Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

wouldn't be worried if 2 of our central midfielders were Ambrosini and Murdocca, with Gerhardt and Wielaert behind them

one things for sure we wouldn't cop many goals, that's half the job done IMO

all it would take is a moment of magic from Kewell up front feeding mebrahtu/dugandzic and we'll walk away 1-0 or 2-0 winners

I certainly wouldn't be complaining

I'd prefer Holt over Ambrosini. Neither of them are huge names (compared to ADP) but Holt will draw larger crowds, sign up more members and sell more shirts due to the fact that he is a goal scorer. To a lot of people  this won't matter but I think that the off-field impact of marquee is important as well. I also think that we are in greater need of a prolific goalscorer (which we have lacked since the inception of the club). With that said however, I would be rapt with either of them.

wouldn't be worried if 2 of our central midfielders were Ambrosini and Murdocca, with Gerhardt and Wielaert behind them

one things for sure we wouldn't cop many goals, that's half the job done IMO

all it would take is a moment of magic from Kewell up front feeding mebrahtu/dugandzic and we'll walk away 1-0 or 2-0 winners

I certainly wouldn't be complaining

Completely agree. Our defence would be immense if we had Ambrosini and Murdocca as DMs, with Gerhardt and Wielaert behind them. And I'd really appreciate a season where Heart concedes next to no stupid or unnecessary goals.

Also, with the likes of Kewell, Mebrahtu, Dugandzic, Williams and hopefully a striker as good or better than Tadic up front, we would be able to find goals after Ambrosini and Murdocca/Germano provide quality service.

If you told me in February that Heart was seriously being associated with the long time captain of AC Milan and Norwich's goal scoring captain, I would have thought you were nuts. Very satisfied with the moves Heart is making heading into next season. Either of those players would be incredible for Heart. 

Edited by Murfy1

Can someone who follows Italian football or Aussie/Italian culture tell me if Ambrosini would be an attractive signing on the personality side of things (eg. Popular with all supporters, not just AC Milan)

hes got anger on the field but it stops about there.

im sure hes no Seedorf or Ancelotti, but he is known for helping young players through the club. 

would be a good signing, the ultimate DM. - amazing tackles, headers, work rate, and plays the easy ball always. 

downfalls include that he rarely scores, such is his emphasis on defending.

would be a bit worried if it was the two Mas' as our CM's - lack of goals from midfield. 

all up, would be a great singing for the club, but i would have to question whether we would need Murdocca IF we do get Ambro. 

Thanks Nicotera

• Like 1

Can someone who follows Italian football or Aussie/Italian culture tell me if Ambrosini would be an attractive signing on the personality side of things (eg. Popular with all supporters, not just AC Milan)

hes got anger on the field but it stops about there.

im sure hes no Seedorf or Ancelotti, but he is known for helping young players through the club. 

would be a good signing, the ultimate DM. - amazing tackles, headers, work rate, and plays the easy ball always. 

downfalls include that he rarely scores, such is his emphasis on defending.

would be a bit worried if it was the two Mas' as our CM's - lack of goals from midfield. 

all up, would be a great singing for the club, but i would have to question whether we would need Murdocca IF we do get Ambro. 

This is an apt description of Ambrosini. Technically I would consider him to be a superior player to Holt . 

Totti is never going to play in the A-League. He will move into a coaching or Admin role at Roma.

This is an apt description of Ambrosini. Technically I would consider him to be a superior player to Holt . 

Totti is never going to play in the A-League. He will move into a coaching or Admin role at Roma.

I think Totti wants to retire a one club man, i mean, he rejected Real Madrid! FFS

he'll play 1-2 more years in Italy, and retire.

If a Norwich striker like Holt draws more people to games than a World Cup winner and AC Milan legend like Ambrosini then this country has big problems..

I don't think so. Every single Norwich game is broadcast here, yet no Serie A is. It's natural people will be more interested to see someone they have access to see play regularly. I'd be way more excited about Holt, personally.

We need an Australian marquee. The sort of player it will be common for many A League clubs to have as an Australian marquee in about 5 years time will be a regular Socceroo at the peak of their career like a Brett Holman. We should put this in motion now and go for Brett Holman as an Australian marquee. So open the purse strings. In addition, Brett Holman needs regular game time for the 2014 World Cup - assuming we get there.  

We need an Australian marquee. The sort of player it will be common for many A League clubs to have as an Australian marquee in about 5 years time will be a regular Socceroo at the peak of their career like a Brett Holman. We should put this in motion now and go for Brett Holman as an Australian marquee. So open the purse strings. In addition, Brett Holman needs regular game time for the 2014 World Cup - assuming we get there.

Didn't villa just pay a few million for him?

We have to get Holt now. Otherwise we can expect 5k crowds the whole season

We'll get more than 5k due to the Kewell factor but I agree, Karagounis is a huge coup for not only the Victards but for the entire A-League.

Thinking we need Holt or another EPL striker/attacking midfielder as a marquee if we're going to be competitive off the field this season.

* and by off the field, I mean crowd sizes.

Edited by Nate

We have to get Holt now. Otherwise we can expect 5k crowds the whole season

We'll do better than that.

In many ways it's the advent of MHFC that has pushed MV to do more than they would have otherwise done. The competition between the two clubs, and the competition between the two Sydney clubs, is going to drive the A-League to higher things. As does the competition between intra-city clubs the world over.

It was never going to be easy, and we're just going to have to meet the challenge.

But I agree, We're going to have to have a big foreign name this season to kick-start our growth.