Melbourne Football

Represent the Heart.

Mentor

TA, I know you haven't asked for specific comments on this, but before they open memberships for next season I reckon the three best ideas we have seen on the subject are as follows:

- each membership to include two GA admission tickets/vouchers that can be used for any game except a home derby (sort of supporting the One Melburnian campaign);

- multi-year membership options at a discount;

- try and move all existing Premium A and B members to the Western side and open up the Eastern side more as a family area, at a discount because of the sun.

Others may have different ideas.

I wouldn't want Heart to rush in with renewals and then realise that one or more of our ideas is a good one and they should have thought about it.

seems sensible ... will ensure your post is included

This is not so easy because Sidwell needs to convince the FFA and Foxtel, but getting better timeslots for games might help. He mentioned it in the Fan Forum and I know he's in talks with the relevant parties.

This season our home game times and crowds looked like this:

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 2 (BNR 5,466, ADU 7,181)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 4 (NJU 7,125, PG 4,505, PG 6,096, WSW ?,???)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 1 (MBV 26,457) Melbourne Derby

Sunday.. @ 3:00pm x 2 (WPX 11,007, CCM 6,357)

Sunday.. @ 4:00pm x 1 (BNR 6,303)

Sunday.. @ 5:00pm x 1 (SYD13,752) ADP Factor

Monday. @ 7:30pm x 1 (ADU 5,393) Labour Day

Tuesday @ 4:00pm x 1 (NJU 5,641) New Years Day

We had 8 different timeslots with no real sense of consistency and only 3 games were prime-time as opposed to Victory who got 9. Also, Victory's Monday night match had a Public Holiday the next day whereas Heart's was ON a Public Holiday with work and school the next day.

Victory have a compact schedule with 12/14 home-games played at 3 different timeslots:

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 4 (MBH, ADU, PG, NJU)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 4 (BNR, CCM, SYD, PG)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 4 (CCM, WPX, MBH, WSW)

Sunday... @ 5:00pm x 1 (NJU) Round 23

Monday.. @ 7:30pm x 1 (WPX) Melb Cup Eve

Sydney got 5 prime-time games - they got screwed by the FFA's WSW I reckon:

Thursday@ 7:30pm x 1 (CCM)

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 1 (ADU)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 4 (NJU, WPX, ADU, CCM)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 3 (MBV, WSW, MBV)

Sunday.. @ 5:00pm x 4 (PG, MBH, MBH, BNR)

Wanderers got a nice 9 prime-time games with 6 Saturday night matches:

Friday.... @ 7:30pm x 2 (MBH, ADU)

Saturday @ 5:30pm x 2 (NUJ, PG)

Saturday @ 7:45pm x 6 (CCM, SYD, MBV, MBH, NJU, SYD)

Sunday.. @ 5:00pm x 2 (BNR, WPX)

Sunday.. @ 6:00pm x 1 (CCM)

Tuesday @ 6:15pm x 1 (MBV) New Years Day

I know we don't attract the TV viewers and attendances of the bigger teams, but if we keep getting the shit timeslots then we'll never get the chance to grow. FFA should be helping the smaller teams out, not just feeding the bigger teams and giving the leftover crumbs to the us!

At least we know that next season we might get another prime-time game since we'll be hosting two derbies!

Couldn't agree more. I think if you look at Adelaide over the past three seasons they have had a lot of Friday and Saturday evening games.

If you have regular home games it helps plan the home life so that you can get to as many as possible.

Another problem with Sunday games in Melbourne is that Sunday is the day that Metro regularly shut down various rail lines for maintenance etc.

I also reckon it's bloody awful having our last two games away from home - just makes our off-season even longer and harder to keep interest in the club alive.

Personally, I'd love to see a re-branding to something along the lines of Heart of Melbourne FC, and build the supporter base through promotion of the club as a football club for all Melburnians

I really like this brand adjustment idea :up::clap:

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

Personally, I'd love to see a re-branding to something along the lines of Heart of Melbourne FC, and build the supporter base through promotion of the club as a football club for all Melburnians

As much as i love the idea, I think we would unable to do it due to complaints from the AFL club.

As much as i love the idea, I think we would unable to do it due to complaints from the AFL club.

Let them complain! Heart is pretty much recognised now in Melbourne that there would be no confusion with the Dees. If however we were forced to think of an alternative, why not 'Heart of Melbourne AFC'. A more traditional approach using Association Football Club. Hey we could be trend setters here :)

• Like 1

instead of telling them to change it straight up.. Maybe people should just start saying Heart of Melbourne FC

Then eventually it could change ;)

Demetriou chucked a hissy fit over Melbourne <anything> FC because it was too close to Melbourne <Demons> FC so imagine we're called Heart of Melbourne Football Club - all the die-hard AFL folk would crucify us! lol

Maybe you can go with FC Heart of Melbourne or Melbourne City FC or we could just leave it as Melbourne Heart FC and have our unofficial slogan as "City of Melbourne Heart".

FWIW my view on 'rebadging.' Agree with Sash somewhere on a change to a round logo and removing the words 'Melbourne Heart' above it. Wouldn't mind a motto such as 'Many voices, one Heart.' I also like the name 'Heart of Melbourne.'

However, I don't think any of these things are the main game at the moment - need the club to focus on football and becoming a force in the League and building our supporter base as the priorities.

Edit: Possibly the best time for a subtle change to 'Heart of Melbourne Association Football Club' would be if, as and when some degree of community ownership is introduced. There would have to be other structural changes in the club at that time. Possibly to the licence as well?

Edited by jw1739

We don't need to change the name, we need to be challenging for titles.

We should keep up the community engagement and be more generous to supporters/potential supporters with family GA passes given away to clinic participants and members to invite friends (as mentioned in an earlier post) as a way of extending hospitality to those who in three seasons have stayed away from Melbourne Heart. A "loss leader" if you like.

From what I have read of recent interviews with those at Heart HQ, it appears that they have worked out that we need to retain players, challenge for silverware and spend more on marketing. It sounds as if we may be heading in the right direction.

About usOur ClubInspired by a vision for a broad based community team, celebrating cultural diversity and sporting passion through football, Melbourne Heart FC was established in 2009.That's from melbourneheartfc.com.au

I need to stop using Wikipedia.. Hahah well I like 2010 then hahah