Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

I'd take JA over Merrick any day, kick and rush football would be the guaranteed death of the club, even more so than our last season.

This is the exact problem with the way this club was setup.

For some reason we decided that because MVFC “Won” games and focussed on the “Results” of games, our angle for supporters would be about “How” we played the games and no so much it’s outcome.

Maybe if we had just focussed on also winning games like MVFC and most other Professional Sporting teams then would could got a good start and  some early Bandwagon Support which would perhaps have seen at least 50% more members by this stage.

I know I for one would take Steve Waugh over Mark any day of the week.

• Like 3

Sometimes I see some very scary parallels between Early MHFC and the Early Freo Dockers...

I guess we can draw something from the fact that Freo went from averaging crowds of 14,000 to those of over 30,000 in the space of a few years.

Sign Cam Schwab...

As far as I see it, Postecoglu is all about winning games; he gets his team out there and he tells them to go and win the game. Aloisi on the other hand is all about not losing games. He doesn't go out there to attack and be aggressive, he goes out there to defend and hopes to get lucky on the counter attack. This is backed up with the fact that we have the worst first-half record in the A-League. It can also be attributed to the fact that we've gone from playing one defensive midfielder under JvS to two under JA.

The funny thing is - I'm not even sure this is how JA wants his team to play. I think he wants them to play attractive and attacking football, but he just doesn't have the experience and/or the balls to get his players to carry out his game plan.

So you know what I say? Excuse my French, but fuck Aussie coaches - I'd rather get a competent (mainland) European coach who has the experience to implement his style of football and put any egos in their place.

JA has absolutely no senior team coaching experience. He hasn't even been an assistant coach to a senior coach, which makes him automatically the worst appointment in Heart's short history...if not the A-League's.

• Like 1

lol the only comparison you see between us and Freo involves Clive Waterhouse

Actually there are lot of comparisons to be made...

MVFC were started first so they had the relatively easy task of making PPL care about State/Hometown loyalty (Something that already exists amongst Australians) over older local/community loyalties from the NSL/VPL.

The WCE had the same setup and like MVFC were able to achieve this goal fairly easily by some fairly early success.

Freo on the other hand had to define itself as the second team to gain supporters and although they did a lot things right such paying homage to East and South Fremantle Football Clubs and the town of Freo itself they also made a very bad mistake that put the whole club five to seven years back.

This mistake was to instead of hiring an experienced Victorian coach they hired Gerard Nesham from  Claremont who was as famous for his love of coaching his teams to play attractive style of football as any success he had in the WAFL.

Then club basically marketed itself on the Left Field approach of the bloke with his very unorthodox coaching methods and weird beliefs on the game.

It was not too dissimilar with MHFC and JVS, in fact there are still Nesham disciples out there amongst Freo Fans like the JVS disciples we have who refuse to believe that a coach who did next to nothing was barely any good.

Does not anyone else think it sounds really lame when a supporter of your greatest rival knocks your Win/Lose record and you reply "We play attractive football"???

As it sounded lame when the Freo supporters said to Eagles supporters in 1997 and it still sounds lame when Heart fans use it today.

The Red and White Haze!

Good point, Freo starting growing a more proud, and fanatical fanbase when they finally got a Coach who wanted take on the enemy in Chris Connolly who consistently pushed at the Media about the Purple Haze, Purple Army and taking it up to the Eagles.

So to summarise 29 pages,

1) Not very many people are happy with Aloisi as head coach;

2) Those people want him sacked;

3) The Club has said he will not be sacked; and

4) The overwhelming opinion is that the Club should be focused on winning games, not so much on losing attractively.

• Like 1

4) The overwhelming opinion is that the Club should be focused on winning games, not so much on losing attractively.

What gave that away? I don't suppose it was the topic name?  :P

They really must focus on number 4, time to win games, even if it is at the expense of the attractivness

I can see us losing a third of our Membership due to PPL not wanting to sign on knowing we are going into next season with the same Manager that took us almost to the wooden spoon.

This is not AFL where PPL have supported their side from birth, this is a club that has played three seasons so why should newcomers to the sport (Inparticular PPL with kids) be expected to be loyal?

Exactly - especially when there is a very exciting, ambitious club as an alternative. We all know who that is. Heart set out to be different. Well, we sure are. Such as lack of ambition, poor recruiting, selling off players in January etc. etc. etc. etc. 

• Like 1

They really must focus on number 4, time to win games, even if it is at the expense of the attractivness

I don't agree, if we play good football then results will follow. People come for entertainment, football must be entertaining. Losing every game is also not entertaining, but winning with anti-football will not win us support

I don't agree, if we play good football then results will follow. People come for entertainment, football must be entertaining. Losing every game is also not entertaining, but winning with anti-football will not win us support

Boring, boring Arsenal... Won a lot but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Funny that you mention Arsenal, I was at Emirates Stadium in January with 65,000 other people
  • Like 1

This was really good to read, well done JA, this season shows that we have a lot to do in the areas of training, technique and tactical awareness. There's no better time to start than now

Actually boring, boring Arsenal gained that reputation during the 70s and 80s when they were largely unsuccessful. Just sayin 

Ok I might be 1 in a hundred when I say this but I believe Aloisi should not be sacked. Instead I believe that Aloisi should come out of the Van't Schipp 4-3-3 always works no matter what mould. Aloisi SHOULD be playing teams not a particular style that's what will win us games. We should back him to recruit players that suit his style. Then only then should we judge him. Give him a go!

Give him a go? he's had an entire year, incuding two transfer windows, yet repeatedly made the same mistakes and blamed everyone else for them.  He should be gone but the club's stuck with him cos of his 3-year contract, so we've got no choice but to be pragmatic and accept it.

At least he's made the right decision (assuming it was him who made it, but tbh not sure) on letting bolton, colosimo, fred and thompson go, athough my 13 year old brother could see it needed to be done so it's not exacctly a groundbreaking show of intelligence.

...so we've got no choice but to be pragmatic and accept it.

Well put, that's more to the point.

More to the point: WHY WOULD ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND GIVE A ROOKIE MANAGER A 3 YEAR DEAL?

Adelaide did with Coolen (actually I think it was 4), and Perth has done it with Edwards.

Do these owners/ CEO's have some mental disorder?

Give him 12 months, make him prove his worth and then extend it if he's good.

...so we've got no choice but to be pragmatic and accept it.

Well put, that's more to the point.  

More to the point: WHY WOULD ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND GIVE A ROOKIE MANAGER A 3 YEAR DEAL?

Adelaide did with Coolen (actually I think it was 4), and Perth has done it with Edwards.

Do these owners/ CEO's have some mental disorder?

Give him 12 months, make him prove his worth and then extend it if he's good.

Already said that numerous times and i totally agree with you, but right now there's no going back on it so we must look ahead.