Melbourne Football

Round 16 - MHFC v Sydney - Sun Jan 13th

Fan forum on 30th should be interesting.

Bringing pitchforks and flares. I'll be standing by the door mate. Take what you need

would a noose be taking it too far for the fan forum?

This is exactly the problem that he team has. You can see it from Behich's reaction for instance, he gets angry, stops thinking and responds reactively. He stops playing in the way that he has been trained to do and team structure starts to break down. This is simultaneously happening with enough of the other 11 players that the team loses cohesion, thinks like 11 individuals rather than as a group, and responds in a mindless panicked way. Coach's instructions are forgotten. Drills are forgotten. We don't need to deal with this situation with a noose (I'm sure that you're joking though) we need to stop and think about what is happening repeatedly and then think about ways to manage the situation differently.

The solution is to think more on the field, not less. Another example of the problem is seen in our ball speed, the player with the ball often has to stop, look around for the pass, often there isn't one. This is because other players aren't thinking, they should already be moving into a position to receive the ball as soon as the previous pass has begun. The faster the game gets the more we get exposed for our poor thinking on the pitch

This is a problem that can be sorted out during training for heaven's sake. Like us, if JA could see that we were failing to act cohesively in the last half of the match then he would surely have been putting on training drills to simulate those conditions and get the players to react accordingly. I think this is basically a lack of hardened match preparation. If we're falling over at the last hurdle then we haven't conditioned ourselves properly to cope with match day pressure. Edited by HEARTinator

I don't normally agree but PAheart summed it up.

I don't think Aloisi's tactics were to blame (although three strikers on the bench are always recipie for trouble even if Hoffman is a converted DM), its a player mindset. We don't deserve to be in the six. Sure Ange could've given them a spray but its more about the attitude the players carry. And I don't think anyone can blame the youth lads, it's leadership on the field that is the problem.

Sydney's defence are woeful, but yet we didn't show any attacking desire to bury them

Bringing pitchforks and flares. I'll be standing by the door mate. Take what you need

This is exactly the problem that he team has. You can see it from Behich's reaction for instance, he gets angry, stops thinking and responds reactively. He stops playing in the way that he has been trained to do and team structure starts to break down. This is simultaneously happening with enough of the other 11 players that the team loses cohesion, thinks like 11 individuals rather than as a group, and responds in a mindless panicked way. Coach's instructions are forgotten. Drills are forgotten. We don't need to deal with this situation with a noose (I'm sure that you're joking though) we need to stop and think about what is happening repeatedly and then think about ways to manage the situation differently.

The solution is to think more on the field, not less. Another example of the problem is seen in our ball speed, the player with the ball often has to stop, look around for the pass, often there isn't one. This is because other players aren't thinking, they should already be moving into a position to receive the ball as soon as the previous pass has begun. The faster the game gets the more we get exposed for our poor thinking on the pitch

This is a problem that can be sorted out during training for heaven's sake. Like us, if JA could see that we were failing to act cohesively in the last half of the match then he would surely have been putting on training drills to simulate those conditions and get the players to react accordingly. I think this is basically a lack of hardened match preparation. If we're falling over at the last hurdle then we haven't conditioned ourselves properly to cope with match day pressure.

It isn't a problem that you can solve with drills, they are about automating responses, creating muscle memories and movement memories, this is about retaining the ability to think when under pressure. That sort of pressure can't be duplicated in training. I think that your idea of 'conditioning to cope with match day pressure' is all about retaining the ability to think under pressure. If you look at teams that do it well, their play looks effortless but they aren't mindless automatons, they are thinking ahead. When you can think a pass or two ahead then the game appears to slow down on the pitch. When you can't think then all the drills that you've practiced go out the window or else happen in an uncoordinated way. I remember hearing stories about Cruyff who used to get the ball, stop with one foot on the ball and yell at his team mates telling them where they needed to be on the pitch. We don't need to be able to do it at that level, but you can see many of our players making little chips or back-passes to nobody, the other player isn't thinking.

An analogy would be thinking about what is required as being like exam preparation, you can go into an exam with all the facts but if you are too anxious and can't think then you may answer the question that you hoped you were asked (rather than the one that was asked) or else not be able to think clearly at all. Just doing more study is not the solution to this problem.

Edited by belaguttman

Bela you make some very good points.

But as you say the issues of a slow transition, and lack of movement off the ball are not new, they've been there since JVS's time.

Its glaring obvious that my 73y.o father was cursing Thompson and Fred both labouring on the ball forever, whilst the morons behind stayed behind them giving them no option anyway. Half a dozen times when we were in their half I would say "now watch us pass it all the way back to the keeper:, and WE DID. Again nothing new, been happening most of last season.

So why haven't these glaring problems been fixed?

Why? Here's a quote form JA's presser, more or less:" We just have to continue playing the way did in the first half for 90 minutes". See, there IS NO PROBLEM. How can we expect change if the coach thinks we just have to do the same thing, only for longer?

NOTHING will change under this coach, assistant coach, fitness department, coach or Board.

Oh and half the squad needs to be shown the door.

• Like 1

What he says in the presser is much less important than what he says to the players and to the fans at the forum. It's a shame I'll be way as I'd love to ask him about this, hopefully someone else asks him and posts his reply. It may be that he sees the problem and has tried several solutions that haven't worked. I think that recruiting Vinnie Grella is a part of his solution, I think that if he plays it will help although the real solution is for all the 11 players on the field to accept responsibility to fix it, not look for a special player to save them all.

I agree that many of the squad need to be released, but what is important is the group mentality, not just the individuals that we recruit. Look at Broxham, under Ange he's had such a change in mentality he's even passed the ball forward a few times this season, his skills are exactly the same as they were.

Edited by belaguttman

This is a problem that can be sorted out during training for heaven's sake. Like us, if JA could see that we were failing to act cohesively in the last half of the match then he would surely have been putting on training drills to simulate those conditions and get the players to react accordingly. I think this is basically a lack of hardened match preparation. If we're falling over at the last hurdle then we haven't conditioned ourselves properly to cope with match day pressure.

It isn't a problem that you can solve with drills, they are about automating responses, creating muscle memories and movement memories, this is about retaining the ability to think when under pressure. That sort of pressure can't be duplicated in training. I think that your idea of 'conditioning to cope with match day pressure' is all about retaining the ability to think under pressure. If you look at teams that do it well, their play looks effortless but they aren't mindless automatons, they are thinking ahead. When you can think a pass or two ahead then the game appears to slow down on the pitch. When you can't think then all the drills that you've practiced go out the window or else happen in an uncoordinated way. I remember hearing stories about Cruyff who used to get the ball, stop with one foot on the ball and yell at his team mates telling them where they needed to be on the pitch. We don't need to be able to do it at that level, but you can see many of our players making little chips or back-passes to nobody, the other player isn't thinking.

An analogy would be thinking about what is required as being like exam preparation, you can go into an exam with all the facts but if you are too anxious and can't think then you may answer the question that you hoped you were asked (rather than the one that was asked) or else not be able to think clearly at all. Just doing more study is not the solution to this problem.

All very interesting and then we come to a question: can our current list of players become any better thought training or have some of them just hit a wall and need to be moved on?

All very interesting and then we come to a question: can our current list of players become any better thought training or have some of them just hit a wall and need to be moved on?

Just a side note. Fuck you sydney football stadium and your outragously expensive food.

Did you enjoy the 20km walk. You really need to buy snacks just to make it back to the away bay !! haha

I went to the first sydney game this season and got all the way there and was to early. They hadn't opened and were still cooking !!! :angry:

Shit stadium and expensive food. Getting to the away bay is a pain lol. Also the amount of Del Piero 10 jerseys around is un believable. Hope he leaves them, then lets see those crowd figures

For the good of football, thank god we didn't win. That was abysmal, not deserving of even a point and Sydney who wanted it more deservedly got the win, despite being as shit as they are, we managed to outdo em, well done lads.

Clapped Sydneys winner, that's how fuking disgraceful that was, i love how the bloke that scored the winner mentioned in his interview after the final whistle 'we showed heart' or something along those lines, funny because Melbourne Heart havent shown heart all season. Like some other poster said, lets hope we don't finish top 6, because it's a joke of a system anyway, 6 out of 10 teams go to finals, what's the bloody point, at the very most top 4 should slug it out, but even that is daft considering none of the top leagues in the world have such an absurd system. This team needs to pack it in and regroup for next year, because even if we make finals we will just be rightfully embarresed and told where to go.

Just watched the replay of the game, and I have to say that I dont think we played all that bad. Fred and Thompson I thought had one of their better games, while Jeremy Walker was impressive in defence.

We were well disciplined and controlled the game until we conceded, and had a few plays going foward where we should have done better, but as soon as Sydney equalised we were anxious and nervous and it told in the end.

Heres to a better result against Adelaide on Friday night.

• Like 1

But as you say the issues of a slow transition, and lack of movement off the ball are not new, they've been there since JVS's time.

Its glaring obvious that my 73y.o father was cursing Thompson and Fred both labouring on the ball forever, whilst the morons behind stayed behind them giving them no option anyway. Half a dozen times when we were in their half I would say "now watch us pass it all the way back to the keeper:, and WE DID. Again nothing new, been happening most of last season.

Why? Here's a quote form JA's presser, more or less:" We just have to continue playing the way did in the first half for 90 minutes". See, there IS NO PROBLEM. How can we expect change if the coach thinks we just have to do the same thing, only for longer?

NOTHING will change under this coach, assistant coach, fitness department, coach or Board.

THIS.

From the very start the club promised us an exciting attacking brand of football. After 3 seasons were not even close to that, if anything were heading to the opposite direction.

Western Sydney have achieved so much more in the space 6 months eg; strong fan engagement, winning attitude, tactical prowess. And they probably have the worst team on paper in the league.

How did we fuck up so badly?

Edited by fiz.heart

The club is very much let down down by the coaching staff. The squad list is top 4 material, but with no-one at the helm to make it happen, we will flutter on like we've been doing the whole season, and it will be penciled down as a big failure, and a big 'what if' at the end of the day. We will also probably lose some of the key players which makes it a top 4 team, and hence take 2 steps back for next season. Shame.

Just watched the replay of the game, and I have to say that I dont think we played all that bad. Fred and Thompson I thought had one of their better games, while Jeremy Walker was impressive in defence.

We were well disciplined and controlled the game until we conceded, and had a few plays going foward where we should have done better, but as soon as Sydney equalised we were anxious and nervous and it told in the end.

Heres to a better result against Adelaide on Friday night.

Really agree with this. The midfield was good and the defence was organised enough. Thought all that let us down was a poor performance in goal and the front three not getting on the ball enough.

It was a kick in the teeth to concede the late goals, but I'd put it down to fitness and nerves rather than a bad system or players having poor games.

It was a kick in the teeth to concede the late goals, but I'd put it down to fitness and nerves rather than a bad system or players having poor games.

You realize that doesn't make it the slightest bit better mate? We're weak. We have a mentality of mediocrity that has found it's way into every aspect of the club. The players lack balls, the coaches lack balls, management lack balls and the board lack balls.

The supporters are great but they won't cop this shit forever and we sure as hell will struggle to attract new fans despite Melburnian and co's best efforts with the other mob doing so well.

Man up heart you pack of girls.

• Like 2

THIS.

From the very start the club promised us an exciting attacking brand of football. After 3 seasons were not even close to that, if anything were heading to the opposite direction.

Western Sydney have achieved so much more in the space 6 months eg; strong fan engagement, winning attitude, tactical prowess. And they probably have the worst team on paper in the league.

How did we fuck up so badly?

i actually think it comes down to the Board of Management.

You mention WSW. I'll throw in Brisbane Roar in the two years prior. And Adelaide United in the first year under Coolen. The common thing to all three clubs was the FFA managing them. They made the coaching appointments, they operated to a budget, they gave the coach free reign. As soon as the FFA lets go of the reigns, Adelaide end up having a horrible season, their coach sue the management. Roar lose their coach, players lose unity and discipline and become a shadow of who they were.

Then look at the missed opportunity that Del Perio has become at Sydney due to an inept Board appointing a coach hopelessly out of his depth, and culling their squad to replace them with even worse players than they had. The same could be said for Victory's board and their debacle last season with Kewell: they first allowed Cole and Merrick to give long contracts to rubbish players, sack both and then do a "world-wide search" that leaves them with their untried youth coach (sounds familiar?).

After following this league from the start, I realise there are very very few people in this country who know how to manage a football club well. Many of the failures can be traced back to decisions at Board level.

• Like 4

You realize that doesn't make it the slightest bit better mate? We're weak. We have a mentality of mediocrity that has found it's way into every aspect of the club. The players lack balls, the coaches lack balls, management lack balls and the board lack balls.

That's a very fair argument. :)

It was my first 90 minutes watching Heart, and I guess what I'm trying to say is that things aren't as bleak as you'd think reading the Aloisi thread, or hearing fans complain about this or that player. It was only Redmayne who really played poorly, the rest was okay from a technical standpoint.

But you're absolutely right, the players either need a kick up the backside or the belief and confidence that only comes with consistent wins. Or both.

Welcome aboard the Heart then mate :) don't worry about the bleakness around here mate, you'll soon discover that this forum is the most bipolar place in the world. Wait for a win and the place will be buzzing and people will be talking about winning titles.

aint this the truth....

Apart from the last 10 minute fade out again... We did play some good football, worked the ball around the pitch quite well at times I thought. I think what we were lacking was the final ball in the front third. Needed to take more risks, have a shot, conditions weren't great. Need to put the ball into the box when we're on the wing, instead of passing back to the defense if we don't have a clear opportunity to cross. It pu's the pressure on the other team, and even if the cross doesn't go in, at least we could come away with a corner.. I don't think we won a corner until the last minute of the game. At times we had great opportunities on the counter, but the correct run wasn't made or our player was too selfish in trying to take defenders on when a better pass could be made or the pass made was the right idea, but wasn't pulled off.

Improvement in decision making in the front third required, change in mind set of players required to stop sitting so deep. Players need to believe in themselves and their ability, and more composure is required to retain possession in the dying minutes to see out matches.

That's a very fair argument. :)

It was my first 90 minutes watching Heart, and I guess what I'm trying to say is that things aren't as bleak as you'd think reading the Aloisi thread, or hearing fans complain about this or that player. It was only Redmayne who really played poorly, the rest was okay from a technical standpoint.

But you're absolutely right, the players either need a kick up the backside or the belief and confidence that only comes with consistent wins. Or both.

I think your reading of the game is right actually. It would have to be the best game we've played away from home this season, and until the last 15 minutes, I was pleasantly surprised to see us control the game and have good periods of posession. Something we haven't done at all this season away from home.

But . . .

- Sydney are terrible

- We didn't bury them

- And we once again fell to pieces under a bit of pressure

Edited by Sash