Melbourne Football

Round 21, Friday February 15 MHFC vs Newcastle @ Hunter Stadium

Dylan

Another away game, another consistent performance from the team. We really must be the most popular visitors in the league, an easy 3 points for anyone. Streamed it from Malaga this morning, very disappointed, just the same old away performance from the players. :wub: On a brighter note, off to see Malaga CF v Athletic Bilbao tomorrow :)

Surely the away form is the fault of coaching staff for not getting them up and firing for away games? Its almost as if they are only inspired by the home crowd to win.

I think that the players have to take responsibility here. If the players need to be motivated to win by the coaching staff then it's time that they retire or play somewhere else.

As usual pretty poor performance

Redmayne needs to do better, that's the third goal he really should have stopped.

Walker it's the first time he had really been found out by Taggart (puzzles me why he doesn't play more)

Gerhardt and Colosimo both had poor moments but both made some very critical blocks. The needless yellow to PG hurts us

Coyne I thought was alright. He is only one who can play a good long ball into space in our back 4

Thompson and Germano were both shocking. Was one of them ever going to follow Caravella around for a bit. He killed us

Garcia was ok but he needs to work back better. When Galloway was bombing down the left why wasn't Garcia tracking back

Williams showed why he is most frustrating player at heart. Useless again, I keep thinking of that free kick that ended up in row B

Kalmar was ok but no where near last week

Babalj - I was ready to put my foot through the tv. Stop trying to be Ronaldo with your step overs and fucking pass the ball. He tries to beat defender after defender, and if he gets the slightest touch over he goes. Fucking stand up and stop whining

Of the bench players

Fred was alright, got some good minutes

Meeuwis I hardly noticed, but cut him some slack

GolGol I think is a victim of his good start, I think we expect a bit much of him.He didn't score for 28 games and he went bang 3 of 4. He was very average

Surely the away form is the fault of coaching staff for not getting them up and firing for away games? Its almost as if they are only inspired by the home crowd to win.

I think that the players have to take responsibility here. If the players need to be motivated to win by the coaching staff then it's time that they retire or play somewhere else.

If it were just one or two Id agree, but I think that it stretches beyond the players if its the whole team. Keep in mind weve had a number of different players through our side.

Its not as if our away grounds are cauldrons of fear or we're spending hours on a plane and in a different timezones.

Just watched the replay. In all seriousness I wonder if the white shirt with red sash is just psychologically associarted with failure. Every time it's put on we look like shit. Maybe try the third shirt away?? Try anything!!?? JA said midweek that they keep the same routine home and away. Obviously not working - time to change the away routine. We're already losing - only way is up!!

Just so poor coming out from the back. With Colossimo in you could see the midfielders just pushing up the park knowing he won't play out - a self fulfilling problem. Even Gerhardt was frustrated with no one presenting. Poor Kalmar, off a blinder last week, just had no service to do his work. Unfortunately Gerhardt out next week means we have more of the same rubbish at home. Why bother getting in DM playmakers if you just hoof the ball over their head?? Are they following instructions?? Going back to the fan forum I don't think so. Add to this both DMs had a shocker - not a great night. Also tactically badly outnumbered in midfield. JA needs to have a look at this. Too easily stifled in there.

Coyne was solid -again his fitness will come. We need to bottle Walkers enthusiasm and effort. He is young and makes mistakes, but if everyone had his endeavor we'd be flying. He really busts his guts.

And Eli, stand up and stop whining. It brings everyone down. Can't fault his talent and skill, just don't want to see him getting a reputation at such a young age.

• Like 2

Good turnout at the imp

Nope. It was dismal. Should have been chockers as there was no excuses not to be there. Seems quite hard to get our supporters to watch their own fucking team sometimes.

Find that pretty harsh.

Unfortunately I work Friday nights. I was stepping out of the shop to phone my dad for an update every 15 minutes.

Without working, I've got no money to afford a membership again for next season, petrol money to get to Epping for the reserves, or follow Heart away.

I know this is only one person, but to say there's no excuses is a bit OTT.

Good turnout at the imp

Nope. It was dismal. Should have been chockers as there was no excuses not to be there. Seems quite hard to get our supporters to watch their own fucking team sometimes.

And if you have Foxtel and would maybe like to watch the game with the sound up & not be in a noisy pub with overpriced booze???

Edited by MaliMate

If it were just one or two Id agree, but I think that it stretches beyond the players if its the whole team. Keep in mind weve had a number of different players through our side.

Its not as if our away grounds are cauldrons of fear or we're spending hours on a plane and in a different timezones.

So what are you expecting a coach to do differently?

Do you suspect that Aloisi and Foxe aren't motivating the players or are making tactical errors in all our away games? We aren't a team that is able to park the bus for 90 minutes to grind out a draw in away games, we just don't have the players for that approach.

Good turnout at the imp

And if you have Foxtel and would maybe like to watch the game with the sound up & not be in a noisy pub with overpriced booze???

Support groups are based around pub culture. It needs to be strengthened in our group and the only way to do that is getting people to pre-game, post-game and away matches at the pub.

Good turnout at the imp

Am I allowed to watch my own team at home?

No, nor can you wear replica strips. Or is that button up shirts? Or...

Yes, you can watch at home.

• Like 1

So what are you expecting a coach to do differently?

Do you suspect that Aloisi and Foxe aren't motivating the players or are making tactical errors in all our away games? We aren't a team that is able to park the bus for 90 minutes to grind out a draw in away games, we just don't have the players for that approach.

BG I don't think we know precisely what we expect the coaches to do differently. But IMO we are so bewildered by our dreadful away record this season that we think something should be done. ATM JA keeps emphasising that we prepare the same way whether the match is home or away. Well, for starters, try preparing differently. The first thing new coaches do when they join a club is make changes - Farina and Mulvey good examples. JA isn't new in that sense, but change the training routine or whatever. Next, drop those players who are out of form - and have been for months. Drop those players who are not applying the game plan - which JA has admitted is happening. Keep a winning team...we played quite well against Perth - albeit they are bottom - so why drop Vrankovic? Doing that just smacked of fear of Heskey. Kalmar scores from a free-kick against Perth so next game Williams takes the frees - doesn't make sense. Another thing is that JA is very diplomatic and middle-of-the road in his press conferences - I'd rather see him get angry and animated and show some bloody passion.

I suspect that the biggest issue we are dealing with here is that JA is failing to impose his will on the players. He made a ballsy decision on Bolton, and he needs to do the same with a few others.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Good turnout at the imp

Ok because I like to have a Diet Coke at half time if thats ok as well

Good turnout at the imp

That, you had better run past the forum. :)

Good turnout at the imp

That, you had better run past the forum. :)

Well done. Obviously you two go-getters aren't the fans I was talking about. Enjoy the couch :up:

• Like 3

I would love to go to the imp more personally, the only thing holding me back is when my mates working. Than at least one of us can drive home.

The best atmosphere i've ever seen there to be honest is when we played Perth in that finals games. Outside of that we don't get too many people down there