Melbourne Football

Round 15 - MHFC v Brisbane - Sun Jan 6th @ 4pm

Caddy

Not long home after checking out Big Bash with the membership deal. Nowhere near as entertaining as Heart, but almost saw my second "red card" of the day with Warnie.

Firstly well done to Yarraside - sounded great and I think really lifted the team towards the end and helped them hang on.

Usual midfield problems as mentioned above. It's embarrassing watching our passing compared to Roar, but their lack of bite in the final third for the first hour was just as bad. When they got their shit together it was a nail biting ride and Broich's chip to Beriaha was class.

Defence held up reasonably well, forwards were class and thank god Germano is back. Dont know what Willo was thinking but it was a pretty reckless challenge. Red was harsh but if you dive in like that theres always a chance you will be punished. Hopedully he'll learn from it as it certainly stalled any momentum we had. Thommo is so off the boil its embarrassing and as mentioned above we do have options i favour the Marrone/Walker plan. Fred just isn't as potent as we would like. For the second game this week I've seen Garcia trying to organise cover when we've lost the ball attacking (several times) and Fred simply ignoring instructions and the ball coming out easily. The look from Garcia to Fred is not great. I think the armband is on the wrong players' arm. Will be interesting to see if Edwards gets a run next week. At least some pressure on midfield selection to raise expectations.

Perplexing decisions from the ref(s) but we'll take the Tadic goal. Some fortune at last. The Garcia yellow still has me perplexed.

So to Sydney with Gol Gol to start, Edwards in and hopefully Germano with a new partner in DM.

• Like 3

Great effort by the boys today to hold on especially after Williams got sent off. Still questioning some of the ref's decisions during the last 15 minutes.

I know Fred had surgery during the off season, that might be the reason he is still struggling a bit

Why does JA have Hoffman on the bench and putting him on with about 30 minutes to go, your asking for it when you play him for that long. I would put Bolton on before Hoffman

Yarraside great to see the passion from everyone in the last 10 minutes with everyone joining in on the same chant and not having two different ones going at once, hopefully we can keep it up for the whole 90. Also great to meet some people at and before the game too

Seriously what the fuck was david williams thinking? We we're cruising all fucking game until he did a simon colissimo and got sent off

We look so much better with germano though in the line-up. Where was camron edwards today? surely he could've at least made the bench over hoffman.

I think the defence was very good today though, brisbane wern't making any clear cut chances until williams was sent off. You would think that a team that holds the ball for 60-70% a game would create a lot more chances in front of goal.

Great effort from Yarraside and the banner was spot on. Agree with many comments about the bench - perplexing. Our attacking can be as good as anything going around in the HAL this season and defensively we're pretty good except for occasional brain explosions usually revolving around Colosimo. Redders doing a very good job between the uprights.

But we massively fail in the middle. Thomo had a shocker - no way to sugar coat it - and Fred put his heart into it but he isn't the force he was last year. If we had a Mooy/Ono type midfield we'd be challenging for a top two spot. Hopefully Edwards provides something and Thomo spends more time on the bench.

Enjoyed the game more than the cricket, 6k soccer still beats 45k cricket atmosphere . Maybe the game is just more interesting.

Still not sure how we win, we look ordinary for periods, then get a through ball and score , must be luling them into a false sence of security!

The Last 15minutes were as nerve racking as you get.

Great start by Yarraside - was the initial chant coming from the wing? - thats what it sounded like from the swan st end.

Loudest ive heard in a while - Great work

The Roar Guys were also loud considering there small numbers. There basic chant (one only) got all there fans involved, not just the active ones . The guy leading was louder than any megaphone could produce ..... #somethinginthat

Till next week.

Seriously what the fuck was david williams thinking? We we're cruising all fucking game until he did a simon colissimo and got sent off

We look so much better with germano though in the line-up. Where was camron edwards today? surely he could've at least made the bench over hoffman.

I think the defence was very good today though, brisbane wern't making any clear cut chances until williams was sent off. You would think that a team that holds the ball for 60-70% a game would create a lot more chances in front of goal.

I'm sure that David williams didn't do it on purpose and in fact probably wasn't thinking, so the answer to your rhetorical question is probably 'nothing'. JA's plan was to concede space to Roar but control the dangerous space with a defensive press and to stay organised in defence. Our defence is almost good enough to do this at the moment so it is always going to be a risk - sometimes it'll pay off, sometimes not. As JA said in his presser, despite dominating possession they had only a few clear-cut chances. Roar's weakness is their transition into defence when they have a weak structure as players refuse to track back and JA exploited this with rapid counter-attacking. Unfortunately this style suits us better ATM as we don't have the midfield to have any sort of ball retention or ball speed required for a possession based game. Although the HAL teams are much better structured this season their vulnerability is still on transition into defence (with the exception of CCM and WSW who do it well) so a counter-attacking style is probably a good way to play this season.

• Like 1

Just watched a reply of the game, we were pretty vocal, loud as fuck in the last 10 or so mins.

Comedy of errors from the refs, complete joke. Both comentators couldn't believe how bad the officiating was and questions just about every second or third call from the ref. He really lost control of the game, but always glad to take the 3 points no matter how shit the calls or our game was.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Don't understand Aloisi at all. Once again no defender on the bench, and I can't understand what he sees in either Macallister or Hoffman.

A win, yes, but another nail-biter as we almost blew a 3-0 lead mainly because our midfield was missing in action. Thompson had another shocker, and he and Fred coughed up the ball so many times. Their decision-making is far too slow.

IMO Gerhardt just shaded it as our best player today.

Match award to a revitalised Yarraside.

You can defend by bringing on defenders but also defend by bringing on attackers. JA is/was a striker so no surprise what he prefers. It's less about the player than about how that player fits into the team structure, the tactics etc. JA's tactics worked well as we won. I suspect that we may see less of Hoffman once Edwards and Grella appear.

midfield was rubbish yesturday, freds goal makes everyone forget about his below par performance, matty thompson was rubbish and germano still looks like hes working himself into some match sharpness. Im reasonably confident Germano's form will improve, had a bad to average game yesterday. hope he eventually earns himself a new contract but the other two spuds should be shipped out at seasons end.

You might be interested in these statistics from FFA's website:

Melbourne Heart v Brisbane Roar

Possession: Heart 46% / Roar 54%; passes: 198 / 438; accuracy: 74% / 86%

Total shots: Heart 10 / Roar 18; on target: 6/10

Tackles: Heart 44 / Roar 34

Crosses: Heart 5 / Roar 35

Are Brisbane trying to get back to old ways or learning new ones? It’s hard to say; they dominated the stats against Melbourne Heart, with more possession and a much greater number of passes, shots and crosses.

The Heart, on the other hand, seemed extremely lucky to come away with three points, wilfully ceding possession to hit the visitors on the break. It hardly made for an entertaining game – until Roar got their act together in the final 15 minutes - but it worked. It was a win without confidence for Melbourne, who clearly still have a long way to go under John Aloisi.

Roar had little meaningful possession, JA's strategy was to cede meaningless space to Roar but to sit deep and press to control the important space. This is exactly the strategy that JVS used against Roar and our good record against them shows that they are still yet to come up with a solution. The game became closer than it would have been as a result of the send-off and shows that we still need to work on our 10 man game plan. I don't believe that we were 'extremely lucky' to come away with 3 points at all.

• Like 1

The win on Sunday was good for PR.

On Monday I saw one bloke in a replica home strip and two blokes at seperate times in Heart polo shirts whilst in the city. It might not sound like much but it is better than our clubs normal representation around town.

I know this as I am in and around Melbourne most days of the week and on weekends. Most days I see visitor garb but none of ours.

Perhaps we should all wear some merch and help promote the club?

Edited by Peter

On Monday I saw one bloke in a replica home strip and two blokes at seperate times in Heart polo shirts whilst in the city. It might not sound like much but it is better than our clubs normal representation around town.

I know this as I am in and around Melbourne most days of the week and on weekends. Most days I see visitor garb but none of ours.

you are gonna get 'them' started again... :droy:

i 100% agree though

you are gonna get 'them' started again... :droy:

i 100% agree though

Button up with a cap and Jason Hoffman badge :up: