Melbourne Football

A-League News Thread

mus-28

• 2 weeks later...

Perth don't have a bad squad.

Agreed.

Newcastle's is shaping up pretty nicely too actually

Jets don't play a home game until round 5! Sucks for their fans. They do play CCM in rd 2 or 3 though so that's home enough I guess haha.

Maybe, just maybe they are keeping the Jets off the park until they fix that terrible pitch also maybe the NRL are still ripping it up when our season starts.

• Like 1

Nathan Burns to Wellington on a 2 year deal. They're assembling a pretty handy side if they can pick up McGlinchey as well.

Nice signing indeed, still reckon they need a quality defender though. 

I have a gut feeling Alejandro Gorrin is going to tear it up for them next season tbh.

A lot will depend on which Jeremy Brockie turns up. Although he was deployed out wide a lot last season, which seemed to destroy his confidence.

Well with Huysegems now gone you'd think he'd play a central role, he's one of the best strikers in the league so it'd be baffling if he's played on the wing again. 

Taggart officially signed by Fulham now. Not a bad move I think as it's not a major step up in quality so he is likely to be playing, but still enough of a step up in quality that it will help his development.

Yep, the Championship is a great league for a guy like Taggart to play in as there's 46 games + cup ties so he'll get his chance at the very least. 

I hope he does well, especially since Fulham have a good chance of bouncing back into the prem.

Taggart officially signed by Fulham now. Not a bad move I think as it's not a major step up in quality so he is likely to be playing, but still enough of a step up in quality that it will help his development.

Yep, the Championship is a great league for a guy like Taggart to play in as there's 46 games + cup ties so he'll get his chance at the very least. 

I hope he does well, especially since Fulham have a good chance of bouncing back into the prem.

definitely a step up from the A league, it will be good experience for him, and the future, for Socceroo duties

I wish him well

FuiqZNoF.jpeg

I always thought he was better than Good when they both played for us, but Good had more potential, and it seems to have worked out that way.

Hamill has played very little football since he left us. In fact I can't readily think of anyone who has done so well after leaving us that we've looked stupid to let them go. Beauchamp had a couple of reasonable seasons with WSW, perhaps Craig Goodwin - but I can't think of anyone else. Quite a number have pretty much come to a dead stop after they've left us.

FuiqZNoF.jpeg

I always thought he was better than Good when they both played for us, but Good had more potential, and it seems to have worked out that way.

Hamill has played very little football since he left us. In fact I can't readily think of anyone who has done so well after leaving us that we've looked stupid to let them go. Beauchamp had a couple of reasonable seasons with WSW, perhaps Craig Goodwin - but I can't think of anyone else. Quite a number have pretty much come to a dead stop after they've left us.

would have thought, barring that injury to his hammy, that Curtis Good was (pardon the pun) good to make the WC squad.

FuiqZNoF.jpeg

would have thought, barring that injury to his hammy, that Curtis Good was (pardon the pun) good to make the WC squad.

Looks pretty damn injury prone and last I heard may have been making a permanent move to Dundee Utd, that's career over pretty much. Melbourne City would be likely to beat Dundee Utd if they played a match. He's really just going backwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Newcastle's Brillante has been sold to Fiorentina and Brisbane are on the verge of signing of unknown Macedonian striker Mensur Kurtisi.

It looks like the Kurtisi deal is a certainty. I'm not sure where the interest originated from, but it probably has to do with Shkendija's Europa qualification matches. I haven't seen much of him, but he must be half decent for Brisbane to sign him at that age. Shkendija supporters are an absolute disgrace and that club would identify as anything but Macedonian, so I couldn't really care less about this signing. But if it means one less quality player at that scum club, then I'm happy.

• Like 1

Newcastle's Brillante has been sold to Fiorentina and Brisbane are on the verge of signing of unknown Macedonian striker Mensur Kurtisi.

It looks like the Kurtisi deal is a certainty. I'm not sure where the interest originated from, but it probably has to do with Shkendija's Europa qualification matches. I haven't seen much of him, but he must be half decent for Brisbane to sign him at that age. Shkendija supporters are an absolute disgrace and that club would identify as anything but Macedonian, so I couldn't really care less about this signing. But if it means one less quality player at that scum club, then I'm happy.

Pretty random, not even a stand out player in the Macedonian league, but I've been saying for a while they are plenty of good players on affordable wages available in Eastern Europe, and A-League clubs should be having a look.

Could easily see this turning into a flop, but if it goes the other way then it could trigger a bit of an influx.

Newcastle's Brillante has been sold to Fiorentina

Also random, can't see him getting much game time, too old for Primavera I believe, probably will be sent on loan to Serie B.

<25% chance he spends more than a month in the first team squad, IMO.

Barcelona great Guillermo Amor has agreed to spend a month as a consulting coach with Adelaide United.

Amor, 46, who scored four goals for Spain in 37 internationals, will travel to Australia at the request of Adelaide coach and fellow Spaniard Josep Gombau.

Gombau said he is attempting to implement a Barcelona-style, possession-based game at Adelaide and asked Amor to observe United's training and offer technical advice. "I want to see how a style such as this is being implemented in a place where it is not common."

Gombau, who was Barcelona's youth coach from 2003 to 2009, has previously signed Spanish midfielders Isaias Sanchez and Sergio Cirio for Adelaide.

Amor played 311 matches with Barcelona from 1988 to 1998 before stints with Fiorentina and Villareal.