Melbourne Football

Re-Sign Garcia

MARKMILES

What's the desire to have him play in the midfield when 1) we are looking at foreign AMs and DMs? 2) we have Dugandzic to come back in a potential midfield role? 3) he is a winger, and played as a winger in England? 4) JA and HF have both mentioned that he prefers to play on the wing?

Seems a bit of a square peg - round hole scenario, which many people critise the Club for doing regularly.

...and we have plenty of wingers - Williams, Dugandzic, Golgol, Garuccio, Ramsay (if we don't convert him), plus Walker - and that is why I don't think the club should give in to (excessive) demands from Garcia. In fact, you could mount an argument that Garcia is not required...

• Like 1

Richard Garcia delighted to see Hull City back in big time after watching from Oz

By Philip Buckingham

TWELVE months have passed since Richard Garcia packed up his belongings for a big move back home to the opposite side of the world.

In ending a five-year association with Hull City, the boy was finally taken from East Yorkshire. But not East Yorkshire from the boy.

While the Tigers fought for promotion to the Premier League three long weeks ago, Garcia was tracking every final-day move 12,000 miles away in Australia.

The joyous end result saw others following in those footsteps made famous five years before, and Garcia was only too happy to welcome new faces into the corridors of City's history.

"I'd been keeping a close eye on the team all season and I was worried they'd slipped up right at the end," said Garcia, from his family home in Perth this week.

"I'm sure they probably gave the whole fan-base a scare in those last few weeks.

"It was a crazy final day but all that matters is that they got there, so it's fantastic for the city, the club and the fans.

"You have to give Steve Bruce credit. He brought in a good mix of youth and experience.

"There was a good platform to build from there and not too much wrong, but to win automatic promotion out of the Championship is never easy. I was delighted for them."

Garcia's appreciation for his former club is clear and five years on the KC roller-coaster, including promotion to the Premier League in 2008, has left its mark.

Five of the Tigers' starting XI on that dramatic final day were former team-mates of Garcia and had fate been more of a friend, the 31-year-old could even have been part of the celebrations all over again.

Garcia was a casualty of last May's upheaval when following former boss Nick Barmby out of the back door, released on a free transfer a fortnight before Bruce's appointment.

That brought about a fresh start and a move to A-League side Melbourne Heart last summer, leaving the one-time City winger watching his former club from afar.

But absence has made the heart grow fonder.

"As much as I've enjoyed my football here, which has been good, I have missed it in England," added Garcia, who made 128 appearances for the Tigers between 2007 and 2012.

"I might be Australian but I was brought up in English football, with all that hustle and bustle.

"Over here you'll find the season finishes at the end of March and even then it's only 20 something games.

"In England it can be Saturday, Tuesday and Saturday a lot of the year and that was something I always used to enjoy."

A fresh start with Melbourne Heart took Garcia and his family back to the shores of his birth for the first sustained period since leaving to join West Ham as a 15-year-old in 1996.

The antipodean adventure has yielded mixed results. Although Garcia was the star of the show, crowned the Heart's Player of the Season with six goals in his 24 appearances, a disappointing campaign finished with his team second bottom of the A-League.

Directly above the Heart outside the A-League play-offs were Newcastle Jets, spearheaded by Emile Heskey and Michael Bridges, and Alessandro Del Peiro's Sydney FC. The competition was won last month by Central Coast Mariners, now home to former Sheffield United midfielder Nick Montgomery.

Garcia said: "It was a good season for me personally, but it wasn't the team's greatest year."

So how do the standards compare?

"The better teams over here would probably do well in the Championship, maybe mid-table, but the lesser teams in the A-League would probably be either around the bottom of the Championship or the top of League One," he said.

"The competition is developing and if you looked at the best XI's for each team I'm sure they could probably hold their own in the Championship.

"Beyond that it can be tough because of the size of the squads you have, and also the younger guys coming through can find it difficult. They're maybe a little bit too raw."

Garcia now finds himself at another cross-roads in his career. A one-year deal with Melbourne Heart is soon to expire and though negotiations over an extension are ongoing, he makes no secret of assessing all options.

A wish to climb back into the Australian national side is still at the centre of his ambitions. Although he played in the 2013 East Asian Cup before Christmas, he does not expect to be in the reckoning for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

It was with City that Garcia became the club's first representative at a World Cup finals in South Africa three years ago and he refuses to give up hope of going to Brazil next summer.

"At the moment I'm just looking at my options," he added.

"I'm waiting on a few things but that should probably become clearer in the next three weeks.

"I'm still in negotiations with Melbourne Heart and there's another couple of A-League teams as well.

"There's also options in the Middle East and in Asia.

"I've got to consider everything for the good of my career. Ideally I'd like to play in a league that runs all year round.

"To get the best out of yourself you need to be playing as much competitive football as possible and this might be my last chance to make a World Cup squad."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Richard-Garcia-delighted-Hull-City-big-time/story-19088168-detail/story.html#axzz2UI1cXVpH

Garcia makes it a bit clearer in this recent article that a main priority of his is to make the 2014 World Cup (probably the last World Cup he could partake in), and that money isn't his only/main calculation. It's positive to hear that from Garcia, as before money seemed to be the only sticking point.

Hopefully things come good with Garcia, but if he really wants to make the World Cup then I couldn't hold anything against him if he went overseas to pursue that opportunity (annoyingly, he could even go to the Middle East to get a reasonable chance of making the World Cup, given Osieck's squad selections).

P.S. I think he could even make the World Cup squad if he played for Heart, but he seems to think that a move overseas with more football would improve his chances.

Edited by Murfy1

Just a quick plug for the league season being too short and the off season being too long. Thankyou Richard.

"I've got to consider everything for the good of my career. Ideally I'd like to play in a league that runs all year round.

I am convinced we would attract more high profile players if the length of our season was comparable to those overseas.

If he had/has any real commitment to MHFC he could re-sign as Babalj did - for one year but with an escape clause set at a fairly nominal level of $200,000-$300,000.

That way if there was a genuine interest from overseas he could leave immediately. That sort of money is chicken feed for an overseas club, but important for an A-League club such as MHFC.

I like the guy, I think he's a good player and could do well for us, but if we have some other players in our sights and we get them TBH serve Garcia right if he misses out.

He is pissing me off, no one player is bigger than the team, yes he was and probably is our best player, but for 3 years i dont think so ill go as far as giving him 2 with an option of a 3rd, at best. 

I love him though but with Mate, ramsay, germano, gol gol, williams and even kalmar, i think we will be alright losing him

He is pissing me off, no one player is bigger than the team, yes he was and probably is our best player, but for 3 years i dont think so ill go as far as giving him 2 with an option of a 3rd, at best. 

I love him though but with Mate, ramsay, germano, gol gol, williams and even kalmar, i think we will be alright losing him

Go home Malla you're drunk

• Like 1

In football, you can sign players longer than you want, because it benefits the club in getting a transfer fee.

I'd sign him for 3 years given he fits one of our key criteria of a returning Socceroo able to perform and provide leadership.  A nucleus of Kewell, Garcia, Kisnorbo for example would be a good starting point.

In football, you can sign players longer than you want, because it benefits the club in getting a transfer fee.

I'd sign him for 3 years given he fits one of our key criteria of a returning Socceroo able to perform and provide leadership.  A nucleus of Kewell, Garcia, Kisnorbo for example would be a good starting point.

Garcia is nearing the end of his career, so I'd be surprised if a big spending club was prepared to pay a lot to buy him from us. Also, I wouldn't mind the idea of Garcia retiring at this club, especially if he provided more seasons like last season.

I reckon a deal with Kewell DOES suggest that we might re-sign Garcia, because A) we'll have a good amount of money left over after making shrewd and cheap signings, like with Kewell B ) our Australian marquee spot is still free, meaning that we're fully able to secure Garcia on a deal that he would find fair (which, objectively viewed, might be seen as a slightly generous deal, as well).

Edited by Murfy1

For all the Euro snobs who are quite happy to watch the English Championship, Richard Garcia, who has just returned from England, had this to say about the standard of the A League:

Garcia said: "It was a good season for me personally, but it wasn't the team's greatest year."

So how do the standards compare?

"The better teams over here would probably DO WELL IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP, maybe mid-table,"

And what about the lesser teams in the A League?

Richard Garcia said:

"the lesser teams in the A-League would probably be either around the bottom of the Championship or the top of League One," he said.

"The competition is developing and if you looked at the best XI's for each team I'm sure they could probably hold their own in the Championship."

Who knows what's in the pipeline with signings. Normally, I'm happy to wait and see as negotiations take their course.

But right now, I'm very worried. Signing Garcia should've been the first priority as soon as last season finished. It's a no brainer. Make him an Australian marquee, give him the captaincy and pay him more money. I'm sick of seeing players do well and then leave just as fans form an attachment to them. Garcia is the one guy who is good on the pitch, reigning player of the year, well respected, liked by fans, and who we can start to build a solid reputation or 'brand' around. It was a simple no-brainer. How do we expect to build a well known brand when our squad changes so dramatically every year and our best players continually leave? It doesn't have to happen this time. Garcia can finish his career here and in maybe 3 or 4 years given his body holds up, become something we have in very short supply - a Melbourne Heart player people who don't follow the game closely know and respect.

As it is, we've so far signed nobody of note, wasted an airfare and a few of days of Scott Munn's time to sign a player who disappeared, and still haven't even signed Garcia. I really hope things start working out, and I hope I'm surprised by some good signings eventually. But right now, it's not looking great.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

From Michael Lynch's article on the Age website

He will be a major focus in a team that is rebuilding, which should suit him. He will probably be given free rein to show his talents and he is playing for and with (coach John Aloisi, assistant Hayden Foxe and midfielder Richard Garcia) men with whom he has enjoyed good times at international level, all of which should help.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/kewell-remains-a-big-draw-but-heart-needs-a-big-winner-20130605-2nqni.html#ixzz2VLMcqBMe

Perhaps Lynch has his ear to the ground.

From Michael Lynch's article on the Age website

He will be a major focus in a team that is rebuilding, which should suit him. He will probably be given free rein to show his talents and he is playing for and with (coach John Aloisi, assistant Hayden Foxe and midfielder Richard Garcia) men with whom he has enjoyed good times at international level, all of which should help.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/kewell-remains-a-big-draw-but-heart-needs-a-big-winner-20130605-2nqni.html#ixzz2VLMcqBMe

Perhaps Lynch has his ear to the ground.

It's an interesting passage. Lynch is a long time journalist who is usually pretty knowledgeable about Heart, and he usually doesn't write carelessly.

Given that there's also been no reporting of other clubs being currently interested in Garcia (he has said there are "options" in the Middle East and Asia, but I would have thought if Garcia was near signing for one of those clubs there's be some reporting of it), I can't help but think that Garcia is going to eventually re-sign with Heart. This passage from Lynch, along with the prominent picture of Garcia on Heart's memberships website, really hints that he should be re-signed.

I can see Garcia getting the armband if we re-sign him as well. Garcia most probably knows this, which would give him even more leverage to negotiate a high paying contract with Heart. Hopefully Garcia accepts a reasonable pay rise, but doesn't try to make Heart break the bank on him, as Heart could really use some quality VISA players, which won't come cheap.

Heart's local or Australian squad is meant to start pre-season next week, I recall, so hopefully we'll hear an announcement before then.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Players confirmed in the senior squad for next season are:

Redmayne;

Walker, Vrankovic, Gerhardt, Mitchinson;

Germano, Kalmar, Mauk, Murdocca, Kewell;

Garuccio, Mebrahtu, Williams, Macallister, Dugandzic, Ramsay.

That makes 16.

Hoffman has indicated on Twitter that "he's with the Heart for next season." Garcia is still "negotiating." As far as I'm concerned neither are confirmed signings.

We need a second GK. We have said that we hope to tie up two visa players soon, plus a marquee whom I'm assuming is another visa player. That's four more players.

So we that brings us to 20-22 players, depending on the Hoffman/Garcia situation.

That's the numbers. Despite the hype so far, IMO that's not a squad strong enough to win the League, and it needs reinforcement in all three areas - defence, midfield and up front. Much will depend on the remaining visa signings.

Edited by jw1739

Players confirmed in the senior squad for next season are:

Redmayne;

Walker, Vrankovic, Gerhardt, Mitchinson;

Germano, Kalmar, Mauk, Murdocca, Kewell;

Garuccio, Mebrahtu, Williams, Macallister, Dugandzic, Ramsay.

That makes 16.

Hoffman has indicated on Twitter that "he's with the Heart for next season." Garcia is still "negotiating." As far as I'm concerned neither are confirmed signings.

We need a second GK. We have said that we hope to tie up two visa players soon, plus a marquee whom I'm assuming is another visa player. That's four more players.

So we that brings us to 20-22 players, depending on the Hoffman/Garcia situation.

That's the numbers. Despite the hype so far, IMO that's not a squad strong enough to win the League, and it needs reinforcement in all three areas - defence, midfield and up front. Much will depend on the remaining visa signings.

I did a similar thing in my head and tends to make me think one of the Internationals announced next week has to be a defender type.

Perhaps Jiří Jarošík is one as his signature would mean alongside Paddy we would have two players capable of playing CB and DM.

Edited by cadete

if only we got rid of macallister and hoffman, and actually signed a decent australian CB, we'd have plenty of room left in the roster and our squad would be much better

Agreed. Bearing in mind some of our players will be disappearing for national duties from time to time, IMO we've left ourselves short of room to accommodate what we need. There's a lot of players in that squad who really need to step up and consistently deliver to their potential.

if only we got rid of macallister and hoffman, and actually signed a decent australian CB, we'd have plenty of room left in the roster and our squad would be much better

Kisnorbo fits that decent Australian CB role although if we do end up signing Jarosik, I'm sure Vrankovic is sufficient cover.

Did some good things when given the chance last season in my opinion

Theres no doubt our next 3 signings have to be a defender, midfielder and striker. (And goalkeeper)

Defender needs to be a big,strong, experienced euro block head type.

Midfielder needs to be a technically sound and very creative play maker.

Striker needs to be a pure finisher.

(Im not too fussed about getting a back up keeper just yet. It seems a position which can be filled pretty quickly and easily).

Make it happen JA/JD

Hearing from a reasonable source that Garcia more then likely will not re-sign, they just can't get the money right and he is after far too much.

Personally I'm of the opinion he is worth a good chunk but I guess the club have put a limit to it and he thinks he is worth more.

Will be a shame if he does go!