Melbourne Football

David Beckham

MPM

Er, if you get 20,000 extra people in though the gate at an average cost of $35 per seat that's $700,000 per game...not to mention the corporates plus food and drink sales. Sure there are extra costs but I think you'll find the club has done its arithmetic.

Furthermore @biancorosso7, $120 x 15k shirts = $1.8m, not $180k

Heart have done well to be competitive in the race for Beckham. The fact is there was always going to be a circus over Beckham after his agent approached the FFA. It's probably exactly what Beckham and his people wanted: they want Beckham to be big news, and they probably wouldn't be happy with Beckham moving to Australia if reactions were subdued. Beckham and his management want clubs to come out in the media and campaign for his signature, as he is the celebrity star player and A-League clubs are relatively low profile (also he is about to play in the MLS final in several days. It would cause disunity within the team if Beckham came out in the media and said he was talking to & is interested in moving to other clubs). The fact that Beckham has come out and said he is looking for "one last challenge" indicates that A-League clubs have been correctly playing the game, and are doing the right things (campaigning in the media and talking to Beckham's people behind closed doors) to lure him to Australia.

Beckham has been massive for football in America, and there is no reason why he couldn't have a similar impact in Australia. Kewell, Del Piero and Heskey have all made a big impact in Australia. The only thing that could go wrong is Beckham injuring himself in the A-League. But even injury prone players like Kewell and Garcia have remained injury free in the A-League and have flourished.

Beckham would be nothing but positive for Heart. We have a great stadium with too many seats that are empty, and Beckham would ensure there are bums on most seats. He'd also lift our football as well. As noted, we'd actually be a threat from set pieces. He'd chip in a few goals (we've been kept from scoring in too many games. E.g., we didn't score against Perth, Central Coast and Adelaide). He'd help get the ball to our striker and help create chances to score. And his professionalism and experience would lift the whole team.

The only thing I can imagine being said against Beckham is he is another old player, and Heart have acquired too many veteran players this season. I think that's okay for one season (some of our old players, like Bolton, Grella, Garcia and Fred will move on next season). Also, we have the youngest coach and the youngest assistant coach, so i don't mind the amount of seasoned players we have at the moment.

Beckham would ensure Heart as a club have a solid foundation. Brand awareness, membership & attendance numbers and finances would all become very solid. He would lift our football as well. I think money will make or break the deal Beckham signs for whichever club, so it will be interesting how much money Heart can rustle up and offer. If Heart offer a lucrative deal comparable to the amount Sydney agreed to with Del Piero it will mean the club were very determined to sign him, as it would take a lot of Heart's resources and capabilities to sign Beckham. It would be an impressive show of what our club can accomplish, as it certainly wouldn't be like Perth or Central Coast, with a single mult-millionaire offering to bankroll a deal.

P.S. on our training facilities, I understand our club has had long negotiations with La Trobe university and local government to jointly fund new training facilities. It looks like La Trobe will pay half of the costs to upgrade training facilities. The club looked around preseason to see whether Heart's squad could train on a few different grounds around Melbourne if the club decided to upgrade the training facilities at La Trobe during this season, but it looks like they didn't push to upgrade our facilities now. I reckon they'll upgrade the facilities after the season has finished, over the several month look off-season, which would be sensible.

• Like 2

Furthermore @biancorosso7, $120 x 15k shirts = $1.8m, not $180k

and almost everyone would get Beckham and his number on the back?

itll add up to about $45 per shirt on top of the price of the top.

plus most of the members you would think would buy a membership the following year and get their family/friends involved also.

Beckham would ensure Heart as a club have a solid foundation. Brand awareness, membership & attendance numbers and finances would all become very solid. He would lift our football as well.

I agree with that ... but not if it's just a 10 games guest stint. How many folks can you imagine purchasing Melboune Heart jerseys with Beckham's name on it if they know he is leaving after those 10 games?

If we sign Beckham, it must be for the rest of this season and next season as a minimum or it's just a novelty act ... one which Ange Postecoglou has rightly and quickly dismissed as not wanting to have a bar of.

I really cant see him driving through those terrible roads in the Northern Beaches in peak hour myself (Which is from 7AM to 9PM) to get to Sydney.

I read in an article that the billionaire is offering to fly him in between in his helicopter

Edited by MPM

I agree with that ... but not if it's just a 10 games guest stint. How many folks can you imagine purchasing Melboune Heart jerseys with Beckham's name on it if they know he is leaving after those 10 games?

If we sign Beckham, it must be for the rest of this season and next season as a minimum or it's just a novelty act ... one which Ange Postecoglou has rightly and quickly dismissed as not wanting to have a bar of.

According to some media reports, Beckham could be interested in a longer term deal in the A League. But I assume that we can't offer him a regular contract at the moment because we don't have a visa spot available. Heart, and probably other clubs, look like they might be using the 10 game guest stint as a first step to hopefully a longer deal.

And with Postecoglou dismissing a bid from Victory, it's given us a completely free run in the Melbourne media. Even if he doesn't come, all publicity in Melbourne about Beckham is linked to us. Which I reckon on it's own has been a big free kick for us so far.

Edited by Sash

According to some media reports, Beckham could be interested in a longer term deal in the A League. But I assume that we can't offer him a regular contract at the moment because we don't have a visa spot available. Heart, and probably other clubs, look like they might be using the 10 game guest stint as a first step to hopefully a longer deal.

And with Postecoglou dismissing a bid from Victory, it's given us a completely free run in the Melbourne media. Even if he doesn't come, all publicity in Melbourne about Beckham is linked to us. Which I reckon on it's own has been a big free kick for us.

Just caught ABC-TV news. It was on there. Plus Fred interview and saying we were playing Newcastle this weekend. First time I have ever seen any pre-game Heart material on ABC.

...despite emailing Mongs to tell them they can come to our next game for free?

Don't think this is quite what it seems at first glance.

There's no way MV would let us have access to their membership list. My guess is that Heart has e-mailed people on the Heart 'contact list' (this is, AFAIK, a list of some 9,000 people who have at some time or other expressed an interest in the club) offering tickets to the Newcastle game. Some of those receiving the e-mail would indeed be MV members (BTW, some people are members of both clubs).

Just caught ABC-TV news. It was on there. Plus Fred interview and saying we were playing Newcastle this weekend. First time I have ever seen any pre-game Heart material on ABC.

Yeah, I had the day off and went to La Trobe this morning. There was some media, cameras, interviews being done. I've never seen so much activity at training. Channels 9 and 10 also had footage and interview footage with Scott Munn and Fred.

I don't want to get my hopes up yet, but imagine if he actualy came!

Really?

http://www.toffs.com/Brisbane-Lions/products/531/

This is a shirt that Toffs have been selling for years now, its selling point is the 4 game stint that George Best (The OG David Beckham) had at the Brisbane Lions.

NOTE: Yes its true, Roar fans can claim the coolest player of all time played for their club.

Thanks for everyone's maths notifications, changed accordingly.

Bandwagon members will annoy me.

More annoying than a mostly empty stadium? If we can win regularly at home we have a great opportunity to turn bandwagoners into true believers :)

If we don't win then it doesn't matter who is in the team.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

More annoying than a mostly empty stadium? If we can win regularly at home we have a great opportunity to turn bandwagoners into true believers :)

If we don't win then it doesn't matter who is in the team.

Well, the 5-7K faithful that turn up every 2nd week are there to see the team, regardless of composition and of form. The new 20K are there to see a 37-year old guy play 5 games to expand his bank balance. Plus, as has been stated here and in a number of other forums, the onus is on the club to make a progress growth in membership, not a rapid spike then steady decline. If the members aren't there in the tough times, why would they be there after Beckham leaves?

It would be wiser to do a ADP and strike a 2 season deal for a player of similiar stature and quality. Look what his done for the league and club. 20k attendances and something like 5-8k memberships signed up i believe? We need that gurantee of a player coming here and being part of a team rather than a guest and just taking his retirement tour around the globe.

But it is beckham after all and i keep tossing up between two minds but in the end if we get him it will only be good for the club.

Edited by United
  • Like 1

I would have thouht one of the chinese or middle eastern teams will trump the offers. I mean, this is all part of the plan for beckham and his management. Flirt him out and sell to highest bidder. There is no challenge in that mr becks, just pick the one offering most.

Seems like lifestyle is an important part. You would get a fuck load of money in both those countries but I would assume living there, especially the middle east countries, would be awful

That leaves Melbourne Heart and first-season club Western Sydney Wanderers the most likely destination for Beckham, who earned $6.3 million per season with LA Galaxy.

Just a speculative piece

Heart chief executive Scott Munn said that while there'll be a lot of clubs around the world in the running, he believes it is in with a big chance.

The current PR is great for our club. People at work were actually talking about Melbourne Heart today and wanted to continue to talk about our club even when I had to excuse myself to get back to work.

I think signing Beckham would only be good, even better if we could get him to sign for the rest of this season and all of next.

If nothing else, at least signing Beckham might encourage Marone to play up the wing.

• Like 1

So apparently its between us and WSW. So that pretty much means WSW will get him since they are bank rolled by FFA

I would think that having already granted WSW an extra visa player the other clubs wouldn't be too happy if the FFA bankrolled Beckham going there as well.

• Like 1

Well, the 5-7K faithful that turn up every 2nd week are there to see the team, regardless of composition and of form. The new 20K are there to see a 37-year old guy play 5 games to expand his bank balance. Plus, as has been stated here and in a number of other forums, the onus is on the club to make a progress growth in membership, not a rapid spike then steady decline. If the members aren't there in the tough times, why would they be there after Beckham leaves?

People who have never been to the A-League before - go to see Bekcham - also enjoy the warm summer's evening and good atmosphere - "We should do this more often" - buys 5 game membership - on mailing list for membership the next year - "We should sign up this year and get a good seat" or teenagers "I want to rip flares with the ladzz ey". Ergo memberships increase, good marketing for the club.

Plenty of possibility for future members. And tbfh, i couldn't care less if they're bandwagoners. Better to have bandwagoners and a club, than not have members and have no club.

Edited by Che
  • Like 3

I posted this in the "membership numbers and how to increase them" thread at the end of July.

http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/486-membership-numbers-and-how-to-increase-them/page__st__200#entry44376

I am still a bit in a daze hearing that we might sign Beckham (just saw another news break advertising our bid for him - even my wife looked amazed and excited).

As outlined in the linked post, the effects of these former top Euro players is great for crowds - both home and away. But as Sydney FC have shown, results are not guaranteed.

Having said that, it would be great to get both.

That's right, it creates an opportunity, it's up to the club and the players to make the most of the opportunity. If we can convert them into football lovers and Heart football lovers then the club will be on a strong footing.

Melbourne Heart makes $1.7m bid for David Beckham

Matt Windley

Herald Sun

November 21, 2012 12:00AM

MELBOURNE Heart last night submitted a bid for superstar David Beckham.

The Herald Sun understands Heart has tabled an $1.7 million offer for a 10-game guest player appearance from January 18.

Central Coast Mariners also submitted an offer yesterday, a package believed to be worth more when John Singleton's accommodation and catering is included.

Perth Glory was first to launch a bid and is believed to be close to $2 million.

"We tabled an offer by the close of business today and now we'll sit tight," Heart chief executive Scott Munn said yesterday. "We don't expect to hear anything for another 7-10 days at least."

And if anybody knows the impact Beckham can have on the A-League, it's Melbourne Heart captain Fred.

The first of Fred's five seasons in the US was 2007, the year Beckham made his Major League Soccer debut for LA Galaxy.

And the Brazilian, playing for DC United, had the best view in the house for Beckham's first goal - he was in the wall guarding what turned out to be one of those trademark free kicks.

"It was a good free kick," Fred said yesterday.

"I just told somebody today in the locker-room about it. It was a packed house (in LA). I think it was 30,000. His first game. It was huge.

"I tried to swap my jersey with him but he couldn't give it to me.

"The next game we played we swapped. I still have it and it still smells good."

The chase for Beckham's services intensified yesterday after Galaxy confirmed the 37-year-old's departure.

He will play his last match for the club on December 1, in the MLS Cup final.

"I've had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy. However, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career," Beckham said in a statement.

Fred said Beckham's impact would be "amazing".

"Oh my gosh. Every game was almost (a) full house," he said.

Fred declared himself a starter for Saturday's home clash against Newcastle after missing three games with a hamstring strain.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-makes-17m-bid-for-david-beckham/story-e6frfg8x-1226520714906

A-League's race to snare David Beckham for $2m

BY: RAY GATT From: The Australian November 21, 2012 12:00AM

THE growing list of Australian clubs interested in signing David Beckham will have to come up with at least $2 million if they want to lure him to the A-League.

It is understood the former England captain and Manchester United and Real Madrid star would command as much as $200,000 a game for a 10-match guest player stint.

A deal of that proportion would dwarf the money Sydney FC is paying Italian superstar Alessandro Del Piero for an entire season. Del Piero is reputedly on a $2m contract with the Sky Blues and is expected to trigger a second-year clause for next season which will guarantee him another $2m.

Beckham's massive asking price has done nothing to dampen the spirit of a number of A-League clubs, with at least four throwing their hat in the ring to secure one of the most recognisable sportsmen in the world.

Speculation Beckham, who is believed to be on a $6.5m-a-season deal with LA Galaxy, could be positioning himself for a stint here this season intensified yesterday when he revealed he was quitting the club.

Beckham announced via a club statement that he would end his six-season career in the US after the MLS final against Houston at the Home Depot Centre on December 1.

"I've had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy. However, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career," Beckham said. "I don't see this as the end of my relationship with the league as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future."

The Australian exclusively revealed on Friday that Beckham's representatives had indicated through prominent Australian-based player agent Lou Sticca that he was keen to play in Australia.

Football Federation Australia subsequently issued a statement confirming Beckham's interest.

Perth Glory, Central Coast, Adelaide United and Melbourne Heart are considered front-runners to capture the highest-profile signing in the seven-year history of the competition.

While Del Piero is a far better player and bigger name in a pure football sense, Beckham transcends sporting boundaries. Glory millionaire Tony Sage and prominent racehorse owner and businessman John Singleton, who has strong ties with the Mariners, have indicated they will bid for Beckham.

Within hours of the Englishman's announcement, Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull told The Australian that his club was "putting the finishing touches" to an offer to present to Beckham's representatives and would not be scared off by talk of the big money needed to get him. "Ours will be based on a whole comnmunity effort, just like our club," Turnbull said. "Obviously, Singo will be involved but we also have huge interest from other groups in the region.

"In terms of the money, I think every club knows what is needed. It won't scare us off."

Melbourne Heart officials also declared it was preparing a "compelling" offer.

Its chief executive Scott Munn told media he believed his club was in with a chance to sign him if he decided to come to Australia.

Asked what sort of chance he would give his club of pulling off the coup, Munn replied: "I can't put a percentage term on it.

"What I can say is that it's certainly real. We are putting forward an offer. It's compelling and the opportunity is here for him to come here. That is absolutely legitimate.

"Let's let David get through next week, play the final of the MLS and hopefully he'll have a win. Then, I'm sure he'll assess every offer."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/a-leagues-race-to-snare-david-beckham-for-2m/story-fn63e0vj-1226520702468

Looking very good. Trying not to get too excited.

This could make our club. We'd be the biggest A-league club by far in terms of international interest. Every single news station in the world will be reporting on Melbourne Heart and our crowds would immediately be right up there with SFC and the mongs.

Edited by Jimmy