Melbourne Football

Represent the Heart.

Mentor

When do the Representative Group meet with the club again.

My opinion is the administration need to have plans in place yesterday for next seasons membership push.

I urge this group to push the club in establishing the plan of attack now. I want this group to question how hard the club will be working in the off season. I want this group to keep the club on their toes.

Call a meeting to make sure by the final whistle of the season, means the hard work begins, not winter holidays start and nothing is done again.

Group is to meet every two months, however, the club has asked for some specific immediate feedback directly from this forum, which is why I'm asking for feedback on several specific topics that were discussed at the first meeting.

The suggestion of an earlier membership drive has already been discussed with lots of positive feedback. Your query on what happens after that and during the long off season is a good one (this was something briefly talked about at the first meeting). Will certainly forward to the club as part of a package of feedback.

For now, I would still like peoples view on what they think of the club's identity :-)

Group is to meet every two months, however, the club has asked for some specific immediate feedback directly from this forum, which is why I'm asking for feedback on several specific topics that were discussed at the first meeting.

The suggestion of an earlier membership drive has already been discussed with lots of positive feedback. Your query on what happens after that and during the long off season is a good one (this was something briefly talked about at the first meeting). Will certainly forward to the club as part of a package of feedback.

For now, I would still like peoples view on what they think of the club's identity :-)

For an opinion of identity it's good to research from multiple sources and form opinions without an emotional element.

We the members and fans have an attachment to the club. Outsiders do not and genuine people will give good opinions.

I have conducted my own research with a combination of a) Our fan b )opposition fan c) victory fan d) a non a league follower. All research is not on a broad scale but for me there was a lot of similar thoughts that should alarm the club.

I am heading out to breakfast now with friends I will tell you the positives and negatives and what my opinion is on the club when I'm finished. In short we have to make a lot of changes in perception and the way we act and conduct ourselves. I keep saying Melbourne doesn't suffer fools and right now, we are suffering.

Edited by Melburnian

Thanks TA. Many of us appreciate your efforts, and what your representative group are doing is a really positive thing.

The clubs identity is a really vexed question. We are naturally the smaller club and new kid on the block. We have a smaller budget, inferior facilities, less history and fewer fans. But with this comes an identity of punching above our weight. There is an absence of arrogance or entitlement, and there is a feeling of a plan to build success rather than open the cheque book and try and get instant gratification. I suppose you could call it an underdog mentality. Myself and heart fans I know are attracted to this as we have a process to admire, rather than just a bought product. I know fans are often cynical about our youth policy, but the statistics are pretty compelling - we have played and developed some exceptional kids, given them opportunities internationally, and hopefully will have them return to repay our faith at some point.

The obvious problem with this identity is the perception that success is less likely and we are simply there to make up the numbers. An unfortunate reality is that the fair weather element in any sport will gravitate to premierships. The obvious solution is to start winning premierships, but as we all know this is not an easy thing, and hence the crucial next few years to lock in some more permanent and ardent supporters. We are entering a critical period.

The chance of geographic identity has passed - friends of mine who follow Victory say this was a big mistake and I think this argument has legs. The WSW experience would also support this. The idea of community engagement is being enacted, but again budgetary restrictions limit this. I have tapped into this community engagement with my local club, and have found the Heart staff enthusiastic, helpful and very keen (on a shoestring) to become involved locally. Our local FFV rep also has told me that Heart are great for local involvement and tickets to games - something Victory do not bother with. The holiday programs for kids are fun and well attended and the clubs reps are really approachable and keen on these days. This identity however takes years to show fruit as we are targeting kids/youth who we hope will ultimately become lifelong supporters.

The idea of a world class marquee is an interesting one. I can definitely see the merits on a marketing view, but we'd be open to criticism from the "youth at all costs" critics from within and outside. I frankly would see a marquee as a great thing for our club - marketing cudos and fans, as well as putting a role model in front of our kids to show them what it takes to make on a bigger stage. As long as we don't do it like Sydney, filling the side with high profile oldies, one high class marquee would pay dividends to both our results, and remain consistent with our philosophy.

I don't think we have a "anything but Victory" identity. We are a different beast with a different philosophy. That's why I'm on board - and will continue to be so.

• Like 3

Yes, I did read that, and as you can see I have suggested that we all need to drop that line of thought. 

I wasn't having a go at you personally, I'm just sick of hearing 'oh Heart need a geographic identity'. Moreso when it's followed by 'South Melb have that identity'. Fuck those guys. 

At the moment the clubs identity is still largely in a development stage so I dont think discussing it at this stage is particularly fruitful.

I can see the long term vision of being a family friendly, community club willing to give youngsters a shot which is great and commendable.

However I feel that we are too concerned with what we want to become in the distant future and as a result we are ignoring what we are right now. Unsuccessful and largely invisible in the melbourne sporting market.

• Like 1

Thanks TA. Many of us appreciate your efforts, and what your representative group are doing is a really positive thing.

The clubs identity is a really vexed question. We are naturally the smaller club and new kid on the block. We have a smaller budget, inferior facilities, less history and fewer fans. But with this comes an identity of punching above our weight. There is an absence of arrogance or entitlement, and there is a feeling of a plan to build success rather than open the cheque book and try and get instant gratification. I suppose you could call it an underdog mentality. Myself and heart fans I know are attracted to this as we have a process to admire, rather than just a bought product. I know fans are often cynical about our youth policy, but the statistics are pretty compelling - we have played and developed some exceptional kids, given them opportunities internationally, and hopefully will have them return to repay our faith at some point.

The obvious problem with this identity is the perception that success is less likely and we are simply there to make up the numbers. An unfortunate reality is that the fair weather element in any sport will gravitate to premierships. The obvious solution is to start winning premierships, but as we all know this is not an easy thing, and hence the crucial next few years to lock in some more permanent and ardent supporters. We are entering a critical period.

The chance of geographic identity has passed - friends of mine who follow Victory say this was a big mistake and I think this argument has legs. The WSW experience would also support this. The idea of community engagement is being enacted, but again budgetary restrictions limit this. I have tapped into this community engagement with my local club, and have found the Heart staff enthusiastic, helpful and very keen (on a shoestring) to become involved locally. Our local FFV rep also has told me that Heart are great for local involvement and tickets to games - something Victory do not bother with. The holiday programs for kids are fun and well attended and the clubs reps are really approachable and keen on these days. This identity however takes years to show fruit as we are targeting kids/youth who we hope will ultimately become lifelong supporters.

The idea of a world class marquee is an interesting one. I can definitely see the merits on a marketing view, but we'd be open to criticism from the "youth at all costs" critics from within and outside. I frankly would see a marquee as a great thing for our club - marketing cudos and fans, as well as putting a role model in front of our kids to show them what it takes to make on a bigger stage. As long as we don't do it like Sydney, filling the side with high profile oldies, one high class marquee would pay dividends to both our results, and remain consistent with our philosophy.

I don't think we have a "anything but Victory" identity. We are a different beast with a different philosophy. That's why I'm on board - and will continue to be so.

Top post. The only think I don't agree with is the idea that we need a geographic base. But a lot of the things you mention are what has attracted me to the club. We all want to win silverware, and I agree that it's important in these formative years to build a culture of success. But ultimately following a club has more to do with feeling a part of something than just winning.

In any case, Australians love underdogs and sports people who punch above their weight. Our sporting culture is built on being a small nation that punches above it's weight (even if it's not always true). I think there's a large dose of scepticism towards the European football model which contains large wealthy clubs who buy the best players and win championships regularly. All our domestic club competitions are levelled out to give all clubs a chance to win.

Anyway, I don't really care for these discussions of club identity. It's fluid and vague and perceptions change over time anyway. And I couldn't care less what supporters of other clubs think of us. What does Perth or Adelaide or Brisbane stand for other than the places they come from? Why do we seem to be the only club that has to go throught this pointless navel gazing excercise? What we need to do is keep pursuing the values the club was born with - community engagement, developing youth, trying to play attractive football, and top it off with on-field success. They're all worthy goals.

Also, bear in mind that even without success, the club has continued to grow, albeit very gradually. We can get around 10,000 supporters to games now. In round 2, after the derby win, we had close to 10,000 of our own fans when we played Wellington. Our home derbies would attract something like 10-12,000 of our own fans. And 14,000 last home game, most of whom were wearing red and white. If we win today, there should be a similar turn up next week too.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is, other than I don't think things are as bad as others seem to think. I don't think we need to worry about manufacturing an identity. I think the foundations are fine, we just need to win more, and do it soon. I think we should hold true to the basics, keep doing the things that engage people, and when we build a serious charge for a title, we'll see the potential emerge.

Edited by Sash

What is our identity at the moment? I'm not sure any of the fans know, so perhaps this question needs to be answered by Sidwell, Munn, Didulica and Aloisi. 

What should it be? Well, in short, whatever we want. One of our biggest successes this year, has been the publicity and attachment to the One Melburnian campaign, initiated by none other than our supporters. 

The Club is more than welcome to set goals, beliefs and club values. But as fans, we are the identity of the club. Why tie that down to 3 sentences? We are the ones that stand and sing "We are Melbourne and we will be the greatest team this city has seen". Let's work from that point onward as a dynamic and adaptive supporter base.

Personnaly - I like the idea of a family first mentality (and this is what I see in the crowds), and this allows all ages to enjoy the game in an enviroment that is freindly and welcomming (just like the Y-side)(Tiker is a big plus in this regard) .

Fuck off the flares - (unless some one can explain to me the point in this, maybe due to all the celebrating you are in distress and need attention and want to be taken to safety ( back of the police van)).

I think the club is growing (maybe not as fast as people would like) , but concidering we are in an AFL state and the biggest supporter base for an A-Leauge team against us I think we are doing well.

We need to cater for all walks of life and need to appeal to all comunities and races (I remember one home game with a bunch of japenese?? all in yellow on the right side of the YS. - why didn't they come back ???)

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth and excuse my spelling.

Edit:

Would like to thank the members that take their time and effort to attend these meeting and write(email) the club with the view of improvment - Thanks

Edited by borris
  • Like 1

...hence why the club is seeking feedback from its core supporters on what we think about the club's identity

But what the Club wants is to tie down a "fan's vision" of the Club direction. It doesn't work that way. The Club itself has to work out how to operate.

Without the fans, there is no viability to the Club. Without the Club, there is are no fans. Unlike the chicken and the egg, the Club comes before the fans.

...hence why the club is seeking feedback from its core supporters on what we think about the club's identity

But what the Club wants is to tie down a "fan's vision" of the Club direction. It doesn't work that way. The Club itself has to work out how to operate.

Without the fans, there is no viability to the Club. Without the Club, there is are no fans. Unlike the chicken and the egg, the Club comes before the fans.

..not after what we want the vision of the club to be. Not looking at the future. Just asking at this moment what is the identity of the club.

"So happy together"....I'm sorry, I can't take this song seriously, especially when the BA BA  BABABA BABA BABA BA BABABABABABABA BABA BABA comes on. The pre-game song is supposed to pump up the players before the match whereas with So Happy Together they probably imagine themselves chasing butterflies whilst riding unicorns through an enchanted forest! lol

• Like 1

"So happy together"....I'm sorry, I can't take this song seriously, especially when the BA BA  BABABA BABA BABA BA BABABABABABABA BABA BABA comes on. The pre-game song is supposed to pump up the players before the match whereas with So Happy Together they probably imagine themselves chasing butterflies whilst riding unicorns through an enchanted forest! lol

Clearly not a hammer

I think that in some ways we are in a similar position to the ALP when it comes to our identity. At one stage (I'm old enough to remember) the ALP used to stand for something. The Liberals did too but as they moved further to the right they highjacked the conservative supporters of the ALP. The Greens have highjacked the progressive supporters, and the ALP's response has been to become more like the Liberals whilst pretending to be like the Greens. Most people are too clever to be fooled by this and understand that the ALP stands for nothing.

We started with a clear youth focus and a plan for in-house development of our own players, and a possession based on-field game. This relies in part on the infrastructure that we don't have and will also take time to bear fruit. It was also in clear contrast to our 'team of stars' kick-and-rush football neighbours. It's also become obscured by the arrival of Ange at MV and his focus on youth development and possession based football, coinciding with a transition period for our club with a novice coach and following a large list clear-out that has necessitated (rightly or wrongly) in the retention of several key position senior players who are past their on-field prime. The Board in its wisdom has prioritised long-term financial security for the club but this has resulted in a small list and little selection pressure within the first 11. The youth team has also had a large player turnover from last season and has 'only' delivered 2 regular starting players to the senior team. All these factors have diluted the core values of the club.

I think that we need to be very clear as to our objectives as a club. Do we want to be regularly successful? If so we need to spend money hiring successful players who can build an enduring successful culture in the club (the MV route). Do we want to sacrifice regular on-field success and focus on young player development? If so then this is how we should pitch ourselves in an informed way and understand that we may be successful at times but that this will always be a temporary by-product of our focus as our best young players and coaches will always leave for richer pastures.

I don't think that it matters which way we go, all that matters is that we are good at it, but we really need to avoid the fate of the ALP who is becoming increasingly marginalised. The Greens may have less vote than the ALP but at least they clearly stand for something and stick to their guns.

5 star post. Top reading.

Some seriously good posting people.

Melbournian, still looking forward to your post (after your research) on the club's perceived identity.

Other than that, there is one final question before I collate the responses for the club.

Why do you support the Heart?

For me, I love Football, I never warmed to the visitors and how they operate and their supporters annoy me. My socceroo fix was not enough to satisfy my football needs and the a-league was moving in the right direction. I liked what Heart stood for initially (although the club perhaps has lost its way a bit this year, as was expertly put by BG in the post above). I like the red and white, the playing strip, our young players and AAMI park, and YS. I also like taking my young kids to the early games and I like seeing the number of families at our matches. I like it that we are underdogs and that we are building a club and I like the community / grass root efforts that the club makes. Some more success on field would be nice also...

So post away guys, feedback will go to the club by the end of the week.

I think that in some ways we are in a similar position to the ALP when it comes to our identity. At one stage (I'm old enough to remember) the ALP used to stand for something. The Liberals did too but as they moved further to the right they highjacked the conservative supporters of the ALP. The Greens have highjacked the progressive supporters, and the ALP's response has been to become more like the Liberals whilst pretending to be like the Greens. Most people are too clever to be fooled by this and understand that the ALP stands for nothing.

Sorry, not trying to derail this thread but sometimes things need to be said. I'll keep this short. This is an often trotted out analogy atm and an exceedingly over simplistic contemporary political critique that is rather shallow and is based in very little actual fact. The ALP has significant intra-party issues that urgently need to be addressed namely the dominance of the factionality narrative and the relativity of decisions made at caucus-level representative to the wider body-politic and the arguably more exigent issue of the re-distribution of direct political authority to those at Branch level. 

The ALP has and will always stand tall on its philosophical foundations as a party that differentiates itself by legitimately desiring to improve the lives of the many and not simply the elite or the misguided periphery. 

Once again, not trying to stymie the discussion in this very important thread, I just felt like replying to an issue I'm passionate about :up:

Edited by Braveheart

Why I follow HeartFC?

Football is my #1 sport since growing up playing in junior comps many years ago. The NSL came and went and it never connected strongly with me or the wider public. I felt its supporter base was too narrow and never felt strongly attracted to any of the Melbourne teams of that era.

I got into the HAL almost immediately and went along to MV games to support the new competition. HAL is inclusive of all cultures and is trying to be mainstream and that's what I like - it's the only way for the sport to grow. I didn't became a member of MV - not sure why but maybe they were far to arrogant for my liking. The Heart came along and I instantly saw an opportunity to get involved as a foundation member in an alternative to MV. I thought Melbourne deserved a second team and the possibility of having local derbies was exciting. This has proven to be correct. When the HAL was going through some problems with the folding of Fury and GCU and the failed World Cup bid, one of the few things that was showing the way forward and exciting the general public across Australia were the Melbourne Derbies - big crowds, colour and the underdog beating the filth :) The FFA has rightly poured money and resources into WSW but the Heart could and should argue that we deserve some FFA assistance in a tough Melbourne sporting market (the home of AFL and a 5 year head start given to MV) based on all the positives we have contributed to HAL.

We should be proud of what we have brought to the Melbourne sporting landscape and to the HAL. Our active supporters from day one have been special and more recently Heart management have been doing a much better job at improving game day experience. While I think that a youth policy is absolutely necessary and a more sophisticated possession based game is the way to go, these are things that are being copied by other HAL teams like the Tards. It's not unique to us. To grow the club we need to quickly develop a culture and mentality that is seen as being hungry for success and not putting up with mediocrity. The absolutely last thing I want is for people to feel sorry for us. I don't want to turn out like AFL clubs Footscray and North Melbourne.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 2

I'm pretty much like Heartinator above. A football tragic since the age of 5, after arriving in Melbourne used to occasionally watch South Melbourne in the NSL, although no Greek connections. Really took no notice of the HAL when it started, largely because I saw a large bogan element associated with MV (and still do). When AAMI Park arrived at the same time as Heart I was attracted to join as a Foundation Member and have a 'seat for life', and it was just the right time to get Mrs. JW involved as well. Liked the colours, the name, and the principles on which the club is founded, and it seemed that there would be opportunities for supporters to contribute to the development of the club (which there are) and everything just clicked into place. Proud to be a member of the tribe.

Despite our teething problems I think we have a great future.

Edited by jw1739

I got into the NSL when Northern Spirit came along, and madly supported them for a couple of years before moving away from Sydney. Then the NSL folded, and I completely lost all interest in soccer, local and overseas. I didn't pay any attention to the ALeague when it first started, was overseas for some of it anyway.

I started watching a few games, then went to a few Victory v Sydney games and found myself hating Victory from the minute I first saw them live. Was vaguely going for Sydney cause I was from there, but not to the extent of supporting them as a team.

When I heard there was a new Melbourne team starting I decided I would become a supporter, and get back into soccer as much as I had been with Spirit. To be honest, wouldn't have mattered what their name, colours, location was, I'd made the decision to support them.

Was very happy when we were announced to be red and white! (as a Swans supporter)

I've been to every single home game, and a few away games. Started off going by myself, but now I have people to go with that I've met through the club.

I love supporting Heart, despite the frustrations with results, and constantly being criticised for our crowds, etc.

I will support Heart til they fold or I die :)

• Like 3

Sorry, not trying to derail this thread but sometimes things need to be said. I'll keep this short. This is an often trotted out analogy atm and an exceedingly over simplistic contemporary political critique that is rather shallow and is based in very little actual fact. The ALP has significant intra-party issues that urgently need to be addressed namely the dominance of the factionality narrative and the relativity of decisions made at caucus-level representative to the wider body-politic and the arguably more exigent issue of the re-distribution of direct political authority to those at Branch level. 

The ALP has and will always stand tall on its philosophical foundations as a party that differentiates itself by legitimately desiring to improve the lives of the many and not simply the elite or the misguided periphery. 

Once again, not trying to stymie the discussion in this very important thread, I just felt like replying to an issue I'm passionate about :up:

Still relevant, the other thing that happens in stressed or unsuccessful groups is that pre-existing small differences and divisions can open up into large splits and increase the dysfunction. The club needs to ensure that this doesn't happen within the player group and the supporters need to make sure that it doesn't happen within the supporter group

I have been giving the club some updates on this thread, before I prepare a detailed collation of responses (will do tomorrow, so get your posts in people), and here is some feedback.

*The So Happy Together song was not meant to be played at half time last match.  This was an error from the production team.

*There is going to be a membership pre-sale which will happen soon.

*The full blown membership campaign will take a bit longer to get off the ground (timing TBA).

• Like 1

About So Happy Together...

I could be wrong, as I have no looked up the lyrics (and to be honest I would probably have to buy the original record to get an accurate source) but there is a line I believe is being spelled incorrectly on the big screen...

The line appears as "Now matter how they toss the dice"

Is this correct? Because I have always known it as "No matter..." so I've either been singing it completely wrong for years, or it has been typed wrong.

About So Happy Together...

I could be wrong, as I have no looked up the lyrics (and to be honest I would probably have to buy the original record to get an accurate source) but there is a line I believe is being spelled incorrectly on the big screen...

The line appears as "Now matter how they toss the dice"

Is this correct? Because I have always known it as "No matter..." so I've either been singing it completely wrong for years, or it has been typed wrong.

You are quite correct Bozza.

You can read the lyrics here: http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/cherish/happytogether.htm

TA, I know you haven't asked for specific comments on this, but before they open memberships for next season I reckon the three best ideas we have seen on the subject are as follows:

- each membership to include two GA admission tickets/vouchers that can be used for any game except a home derby (sort of supporting the One Melburnian campaign);

- multi-year membership options at a discount;

- try and move all existing Premium A and B members to the Western side and open up the Eastern side more as a family area, at a discount because of the sun.

Others may have different ideas.

I wouldn't want Heart to rush in with renewals and then realise that one or more of our ideas is a good one and they should have thought about it.

• Like 1

TA, I know you haven't asked for specific comments on this, but before they open memberships for next season I reckon the three best ideas we have seen on the subject are as follows:

- each membership to include two GA admission tickets/vouchers that can be used for any game except a home derby (sort of supporting the One Melburnian campaign);

- multi-year membership options at a discount;

- try and move all existing Premium A and B members to the Western side and open up the Eastern side more as a family area, at a discount because of the sun.

Others may have different ideas.

I wouldn't want Heart to rush in with renewals and then realise that one or more of our ideas is a good one and they should have thought about it.

Totally in agreeance.

The reason I joined the Heart:

Was not interested in the HAL when it started as i felt the quality of football was no better then the pub leauges back in England (and the NSL was to ethinic based). When I founld out that a 2nd team was earmarked for Melbourne this piqued my interest as I thought maybe I would join a club from the start.

The other reason was to have a father/son outting on a regular basis as he was 6 years old and going back to my English roots, wanted him to feel the passion of belonging to a club and feeling the passion of being a supporter (when he has taken to like a duck to water).

What i'd like to see from the club for a start, is the following:

Encrouging family support

Encrouging the Active support (by letting people who ever wants to stand there to be able to do so)

The youth teams to extend down to under 9's ( looking to the future and hopefully my son :))

To continue to listen to the supporters

Reward tenure of the fans (could be a piece of merc that is specifically tailored to the year you joined)

What I am hearing in this topic is sounding very promising, but as they say the proof is in the pudding and I am looking forward to some cake next year ( not that we can't get some this year but I feel we don't deserve any)

• Like 1

This is not so easy because Sidwell needs to convince the FFA and Foxtel, but getting better timeslots for games might help. He mentioned it in the Fan Forum and I know he's in talks with the relevant parties.

This season our home game times and crowds looked like this:

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 2 (BNR 5,466, ADU 7,181)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 4 (NJU 7,125, PG 4,505, PG 6,096, WSW ?,???)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 1 (MBV 26,457) Melbourne Derby

Sunday.. @ 3:00pm x 2 (WPX 11,007, CCM 6,357)

Sunday.. @ 4:00pm x 1 (BNR 6,303)

Sunday.. @ 5:00pm x 1 (SYD13,752) ADP Factor

Monday. @ 7:30pm x 1 (ADU 5,393) Labour Day

Tuesday @ 4:00pm x 1 (NJU 5,641) New Years Day

We had 8 different timeslots with no real sense of consistency and only 3 games were prime-time as opposed to Victory who got 9. Also, Victory's Monday night match had a Public Holiday the next day whereas Heart's was ON a Public Holiday with work and school the next day.

Victory have a compact schedule with 12/14 home-games played at 3 different timeslots:

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 4 (MBH, ADU, PG, NJU)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 4 (BNR, CCM, SYD, PG)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 4 (CCM, WPX, MBH, WSW)

Sunday... @ 5:00pm x 1 (NJU) Round 23

Monday.. @ 7:30pm x 1 (WPX) Melb Cup Eve

Sydney got 5 prime-time games - they got screwed by the FFA's WSW I reckon:

Thursday@ 7:30pm x 1 (CCM)

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 1 (ADU)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 4 (NJU, WPX, ADU, CCM)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 3 (MBV, WSW, MBV)

Sunday.. @ 5:00pm x 4 (PG, MBH, MBH, BNR)

Wanderers got a nice 9 prime-time games with 6 Saturday night matches:

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 2 (MBH, ADU)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 2 (NUJ, PG)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 6 (CCM, SYD, MBV, MBH, NJU, SYD)

Sunday.. @ 5:00pm x 2 (BNR, WPX)

Sunday.. @ 6:00pm x 1 (CCM)

Tuesday @ 6:15pm x 1 (MBV) New Years Day

I know we don't attract the TV viewers and attendances of the bigger teams, but if we keep getting the shit timeslots then we'll never get the chance to grow. FFA should be helping the smaller teams out, not just feeding the bigger teams and giving the leftover crumbs to the us!

At least we know that next season we might get another prime-time game since we'll be hosting two derbies!

• Like 2

This is not so easy because Sidwell needs to convince the FFA and Foxtel, but getting better timeslots for games might help. He mentioned it in the Fan Forum and I know he's in talks with the relevant parties.

This season our home game times and crowds looked like this:

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 2 (BNR 5,466, ADU 7,181)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 4 (NJU 7,125, PG 4,505, PG 6,096, WSW ?,???)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 1 (MBV 26,457) Melbourne Derby

Sunday.. @ 3:00pm x 2 (WPX 11,007, CCM 6,357)

Sunday.. @ 4:00pm x 1 (BNR 6,303)

Sunday.. @ 5:00pm x 1 (SYD13,752) ADP Factor

Monday. @ 7:30pm x 1 (ADU 5,393) Labour Day

Tuesday @ 4:00pm x 1 (NJU 5,641) New Years Day

We had 8 different timeslots with no real sense of consistency and only 3 games were prime-time as opposed to Victory who got 9. Also, Victory's Monday night match had a Public Holiday the next day whereas Heart's was ON a Public Holiday with work and school the next day.

Victory have a compact schedule with 12/14 home-games played at 3 different timeslots:

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 4 (MBH, ADU, PG, NJU)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 4 (BNR, CCM, SYD, PG)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 4 (CCM, WPX, MBH, WSW)

Sunday... @ 5:00pm x 1 (NJU) Round 23

Monday.. @ 7:30pm x 1 (WPX) Melb Cup Eve

Sydney got 5 prime-time games - they got screwed by the FFA's WSW I reckon:

Thursday@ 7:30pm x 1 (CCM)

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 1 (ADU)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 4 (NJU, WPX, ADU, CCM)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 3 (MBV, WSW, MBV)

Sunday.. @ 5:00pm x 4 (PG, MBH, MBH, BNR)

Wanderers got a nice 9 prime-time games with 6 Saturday night matches:

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 2 (MBH, ADU)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 2 (NUJ, PG)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 6 (CCM, SYD, MBV, MBH, NJU, SYD)

Sunday.. @ 5:00pm x 2 (BNR, WPX)

Sunday.. @ 6:00pm x 1 (CCM)

Tuesday @ 6:15pm x 1 (MBV) New Years Day

I know we don't attract the TV viewers and attendances of the bigger teams, but if we keep getting the shit timeslots then we'll never get the chance to grow. FFA should be helping the smaller teams out, not just feeding the bigger teams and giving the leftover crumbs to the us!

At least we know that next season we might get another prime-time game since we'll be hosting two derbies!

they are actually very relevant and great stats. 

:clap:

• Like 1