Melbourne Football

Who's in our best XI 2013/14

HeartinHobart

We need players who are going to perform to their own capabilities on a regular basis - then a manager can actually put a team on the park that he has confidence in.

All our players are technically good footballers, and our squad looks good on paper, but so few players perform up to their capabilities that as a team we are a disorganised rabble. We must have the lowest pass-completion rate of any first-class league team in the world.

I personally would retain possibly just a couple of the players coming out of contract; the rest should go, and I'd be trying to move on a couple who are contracted for another year. Otherwise we'll end up bottom again next season. And our club cannot afford that.

Edited by jw1739

Redmayne, Gol Gol, Williams, Dugandzic, Babalj, Tadic, Walker, Garcia, Gerhardt, Vrankovic, Germano can be in, or all challenge for, a starting XI spot IMO, I would give Meeuwis more of a chance as well.

We def need to strengthen the squad at left back, and need another midfielder after we get rid of Hoffman and Thompson, and I'm not to keen on Kalmar due to his inconsistency. We also need a marquee player, don't really care if that's in defence, midfield or attack.

The main thing to have is a good coach though, I say give JA another chance for the first half of the season, if we don't improve get rid of him. I think we have some talented players who do not perform at their maximum potential, for that to happen we need a good, experienced coach. 

Biggest needs are a Centre Back or Holding midfielder depending on where they see Paddy playing next season and a left back.

Mate should be given license to be the creative outlet in the midfield that Fred was last season. And another winger wouldn't hurt to put pressure on Gol Gol and Williams.

Oh and a Plan B would be nice instead of sticking to the same system/formula in games where it is obviously not working.

We need players who are going to perform to their own capabilities on a regular basis - then a manager can actually put a team on the park that he has confidence in.

All our players are technically good footballers, and our squad looks good on paper, but so few players perform up to their capabilities that as a team we are a disorganised rabble. We must have the lowest pass-completion rate of any first-class league team in the world.

I personally would retain possibly just a couple of the players coming out of contract; the rest should go, and I'd be trying to move on a couple who are contracted for another year. Otherwise we'll end up bottom again next season. And our club cannot afford that.

Our squad may be decent on paper but the problem is that (ironically) they play with no ticker (except for derbies). The difference in our intensity between derbies and away matches is unacceptable and I think the blame should be on the players for that. With that said, we are in shambles and that is only one of many problems.

Redmayne

Walker Gerhardt ??????? ???????

????????

Garcia ?????????

Dugandzic Babalj Golgol

players to keep on the bench Vrankovic, Williams, Garuccio, Kalmar, Tadic

Vrankovic and Kalmar can start if they are good enough/consistent enough, but their positions are open imo

I like both Williams and Garuccio, but i think we can rotate the wingers, I prefer Babalj but if Tadic is better select him

Sign a good quality CB (Madashi), CDM ?????, and another playmaking box to box midfielder to fill the gaps

Edited by Mentor

• 2 months later...

How I'd hope we lineup with all players available. As of today's signing without including Garcia:

--------------------International Striker--------------------

Kewell-----------------Dugandzic----------------Williams

---------------Murdocca----------Germano---------------

Ramsay---------Gerhardt------Wielaert---------Walker

-------------------------Redmayne-------------------------

Bench:

2nd Keeper

Vrankovic

Kalmar

Mebrahtu

Reserves:

Garuccio

Mitchinson

Hoffman

Mauk

Macallistar

So we have 18 players. Still need to sign a 2nd GK which means we have 1-4 spots left on the roster, 2 of which can be International. Not the worst squad in the league but at this point in time I still think we will struggle to make finals.

• Like 3

How I'd hope we lineup with all players available. As of today's signing without including Garcia:

ATM I think your'e right. This looks like our starting 11, although I reckon Kewell will play centrally, and Williams will again play on the left and Dugandzic will play on the right.

Assuming we get a striker as good as Tadic or better, I think we can easily make the finals with that team, especially If we don't have any longish injuries like we had last season (where Dugandzic just about missed the whole season, Tadic missed several weeks and Garrucio was out for 4 to 5 weeks). If we get a top striker like Holt, I think we'll make the top 3 or 4. And if we sign a fifth quality VISA player, I reckon we'd finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

Kewell is a wildcard as well. If he plays like he did during the second half of his stint at Victory, he could be immense for us.

I've got a lot of confidence in our current squad. A final few quality signings though should ensure we have a strong and competitive season.

Edited by Murfy1

A year older and much fitter Gol Gol Mebrahtu has to be selected over Williams IMO...

agree, i think gol gol has a lot more natural ability than williams. The more game time he has, the better he gets

does anyone else have a feeling Kewell will be played as our number 10 attacking mid? With the last 2 visa spots being on a marquee striker and another DM (as aloisi mentioned

I'd love to see germano play right back, i think he's a little more solid than Walker, who's still developing. He's a bit sharper and tidier on the ball, and puts in some very dangerous crosses whenever given the chance.

Marquee Striker 

Mebrahtu                             Dugandzic

Kewell 

Visa DM       Murdocca

Ramsay  Wieleart  Gerhardt  Germano

Redmayne

Bench: 2nd Keeper, Vrankovic, Kalmar, Williams

A year older and much fitter Gol Gol Mebrahtu has to be selected over Williams IMO...

agree, i think gol gol has a lot more natural ability than williams. The more game time he has, the better he gets does anyone else have a feeling Kewell will be played as our number 10 attacking mid? With the last 2 visa spots being on a marquee striker and another DM (as aloisi mentioned I'd love to see germano play right back, i think he's a little more solid than Walker, who's still developing. He's a bit sharper and tidier on the ball, and puts in some very dangerous crosses whenever given the chance. 

Marquee Striker 

Mebrahtu                             Dugandzic

Kewell 

Visa DM       Murdocca

Ramsay  Wieleart  Gerhardt  Germano

Redmayne

Bench: 2nd Keeper, Vrankovic, Kalmar, Williams

Ok his Tasmanian so I may be biased but surely Walker showed enough last season coming from our youth side to demand the RB spot. As a 19 year old he barely put a foot wrong. A full per-season under his belt and I reckon Jez could really have a break out year

• Like 4

A year older and much fitter Gol Gol Mebrahtu has to be selected over Williams IMO...

Just not sure if he has got over the Osteitis Pubis. Would be surprised to see him get a full season (including pre) without injuries. Really like having him on the bench tbh. But you're right in saying that if he is fit & firing he demands a starting XI spot but so does Kalmar when you think about it.

• Like 1

Marquee (hopefully Holt)

Williams              Kewell                  Mate

Murdocca             Germano

Ramsay      Gerhardt       Wielaert       Walker

Redders

Bench: GolGol, Kalmar, Garuccio, Vrankovic, 2nd keeper

That is the way we'd lineup if I were JA. 

I think Harry will be better suited to play centrally with pace around him on the wings and a quality striker up front to feed balls to.

I hope Mate comes back from injury and is able to be the player he was, if not I'd swap him out for either Garuccio who was impressive last season or GolGol.

If Wielaert isn't good I would start Vrankovic over him, imo he played well towards the end of the season.

Bench:

2nd Keeper

Vrankovic

Kalmar

Mebrahtu

Reserves:

Garuccio

Mitchinson

Hoffman

Mauk

Macallistar

So we have 18 players. Still need to sign a 2nd GK which means we have 1-4 spots left on the roster, 2 of which can be International. Not the worst squad in the league but at this point in time I still think we will struggle to make finals.

Pretty much the same for me atm except i'd want to push Vranks in to CB and play Gerhardt further up the field in the DM position occupied by Germano. Keen to see how he'd play in his preferred position.  Germano is great cover and i think he's great but based off his performances last season i'm not sure if he's starting 11 for a finals ambitious squad. That being said, if he's completely shaken his injury and back to how he was playing in season 2 i'm more than happy for him to be there.

Competition for spots :up:  big up on last year that's for sure!

• Like 2

Bench:

2nd Keeper

Vrankovic

Kalmar

Mebrahtu

Reserves:

Garuccio

Mitchinson

Hoffman

Mauk

Macallistar

Omit Williams, put Dugandzic on the right and Garcia into AM, and we're looking good.

Dunno about you guys, but I definitely rate Germano ahead of Mass.

For the captaincy, if someone like Holt, Karagounis or Albelda came I'd give it to them - otherwise the only ones he stand out curently are Gerhardt or maybe Redders (excluding Richie of course).

As for youth only ones who I think would be considered at this stage are probably Retre, Petreski, Kaya and Mullet. Stipo could have been a chance til the poor cunt did his ACL.

In my opinion, they will resolve things and Garcia will end up at Heart next year. Although I've been known to be wrong occasionally.

Afaik, it is very, very unlikely. They are just way to far apart on the numbers and app the club can't afford to retain him on his terms... (Even though I think he has clearly shown he would warrant the Aussie Marquee spot, considering you have guys like Emerton, Farchie and Vidosic on similar deals)