Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

What about Olof Mellberg, 35 and still decent, think he's at Villarreal on a 1 year deal.

One name mentioned a while back that would suit our club is Adrian Mutu.

both are very good players, but neither has any crowd pulling power which is what we need

I think this topic is both useful and appropriate, if your not interested then dont look at the thread, the fact that you are suggest you have interest but dont agree with direction and popular opinion.

We looked at beckham so are obviously keen on a "good" fitting marquee player. What we would have offered Beckham would be significant so saying players are out of reach is wrong imo, it is just whether it can be justified imo is the question. I think a good amount of money on a player like Raul or Totti would be ideal and would work on and off the pitch.

Otherwise spend the money on recruiting what we always try and do, but high quality youthful internationals (more than 1) players of Garcia's and Broich or berisha's quality who will make us succesful through results which really is a better option in the long run.

my opinion on the matter

Edited by Mentor
  • Like 1

I think this topic is both useful and appropriate, if your not interested then dont look at the thread, the fact that you are suggest you have interest but dont agree with direction and popular opinion.

We looked at beckham so are obviously keen on a "good" fitting marquee player. What we would have offered Beckham would be significant so saying players are out of reach is wrong imo, it is just whether it can be justified imo is the question. I think a good amount of money on a player like Raul or Totti would be ideal and would work on and off the pitch.

Otherwise spend the money on recruiting what we always try and do, but high quality youthful internationals (more than 1) players of Garcia's and Broich or berisha's quality who will make us succesful through results which really is a better option in the long run.

my opinion on the matter

+1, except totti wants another roma contract

Javier Saviola - Argentinian striker/midfielder for Malaga. He's been an Argentinian international, played for Barca, Real Madrid, Sevilla, Monaco and Porto, as well as River Plate. Not a hugely recognised name but a huge talent and 32 this year. I saw him play for Malaga a few weeks ago - a very classy player who would add a lot to the team on the field. He would probably remember JA and I'm sure that Germano would love to see him here :) . Top dollar though, but not a passed-it hack.

• Like 2

my opinion on the matter

+1, except totti wants another roma contract

He hasnt had the offer from Heart yet :D, but seriously of course he does and odds are they will give him a year really but he would be great and he is really the same type of character which will focus the eyes of the non die hard soccer fan in Australia.

Those that know me know that i worship totti. As much as i would love for him to come to heart, like the post above said. Totti IS roma. He is the type of person to think that he would not lower himself to play for another club. I believe he once said that the only club he would move to was real madrid when they were showing interest during their stage of absolute dominance. Would love to be proven wrong. I think our best result would be Lampard. The guy would bring shitloads through the gate week after week plus still dominate. Go after a big fish, after adp, anything is possible.

• Like 2

Totti is just an example, any player like him should be the ultimate aim, no point floating in middle ground with a "Marquee" who doesnt provide the absolute draw imo is point, names are names nothing more

I agree with this.

If we are going down this part it has to be a mega star of this standing. Claiming marquee status on a non household name will again render us a joke.

Do something, do it properly. This club has to learn this.

Know that the cat is out of the bag(club outlandish statement), we are now expected to make a big signing. Club has put some pressure on itself. Do it right. Big name.

• Like 2

Javier Saviola - Argentinian striker/midfielder for Malaga. He's been an Argentinian international, played for Barca, Real Madrid, Sevilla, Monaco and Porto, as well as River Plate. Not a hugely recognised name but a huge talent and 32 this year. I saw him play for Malaga a few weeks ago - a very classy player who would add a lot to the team on the field. He would probably remember JA and I'm sure that Germano would love to see him here :) . Top dollar though, but not a passed-it hack.

My wife's cousin lives just outside Malaga and says that the Qatari dude that bought the team has disappeared owing a lot of money. Manuel Pelligrini is talking about leaving the club for an EPL job (man City or Chelsea) and taking some players with him. Saviola doesn't want to play in England....

• Like 1

Saviola would dominate this league. Not a massive name to bring the bandwagoners through but someone to consider if he accepts a decrease in wages.

He would get better options offered to him though in my opinion. But worth a shot!

This guy was called the next Maradona at one stage (yes one of many). May not be well known in Australia but would easily be the best player in the league that's including ADP. I'll throw another name in the ring I'm not sure what he is up to these days but I always had a soft spot for Pablo Aimar could team up with Williams in the hair = power stakes.

Saviola would dominate this league. Not a massive name to bring the bandwagoners through but someone to consider if he accepts a decrease in wages.

He would get better options offered to him though in my opinion. But worth a shot!

This guy was called the next Maradona at one stage (yes one of many). May not be well known in Australia but would easily be the best player in the league that's including ADP. I'll throw another name in the ring I'm not sure what he is up to these days but I always had a soft spot for Pablo Aimar could team up with Williams in the hair = power stakes.

Either of these guys would be good as players. But do they offer anything as mentors for other players or from a PR perspective? We need someone who will put bums on seats. Then again, I guess how a marquee works depends on the club. Ono was/is hardly a household name, yet look at what he has done for WSW.

Either of these guys would be good as players. But do they offer anything as mentors for other players or from a PR perspective? We need someone who will put bums on seats. Then again, I guess how a marquee works depends on the club. Ono was/is hardly a household name, yet look at what he has done for WSW.

WSW crowd has very little to do with Ono.

I think we need a crowd puller but I don't think we can get one of the few who are available.

Next step is someone who may not be known but through his play we could market and advertise but this club fail in those regards to advertise and market.

I simply don't think we can get a marquee worthy of bringing the extra numbers needed to the club.

WSW crowd has very little to do with Ono.

I think we need a crowd puller but I don't think we can get one of the few who are available.

Next step is someone who may not be known but through his play we could market and advertise but this club fail in those regards to advertise and market.

I simply don't think we can get a marquee worthy of bringing the extra numbers needed to the club.

Why would anyone of any stature want to come to Melbourne Heart at this particular juncture? One look at our appalling away record would be enough to put anyone off.

The best we can hope for is someone of quality whose career is faltering for whatever reason and is prepared to give Australia a go.

http://m.442.com.au/News/Article.aspx?CIID=335303

So many O/S Aussies wasting away....

Bring back BH and sign Neil Kilkenny, and Triosi as our marquee

To make signing with us more appealing in terms of the length of the season the club needs to come up with a way to keep the boys rolling on in the off season ....

Maybe a tournament or a tour to somewhere where it would be a big deal for an a league club to visit, like fiji and other under football developed countries who benefit from playing us.

Oceania would be ideal. And by playing us they may improve a little and give the kiwis a harder time in WC qualifiers

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon once a European player gets a taste of the Hollywood or New York lifestyle I don't see "downsizing" to Melbourne! Hence why Beckham would rather go to Paris and why (I think) Henry wouldn't want to come here.

However, I do see a European player going to the Middle East and then "upsize/upgrade/upscale" to Melbourne...Raul anyone?

Seriously, Raul is still the all time greatest goal scorer in the UEFA Champions League (well until Messi catches up; still 13 away after his two goals this morning) and he's currently playing in Qatar, I'm sure for a Spaniard he'd love the laid- back Aussie lifestyle!

I think for a Marquee to work in Australia's sporting landscape they have to be goal-scorers! It's what fence-sitters and bandwagoners have come to expect and would pay money to go see! Del Piero, Totti, Raul - they're all BIG names who can score goals!

According to transfermarkt.co.uk Raul Gonzalez Blanco is worth 1,000,000. Why wouldn't he take AUD$1,000,000 - $1,250,000 to play at Melbourne Heart in 2013/14?

• Like 1

I agree with distance being an issue. I guess that's why our salary is also referred to as compensation. Maybe we can give Raul a little more 'compensation' for his travels.

One name that just came to mind who'd be a little closer to home and might have the "Ono" factor is Alessandro Santos, most commonly referred to as Alex. For those who don't know of him, he's a Brazilian born Japanese player who played for Japan in the 2006 World Cup. He's now 35 and plays in the J-League 2 division. Not much of a "Marquee" status player any more though...

I reckon once a European player gets a taste of the Hollywood or New York lifestyle I don't see "downsizing" to Melbourne! Hence why Beckham would rather go to Paris and why (I think) Henry wouldn't want to come here.

However, I do see a European player going to the Middle East and then "upsize/upgrade/upscale" to Melbourne...Raul anyone?

Seriously, Raul is still the all time greatest goal scorer in the UEFA Champions League (well until Messi catches up; still 13 away after his two goals this morning) and he's currently playing in Qatar, I'm sure for a Spaniard he'd love the laid- back Aussie lifestyle!

I think for a Marquee to work in Australia's sporting landscape they have to be goal-scorers! It's what fence-sitters and bandwagoners have come to expect and would pay money to go see! Del Piero, Totti, Raul - they're all BIG names who can score goals!

According to transfermarkt.co.uk Raul Gonzalez Blanco is worth 1,000,000. Why wouldn't he take AUD$1,000,000 - $1,250,000 to play at Melbourne Heart in 2013/14?

+999

As I've said before in this thread, Raul is a perfect marquee in practically every way:

-big name and pretty much equals Del Piero's ledgendariness (which will help get us out of victory's shadow)

-still a great player who, as you said is a striker (not a dm/cb or something)

-not still gunning for World Cup selection, isn't interested in playing in Europe anymore

-OUT OF CONTRACT IN A FEW MONTHS!!!

I seriously can't think of a single reason why we can't go after him or why he wouldn't come here.  As for the distance, this is the 21st century - spain is a phonecall or skype sess away, not a 3 month boat trip...

Is there an effective way we can contact the club to get them on to this?