Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

I must admit I'm a bit bored with the name and colours debate - seems like most people open to a name change and keep the home shirt as a minimum. Seems reasonable but we'll just have to wait and see how this decision is made and with what consultation. Whatever happens, the nature of compromise is that someone (if not everyone!!) is left unhappy. Am waiting for the tirade of abuse when any decision is made. As they say in the Vatican, you can't keep all the papal happy all the time.

What will really interst me going forward with this will be the relationship between the FFA and City?? We are in a potential position to gain a huge advantage over other clubs having joined forces with essentially a cash register. How will players given to us on loan be calculated in the cap?? City could loan us players with them paying the bulk of the wage and us paying minimum. Any talented Aussie kid could theoretically be put into a City youth squad on English money, then "lent" back to us on a pittance. The potential for loopholes is enormous, and the FFA will always be trying to balance keeping City happy for the future development of the league, whilst maintaining the faith of all other clubs. Add in this 10 game stints (??outside the cap), top notch expensive marquees and overseas training camps and state of the art off field support, the egalitarian balance and philosophy of the league will be sorely tested. Great for us (and tbh I'm sick of being a poor cousin!), but will be a potential nightmare for the administrators.

We live in interesting times.

Sorry MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON I am a City fan and can't agree with your sentiments

The history of Hearts maybe only 4 years, but in that time it has gained a loyal following who's views must be listened to and wishes must be agreed to.

I have no qualms about following a team in Red & White.

No matter how much money City or our owners plough in, they should be taking the supporters with them on this journey.

Ah don't worry about him. I'm not convinced he actually supports the club.

Anyway, while some of us are crapping on about being red and white or whatever, I hope none of you interpret it as any sort of rejection of your club. I'm bloody excited about working together and hopefully seeing benefits going both ways.

• Like 1

Don't care about colours etc. I just want to watch some good football. Everybody follows this club for different reasons. For me I don't get hung up on names, colours etc. I just wanted to watch the A League and thought I would get behind this club as it was new. I will still support this club no matter what happens because I just want to watch football and I want the A League and football in the country to grow and get better. I suppose being out of town a having to travel a couple of hours each way I don't really care about Melbourne. Don't get me wrong it's alright but I hate big cities. It's the fans that make the club for me seeing familiar faces giving high fives and hugs to people that I don't really know except that you know there face from previous games and that you are all following the same team. This is the club for me. Names, colours, players could all change but if I see the people that I have seen game after game everything is going to be alright even if I don't know all there names. The high from jumping up and down after a goal and win or witnessing all that make this game great is what I'm there to see. Hopefully these times are going to be more numerous now. 

As I said everybody goes for different reasons. This is mine you can take it or leave it I'm not fussed either way. All I know is that whatever happens I will be there next season hopefully watching some good football and some future stars of Australian football and hugging people I do or don't know.  Peace out my brother's and sisters.

• Like 4

I am not offended by you wanting to keep your colours Sash and don't feel it a slight on my club.

I would hope that the vast majority of City fans would say the same.

We are just intrigued by the investments in your team and New York.

I have supported City since 1982 and I have seen more downs than ups. I could only dream of going to a Cup final or winning the League.

Have seen us relegated 4 times and promoted 5 times between 1982 and 2001.

We were always the poor cousins in Manchester.

Then the Sheik arrived and now we are on the up and up. Been to Wembley three times and about to go again in March.

Also winning the league on the final day was the most exhilarating day in my life. Going from tears to absolute joy in 90 minutes.

It will be nice to see Heart one day win the A League and see you all celebrate as I did.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 2

MCFC released its annual report today. This would have been written up a while ago, so theres a bit on NYCFC but no specific mention of Melbourne Heart

There have also been some changes to the organisation and 
management structures. Most notably, the new City Football 
Group (CFG), established this year will now oversee the 
operations of Manchester City Football Club, Manchester 
City Ladies Football Club, the newly established New York 
City Football Club and other potential future initiatives. This 
structure is designed to ensure that each of these entities can 
draw upon the world-class football and commercial capabilities 
that exist within the City family.

Also a fair bit of information about things like academy, community, supporters that might have a bit of relevance to Heart.

Edited by moomba

I must admit I'm a bit bored with the name and colours debate - seems like most people open to a name change and keep the home shirt as a minimum. Seems reasonable but we'll just have to wait and see how this decision is made and with what consultation. Whatever happens, the nature of compromise is that someone (if not everyone!!) is left unhappy. Am waiting for the tirade of abuse when any decision is made. As they say in the Vatican, you can't keep all the papal happy all the time.

What will really interst me going forward with this will be the relationship between the FFA and City?? We are in a potential position to gain a huge advantage over other clubs having joined forces with essentially a cash register. How will players given to us on loan be calculated in the cap?? City could loan us players with them paying the bulk of the wage and us paying minimum. Any talented Aussie kid could theoretically be put into a City youth squad on English money, then "lent" back to us on a pittance. The potential for loopholes is enormous, and the FFA will always be trying to balance keeping City happy for the future development of the league, whilst maintaining the faith of all other clubs. Add in this 10 game stints (??outside the cap), top notch expensive marquees and overseas training camps and state of the art off field support, the egalitarian balance and philosophy of the league will be sorely tested. Great for us (and tbh I'm sick of being a poor cousin!), but will be a potential nightmare for the administrators.

Isn't this question already applicable? I thought I read that Bursaspor are paying the wages of Aziz, but he's playing for us. And if we are going to look into the salary cap question we would have to look into how some clubs (e.g. Sydney) already appear to be able to sign players at will without apparently breaching it. I don't see how third-party deals can be stopped, nor sponsors funding overseas training camps, pre-season jaunts, or whatever some clubs do but we haven't up to now. Other examples being government funds being put into some clubs (e.g. WSW and CCM) but not into others. If that's OK, and it has been up to now, then why can't private funds do the same?

It's impossible to maintain the "level playing field" for ever.

Isn't this question already applicable? I thought I read that Bursaspor are paying the wages of Aziz, but he's playing for us. And if we are going to look into the salary cap question we would have to look into how some clubs (e.g. Sydney) already appear to be able to sign players at will without apparently breaching it. I don't see how third-party deals can be stopped, nor sponsors funding overseas training camps, pre-season jaunts, or whatever some clubs do but we haven't up to now. Other examples being government funds being put into some clubs (e.g. WSW and CCM) but not into others. If that's OK, and it has been up to now, then why can't private funds do the same?

Yes this is a vexing and complex questions. In the previous century I worked for a British multinational conglomerate that allowed staff in any of its companies to apply for vacancies in any other company. Thus there were a lot of internal transfers that staff (specially the younger ones) would use as working holidays - some leaving their home company and travel troughout the world for years. Eventually the company put an end to it due to the complexity of sorting out taxes, terms of employment, etc. It took them years to wind up the mess.

So the question then becomes under what rules does FIFA allow players to be on loan, what the respective governments do regarding taxation (does Behich pay tax in Australia, Turkey or both?), what employment laws are applicable, etc.?

I did a quick search for FIFA rules but did not come up with a quick and easy explanation, there was a 92 page booklet I could read but in the end I am not sure whether the answer is in there.

Then there is the question of risk, imagine if they send a highly paid player on loan to Australia and they are crippled by Kevin Muscat (yes I know he no longer plays but I am sure he is instructing his defense on how to damage ACLs) or other equivalents.

• Like 1

Would any of the City guys be making it to this match? (From the club, rather then the supporters)

I saw a tweet with someone saying its good that man city people will be at the game friday, I'm assuming it was meant officials, but I don't know the source. I would think someone would be though. It's their first home game in charge.

Don't care about colours etc. I just want to watch some good football. Everybody follows this club for different reasons. For me I don't get hung up on names, colours etc. I just wanted to watch the A League and thought I would get behind this club as it was new. I will still support this club no matter what happens because I just want to watch football and I want the A League and football in the country to grow and get better. I suppose being out of town a having to travel a couple of hours each way I don't really care about Melbourne. Don't get me wrong it's alright but I hate big cities. It's the fans that make the club for me seeing familiar faces giving high fives and hugs to people that I don't really know except that you know there face from previous games and that you are all following the same team. This is the club for me. Names, colours, players could all change but if I see the people that I have seen game after game everything is going to be alright even if I don't know all there names. The high from jumping up and down after a goal and win or witnessing all that make this game great is what I'm there to see. Hopefully these times are going to be more numerous now. 

As I said everybody goes for different reasons. This is mine you can take it or leave it I'm not fussed either way. All I know is that whatever happens I will be there next season hopefully watching some good football and some future stars of Australian football and hugging people I do or don't know.  Peace out my brother's and sisters.

As much as I would like the colours to remain, but I can probably guarantee if we start smashing the A-league next year and years to come,  the name and colours would be etched away in our short history and cherished. We have been deprived of good football for a long time so I finally want success!

• Like 1

Grew up in a football loving family, supported South Mlb as a kid but never a member, when the Aleague came along supported Victory being the only team in Melbourne but again was never a member. When Heart came along I new it would be great for the league, but they'd struggle with members so I bought a membership and never looked back. If I had bought a victory membership, I never would of jumped on the Heart. My point is, I support the sport before I support my club that's why this colour change talk didn't bother me, especially because I no what football is coming our way with these owners. In the end the Arabs are doing us the favour. And as for city supporters, if the owners were to say tomorrow the home will be yellow from next season or they'd pull out of ownership you think the supporters would stop following them...? Please, City was almost relegated they never had a chance to win anything and the football they produced was shit English long balls. In the end of all this name colours or whatever, I don't give a fuck because ill always have a team to go watch play football. Heart or no Heart

Yes this is a vexing and complex questions. In the previous century I worked for a British multinational conglomerate that allowed staff in any of its companies to apply for vacancies in any other company. Thus there were a lot of internal transfers that staff (specially the younger ones) would use as working holidays - some leaving their home company and travel troughout the world for years. Eventually the company put an end to it due to the complexity of sorting out taxes, terms of employment, etc. It took them years to wind up the mess.

So the question then becomes under what rules does FIFA allow players to be on loan, what the respective governments do regarding taxation (does Behich pay tax in Australia, Turkey or both?), what employment laws are applicable, etc.?

I did a quick search for FIFA rules but did not come up with a quick and easy explanation, there was a 92 page booklet I could read but in the end I am not sure whether the answer is in there.

Then there is the question of risk, imagine if they send a highly paid player on loan to Australia and they are crippled by Kevin Muscat (yes I know he no longer plays but I am sure he is instructing his defense on how to damage ACLs) or other equivalents.

IMO in the longer-term this entry of ADG/Manchester City into Australia will lead to deregulation of the A-League. Tennis ultimately had to embrace professional players, and cricket had to finally embrace the Packer camp. As more and more overseas interests propose to buy into the A-League it will have to open up and restrictions will have to be weakened and finally removed.

• Like 1

You know what? I wouldn't mind if Manchester United bought Western Sydney Wanderers because that would give me a reason to hate them even more! haha

I wonder if they'd change their name to Western Sydney United, but keep "Wanderers" as their nickname! Haha

Id probably rather they buy out another club who needs the help the most financially, like CCM 

You know what? I wouldn't mind if Manchester United bought Western Sydney Wanderers because that would give me a reason to hate them even more! haha

I wonder if they'd change their name to Western Sydney United, but keep "Wanderers" as their nickname! Haha

Id probably rather they buy out another club who needs the help the most financially, like CCM 

Rebrand to North Coast United?  :P

MCFC released its annual report today. This would have been written up a while ago, so theres a bit on NYCFC but no specific mention of Melbourne Heart

There have also been some changes to the organisation and 

management structures. Most notably, the new City Football 

Group (CFG), established this year will now oversee the 

operations of Manchester City Football Club, Manchester 

City Ladies Football Club, the newly established New York 

City Football Club and other potential future initiatives. This 

structure is designed to ensure that each of these entities can 

draw upon the world-class football and commercial capabilities 

that exist within the City family.

Also a fair bit of information about things like academy, community, supporters that might have a bit of relevance to Heart.

A few media outlets have mentioned Melbourne Heart in relation to this report, such as The Independent:

Manchester City are on course to narrowly pass Uefa’s Financial Fair Play test, despite another big increase in wages which their 2012-13 accounts have revealed to be £233m, up by more than £30m.

The salary bill means City, who beat Tottenham Hotspur 5-1 at White Hart Lane last night to go top of the league, are paying out £639,000 a day – or £26,000 an hour, £433 a minute – in wages. Two key new internal financial manoeuvres by the club, however, have brought in one-off revenue lifts of more than £42m, allowing them to restrict losses to £51.6m for 2012-13, and thus be on course to comply with FFP and avoid a ban from the Champions League next season.

The first is the sale of the club’s image rights to an external company, which has reaped City £24.5m. The second is the sale of City’s services to the other clubs which it owns – the New York FC franchise which it launched last year, along with the new Melbourne Heart franchise and Manchester City Ladies FC. That “sale of intellectual property to related parties” brought the club another £22.45m [$42 million AUD] and is vital to City getting anywhere near complying with Uefa’s regime.

[...]

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/manchester-city-set-to-narrowly-pass-uefas-financial-fair-play-test-avoiding-a-ban-from-the-champions-league-next-season-9093921.html

Presumably Melbourne Heart isn't counted, as it couldn't really have done any business with Man City prior to 31 May  2013. But in the future Heart might come in handy as another club Man City can sell services to (especially 'intellectual property', something notoriously difficult to price), so City can raise its revenue and lower any losses and thereby assure compliance with Uefa's FFP rule (for example, apparently some of those millions were made by selling the use of the word 'City' to New York City FC link).

By the way, I don't have an opinion on such matters. It just all further makes me think that it's a win-win relationship between Man City and Heart. Also, maybe at some point Heart could get a good player loaned to it via Man City, which I believe might not count towards Melbourne Heart's salary cap  :up:

Edited by Murfy1

Basically it´s about moving intellectual property rights from MCFC Ltd to CFG Ltd..Which is a standard business transaction really and common when a business goes multinational, and yes..It had to be paid for as it´s two separate companies in a legal sense despite having the same board/ownership.

As an example, let´s say that Heart got a sponsor that are willing to go in with $250k, Heart says "make it $500k and we´ll throw in something special at the next MCFC vs Man Utd game"
With a single owner it´s easily sorted legally.

Just thought I would post a link to the City website if any of you are interested in seeing how you might be playing in the coming years.

There ia also highlights of some of the reserves and youth team games.

I know most of you are not City fans so my apologies to those of you who support another EPL team :)

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv

According to Les Murray the takeover won't necessarily fix the problem he perceives of Heart's lack of identity:

"Some time ago I wrote a column in this space arguing that Melbourne Heart’s biggest problem is that it has no clear identity, geographical or otherwise, which distinguishes it as a club and gives a place in Melbourne society.

This, as the takeover proceeds, is still the case and the new owners will have to face it. And this will not auger well for the new owners’ plans, if they indeed harbour it, to change Heart’s colours as well as its name.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/les-murray/blog/1180149/Mel-born-again

Gee this lack of identity thing is getting boring. 

Edited by Alexxandro
  • Like 1

According to Les Murray the takeover won't necessarily fix the problem he perceives of Heart's lack of identity:

"Some time ago I wrote a column in this space arguing that Melbourne Heart’s biggest problem is that it has no clear identity, geographical or otherwise, which distinguishes it as a club and gives a place in Melbourne society.

This, as the takeover proceeds, is still the case and the new owners will have to face it. And this will not auger well for the new owners’ plans, if they indeed harbour it, to change Heart’s colours as well as its name.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/les-murray/blog/1180149/Mel-born-again

Gee this lack of identity thing is getting boring. 

Agreed. Totally and utterly boring. And even if it was true at some stage, the events of last week have killed the subject dead. So Murray's comments are now not only boring, but stupid.

The first thing to do is for us, as fans, supporters, season-ticket holders etc. to stop talking about it. Let our results on the pitch do the talking from next season onwards.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

That 'Alan G Howarth' (the head of the Manchester City Fan Club in Aus or whatever) is commenting on the AAMI Park Facebook event.

"Manchester CIty don't do Red' etc, seems like he has the mentality of a 5 year old. If he is actually the head of their fan club down here then that's pretty hilarious. 

Edited by King Malta

That 'Alan G Howarth' (the head of the Manchester City Fan Club in Aus or whatever) is commenting on the AAMI Park Facebook event.

"Manchester CIty don't do Red' etc, seems like he has the mentality of a 5 year old. If he is actually the head of their fan club down here then that's pretty hilarious. 

him and scott munn should have a twitter war hahahaha

• Like 1

He obviously cannot be a City fan as he has no idea just some examples also note the changes in the crest

football_shirt_7111_1_500x375x1.jpgfootball_shirt_7145_1_378x500x1.jpgfootball_shirt_32843_1_375x500x1.jpgfootball_shirt_5694_1_500x375x1.jpgfootball_shirt_19211_1_375x500x1.jpgfootball_shirt_4045_1_375x500x1.jpg

Edited by chesterguy