Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Harry Kewell represents a shrewd investment by Heart's board and recruitment team however it also forsakes the morals this club was supposedly built on, and other things such as our integrity as a club as we almost seem hellbent on acquiring our biggest and only rivals ex players at a cut price.

The circus comes to town and leaves..

Id have happily seen our club spend the $100,000 that it will this year on Kewell and Hoffman on topping up Garcia on a 2y/d with the incentive of captaincy. There is no risk in this, as opposed to signing a 34 year old desperate has been. People who think Kewell signed purely on his desire to play football are also deluded. Kewell took minimal wages with us so he could play football one last time and thus entertain his massive pipe dream of playing for Aus at another World Cup. The truth is, no one else wanted him, even after he whored his ass to numerous UK clubs, even in the 2nd div, no one wanted him. He is the phrase of damaged goods personified.

In before someone is a cheeky kunt and says he got an offer from Newy

1) he would never play for Newy as it doesn't suit his rock and roll lifestyle

2) Newcastle's recruitment policy has always been dubious

3) No hard evidence was presented of them offering him a deal.

Fuck off Kewell, I'll boo you until my throat bleeds.

• Like 1

The club should be throwing everything they can for Marco Bresciano 
The past 2 games for Australia's  WCQ he has destroyed it
So many kids have been talking about him at my school (even people i didn't think had an interest in soccer)
he has proved that he still is a good player and with out a doubt i rate him to be one of the best socceroos

Yeah, 'cause the word of the CEO is not enough 'evidence' that they offered him a deal...

The Jets confirm they have been in talks with Kewell since February but a move will not take place. 

"Harry’s credentials speak for themselves and we were obviously interested in discussing the possibility of him joining the Jets," chief executive Robbie Middleby said.

"Negotiations progressed to an offer, but unfortunately Harry deemed it to be unsuitable for him and his family.

Dig yourself out of this one, pal...

• Like 2

HeartFc gone best news I've heard all day. Almost rather that than a Socceroos win tonight.....I said almost.

Tonight? You won't find out till next week... Or have you upgraded the pigeon mail to morse code?

Ahhh 7.30 tonight vs Iraq.....anyway thought you were gone!!

I was gonna leave but I got a sudden influx of inbox messages from forum members pleading for me to stay.

HeartFc gone best news I've heard all day. Almost rather that than a Socceroos win tonight.....I said almost.

Tonight? You won't find out till next week... Or have you upgraded the pigeon mail to morse code? Ahhh 7.30 tonight vs Iraq.....anyway thought you were gone!! I was gonna leave but I got a sudden influx of inbox messages from forum members pleading for me to stay.

You've got no idea how upset I would've been if you had left :(

Harry Kewell represents a shrewd investment by Heart's board and recruitment team however it also forsakes the morals this club was supposedly built on, and other things such as our integrity as a club as we almost seem hellbent on acquiring our biggest and only rivals ex players at a cut price.

Id have happily seen our club spend the $100,000 that it will this year on Kewell and Hoffman on topping up Garcia on a 2y/d with the incentive of captaincy. There is no risk in this, as opposed to signing a 34 year old desperate has been. People who think Kewell signed purely on his desire to play football are also deluded. Kewell took minimal wages with us so he could play football one last time and thus entertain his massive pipe dream of playing for Aus at another World Cup. The truth is, no one else wanted him, even after he whored his ass to numerous UK clubs, even in the 2nd div, no one wanted him. He is the phrase of damaged goods personified.

Poor attitude... you don't have to agree with Kewell joining the club, but booing your own club's player is pretty bad.

• Like 2

Tonight? You won't find out till next week... Or have you upgraded the pigeon mail to morse code? Ahhh 7.30 tonight vs Iraq.....anyway thought you were gone!! I was gonna leave but I got a sudden influx of inbox messages from forum members pleading for me to stay.

You've got no idea how upset I would've been if you had left :(

I got a pretty good idea.

Anyway back to the topic of discussion #fuckoffheart

Give him a chance mate, if he ends up playing like shit and carrying on like a fucktard everyone will join in booing him.

I couldn't care what he has done previously, what he has said and done, all i care about is him getting on the field and playing well.

We get it. You hate him. Can you just put the above in your sig to save us going over old ground?

I don't disagree, however of the two fred is the worse in this regard. Signed for a lot more money than Kewell after being a star at Victory and was made captain. Kewell isn't even signed on as our marquee.

People who think Kewell signed purely on his desire to play football are also deluded. Kewell took minimal wages with us so he could play football one last time and thus entertain his massive pipe dream of playing for Aus at another World Cup.

Of course he wants to play in another World Cup. Who wouldn't? There are hundreds of 30 something players out there hanging in there for one last crack. Just read this thread. Half the marquee's wouldn't be interested in us apparently because its a world cup year. How is the fact that Kewell wants to play in arguably the biggest regular sporting event in the world and will play at our club to try and earn his spot a negative? And which other realsitic world cup hopeful will sign for minimum wages?

And then you argue the following...

Id have happily seen our club spend the $100,000 that it will this year on Kewell and Hoffman on topping up Garcia on a 2y/d with the incentive of captaincy. There is no risk in this, as opposed to signing a 34 year old desperate has been.

Is this the same Garcia who is so committed to us by his desire to purely play football that he is yet to sign? Despite almost definitely being offered as much as any other player in the squad? Despite almost certainly going to be our captain? Despite having a supporter group that loves him? I seem to recall him signing for us hoping to play well enough for an Asian club to come calling for him halfway into the season. And I'm sure if/when he does sign for us there'll be mention of him pushing himself to make the World Cup squad. What's the sticking point for him? Maybe if he, unlike Kewell, is so hellbent on playing football for this club instead of just for selfish personal reasons like a World Cup he will decide that money isn't the issue and sign for the more than reasonable offer we are sure to be offering him. Or maybe he could go a step further and sign for the same money as left back of the century Jason Hoffman, like that greedy selfish pig Harry Kewell.

Well, we certainly need a striker, but whoever that striker is, I just can't see us going anywhere if we don't add an absolute class midfielder. We're looking at Kalmar, Murdocca and Germano at the moment, with support from Hoffmann. That's nowhere near good enough. Gerhadt might help, but we don't know where he'll be playing yet. Maybe Kewell, but I don't think it's his best position. Unless I'm missing someone, we've lost Fred, Thompson and Garcia at the moment, and so far only replaced them with Murdocca and Mauk. It looks really thin to me. Kalmar is due for a breakout season, but if he doesn't have at least one top class midfielder somewhere in the mix to help, I think it will make it really hard for him to progress.

Marquee signing falls through, Hoffman takes marquees place as striker, Hoffman blossoms in his rightful position and scores 20+ goals in the aleague and not only makes the team for Brazil 2014 World Cup but is also begged to captain the Australian team for his leadership skills. He makes such an impact in the World Cup scoring goal after goal that shortly following the cup he is signed up by Real Madrid for $100million contract.

Remember where you first read it guys...

• Like 1

Personally I think a fit Kewell behind a Marquee Striker could do some major  damage as our Attacking Midfielder.

He certainly has the experience. 

And i think that our style of play, more so the style of play Aloisi wants us to play is similar to the way Australia played last night, which would help HK heaps getting back into the National team. 

If the cloud of his past is what people are looking at. Then they should take everything from his past into account, not just the low points. His highs and his lows. I dare say that his highs outweigh his lows. 

You can play down how big this signing is for us... but it really is a big deal.

Love him or hate him, this is big for our clubs short history. And we have a knack for turning mediocre players from other teams into decent contributors to the club.

I, for one, can't wait till this season start. Bring it on.

Marquee signing falls through, Hoffman takes marquees place as striker, Hoffman blossoms in his rightful position and scores 20+ goals in the aleague and not only makes the team for Brazil 2014 World Cup but is also begged to captain the Australian team for his leadership skills. He makes such an impact in the World Cup scoring goal after goal that shortly following the cup he is signed up by Real Madrid for $100million contract.

Remember where you first read it guys...

not sure if srs.

You're a few months too late, lol. April 1st has already past. lol

Poor attitude... you don't have to agree with Kewell joining the club, but booing your own club's player is pretty bad.

how is that bad?

How is booing your own players bad?

Well done Einstein.

not sure what Mr Einstein has to do with this I was inferring that you were of a lesser intellect, given that you couldn't comprehend why booing your own players wouldn't be a bad thing.

Christ I get annoyed by the lack of respect shown to this club. Do most of you even like us? All most people seem to do here is bitch and moan. Get around us for once FFS. No matter what you think, Kewell is the biggest signing in our history!!! Yet it's still poo-pa'd by most people. It's actually a fucking joke.

• Like 5

I've heard of some VPL players getting $600 per game, cash.

Harry on $50 k before tax for 27 games is bargain basement and I'm amazed we got him for that. And when you think of the dollars Fred, Thompson and Colosimo were on, there is no downside to this.

His motivation being a World Cup ticket is irrelevant.  In fact its a bonus: he''l be busting a gut to get in.

Even if he wins 5 more games for us than last season  that's a final place shorn up.

I have to admit I was less than impressed when I first heard Heart was attempting to sign Kewell and subsequently did sign him, mainly for the reasons that have already been posted on this forum.  His history of reported ego, narcissism and personal agenda at the expense of the club were all character traits I thought could undermine Heart’s capacity to build a strong footballing team and club culture.  In some ways I still hold concern over this.

Having said that however, Kewell does bring some positives with which I can’t argue.  He has brought media and fan attention to a club that needs it, has signed on minimum wage, brings with him top-level football experience and has a strong will to compete, something that was particularly lacking on-field last season.  Whilst not at his peak, a proper pre-season could see him add value on the park, and that’s the key term for me value.

As long as he contributes positively on and off the pitch and puts the Heart cause ahead of his own I will have no reason to hold onto any of my pre-conceived concerns, because over the last few weeks I’ve come to accept that my personal views and emotions of Kewell are inconsequential compared to the success of this football club.

Besides, the fact that the visitors are upset at Heart signing Kewell and at minimum wage to boot, does endear Kewell to me a little more.  I don’t usually engage in 'schadenfreude', but I’ll make an exception when it comes to the visitors.  :D 

Edited by Semper Cor
  • Like 1

How is booing your own players bad?

Well done Einstein.

not sure what Mr Einstein has to do with this I was inferring that you were of a lesser intellect, given that you couldn't comprehend why booing your own players wouldn't be a bad thing.

Christ I get annoyed by the lack of respect shown to this club. Do most of you even like us? All most people seem to do here is bitch and moan. Get around us for once FFS. No matter what you think, Kewell is the biggest signing in our history!!! Yet it's still poo-pa'd by most people. It's actually a fucking joke.

wow really? didn't know that! thought you wanted to sign the bloke L O L LOL

anyway i have paid membership if i don't like something or someone i can voice my opinion, in this case booing a cunt

• Like 1