Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Priority atm should be signing up Garcia for next year, then Kalmar, then Williams, but i agree a player like Carle would be good for us, i think Fred is nearly finished, but might be able to play one more year like he is now (off the bench).

Fox website mentions that Corey Gameiro is linked with a Melbourne or Sydney team and we have been linked to him in the past, Fulham player on loan at Wellington atm, scored 6 goals for Australias U20's so far so he might be on the radar? not really a marquee type though.

Have wanted Gameiro for a while now, would be over the moon if he came to us.

• Like 1

Priority atm should be signing up Garcia for next year, then Kalmar, then Williams, but i agree a player like Carle would be good for us, i think Fred is nearly finished, but might be able to play one more year like he is now (off the bench).

Fox website mentions that Corey Gameiro is linked with a Melbourne or Sydney team and we have been linked to him in the past, Fulham player on loan at Wellington atm, scored 6 goals for Australias U20's so far so he might be on the radar? not really a marquee type though.

Williams is already signed for next season - he's on a three-year contract of which next year is the last.

Raul

YES Raul! I believe his contract runs out this season and he's pretty attainable, unlike lampard.

good shout i reckon, we probably won't be able to pay as well as the Qataris but you'd think he will prefer the lifestyle here.

And with this coming from the terraces he should feel right at home.

Nakamura or Endo would be unreal to be honest. Would draw a massive market too here in Melbourne. Would not be against it.

The whole Marquee signing thing is going to be hard as the article suggests. Who is going to come? My personal choice would have been Ronaldinho as he is probably my all time favourite to watch and would be an absolute beast in this league. That though unless a guest stint, seems impossible.

Any Marquee we get I want embedded into our history, so a minimum of two years at our club is needed. Beckham is free in 6 months, do we go back to the well?

I am focused on other foundations of gaining support, but there is no doubt, Melburnians love a buzz (in more ways than one) so a big name would sell out stadiums if marketed right.

It's all interesting to me.

The issue is as it states in that article, they do not have the pulling power somebody like Del Piero has.

I completely agree, but there are not many players who have the ADP effect on the A-League.

Also, the Ono-experiement at WSW has shown that if the marquee brings the quality on the field, then the initial 'star power' would not be as important.

Are people underestimating the Asian community we have here in Melbourne?

I know it's made up of Chinese, Vietnamese and Japanese etc, but surely a player of that regard will be a massive draw card for that community which going on stats, is one of the biggest in our fair city. The opportunities if Marketed right, could be endless.

A club wearing Red and White also helps I would of thought. I don't know if we could get a Beckham, Ronaldinho or Totti who would bring that level ADP has, but surely there is a massive market here for us to target. Also, as people have said, the level on field these guys bring would be of high standard.

Not saying its a possibility or we definitely should, but surely their impact can't be downplayed in terms of drawing a crowd? Being from a corporate background myself, I know the business opportunities this would bring for the club, especially now Free to Air is coming would be astronomical. Getting a player from our closest neighbors allows opportunities to share business with less travel and being from the same confederation would enhance opportunities.

Ono has proven invaluable on the field and his name is up in lights, no doubt here in Melbourne this would triple, with the significant Asian community, and the fact we wear Red. It's something that should be considered as well as others in my opinion.

I don't love Karagounis. I love Raul, Klose, Seedorf and Charisteas (though the latter just signed a 1.5year deal with Al Nassr, Saudi Arabia).

There's NOOOOOO chance whatsoever that we'll be seeing Ronaldinho or Lampard at Heart, both want to play for their countries in the 2014 World Cup so will probably not leave their countries until the after the end of the 2013/14 season.

Raul to me sounds like our best bet at the moment and is probably the most renowned 'marquee' out of the lot! It's a no-brainer!

Pirlo or Totti would be nice, but fat chance!

not understimating it at all. We do have a large asian community in melbourne, but how many of those are football fans and would be interested in coming back every week to watch heart with an asian marquee player?

As i see it, the main reason ADP has gotten big crowds is simply the fact that he is italian. Let's be honest, football in melbourne and australia has mainly been developed and followed by greeks and italians, and other european nationalities (croatian, serbian etc...). South Melbourne is probably the most relevent example. As far as i know, there isn't an asian based football team in melbourne thas has had the type of following that these other ex-NSL teams have had. So it does make you think, despite the large asian community we have, is the interest there? What statistics do we have to prove that there is interest?

It'll be interesting to compare the crowd from Del Piero's match against us with when Ono comes in a couple of weeks time, which should give us a better indication.

As far as statistics go, we know that Del Piero gave us our biggest non-derby crowd in our history of just under 14,000.

Italy vs Australia friendly in 2000 at the MCG had a crowd of 93,000

Greece vs Australia friendly at the MCG in 2006 had a crowd of 95,000

So in terms of interest in football, statistics show that a big name italian or greek player would see us achieve the highest crowds.

• Like 2

not understimating it at all. We do have a large asian community in melbourne, but how many of those are football fans and would be interested in coming back every week to watch heart with an asian marquee player?

As i see it, the main reason ADP has gotten big crowds is simply the fact that he is italian. Let's be honest, football in melbourne and australia has mainly been developed and followed by greeks and italians, and other european nationalities (croatian, serbian etc...). South Melbourne is probably the most relevent example. As far as i know, there isn't an asian based football team in melbourne thas has had the type of following that these other ex-NSL teams have had. So it does make you think, despite the large asian community we have, is the interest there? What statistics do we have to prove that there is interest?

It'll be interesting to compare the crowd from Del Piero's match against us with when Ono comes in a couple of weeks time, which should give us a better indication.

As far as statistics go, we know that Del Piero gave us our biggest non-derby crowd in our history of just under 14,000.

Italy vs Australia friendly in 2000 at the MCG had a crowd of 93,000

Greece vs Australia friendly at the MCG in 2006 had a crowd of 95,000

So in terms of interest in football, statistics show that a big name italian or greek player would see us achieve the highest crowds.

Well said. I can see where you are coming from, but would a Greek player attract the Greek community to our club?

Most I know, and I know a heap are South Melbourne fans who cannot get into the A League. Or won't. You would know more than I so I am just trying to get some perspective here. Have the Asian community been targeted at all for it to be fair to say they won't be passionate fans who won't come and support the game?

A lot of questions, one thing for sure, the club has to get it right.

Most value for the club would be someone famous for their time in the EPL, which is without doubt the most well known comp to Aussies, OR someone with genuine World Cup pedigree.

We need someone who has shown great loyalty to their past club(s) and someone who is getting to a stage where they are not going to be able to continue at the highest level. They probably will need to have retired from international football, or have no chance of playing in the World Cup.

Giggs, Scholes, Totti, Drogba, Henry, Forlan, Djibril Cisse, Anelka, John Terry, Klose, Dirk Kuyt, Gattuso, just to name a few...

What about someone like Jamie Carragher??

Bit of an odd one since he ain't an attacking marquee like the usual, but he's already has announced his retirement at seasons end and i think he'd pull in the crowds and would be still quality on the park.

Loyal to his club and a club great at Liverpool

• Like 1

I'd really like JA to use his Spanish connections and knowledge and pick up a ball playing midfielder from Spain. There's some great talent there and little money to pay them outside the big Madrid clubs, Barca and Malaga. Alternatively someone like Gennaro Gattuso would be a real asset to the team.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

' timestamp='1361858460' post='89445']

Most value for the club would be someone famous for their time in the EPL, which is without doubt the most well known comp to Aussies, OR someone with genuine World Cup pedigree.

We need someone who has shown great loyalty to their past club(s) and someone who is getting to a stage where they are not going to be able to continue at the highest level. They probably will need to have retired from international football, or have no chance of playing in the World Cup.

Giggs, Scholes, Totti, Drogba, Henry, Forlan, Djibril Cisse, Anelka, John Terry, Klose, Dirk Kuyt, Gattuso, just to name a few...

What about someone like Jamie Carragher??

Bit of an odd one since he ain't an attacking marquee like the usual, but he's already has announced his retirement at seasons end and i think he'd pull in the crowds and would be still quality on the park.

Loyal to his club and a club great at Liverpool

Carra would be highly unlikely, i think he gave everything to Liverpool and wanted to be his only club

Also his son is in the under 14s academy at melwood. So cant see him pulling him out of that to travel half way across the world

• Like 1

IMO you can write off most South Americans because they would go and play in Argentina/Brazil or even Chile before they would consider Australia. Same for European-based Asian players like JS Park, once QPR get relegated he would be back at the K-League before you can say marquee.

Stars from the big four European leagues are the biggest chance, they would have pretty much accept that their time at the top level is over and started looking at opportunities elsewhere to prolong their career, which is where we come in to compete against the Middle East, China, Korea and Japan.

there's been quite a few suggestions here of players who are contracted for next season or are keen on an extension in europe... remember, they need to be free agents!

so far I reckon the best contenders that will be free at season's end (and aren't looking for an extension), have biiig pulling power, aren't out of our reach, and as kitsoasis said, unless we're lucky aren't sth american/asian (yeah, i regret mentioning JS Park) are Raul and if not him, then Owen. Some of the others would still be good, but wouldn't pull in the numbers as much.

If the board want guaranteed bums on seats look no further than Lê Công Vinh, the Vietnamese Michael Owen or Ricky Diaco.....who cares. There's more Nyugen's in the Melbourne White Pages than there are Smith's. He can't be any worse than the Hoff, and if you google his name there's pictures of him with some big fuck off type trophies, that can't be bad.

lcv.jpg

• Like 2