Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Anyone who calls Samaras' effort a dive needs their head checked. Defender clips his shooting leg sending it into the back of his other foot tripping him up and denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Pen every day of the week IMO.

Samaras pulled his leg back too shot and happen to hit the defenders leg who was just standing there causing him to fal, no dive but not a pen either

Who cares, Samaras looks like a dirty hippy and plays for a shit football club

As opposed to that other football club who played against park sides of NPL Quality last Season. :up:

In saying I dont want Samaras - He would be too inconsistent even at A-League level.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

I think we can safely assume that our Australian Marquee player will be someone who has not played in this World Cup.

Kennedy fits that bill.

- He's from Victoria (Wodonga)

- His wife is in Melbourne

- We've seen him at Melbourne Heart games

- His last game for Nagoya is on Dec 6th.

- Give him a week off and he could play his first game for us at the Melbourne Derby on December 20th!

Imagine subbing off David Villa in his last game at the Melbourne Derby for Josh Kennedy; David Villa gets his big send-off (after scoring a brace) as it will be his last game for us and Josh Kennedy gets his big introduction...and scores to put us 5-1 up!

Fairytale waiting to happen  :wub:

I think we can safely assume that our Australian Marquee player will be someone who has not played in this World Cup.

Kennedy fits that bill.

- Give him a week off and he could play his first game for us at the Melbourne Derby on December 20th!

Imagine subbing off David Villa in his last game at the Melbourne Derby for Josh Kennedy; David Villa gets his big send-off (after scoring a brace) as it will be his last game for us and Josh Kennedy gets his big introduction...and scores to put us 5-1 up!

Are you still convinced David Villa will be playing 10 games?

Kennedy fits that bill.

Why have we only scored 5?

Kennedy fits that bill.

Fairytale waiting to happen :wub:

Why have we only scored 5?

Hoffman was rested.

• Like 4

Who cares, Samaras looks like a dirty hippy and plays for a shit football club

As opposed to that other football club who played against park sides of NPL Quality last Season. :up:

In saying I dont want Samaras - He would be too inconsistent even at A-League level. :D

When listening to this podcast about Duff moving to Melbourne City, I happened to hear a journalist of an Irish football magazine (who seemed to know his stuff about Australian football) mention a rumour that Totti is a target of Melbourne City (here , about 13 minutes in).

Whilst this rumour could easily be doubted, I also think it's not a crazy idea because:

- Like with Forlan, Totti is a player who has been linked with an A-League move recently, with Brisbane Roar being linked with him earlier this year

- Ghadir Razuki did say earlier this month that "they're chasing serious quality for marquees. No names mentioned suffice 2say they'll be household."

- Villa and all the marquees seriously linked with moves to Man City's new clubs are all big names: Villa signing with NYCFC (and him being loaned to us), Xavi being seriously linked with NYCFC, and Lampard is linked with them also, and we know that Melbourne City have been seriously interested in signing Lampard as well (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/01/frank-lampard-sheikh-mansour-new-york-city)

- The large proportion of Italian Australians in Melbourne, and the fact that JVS is fluent in Italian

So although I'm not betting on this move happening, perhaps the club has seriously targeted Totti in the same way that it seriously targeted Lampard. And just that fact that our club perhaps sounded out Francesco Totti about a move to the A-League is an interesting development in itself.

And as for Totti actually moving to Melbourne, as a Brisbane Roar boss said earlier this year about Totti possibly joining the A-League, "you never know what will happen in football".

• Like 1

Totti would be an outstanding marquee although admittedly he is on his last legs. 

I'd imagine we'd get 2 seasons out of him in a very similar role to how ADP was used at Sydney FC, would probably prefer Lampard though as he's still extremely fit.

I honestly can't see Totti leaving Roma to play for another club. You'd struggle to find a man in modern football who is as loyal as Totti. The bloke owns almost every record for Roma. I think in his contract it states when he retires that he'll take up a coaching role for Roma. We'd have a better chance signing Gerrard away from Liverpool.

• Like 1

Disappointing, however not entirely surprising. Even with the money we have it is still going to take a lot of convincing to have these sort of players come to Australia.

Why couldn't they have signed Lampard for Melbourne City and at the end of our season he gets loaned out to NYCFC?

I understand these boys come from europe where they play long seasons

but how many games do you expect them to play

Lampard a full season with Melb City (27 games) and then a season in the MLS come on man we don't want to run the guy into the ground

hence why I think Villa will play maybe 5 games with us, I don't see how he will play 10 games then jet off to the states and straight away begin pre season and follow it up with 28 weeks of football so all in all he will be playing competitive football from october to september the following year, just don't see how this is going to happen.

I honestly can't see Totti leaving Roma to play for another club. You'd struggle to find a man in modern football who is as loyal as Totti. The bloke owns almost every record for Roma. I think in his contract it states when he retires that he'll take up a coaching role for Roma. We'd have a better chance signing Gerrard away from Liverpool.

or like ADP leaving Juventus?

or like ADP leaving Juventus?

Would you have him on Marquee though?

Disappointing, however not entirely surprising. Even with the money we have it is still going to take a lot of convincing to have these sort of players come to Australia.

That might explain why when difficulties/problems emerged regarding Xavi's move to Qatar (probably to the Al Arabi club in particular) that when Xavi reportedly tried to reopen discussions with Man City boss Soriano that he was turned down:

According to Spanish sports daily, AS, the 34-year-old’s move is now in question as final details threaten to derail the entire deal, so much so that Xavi asked Manchester City CEO, Ferran Soriano to reopen negotiations to join New York City FC.

However, after being turned down by the gifted midfielder in their initial negotiations, Soriano rejected the chance to reopen negotiations, for fear that Xavi will leave again if the Al-Arabi deal finally goes through.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/113589/xavis-move-to-qatar-reaches-an-impass/

I reckon a deal between Lampard and NYCFC is done, and NYCFC probably don't need & want 2 marquee midfielders (and as reported above, it's probably fair enough for Soriano to doubt the genuineness of Xavi's interest in a New York move).

Just on the latest with Xavi, these helpful updates from respected Barcelona news twitter account BarcaStuff seems to accurately report the recent developments with Xavi:

Qatari officials have last-minute doubts about signing Barcelona midfielder Xavi (34). He also has offers from American teams. [md]

https://twitter.com/barcastuff/status/481417838834749440

Man United have sounded out Barcelona midfielder Xavi (34), but the player, who will leave, wants to join a less high-profile club. [md]

https://twitter.com/barcastuff/status/481342280679583744

After Al Arabi withdrew offer, Xavi now holds talks with Qatari club El Jaish. If no deal, New York City could again be an option. [marca]

https://twitter.com/barcastuff/status/481795208687144960

So whilst I don't think Xavi moving to NYCFC is likely, and I think unfortunately a deal between Lampard and NYCFC is probably done, Xavi moving to NYCFC isn't an impossibility. Still, Qatar seems the more likely move for multiple reasons, not least because I read that the Qatar government and multiple Qatari bigwigs seem to be trying to orchestrate Xavi's move to Qatar, so the particular club isn't so important, and these Qatari bigwigs seem to have connections with Barcelona FC, with Barcelona having very lucrative sponsorships with organisations at least in part run by the Qatari government such as the Qatar Founation and Qatar Airways, which all makes Xavi moving to Qatar more plausible.

Even if the dominoes of Xavi, Lampard and NYCFC don't fall in our favour, it's still interesting to see that Xavi, who is considered by many to be the heart and soul of Barcelona, and is contracted to the club for 2 more whole seasons, is certain to leave Barcelona, maybe in the next week or two, if not in the next few days. Just as with Lampard leaving Chelsea to the surprise of many, and ADP leaving Juventus, big players can rather surprisingly leave big clubs they have played at for years and years, and it seems increasingly commonplace for these players to move to the likes of America, Asia and Australia.    

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

That might explain why when difficulties/problems emerged regarding Xavi's move to Qatar (probably to the Al Arabi club in particular) that when Xavi reportedly tried to reopen discussions with Man City boss Soriano that he was turned down:

According to Spanish sports daily, AS, the 34-year-old’s move is now in question as final details threaten to derail the entire deal, so much so that Xavi asked Manchester City CEO, Ferran Soriano to reopen negotiations to join New York City FC.

However, after being turned down by the gifted midfielder in their initial negotiations, Soriano rejected the chance to reopen negotiations, for fear that Xavi will leave again if the Al-Arabi deal finally goes through.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/113589/xavis-move-to-qatar-reaches-an-impass/

I reckon a deal between Lampard and NYCFC is done, and NYCFC probably don't need & want 2 marquee midfielders (and as reported above, it's probably fair enough for Soriano to doubt the genuineness of Xavi's interest in a New York move).

Just on the latest with Xavi, these helpful updates from respected Barcelona news twitter account BarcaStuff seems to accurately report the recent developments with Xavi:

Qatari officials have last-minute doubts about signing Barcelona midfielder Xavi (34). He also has offers from American teams. [md]

https://twitter.com/barcastuff/status/481417838834749440

Man United have sounded out Barcelona midfielder Xavi (34), but the player, who will leave, wants to join a less high-profile club. [md]

https://twitter.com/barcastuff/status/481342280679583744

After Al Arabi withdrew offer, Xavi now holds talks with Qatari club El Jaish. If no deal, New York City could again be an option. [marca]

https://twitter.com/barcastuff/status/481795208687144960

So whilst I don't think Xavi moving to NYCFC is likely, and I think unfortunately a deal between Lampard and NYCFC is probably done, Xavi moving to NYCFC isn't an impossibility. Still, Qatar seems the more likely move for multiple reasons, not least because I read that the Qatar government and multiple Qatari bigwigs seem to be trying to orchestrate Xavi's move to Qatar, so the particular club isn't so important, and these Qatari bigwigs seem to have connections with Barcelona FC, with Barcelona having very lucrative sponsorships with organisations at least in part run by the Qatari government such as the Qatar Founation and Qatar Airways, which all makes Xavi moving to Qatar more plausible.

Even if the dominoes of Xavi, Lampard and NYCFC don't fall in our favour, it's still interesting to see that Xavi, who is considered by many to be the heart and soul of Barcelona, and is contracted to the club for 2 more whole seasons, is certain to leave Barcelona, maybe in the next week or two, if not in the next few days. Just as with Lampard leaving Chelsea to the surprise of many, and ADP leaving Juventus, big players can rather surprisingly leave big clubs they have played at for years and years, and it seems increasingly commonplace for these players to move to the likes of America, Asia and Australia.    

I'm purely talking about Australia though, we got lucky with ADP, however the likeliness of more of ADP caliber playing in the a league is quite small purely because while we play in summer and have nice country to visit we are still so far from everything