Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

Pretty much confirms my mode of thinking. The opportunities we do create are 'low percentage' ones, meaning they're confined to either outside the box or from areas where there is a good chance it will be dealt with by the opposition defence.

This isn't necessarily a reflection of the players, however at times they may be culpable, but more so the overall style of play we have at the moment. When emphasis is placed on defending in numbers and breakaway long-ball attacks, you soon forget how to think creatively and innovatively when it comes to creating opportunities in your attacking third.

So far we've played four of the better teams in the competition, WSW, CCM, v*****y and Brisbane. Our next three games are against opposition who we should at least be with on par: Sydney (home), Newcastle (away) and Adelaide (home). Not only should we be looking to win those games, but to also become more attack focused with respect to creating more 'high percentage' goal scoring opportunities.

Edited by Semper Cor

Pretty much confirms my mode of thinking. The opportunities we do create are 'low percentage' ones, meaning they're confined to either outside the box or from areas where there is a good chance it will be dealt with by the opposition defence.

This isn't necessarily a reflection of the players, however at times they may be culpable, but more so the overall style of play we have at the moment. When emphasis is placed on defending in numbers and breakaway long-ball attacks, you soon forget how to think creatively and innovatively when it comes to creating opportunities in your attacking third.

So far we've played four of the better teams in the competition, WSW, CCM, v*****y and Brisbane. Our next three games are against opposition who we should at least be with on par: Sydney (home), Newcastle (away) and Adelaide (home). Not only should we be looking to win those games, but to also become more attack focused with respect to creating more 'high percentage' goal scoring opportunities.

With respect that's Aloisi-speak. Every game is worth 3 points, and we should be doing everything we can to win every game, not just those against teams we are "on a par with." Conceding mentally that we're not as good as four of the teams in the league basically means that we're conceding that we're not going to do any better than mid-table. That is just not good enough and is why MHFC oozes mediocrity from every pore and is now being labelled an "innocuous little club."

• Like 4

Pretty much confirms my mode of thinking. The opportunities we do create are 'low percentage' ones, meaning they're confined to either outside the box or from areas where there is a good chance it will be dealt with by the opposition defence.This isn't necessarily a reflection of the players, however at times they may be culpable, but more so the overall style of play we have at the moment. When emphasis is placed on defending in numbers and breakaway long-ball attacks, you soon forget how to think creatively and innovatively when it comes to creating opportunities in your attacking third.So far we've played four of the better teams in the competition, WSW, CCM, v*****y and Brisbane. Our next three games are against opposition who we should at least be with on par: Sydney (home), Newcastle (away) and Adelaide (home). Not only should we be looking to win those games, but to also become more attack focused with respect to creating more 'high percentage' goal scoring opportunities.

With respect that's Aloisi-speak. Every game is worth 3 points, and we should be doing everything we can to win every game, not just those against teams we are "on a par with." Conceding mentally that we're not as good as four of the teams in the league basically means that we're conceding that we're not going to do any better than mid-table. That is just not good enough and is why MHFC oozes mediocrity from every pore and is now being labelled an "innocuous little club."

Exactly, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't have that attitude because your pretty much saying we shouldn't beat almost half the teams in the aleague. How on earth can you have any success with that!!

• Like 3

Okay, not the point of my post, but I digress.

Yeah, I agree with everything you guys have said, 100%. We should approach each game with the mind set to win regardless of the opponent, and in a competition with all things being equal, this should be do-able (at least more do-able than what it is now). I think I've made this point in one of my other posts about how attitude should be changed to allow a better opportunity for success.

But based on on-pitch performances so far and the latest table standings, the reality is that it's not. We all know this and is why so many of us feel frustrated.

The point of my post was that, we're now, over the next three weeks, going to be playing teams who are in a semi-similar situation to us, like it or not. How we perform against said teams, will give us a better insight to how we're going to change our attacking plan and options, because right now, it hasn't been working for us despite what the statistics say.

Edited by Semper Cor

Platitudes like 'every game is worth 3 points' and 'we should be doing everything we can to win every game' are worthless. Of course every game is worth 3 points, and of course we should do all we can to win.

We can beat every team in the competition, that's something that's been true since our first season. And that's a point both JVS and JA have made multiple times. And of course we should do all we can to win every game because every game is worth 3 points.

But, if you're realistic and you understand things like probabilities, then you can't ignore that there are 4 sides in the competition that are significantly stronger than the rest at the moment, CCM, MV, BR and WSW, and we've played all 4 of them in our first 5 rounds.

And given that the A-League only has 10 teams, if we beat Sydney and Newcastle every time we play them then we are highly likely to make the finals. Also, Adelaide, Wellington and Perth are sides we can get a lot of points off.

Whinging about attitude is besides the point. I know we can beat the likely 4 top sides, and I'm certain we'll get some wins against them this season. I'm actually pretty confident we'll beat Victory in our remaining 2 games against them, so I expect that we'll have 1 draw and 2 wins against them this season. But we'll get the majority of our points against the other 5 teams. 

• Like 1

Just because someone on a forum said the top four sides are better doesn't mean that's an attitude at the club. The way that suddenly became another example for people to point to of 'accepting mediocrity' shows what a stupid cliche it's become.

Anyone who watched us play Brisbane, Mariners and Wanderers can't seriously think we didn't go into those games trying for anything less than 3 points.

• Like 2

Just because someone on a forum said the top four sides are better doesn't mean that's an attitude at the club. The way that suddenly became another example for people to point to of 'accepting mediocrity' shows what a stupid cliche it's become.

Anyone who watched us play Brisbane, Mariners and Wanderers can't seriously think we didn't go into those games trying for anything less than 3 points.

Sash I don't think that the players don't care if they win or los

Sash I don't think that the players don't care if they win or lose, I don't think that the coach don't care either however the equanimity with which the coaching staff and club accept loss after loss after loss after loss doesn't reassure us that losing hurts or that the club has ambitions beyond playing in the HAL

Edited by belaguttman

I agree we need to improve on some of these statistics over the next few weeks. And there's reason to think that we probably will. 

We've so far had a reasonable number of goal attempts, but low percentage on target. As you say, it's probably a sign of not getting into enough good scoring positions.

In two of our five games, we've created hardly any chances - the defensive opener against Victory and in Perth - our worst attacking performance so far.

In the other three, we've created quite a few, and against highly credentialled teams - Wanderers, Brisbane and Mariners. I think these three sides will probably concede the least number of goals in the league.

But as well as a difficult draw so far, we haven't yet seen much of our two most important attacking recruits - Mifsud and Kewell. As well as Kalmar. Mifsud is starting to look better, and what we saw from Kewell in round 1 looked good.

As well as playing weaker defences, our own performance should get better. If things don't improve over the next 3 or 4 weeks, well I think that's it for Aloisi. But it really should start to improve as there's enough talent.

In my opinion, Wanderers and Brisbane will probably be the clear top two. But after that, I think it's still quite open, and a couple of wins puts us back in the mix.

• Like 1

Aloisi avoids open Heart surgery

Melbourne Heart chief executive Scott Munn threw his support behind the team's coach John Aloisi, who is without a win since February.

In what is colloquially referred to as a 'kiss of death' in football, Munn publicly backed Aloisi, insisting the club still sees the Australia international as its long-term coach, with an unchanged expectation to play finals this season, despite starting with three draws and two losses to be last on the ladder.

"We're not participating for any other reason. There's a long way to go," Munn said.

"We have an absolute obligation to give him every opportunity to succeed in his position and we haven't changed."

Aloisi and football boss John Didulica presented at the Heart's monthly board meeting on Tuesday.

Munn said the next three games - against Sydney FC, away to Newcastle Jets and at home against Adelaide United - are "really important" for the club.

Aloisi will again be without the injured Harry Kewell and has indicated changes to boost his team's attacking potency are likely after focussing on "punishing teams" in training.

He is adamant Heart doesn't need to change too much to start winning.

"Losing is never an option. I hate losing but it's part of the game. I can't think about losing, I can only think about making sure we prepare well enough to win," Aloisi said.

"It does get frustrating because we know that we should have had not just one win we should have had at least a couple."

The Sky Blues have been forced into changes in defence with Tiago Calvano and Marc Warren both missing through suspension.

Aloisi was unsure whether attention on Del Piero after winning numerous free kicks against Victory would cause referees to take a second look at his actions.

"Let's hope so," Aloisi said with a grin.

"I don't know who the referee is tomorrow, if he'll be looking closely at that, if it's going to help us that'll be great."

Kewell has been training at AFL side Carlton's high-altitude replicating facilities but has only just resumed running.

Edited by Tommykins

Aloisi avoids open Heart surgery

Melbourne Heart chief executive Scott Munn threw his support behind the team's coach John Aloisi, who is without a win since February.

"It does get frustrating because we know that we should have had not just one win we should have had at least a couple."

No, we should have had 5 wins.

• Like 2

When the board says

" we are 100% behind the coach , he has our full support "

What they really mean

"We are 100% behind the coach with a dagger in hand, his soon to be announced replacement will have our full support "

I don't know if that's the case with Heart management but I do hope they are looking for a suitable replacement. 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/15/a-league-what-to-look-out-for-this-weekend "Heart attack

During the half-time break at last week’s match fans were treated, if that’s the right word, to a Heart v Wanderers computer game played by two young men in the guts of the stadium and projected onto the big screen. The Wanderers (well, the bloke playing the Wanderers) won the match on penalties but the home crowd at least had the opportunity to do what they’ve only had two opportunities to do all season, and that’s cheer a few Heart goals. And cheer they did, good-naturedly. Sadly for them, they were the only Heart goals they’d see that day.

Considering that the 1-0 loss locked the Heart into last place on the ladder it may surprise some that the mood inside AAMI Park wasn’t imbued with despondency, anger or bitterness. You could argue that’s because the fans have low expectations, or that’s it’s hard to read the collective mood of a crowd when it’s on the small side and widely dispersed around a stadium. Then again, you could equally argue the fans at least recognised their team put in a decent shift against last year’s premiers and that their effort couldn’t be faulted (it’s barely been mentioned, but the Heart have this season played both of last year’s grand finalists, plus leading lights like the Victory, the Roar, and Glory away – a tough opening five matches in anyone’s estimation). Furthermore, chances, plenty of them, are being created, they’re just not finding the back of the net. That’s a pretty big ‘just’, admittedly, but it does explain John Aloisi’s insistence that all is not lost. But if his optimism is to be maintained someone will need to step up, and step up soon. Perhaps Sydney’s fragile defence may help spark the Heart attack."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/15/a-league-what-to-look-out-for-this-weekend "Heart attack

During the half-time break at last week’s match fans were treated, if that’s the right word, to a Heart v Wanderers computer game played by two young men in the guts of the stadium and projected onto the big screen. The Wanderers (well, the bloke playing the Wanderers) won the match on penalties but the home crowd at least had the opportunity to do what they’ve only had two opportunities to do all season, and that’s cheer a few Heart goals. And cheer they did, good-naturedly. Sadly for them, they were the only Heart goals they’d see that day.

Considering that the 1-0 loss locked the Heart into last place on the ladder it may surprise some that the mood inside AAMI Park wasn’t imbued with despondency, anger or bitterness. You could argue that’s because the fans have low expectations, or that’s it’s hard to read the collective mood of a crowd when it’s on the small side and widely dispersed around a stadium. Then again, you could equally argue the fans at least recognised their team put in a decent shift against last year’s premiers and that their effort couldn’t be faulted (it’s barely been mentioned, but the Heart have this season played both of last year’s grand finalists, plus leading lights like the Victory, the Roar, and Glory away – a tough opening five matches in anyone’s estimation). Furthermore, chances, plenty of them, are being created, they’re just not finding the back of the net. That’s a pretty big ‘just’, admittedly, but it does explain John Aloisi’s insistence that all is not lost. But if his optimism is to be maintained someone will need to step up, and step up soon. Perhaps Sydney’s fragile defence may help spark the Heart attack."

Yeah, I think I was the one that cheered :lawl:

I didn't agree with everything he said. I think that we have generally recruited well although the return of Behich means that Ramsay isn't being used as the LB he was recruited to be. Kewell is a luxury player and his pay reflects that but Engelaar's injury has changed his importance to the style of play and he becomes a necessity, unfortunately we won't get more than 10-15 games from him. Even with the obvious coaching issues, this leaves us without our creative midfield engine. I personally wouldn't have retained the Hoff or DMac but every group of fans would question some of their list. Apart from that Bozza was pretty accurate although FFA seem to be escaping their responsibility for the situation so far.

Edited by belaguttman

I don't think that they are blind to it, they sent JA and pizza boy to Europe to skill up in the off season and recruited Nus and re-engaged JvS to support him. I just think that they either have no more money or are unwilling to invest more money and so don't even want to pay out JA yet alone spend more money on a decent coach, and a decent coach and back room staff won't be cheap.

Bosnich just ripped our club on fox sports! He was pretty much spot on tbh

Thought he wasnt harsh enough on Aloisi. Same shit from same shit coach across two squads from the (1) last 5 games of last season and (2) the first 6 games this season. Two completely different squads - one of which was built / done alright under the previous boss.

Blame whatever you like your just avoid the issue with Aloisi.

John Aloisi defiant after Melbourne Heart succumb to another A-League loss

Melbourne Heart fans found their voice against Sydney FC, but the words were not what coach John Aloisi wanted to hear.

Whether it was 'Aloisi Out' or 'You're getting sacked in the morning' preceding the final siren, 'Let's pretend we scored a goal' or the loud booing that marked half and full time, Aloisi could not have missed the message.

Heart were purposeless and without shape against Sydney, losing 2-0 after first half goals to Alessandro Del Piero and Joel Chianese.

Aloisi could not defend his side's performance after the match, arguably Heart's worst of the season, and accepted responsibility.

"I know that the group, they won't give up ... we'll work hard to make things right," he said.

"In the other games my message has been getting through very well."

"Tonight, I understand the performance wasn't acceptable from our club. We don't want to be in this position, we don't want to be losing games, or putting in positions like that."

"I accept that I'm the one the buck stops with."

The reality is grim for Aloisi - last in the league, without a win in eleven games and without a goal in more than six hours of football.

In fact, the die was cast after Del Piero's 27th minute penalty as Heart under Aloisi have lost every game they've fallen behind in.

Responding to the fans, which also included an 'Aloisi Out' banner, Aloisi was sympathetic.

"I can understand their frustration. They don't want to see their team down the bottom."

"With a performance like that, they've got every right to show their frustration."

His conqueror, Frank Farina, takes three valuable points back to Sydney which takes his side third.

It was Sydney FC's first win at AAMI Park and just its second over Heart in four seasons.

Sacked himself at Brisbane Roar in 2009, Farina had kind words for the Heart boss.

"He's doing his best, what he believes is going to be good for the team."

"We've got to remember it's a game. Pressure is not having a place to live in, or having an illness or having your family sick. That's pressure."

"Football's a game, it's a game I love and I've been paid money to play it, coach it, you've got to put it in perspective."

"Unfortunately as a football coach, when the team loses it seems to be your fault, when they win it's great play or great players."

Farina has rebounded sharply after three losses to win against Melbourne Victory and Melbourne

Heart over the last fortnight, easing pressure from his own shoulders.

"Two wins is great but we've got to try and get that consistency and maintain it," he said.

"Inside the team, rest assured there's a real belief, we've got some great winners in there, and great leaders."

Sydney FC hosts Wellington Phoenix next weekend while Heart travel to Newcastle for another critical game.

AAP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-16/aloisi-defiant-after-heart-beat/5096642

Edited by Murfy1

Melbourne Heart coach John Aloisi faces crunch time to save his job

November 16, 2013 - 4:19PM

Michael Lynch

It's no exaggeration to say that former Socceroos star John Aloisi is battling for his coaching future over the next fortnight.

Melbourne Heart's board is sticking behind its beleaguered boss for the time being, reasoning that a knee-jerk reaction to its nightmare start to the season might do more harm than good.

But the ex-Premier League striker and scorer of perhaps the most famous goal in Australian soccer history – his penalty shootout winner that took the Socceroos to the World Cup in 2006 – has been around the game long enough to know that Heart's season cannot continue the way it has begun without someone paying the price. Inevitably, it is the coach.

It wasn't the scoreline of Friday night's loss to Sydney FC that was so disarming – 2-0 is hardly a shellacking – but the manner.

Heart showed little fight or enthusiasm and certainly didn't stick to the tactical game plan, allowing Alessandro Del Piero, in the manner of a strolling player, to dictate the tempo.

Heart was outmuscled, as Sydney coach Frank Farina pointed out later, and outfought by a side that is no one's idea of a top team. Until its fortuitous triumph over Melbourne Victory last weekend and its win against a dispirited Heart, most pundits had Sydney earmarked as battling for sixth spot at best.

Aloisi has shown plenty of character in his long career. Taking the penalty in that shootout – coincidentally eight years ago on Saturday, November 16 – showed how much mental toughness he had. His own strength of purpose in leaving Adelaide as a 15-year-old to move to Europe – first Italy and then eventually England and Spain – to forge a professional career, is testament to his mindset.

But when a person is a player their destiny is largely in their own hands. Sure, they need luck, and the support of a coach at crucial times, but their own performance determines how far they progress.

When they are a coach they are in control only up to a point. But, as Aloisi candidly remarked after the loss, Heart's fourth in six games so far in this winless campaign, the buck stops with him.

It is to his credit that he is upfront. But the club cannot continue to rely on the excuse that key players like Harry Kewell and Orlando Engelaar are missing through injury.

Aloisi knows that. He has been right to point out that his team might have enjoyed more luck at times this season – even Farina, on Friday night, made that point – but teams tend to make it for themselves.

For all of its pressure during certain matches – except on Friday night, when Sydney bossed the game – Heart has rarely looked like scoring. Its blank against the Sky Blues means it is now six hours since the red and whites hit the back of the net.

Aloisi probably has two more matches to pull things out of the fire, away to Newcastle next weekend and at home to Adelaide in round eight.

If there has been no improvement, the board will probably feel it has little alternative but to act.

If Heart remains winless and rooted to the foot of the table, the season will have virtually gone despite two thirds of it remaining.

The club struggles enough to attract interest and crowds in comparison with Victory, so it can ill afford such a situation, where there is five months of the season remaining but little prospect of finals.

In those circumstances, offering the coach as a sacrificial victim can mollify fans' emotions, give the players at least a short-term jolt and maintain interest and attract crowds to the next few games to see how the new boss is doing. It might not be right or fair, and it often proves to be no more than a short-term blip. But that's how things often work in the modern game.

Aloisi has been around long enough to know that it's crunch time.

He looked pained and frustrated when he faced the media on Friday night, and will be bracing for a week of speculation about his future, speculation that, in truth, probably began a fortnight or so ago.

While John van 't Schip is still closely associated with the club, it's unlikely that he would be the best candidate as a short-term replacement. His best role now will be to give aid to one of the men he first signed as a player and hope that he can help him turn things around.

It can happen, as Farina will testify. Eight days ago his head was on the chopping block and fans were queuing up to cut it off. Things have not changed completely in Sydney, but the situation is not as dire as it was. It's amazing what a couple of wins can do. How Aloisi wishes he could experience them.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-coach-john-aloisi-faces-crunch-time-to-save-his-job-20131116-2xnd2.html

More than 2 weeks probably. JVS is in town for the next 6 weeks to help out as per his contract so I reckon the board will be saying that JA needs to turn the ship around between now and the end of the year. If there is change to the coaching job it probably will be made after the next derby. But it could be sooner and will depend on how shit we are between now and then.

Edited by HEARTinator

Harry Kewell set to return from injury for Melbourne Heart's clash with Newcastle Jets
  • David Davutovic
  • Herald Sun
  • November 17, 2013 11:00PM

HARRY Kewell will return for Sunday's pressure-cooker game against Newcastle Jets with chief executive Scott Munn revealing that Melbourne Heart's board still expects a finals berth this season despite their worst-ever start.

Munn revealed that coach John Aloisi, whose contract expires at the end of next season, was under pressure although he denied that a board meeting took place on Sunday to discuss his future.

The scene is set for Kewell, who relishes pressure, to play the role of saviour with the veteran expected to return to the bench for the Jets clash along with hard-nosed defender Patrick Kisnorbo.

Kewell and Dutchman Rob Wielaert - captain and vice-captain - led a player meeting on Saturday to discuss their role in arresting the slump which has Heart chained to the bottom of the table, winless in 11 games and having scored just twice this season.

Munn described the performance in last Friday's 2-0 loss to Sydney FC as "appalling" and said things needed to improve.

Join David Davutovic's Studs Up

"Everyone in our organisation is under incredible pressure, particularly John (Aloisi) because he is the face of our football performance,'' Munn said.

"Our benchmark was to go deep into the finals and that remains our goal and. We're six rounds in and it hasn't gone our way but Perth were bottom at Christmas two seasons ago and made the grand final.

"We haven't started anywhere near where we would've expected but even worse than losing was that the performance was appalling, that was certainly the most disappointing factor, the way we lost.

"We have invested significantly not just in players but the football department. We've got three new full time staff in football department and with that comes significant expectations with regards to on-field results.

"When you're not winning games in any sport you'll be under scrutiny and everyone in the organisation is.

"Clearly we're incredibly disappointed with the start to the season, Friday night wasn't acceptable form anyone in the organisation, from the board to the players."

Munn revealed that marquee Orlando Engelaar might return sooner than anticipated but only Kewell and Kisnorbo were likely to return in Round 7.

"We need to continue to work and we've got Harry and Patrick back on the track. Orlando (Engelaar) is progressing incredibly well, a bit better than we expected," he said.

"We need to get back to a positive frame of mind but we're not shying away from anything."

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/football/a-league/harry-kewell-set-to-return-from-injury-for-melbourne-hearts-clash-with-newcastle-jets/story-e6frf4gl-1226762036437#ixzz2ku94nHf6

A bit of positive news out of an awful week. 

Although Munn said Harry was a 100% chance of starting last week so I won't hold my breath.