Melbourne Football

Melbourne FC vs Newcastle Jest - NYD 2pm.

MHFCRC

Colossimo has improved ten-fold compared to his early season form, where i would mistake him for a person fresh out of the hospital having undergone brain surgery to remove half his brain (think back to his head bandage) that's how woeful he was. But now, i actually see some key interceptions and defensive positioning much more appropriate. He does however get caught on the ball too long, but that could be due to poor movement ahead of him too. Either way his performances could only improve, i can't imagine it getting much worse than what he was showing earlier.

All of a sudden 5th and 6th are within reach. It's amazing how one result can make such a difference. Only managed to catch the second half, but Heart seemed to be on the back-foot for the most part. Need to tune up the passing as well...there were several counters where a sloppy pass cost a genuine attempt at goal.

Well, a win is a win, and better to win ugly than not at all. Some good things today. Redmayne impressed with some really classy saves and clean hands. He had to make a play for the ball which resulted in the penalty. A touch late but plenty of keepers have done that and in his first game it at least showed some confidence to attack the ball. I loved his distribution from the back. To see our goalie hit a winger on the chest half way up the park ive not seen before. A vast improvement.

The dead ball situation was much better with Gol Gol. Corners that tested the opposition consistently in the first half were a real improvement. The kid was great and his finish fantastic.

I think The Aardvark hit the nail on the head. Transition, especially in the second half, was poor and Fred was the problem. He was hatching the ball far too long with Willo and Garcia creating multiple options that went begging. It was interesting to see him play the whole game - makes me wonder if Cameron Edwards is in the mix for Sunday. We'd kill for an AM with a killer pass.

Moving forward and watching today, I thought DMac held the ball up well and was a strong physical presence. Talking to a mate on the way home and we were wondering how we'd go with a "Germanic" 4-2-3-1 with DMac as the lone striker and an attacking line of Gol Gol/Willo, Tadic and Garcia. Tadic doesn't hold the ball up as well, but his distribution and vision are fantastic. Just a thought.

• Like 1

A win will cover up many sins.

That said, I'm going to enjoy the win and relief it brings tonight!

Gol Gol is a special talent. Needs some more refining but can be something else.

The sooner, Fred, Thompson, Colosimo and Hoffman are off the team the better. Colosimo does a couple of good things but then some absolute shockers. Fred is not good enough to start. Thompson slows the tempo down way too much and the mobility is shocking. Hoffman enough said!

Can't wait till we have some mobility in that midfield.

• Like 3

Fred looks off the pace a bit, especially today. Too many touches before finding the pass generally. I'd love to see Edwards slot right in for Fred as soon as possible. Thompson is still serviceable.

I'm not sure why we went with that particular bench today. Surely Vrankovic would've been a more astute choice rather than Hoffman/DMac (they both offer essentially the same, Hoff isn't a DM).

Still, a win is a win is a win. Onwards and upwards.

PS - too many competing voices in Y-Side today. Sing as one, listen to the capo and remember no one is bigger than the team out on the field. They're the reason why we're there afterall.

• Like 2

covers up a few of the cracks, but would have liked the game to be put to bed long before it was. Don't agree with a few posts about our midfield, thought Thomo had a great game. Same questions over Shimie and Freds passing, we could be going forward with Fred who turns back to Shimie who than proceeds to boot it out of the park. Hopeless.

Very impressed with everyone else. Redders had a great debut but GolGol, Tadic and Garcia where outstanding.

Great start to the new year. hopefully we can kick on from here, tighten up at the back and become a lot more direct in front of goal. The signs are there that we do have a decent team and when it does come together we can play good football.

Onwards and upwards

Take the win everyday. Our home form isn't that bad.

14 of our 15 points have come in Melbourne. Damning stat, let's get a win on Sunday and improve away.

After a win, you try to look at the positives, JVS needed even more time to get us playing consistant, we had a bit of luck in our streak this time last year. Let's hope Aloisi can get our team to gel and play the way we want.

Edited by mulhollanddrive

I thought Redders was great too. His organisation is very good and he is a good shot stopper.

More agile, athletic and I felt more comfortable with the ball at his feet rather than Bolton.

Gol Gol has put a smile on my face though, really believe he can be developed into something seriously special.

I agree with Ando, Cameron Edwards in the middle of the park please.

Can't wait for the day of a midfield three, Germano, Grella and Edwards/Behich.

Front three for me would be Gol Gol Tadic and Garcia.

Great to get 3 pts but it looked as if we had two very different teams. First half was what we're capable of and the second half was a shadow of that. Why? Lack of fitness? Need to start planning for next season now. Fred to spend more time on the bench and Thomo can join him. Hoffman OUT. JVS was never convinced of Colosimo and we can see why. We need leadership on the pitch. Gerhardt for Captain. Would like to think we can hang on to Garcia and Tadic. Cannot afford to lose Behich - he epitomises the hard word and Heart that we need in all our players.

Aloisi said it's Redders position to lose now. Bolton was always going to call it quits at the end of this season, and now begins the transition. He handled himself today, didnt kick up a stink, etc.

Edited by LR9

Our 11th win at AAMI Park. We were poor, Jets were worse. Again we had a very poor second half with an AWOL midfield, slow at transition too many back passes that were a result of having no forward options rather than clever back passes to create space. On a positive note, we were 2-1 up at half-time, just the sort of game we regularly lose this season so well done to the team but not really a performance to give heart to the fans. At least we won. :)

Aloisi is a slow learner - once more not a single defensive option on the bench.

Terrible second-half performance from us. The lack of team self-belief is palpable. At the end we were just like a boxer hanging on the ropes waiting for the bell.

Positives for me were Redmayne, Aziz, Gerhardt, Golgol, Tadic and Garcia. Colosimo was OK until his 'Mr. Bean' moments towards the end.

Yes, we won, but we were hardly impressive.

How many times did Colosimo attempt to clear the ball and kick it straight into a Jets player standing 1m from him? I lost count.

I was sitting opposite the Yarraside. So that means I sat very close to the Jets supporters. They were doing the "Simon Colosimo" chant but they were taking the piss out of him. I don't blame them. I think the whole league rejoices when he plays as they anticipate give away when he plays.

Edited by Tony999

They were doing the "Simon Colosimo" chant but they were taking the piss out of him.

A few in YS were doing that. Myself included. Simon Colosimo, Simon gives up the ball, Simon cost us a goal. Etc etc. I roffed

Also a big thanks to the people who continued to throw the soccerball around the crowd after it was kicked in by jets players at half time. Fuck ACG fun police

Haha, that was so great. The Jets players looked like babies whose ball was taken away. It involved the whole stand.
  • Like 2

Also a big thanks to the people who continued to throw the soccerball around the crowd after it was kicked in by jets players at half time. Fuck ACG fun police

Haha, that was so great. The Jets players looked like babies whose ball was taken away. It involved the whole stand.

Great stuff that, Fuck the ACG!

Don't understand how Thompson & Fred picked up votes for this game from Fox Sports. Tadic basically created both goals and was effective most times he got the ball albeit it didn't happen often enough.

I have this feeling January will be a good month for us like December last season when we didn't lose a game. Brisbane H, Sydney A, Adelaide H, WSW A all winnable IMO. Win on Sunday and then get atleast a point from the Sydney game & I wouldn't be surprised if we get near the 10K mark for the Adelaide game. Mon Heart!

Edited by MaliMate

Goodwin is a useful player, but IMO the club's stance that they wouldn't enter a bidding war for him was correct. Nice if we could have kept him, but we've got Golgol, and for the first time in three seasons we look dangerous at set-pieces and are actually putting pressure on the opposing GK.

• Like 1

Also loved how Behich & Goodwin were getting lippy to each other all game.

Makes sense. Goodwin basically admitted he is a shit kunt and no where near Behich's level by leaving solely because Behich was at the club. So Aziz was probably like "you mad brah?" all game.

• Like 4