Melbourne Football

Round 21, Friday February 15 MHFC vs Newcastle @ Hunter Stadium

Dylan

These next two weeks are huge. If we cannot show that we can't win away from home we shouldn't be in the finals IMO

You're right, this is the big test. JA made is explicitly clear we need to win away from home and I think the players are well aware of the shite game against WSW. With the Jets down and Mayvis hopefully cleared by friday, if there was going to be a game to finally win away this would have to be it?

This is how I see it, considering Colosimo and Fred will start on the bench. I reckon Meeuwis will start on the field:

Redmayne

Walker - Gerhardt - Germano - Coyne

Meeuwis - Kalmar - Thompson

Garcia - - Williams

Babalj .

Bolton - Colosimo - Fred - Merbrahtu

I just don't understand how JA wants to play 4-3-3 with TWO defensive midfielers, can someone explain it to me?

The formation flashed on the screen against Victory was a 4-2-4 (or 4-2-2+2) formation, which makes more sense if you're going to play with two defensive mids.

So then wouldn't something like this suit better?

Redmayne

Walker - Gerhardt - Germano - Coyne

Meeuwis - Thompson

Garcia - Kalmar - Williams

Babalj

Bridges and Heskey start for Jets

By ROBERT DILLON

Feb. 13, 2013, 1:25 p.m.

JETS veteran Michael Bridges will start his first game in almost a year in Friday night’s crucial showdown with Melbourne Heart at Hunter Stadium.

Newcastle coach Gary van Egmond confirmed at Wednesday’s team announcement that he planned to pair Bridges up alongside fellow English import Emile Heskey.

The 34-year-old striker has made just eight appearances this year, all off the bench, with a longest stint of 32 minutes.

His last appearance in the starting line-up was on March 25 last year, when he scored a goal in Newcastle’s 3-2 loss to Sydney.

Van Egmond said Socceroos rookie Adam Taggart would also be promoted to the starting line-up, along with Taylor Regan and Dominik Ritter .

Bridges and Heskey start for Jets

By ROBERT DILLON

Feb. 13, 2013, 1:25 p.m.

JETS veteran Michael Bridges will start his first game in almost a year in Friday night’s crucial showdown with Melbourne Heart at Hunter Stadium.

Newcastle coach Gary van Egmond confirmed at Wednesday’s team announcement that he planned to pair Bridges up alongside fellow English import Emile Heskey.

The 34-year-old striker has made just eight appearances this year, all off the bench, with a longest stint of 32 minutes.

His last appearance in the starting line-up was on March 25 last year, when he scored a goal in Newcastle’s 3-2 loss to Sydney.

Van Egmond said Socceroos rookie Adam Taggart would also be promoted to the starting line-up, along with Taylor Regan and Dominik Ritter .

It's OK, smells of desperation from that miserable dog GvE :)

Redmayne

Walker - Gerhardt - Colosimo - Coyne

Germano - Thompson

Garcia - Kalmar - Williams

Babalj

Bolton - Meeuwis - Fred - Merbrahtu

I reckon this might be the way to go too. Unless they want to throw Meeuwis straight in. Given he hasn't played in a while and has just arrived, I'd probably give him about 30 minutes this week.

It's time. This should be the away win we've been waiting so long for. 2-1 I'll say.

Put Vranks on the bench instead of Fred. Surely we need a defender there?

If we had 5 on the bench, then sure. But the problem is, he'd only be there as injury cover for Gerhardt & Colosimo. He doesn't really add anything in terms of versatility. Should Colosimo get injured, I think we'll just have to move Coyne, who I think can play across the back. And as good as Kalmar was last week, it's only one game. It's yet to be seen if he can back it up, or put in an effort like that consistently.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

If we had 5 on the bench, then sure. But the problem is, he'd only be there as injury cover for Gerhardt & Colosimo. He doesn't really add anything in terms of versatility. Should Colosimo get injured, I think we'll just have to move Coyne, who I think can play across the back. And as good as Kalmar was last week, it's only one game. It's yet to be seen if he can back it up, or put in an effort like that consistently.

how does one prove themselves if they aren't rewarded another start given last weeks performance ???

how does one prove themselves if they aren't rewarded another start given last weeks performance ???

Well if you want to start Vrankovic instead of Colosimo, then fine. The thing is, I still wouldn't have Colosimo on the bench as a back up. I just don't think there's often much to be gained from substituting defenders unless they pick up an injury. And we're limited in how we use the bench by it's small size.

I like Vrankovic. He'll get plenty of opportunities if he doesn't play this week. And in the mean time, he'll develop by playing in the youth league, which is perfectly normal.

Edit: Unless you're talking about Kalmar. In which case, I have him starting. ;)

Edited by Sash

If Fred is fit to play then he will start,

Despite what PPL on here think or want...

Don't see how you could make a logical argument for rushing him straight into the XI this week when Kalmar, Germano, Thompson, Meeuwis & god forbid Hoffman are all fit.

All I am just saying is that whenever Fred is just fit enough to be in the team, the plan always seems to be for him to start and come of early rather than come on as a sub.

I am not saying that I agree with this plan - I just find it highly likely to happen from my expeirences of watching MH.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

If Fred is fit to play then he will start,

Despite what PPL on here think or want...

Don't see how you could make a logical argument for rushing him straight into the XI this week when Kalmar, Germano, Thompson, Meeuwis & god forbid Hoffman are all fit.

All I am just saying is that whenever Fred is just fit enough to be in the team, the plan always seems to be for him to start and come of early rather than come on as a sub.

I am not saying that I agree with this plan - I just find it highly likely to happen from my expeirences of watching MH.

This is correct. Fred will start, and come off after 65 for Nicky.

Melbourne Heart squad: 1.Clint Bolton (Gk), 4. Simon Colosimo, 5.Fred, 6. Patrick Gerhardt, 8. Matthew Thompson, 9. Dylan Macallister, 11. Richard Garcia, 13. Jonatan Germano,14. Golgol Mebrahtu, 15. David Williams, 16. Marcel Meeuwis, 17. Jason Hoffman, 18. David Vrankovic, 20. Andrew Redmayne (GK), 21. Jamie Coyne, 22. Nick Kalmar, 25. Jeremy Walker, 36. Eli Babalj (Three to be omitted)

Ins: 4. Simon Colosimo (returns from injury), 5.Fred (returns from injury) 16. Marcel Meeuwis (transfer)

Outs: Nil

Squad announcement, who misses out? I'd suggest Hoffman would be one, Vrankovic another. Three who miss will be unlucky, mind blowing to have competition for places.

Newcastle Jets squad: 1. Ben Kennedy (gk), 3. Zenon Caravella, 4. Josh Mitchell, 5. Dominik Ritter, 7. James Brown, 8. Ruben Zadkovich ©, 9. Emile Heskey, 11. Connor Chapman, 12. Josh Brillante, 13. Sam Gallaway, 14. Taylor Regan, 15. Craig Goodwin, 17. James Virgili, 18. Jacob Pepper, 19. Michael Bridges, 20. Mark Birighitti (gk), 22. Adam Taggart, 23. Ryan Griffiths, 25. Mitch Cooper, 26. Andrew Hoole (Five to be omitted)

Ins: James Brown, Dominik Ritter

Outs: Scott Neville

Unavailable: Ben Kantarovski (knee/season)

Melbourne Heart squad: 1.Clint Bolton (Gk), 4. Simon Colosimo, 5.Fred, 6. Patrick Gerhardt, 8. Matthew Thompson, 9. Dylan Macallister, 11. Richard Garcia, 13. Jonatan Germano,14. Golgol Mebrahtu, 15. David Williams, 16. Marcel Meeuwis, 17. Jason Hoffman, 18. David Vrankovic, 20. Andrew Redmayne (GK), 21. Jamie Coyne, 22. Nick Kalmar, 25. Jeremy Walker, 36. Eli Babalj (Three to be omitted)

Ins: 4. Simon Colosimo (returns from injury), 5.Fred (returns from injury) 16. Marcel Meeuwis (transfer)

Unavailable: 10. Josip Tadic (broken toe – 3-5 weeks), 23.Mate Dugandzic (broken foot – season) 24. Sam Mitchinson (quad strain - three weeks)

I would be dropping Hoffman, Macallister and Fred.

Newcastle Jets squad: 1. Ben Kennedy (gk), 3. Zenon Caravella, 4. Josh Mitchell, 5. Dominik Ritter, 7. James Brown, 8. Ruben Zadkovich ©, 9. Emile Heskey, 11. Connor Chapman, 12. Josh Brillante, 13. Sam Gallaway, 14. Taylor Regan, 15. Craig Goodwin, 17. James Virgili, 18. Jacob Pepper, 19. Michael Bridges, 20. Mark Birighitti (gk), 22. Adam Taggart, 23. Ryan Griffiths, 25. Mitch Cooper, 26. Andrew Hoole (Five to be omitted)

Ins: James Brown, Dominik Ritter

Outs: Scott Neville

Unavailable: Ben Kantarovski (knee/season)

Unavailable: 10. Josip Tadic (broken toe – 3-5 weeks), 23.Mate Dugandzic (broken foot – season) 24. Sam Mitchinson (quad strain - three weeks)

I would be dropping Hoffman, Macallister and Fred.

Why would you not even play Fred of the bench?

Dont tell me your saw him with his top button done up as well....

Drop Hoff, One of the CB's in Colosimo or Vranks, and Supermac

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

1) To ensure he is actually ready to come back, as opposed to rushing him in too early.

2) Because Kalmar played well last week in Fred's absence and may continue that form, and provide GvE with a different proposition.

3) There are other midfield options available to us.

1) To ensure he is actually ready to come back, as opposed to rushing him in too early.

2) Because Kalmar played well last week in Fred's absence and may continue that form, and provide GvE with a different proposition.

3) There are other midfield options available to us.

1. If the fitness team say his fit to play - His fit to play.

2. He can replace Kalmar when his spent.

3. It doesnt matter if there are more Midfield options, if you want Fred out of the squad then a CB will be taking his place on the bench which is simply not needed with Coyne and Thompson in the side.

Edited by cadete

People not travelling going to watch at imp? if so people under 18 can get in or?

I'm going to the Imp.

If you're underage and accompanied by a parent or responsible adult, there should be no problem.

But as far as I know, if you're on your own, they can knock you back.

I don't know if the Imp is easy to get into or not if you look around 18. I wonder if we can organise something with the pub that will allow under 18's in to watch Heart games as long as they're not served alcohol?

Edited by Sash