Melbourne Football

Blog: All Heart All Head

Tommykins

http://allheartallhead.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/the-statistical-importance-of-andrew-redmayne/

The statistical importance of Andrew Redmayne might not read like a particularly exciting title (granted, it isn't) however I felt that he gave a good account of himself this year and after having a look through the numbers, it became pretty clear that he had actually, quite a stellar season!

• 3 weeks later...

http://allheartallhead.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/passing-the-ball/

The ability to pass the round ball is something which can never really be overstated, but looking back on the season that was, was Matt Thompson harshly judged?

This post looks at Passing Activity (the amount of ball that a player gets) vs the players efficiency with the ball once he gets it.

http://allheartallhead.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/passing-the-ball/

The ability to pass the round ball is something which can never really be overstated, but looking back on the season that was, was Matt Thompson harshly judged?

This post looks at Passing Activity (the amount of ball that a player gets) vs the players efficiency with the ball once he gets it.

Reckon 90% of Thompson's passes were backwards or to the side. Inflates his numbers surely?

Without doubt it does, sadly the GPS data of the passing isn't available to us mere mortals, but given he was obviously a very defensive minded midfielder this year, what if he'd been paired with a more creative midfielder another 10 yards up the park?

Trust me, he would have turned around and passed it backwards, even if an opposition player was behind him. If you doubt me, watch a replay of the final Wellington game away. Unbelievable.

I agree. While most of his passes (at least notionally) were all backwards, interesting fact about that match though. Our two centre halves miss 24 passes between them and average around 65 disposal efficiency. Now while I'm not saying this is anyway an excuse for the way he played, but for centre halves who spend the time playing fairly short, simple passes, it certainly doesn't help.

Edited by Tommykins

Interesting stats. I admit, I didn't realise just how many passes Thompson was completed. And given that Thompson is gone, we will either need new players who can successfully perform a lot or passes, or our current players will have to shoulder the weight and complete a lot more passes.  It will probably be a mix of both.

I do wonder how assists correlate with passes completed. To play a killer pass/make an assist is probably the toughest pass one can make. So I reckon it would lower a players passes completed percentage, despite how very important it is for players to attempt quality final balls that can lead to goals. I did a quick look at one data set and found that Thompson only completed 2 assists, despite his many passes and his fine accuracy with them. Tadic, meanwhile, performed 3 assists. And this is despite Tadic playing around 800 minutes less than Thompson. Of course, they played in different positions, so it doesn't quite work to compare them. It might just prove the point that forwards have a low passing accuracy and a high rate of assists, while midfielders have a high passing accuracy and a lower rate of assists.

Anyway, its always interesting to see football stats, as they always shed a little bit of light.

Edited by Murfy1

This is probably something I didn't cover well enough in that post, but will in an upcoming one adding assists as a variable, you'll take an attack creative central midfielder not 'completing' passes if he's turning defences around and causing problems in a defence. Sadly no-one produced a nice hatload of assists, Garcia might have been creating valuable pressure, he provided only 4 assists for the season. 

I think Thompson played a bit too deep to have provided a lot of assists, however in some instances Tadic is no doubt johnny on the spot.

IMHO this concept of 'completed passes' and 'assists' is something new and borrowed from some other game(s)?

IMO 'completed passes' means nothing whatsoever, because length, direction and circumstance are not taken into account.

I assume that an 'assist' is the final pass that leads directly to another player scoring. This seems to me to be of more value (because the circumstance is taken into account) but again length and direction are not taken into account. Nor indeed is the preceding play or what the receiving player has to do with the ball before he finally pokes it in.

I would have thought that Garcia with six goals and four assists was easily our most potent forward, but I find it all a bit academic.

• Like 2

Garcia was most certainly our most potent attacking outlet, what I was trying to tease out was given he had the lowest passing efficiency of any midfielder, does the ability to make a dangerous pass less often make a player useful then the one who can make a simple ball 95% of the time. Do you need one to facilitate the other?

• 2 months later...

Have been extremely lazy on this, however, I've got a new article on how I think Melbourne Heart could best complete there squad.

http://allheartallhead.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/the-final-touches/

Great read.

Engelaar is an interesting one, I've never seen him play before but how beastly does a 6'5 central midfielder sound?! Also interesting to note the Wielaert connection too, I guess I wonder whether he'd be a marquee or just a Visa player?

He's typically an advanced player, although he sits back and controls the tempo a bit. With a nice passing range, if he was paired with Harry Kewell, I dare say you'd have one of the better midfield combinations the A-League has seen.

Edited by Tommykins
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

very good read, sums up thoughts quite well i think.

although if i can give one suggestion (and it's not critical at all of the content) is i'd recommend getting another pair of eyes to have a read before it gets uploaded. it's a little bit disjointed and i reckon you'd be happier with the work as well if it's cleaned up.

anyway, kutgw :clap:

very good read, sums up thoughts quite well i think.

although if i can give one suggestion (and it's not critical at all of the content) is i'd recommend getting another pair of eyes to have a read before it gets uploaded. it's a little bit disjointed and i reckon you'd be happier with the work as well if it's cleaned up.

anyway, kutgw :clap:

This is the copy-writer in you coming out, isn't it?

• 2 months later...