Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

It has been annoying at times relying on the words of journalists to find out what is happening at Heart, but I don't think it could be done any other way. Munn and other individuals who comprise Heart's management were never going to say things like 'Heart are thinking about negotiating with Kewell', 'representatives from Heart are going to meet with Kewell', 'Heart and Kewell have had some disagreements about contract details', 'the deal between Heart and Kewell is two thirds complete' etc etc etc. 

Heart will announce to us when things are completely done and dusted, and that's probably the way things should be done. Player signings in particular are too volatile and messy to be frequently informed about, as negotiations with Kewell have clearly shown. It would be a bad look for Heart if they told us directly about too much of their recruitment activity, as things change and problems would crop up that would make Heart not look so good, because they made statements that got contradicted or whatever.

I'm fairly optimistic that details about Kewell will be revealed around the time that memberships go on sale next week. I'm now starting to wonder about what other signings might be announced...

Completely agree there Murf. There is no other way. We looked very foolish over the Lucas Neill debacle - at least we've learned from that. Redmayne and Ramsay are excellent examples of the way to do it - there was not a hint of a signing in both cases. Gerhardt another. All three are quality players.

I have a feeling, like others mentioned here, that Munn and Heart HQ are not saying anything of the signings or what they have exactly done in Europe to release somewhat a surprise announcement of completing multiple signings including HK at the start of membership sales, which would be plastered in the herald sun papers  and TV media etc.

Good way to market themselves. 

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

Oh, don't start that 'bandwagoner' thing again. From ballet to boxing, doesn't matter what the field of human endeavour is, people go to see the stars, the big names, the celebrities.  It's the way the world works. If we can get a squad together that fills AAMI Park on a regular basis I don't care whether they've ever watched football before or ever will afterwards.

• Like 1

It has been annoying at times relying on the words of journalists to find out what is happening at Heart, but I don't think it could be done any other way. Munn and other individuals who comprise Heart's management were never going to say things like 'Heart are thinking about negotiating with Kewell', 'representatives from Heart are going to meet with Kewell', 'Heart and Kewell have had some disagreements about contract details', 'the deal between Heart and Kewell is two thirds complete' etc etc etc. 

Heart will announce to us when things are completely done and dusted, and that's probably the way things should be done. Player signings in particular are too volatile and messy to be frequently informed about, as negotiations with Kewell have clearly shown. It would be a bad look for Heart if they told us directly about too much of their recruitment activity, as things change and problems would crop up that would make Heart not look so good, because they made statements that got contradicted or whatever.

I'm fairly optimistic that details about Kewell will be revealed around the time that memberships go on sale next week. I'm now starting to wonder about what other signings might be announced...

Completely agree there Murf. There is no other way. We looked very foolish over the Lucas Neill debacle - at least we've learned from that. Redmayne and Ramsay are excellent examples of the way to do it - there was not a hint of a signing in both cases. Gerhardt another. All three are quality players.

I, along with a number of others, have complained in the past that Heart have been second rate in their use of the media.

The buzz the past week has been fantastic. Transfer speculation has driven the sport news overseas for decades.

Keep up the good work.

Heart's hopes high as it waits on word of Harry Kewell

Ray Gatt June 01, 2013 12:00AM

MELBOURNE Heart is resigned to waiting at least a further four or five days before it knows whether Harry Kewell will commit to the A-League next season.

While Heart chief executive Scott Munn returned empty-handed yesterday from a player recruitment trip to England, the club remains quietly confident Kewell is on the radar as a key signing.

"Until there is an official announcement I would not say it (signing Kewell) is a done deal," Munn told The Weekend Australian. "We met with Harry and his representatives in London and it was a good meeting. It was very positive.

"But we were locked into a very tight time frame because he was coming from abroad and then had to prepare for a family holiday in Europe.

"It was a very tight window but we were happy with how the discussions went."

Munn said the club would wait for Kewell to return from holidays early next week before continuing talks.

Munn said coach John Aloisi had initiated the first meeting and had spoken to his former Socceroos teammate last week.

"They spoke about a range of things," Munn said. "We will just have to wait and see what more develops. I would hope something will be sorted either way next week."

Munn said the club had not given up hope of signing English striker Grant Holt from Norwich City. Heart has been in negotiations with his agent for some time but they have since stalled after Norwich confirmed the offer of a transfer fee from Heart did not meet its asking price.

While Kewell, who has no club ties, is not bound by a transfer fee, Norwich is holding out for a fee for Holt, who still has two years left on his contract.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/hearts-hopes-high-as-it-waits-on-word-of-harry-kewell/story-fn63e0vj-1226654818969

Melbourne Heart waits on contract decision from Harry Kewell
MATT WINDLEY HERALD SUN JUNE 01, 2013 12:00AM

MELBOURNE Heart won't get a definitive answer from Harry Kewell until at least the end of next week.

But the club remains confident the Socceroos star will turn out in red and white stripes next season.

Heart chief executive Scott Munn is back from England, where he met Kewell to discuss his future last weekend.

That followed positive face-to-face discussions between Heart coach John Aloisi and his former Socceroos teammate.

Kewell, with a six-week stint for Qatari club Al-Gharafa now behind him, has headed to Portugal on a family holiday and will remain there until the end of next week.

Munn will take leave the week after next, which forced the two parties to talk earlier than anticipated.

There had been speculation that Kewell was also in talks with European clubs and that was the reason behind the supposed delay in obtaining his signature.

But it is understood Heart believes that is not the case. And club officials were impressed by the passion with which the 34-year-old spoke of what he had to offer during meetings with Munn and Aloisi.

Kewell is currently without a manager.

He split with long-time representative Bernie Mandic in November 2011, while a short-lived association with Shane Warne's manager James Erskine ended earlier this year.

A legal representative in London is helping Kewell with contract negotiations.

Heart also hasn't given up hope of luring English Premier League striker Grant Holt to Melbourne.

The club has three foreign player spots still available.

It intended using one on Englishman Holt, although the chances of doing so are appearing less likely.

It is believed Holt is open to a move to Australia.

The 32-year-old spent time in Perth, playing for state league side Sorrento, as a youngster and he appears to be on the outer at Norwich, given the club recently paid about $12.5 million for Dutch striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel.

But the Canaries captain still has two years left on his contract, meaning Heart must make a sizeable transfer bid - the first of which has been rejected.

Reports in the British press have suggested Holt is valued at about $3 million.

Heart football operations manager John Didulica has been in contact with Norwich several times during the week.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-waits-on-contract-decision-from-harry-kewell/story-fnibbvjo-1226654893306

Edited by Murfy1

If you think about it.. Kewell took victorys money, gained the supporters respect, stabbed them in the back by doing little for them then bailing for a mother in law, then talks about signing for their rivals

Sounds like he hates them more than we do.. Hah

Edited by Hazzaverx
  • Like 2

I just missed Munn on Triple M, can summarise for those who didn't catch it? Or is it not worth summarising? I can't imagine there would be any new information though, more just using Triple M to continue to have this ongoing presence in the media

Just heard Scott Munn on Triple M. Harry is in Portugal on a family holiday. When asked whether 'Harry wanted to come back to Australia and play for Heart' he answered that Harry definitely wanted to be back playing in Australia' but very much avoided mentioning whether he wanted to play for Heart or not. I suspect a counter bid from another A-League team....

some bloke just posted this on 442.

edit: i personally doubt there's a counter bid.

Edited by loriente

Low key interview with Munn oven though MMM boys tried to get something definite about Arry. We don't know what's going to happen and it seems like Arry will make his mind up soon-ish. Or Munn knows exactly what the deal is but doesn't want to make a fuss about it just yet until a big media splash is organised back in Mebourne.

In about 20 odd days we will know if we have qualified for brazil (unless we finish 3rd)

He will wait until then IMO, i hope not, also

WSW been very quiet on kewell front as has sydney its between 

Heart, WSW, Sydney and victards In order of who i think has the best chance, WSW very shifty as is sydney, watch out

Scott Munn on SEN.

Harry on holiday as we know. Holiday ending on Thursday. Scott hopes to get an answer in the next 7 to 10 days as he goes on holidays then and would like to wrap it up.

Said he was happy with the meeting with Harry, said his motivation isn't Socceroo related rather to prove to people he can still play, and wants to show the a league exactly that.

Has offers from UAE and Europe.

Grant Holt is interested in coming to Australia and Melbourne Heart but it's complicated as he is contracted and we require Norwich to release him out of that contract.

Nothing significantly new in that but thought I'd pass it on.

Scott Munn on SEN.

Harry on holiday as we know. Holiday ending on Thursday. Scott hopes to get an answer in the next 7 to 10 days as he goes on holidays then and would like to wrap it up.

Said he was happy with the meeting with Harry, said his motivation isn't Socceroo related rather to prove to people he can still play, and wants to show the a league exactly that.

Has offers from UAE and Europe.

Grant Holt is interested in coming to Australia and Melbourne Heart but it's complicated as he is contracted and we require Norwich to release him out of that contract.

Nothing significantly new in that but thought I'd pass it on.

This

"Said he was happy with the meeting with Harry, said his motivation isn't Socceroo related rather to prove to people he can still play, and wants to show the a league exactly that."

I don't get. Harry coming half way round the world when the missus and family wants to be in England! Munn said last week on SEN that Harry had unfinished business here in Oz. Sorry, it don't compute. Surely it's only about going to the WC.

Not too much content really, and certainly nothing new. He started off with a rough timeline of the situation so far and went on to mention that he believes that the longer this saga continues, the less likely he is to put pen to paper. Zappers also gave an insight of the likely contract, in terms of minimum wage salary with further incentive bonuses (marketing, promotional etc. etc.). One thing i noted was that he seemed oblivious to the fact that there was interest from UAE and Europe (which we know is the case from Munn's SEN interview).