?

No doubt for me that's the reason. 

Nope, he held up a white Home top too...

258a5ft.jpg

• Like 1

Could the reason why Villa is holding a red shirt due to the proposed all blue home kit getting denied by the FFA meaning they didn't have any of the new white home kits made up?

258a5ft.jpg

Got a pic of that from the front?

I think it would have been pretty short-sighted of City not to have the contingency white option ready as well, for if and when the sky blue shirt fell through. We keep getting told that these guys are the cream of the crop with regards to sports administration; it would have been pretty amateur hour of them to be completely blindsided by the FFA's decision.

The "real" Melbourne City FC are claiming that they haven't agreed to us taking their name too.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152131766771404&id=355862536403

Interesting that comments had been made in a report that the name issue had been rectified with the Vic state League side, yet we still see this.

EDIT: Further to this, ASIC appears to show the name as Registered to MHFC Holdings. https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/bn/SearchBnRegisters.jspx?_adf.ctrl-state=wt64nolmf_4

I'm guessing that they hadn't registered the name as they are just a small club, and as soon as they caught wind of Heart becoming City, they shit themselves and tried to register it, but by that time they were too late. I doubt their legal battle will go anywhere, money talks and they don't have much of that, comparatively speaking of course.

• Like 1

Interesting that Latrobe Uni still seem to be involved as a sponsor, but Westpac is nowhere to be seen.

Lets hope an announcement on the facilities is forthcoming soon. If we want to be a serious club, we better get facilities that are in line with those expectations soon.

I'd be pretty happy to keep Westpac as a sponsor, since I reckon it's a pretty nice footty shirt logo (especially the big 'W' that they used last year, instead of the wording), plus it's a pretty hefty extra chunk of red chucked on the shirt for free. Though, maybe that would be part of the reason for City to not want it on the shirt.

It takes a while to go through, they have to give people time to object etc.

It still has the potential to get messy though if things do not get approved.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, especially if this other Melb City wants to create an issue out of it.

258a5ft.jpg

Its probably just a number and a name on the back on that tshirt.

SF33, I would think that they will want a global brand partner on the front of the shirt, which would likely be Etihad. Not sure the colour red would be an issue in a sponsor logo, but who knows :lol:

Of course. Still, it could be a consideration. I did a tour of Celtic Park last year and they had a room with all the team shirts through the years. The most hated one of all time, without a doubt, was when they were sponsored by Ford (which meant they had a blue and red logo on the shirt - Rangers' colours) and I think it was changed within one season. I'd be happy with Heart switching to Etihad as the main sponsor, as long as they don't start playing there...AAMI Park has always been a big selling point with me.

SF33, I would think that they will want a global brand partner on the front of the shirt, which would likely be Etihad. Not sure the colour red would be an issue in a sponsor logo, but who knows :lol:

Of course. Still, it could be a consideration. I did a tour of Celtic Park last year and they had a room with all the team shirts through the years. The most hated one of all time, without a doubt, was when they were sponsored by Ford (which meant they had a blue and red logo on the shirt - Rangers' colours) and I think it was changed within one season. I'd be happy with Heart switching to Etihad as the main sponsor, as long as they don't start playing there...AAMI Park has always been a big selling point with me.

I can see Etihad taking up the naming rights to AAMI Park when they come up eventually, and not extending the Docklands deal.

We will need to wait and see I guess, but theres a lot of work ahead to get us to be as successful as possible.

• Like 1

258a5ft.jpg

Its probably just a number and a name on the back on that tshirt.

Got that screenshot from here: (the video) http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/spanish-superstar-david-villa-confirmed-for-10game-guest-stint-with-melbourne-city-in-aleague/story-fnk6rlg0-1226944133920

I'm guessing that they hadn't registered the name as they are just a small club, and as soon as they caught wind of Heart becoming City, they shit themselves and tried to register it, but by that time they were too late. I doubt their legal battle will go anywhere, money talks and they don't have much of that, comparatively speaking of course.

I reported some time ago that the business name "Melbourne City FC" and owned by MHFC Holdings was registered with ASIC on 2nd April 2014. You'll also see that a previously-registered business name of "Melbourne City FC" was registered on 10th July 2013 and cancelled on 29th April 2014.

A trademark is different from a business name.

Another interesting little twist is that both Ferran Soriano and the new badge refer to "Melbourne City Football Club", which is not the same as "Melbourne City FC." The badge and colours will have been approved by FFA so I think we can assume that everything has been fixed.

• Like 1

I´m sure the lawyers have been thru this again and again.. You don´t ok a name change and have it revoked as a law firm unless you want to be the laughing stock of the legal community at large..

Edited by M13
  • Like 1

The home strip is still a hand me down Man City shirt. There's nothing of our club on it. They can't possibly say with a straight face that 'the home kit combines the white of the original kit...' It's bollocks. Just like the crap they keep feeding people about 'consulting with members'. I can't believe they even mentioned that survey in their email. Personally, I'd rather a sky blue shirt with a red and white stripe as it would be our shirt, not a Man City shirt, and would retain something of our colours.

But even more important than the colours is the disregard of supporters. Yes we don't 'own' the club, but good clubs actually listen to their supporters and make them feel like they hold an important place in the club - like the fan forums WSW held to decide what their club would look and feel like. I'll go to matches but it just doesn't feel like my club now. For me, it's a sad day.

And I hope Melboune City keep fighting to keep their name.

• Like 3