Melbourne Football

MHFC Marketing thread

Ando

This was kind of what I was getting at before. I dont think the club even knows who it is marketing to, so how the hell are we supposed to?

As much as I agree that our public image needs a lot of help, I think that is more up to the club to worry about and sort out. As interesting as I find this topic, deep down I know I am wasting my brain cells, because its not as if the club are going to take marketing strategy tips from us anyway. We can make as many websites, youtube videos, posters etc as we want but the club wont give them a second look unless it fits into what they think the clubs image is.

My final post on this topic, and I'm going to agree with you. What we call a club is a syndicate that holds an A-League licence, nothing more and nothing less. They are a group of men (I think all male?) who presumably have good business acumen and therefore should know all about marketing and sales. Presumably they're satisfied with what they are doing, or they would do something else.

As we've said many times before, we members are merely season-ticket holders. Our part in the whole thing is to go along to games. I guess that if we're sufficiently pissed off with what we see then we won't bother to go in the future. It is what happens to all sports clubs when they're in the doldrums.

This is a very worthy thread and lots of good ideas have been put forward (as they were in previous threads on membership etc.), but if the syndicate really wanted our opinions it could easily ask us. Every week I get some e-mail exhorting me to make everything red-and-white, or similar, and it wouldn't be too hard to ask my opinion on something.

I think we know that no-one from the club follows this forum. One could ask what a fan engagement manager does to engage with fans, but I won't go there.

I think we can therefore conclude that no-one wants our opinions.

• Like 1

Just finished uni for the year, so this could be quite lengthy, and a bit off topic at times, but it's mainly a point of discussion to keep this thread going well.

I see that an issue with this league, and the image around it, is that it seems so tacky, and has from the start. For whatever reason, this league seems very 'USA' like, with the lame nicknames, bright basic colours and over used 'epic' voice overs. For example, I'd like to compare the two videos KSK posted.

Ours has overly dramatic music, intense voice-over and dark background effects, whilst the other celebrates what we really love about football, and the emotions that are attached, all whilst keeping a degree of class. Also, consider this; the Sky Sports ad is selling their tv coverage, yet show no footage of a match, and are directly showing the game day atmosphere instead. This is what people want to see, not key players running around in front of a green screen.

Whilst I know this is seen to sell well to the everday Australian, I feel it impacts on the respect that is held from those critical of the league. This could explain the eurosnob mentality that every Australian football supporter has witnessed. I have a suspicion that a large amount of these people don't actually care for quality of football, instead, enjoy the image, and because there is no street cred for the A-league, they'll prefer to stick with their sophisticated euro teams.

Whilst the rest of the world obviously makes ads to appeal to young families and impressionable youngsters, it's my opinion that they manage to maintain a degree of seriousness, and keep that sense of tradition. This is easy to do with a couple of hundred years of history, not so much for us. This club was very keen to describe itself as being a 'traditional' football club from the get go, yet when you market in the current fashion, I don't think that image is achieved.

Create some history behind the club, even if it is at a stretch. Use the Melbourne coat of arms, fill out a pub with supporters wearing a scarf, create a some culture. It may seem forced at first, but surely will be better than what we have at the moment. Take note of the Football culture sub-forum, do something that those with little knowledge of football might appreciate.

Sorry for all the pretentious bullshit really, I'd just like to see something with a little more soul produced in this league, and I get the feeling others would too, considering the clash of opinions when it comes to fan culture at this club. I personally can't stand this tacky shit, and whilst I love this club, I cringe whenever I see our latest promotion.

• Like 1

There's some interesting comments about blandness, and trying to appeal to everyone. What is the club focused itself on being the club for Melburnians, or at least used that in its marketing spiel. I know they do a hell of a lot of work in regional areas with community programmes, but if you live in Bairnsdale, how many games a year will you attend?

If you live in Brunswick/Armadale/Burwood, and you want to follow Heart, you'll get to a lot more games. The city is currently undergoing a massive population increase. A targeted campaign at Melburnians might do the trick? Use the City's coat of arms, look at the history a bit more etc.

Well......the city coat of arms and flag have the colours red and white.....obvious place to start!

I've suggested this in another thread. The 'sunny' east side of stadium should be premium C.. It's the side that's seen on the Fox cameras. Priced above GA, but below premium B. Fill the seats and make it more appealing to those watching the games on their arse. I've converted a mate who had this point to make. It looks empty and unappealing.

Secondly, I'd love to see some mini-scarves on windscreens. Sitting behind cars with these will get people thinking.

Soccer is now a summer sport.. Make some beach towels! Get people talking about it.

Scarves with number of years (like Hawthorn do) of membership. Very awesome, and the more scarves, the more colour. Even basic scarves would be great.

Promote the MHFC Vicroads plates. The more on the road, the more free publicity!

Word of mouth marketing

This by far is the best form of marketing. I've committed many hours of my own personal time, and if I were to charge MHFC they'd owe me many $1000s to build the HeartFan I've made. Make use of it, and spread the word. Refer a friend, and bring them under your wing for a few games and get it to try to get it to stick.

Right now it's hard to sell the product; wins win fans, but stick with it. Show them the fun they can have

• Like 1

I think we know that no-one from the club follows this forum. One could ask what a fan engagement manager does to engage with fans, but I won't go there.

I think we can therefore conclude that no-one wants our opinions.

It's time for a mid season fans forum with Scott Munn and the brainstrust. It's time to update us members about the 'club' or 'syndicate' and how it's travelling. It's time again to communicate directly with the fans that pay good money to help keep the team afloat. I kinda agree with your sentiments - but then again you may be wrong??

I think it would be good if there was a deal for members to get cheaper tickets for guests. I ask people to come along, but then feel slightly guilty asking them to pay $25. It's not a lot in the scheme of things, but paying that much for something they won't even know if they like can seem quite expensive. Maybe 30-50% off tickets if a member buys them. Something like that.

• Like 1

It's time for a mid season fans forum with Scott Munn and the brainstrust. It's time to update us members about the 'club' or 'syndicate' and how it's travelling. It's time again to communicate directly with the fans that pay good money to help keep the team afloat. I kinda agree with your sentiments - but then again you may be wrong??

Didn't Scott Munn say at the last fan forum that they were going to get a group of fans together to discuss marketing? Wonder if that ever happened.

I think it would be good if there was a deal for members to get cheaper tickets for guests. I ask people to come along, but then feel slightly guilty asking them to pay $25. It's not a lot in the scheme of things, but paying that much for something they won't even know if they like can seem quite expensive. Maybe 30-50% off tickets if a member buys them. Something like that.

Not a bad idea tbh. It'd be better at 10-20% off so it doesn't work out cheaper than actually having a membership.

We should be doing more of an effort attracting AFL supporters. Hawthorn had around 60,000 members this season, why not align with a club like them and get them to include free entrance to the first 3 heart games in their memberships.

Yuck. I'd rather align with the Melbourne Tigers or either Melbourne AIHL Club tbh.

We should be doing more of an effort attracting AFL supporters. Hawthorn had around 60,000 members this season, why not align with a club like them and get them to include free entrance to the first 3 heart games in their memberships.

What and alienate ourselves from the other 9 Victorian clubs?

AFL wouldnt have a bar of it anyway.

IMO we should be doing everything we can to replicate the things that Victorian Families love so much about going to AFL/Being AFL Members to get them to be Heart supporters in the Summer.

Whether u like or hate AFL: Let’s face it the figures dont lie, it’s a winning formula in terms of Membership, Female Viewership and with Families.

However Scott Munn has had experience as a AFL Club CEO of sorts so I am sure he is already trying to make up ground in this field.

Edited by cadete

Plus like others have said, a couple of free guest tickets for members.

This.

Collingwood and Carlton both tried the AFL/Soccer thing a few years ago. Collingwood started off brightly and then dropped away, Carlton did o.k. but didn't really attract the support.

As said elsewhere, if you align with one AFL club you generally alienate supporters of the other clubs.

I just think we lacked depth with our Marketing initiatives this season. I was totally oblivious to the Heart billboard in Clifton Hill, it wasn't until someone pointed out it was a Heart billboard did i start to take notice. It's not even Red, its Maroon. Our advertising dont even say the word "Melbourne' or 'Heart' or 'Melbourne Heart' or 'Red & White'.

In my view the 'Play Your Part' slogan and the 'Then We Go Again' slogan does not work. Amateurism.

Agreed, the current advertising does not stick out at all. The dark ad's do not attract attention and even then are uninspiring. Try flicking through the sports pages of the Herald-Sun the week before a home game and find the ad. It will most likely take two or three attempts (or maybe I'm a bit challenged).

People complain that soccer isn't as 'exciting' as afl or rugby due to the low scores.

Fine, we can fix that, play a game with no offside rule. People will be banging in goals

every 5 minutes, and the scoreline will probably be 21-22 or some shit like that. Afl or rugby fans

will start to think 'this soccer shit is pretty good' than when we get 20,000 members swap the rule BACK

so the offside rule is now valid. Too late for those silly fucks who have already signed up for memberships.

i call it 'the venus fly trap' plan.

• Like 6

I agree with the person who said that they need more Youtube videos. They have gone really quiet on that regard.

Just have loads of interviews, training videos, pranks and gameday videos with members of the squad. Anything to get the name out there.

I don't know why they got rid of Heart Access All Areas, those are the videos that will bring people in. By the club not giving us anything, it almost feels as if they excluding people.

• Like 3

No way. As a Pies fan, if we aligned with Hawthorn I would find it hard to support the club. If we aligned with Carlton I wouldn't support the club :P Maybe an alignement with the Melbourne Tigers? They play at Hisense at 2 and then we play at AAMI at 5, half price tickets for those attending one who wants to go to the other.

• Like 1

2XU Partnering with Heart

2XUlogo.135552.png

High performance sports apparel brand 2XU has unveiled a powerful new weapon in its elite alliance portfolio; this time in its home city with Hyundai A-League’s Melbourne Heart FC. Under the partnership, 2XU will supply its highly acclaimed Compression apparel to Heart until the end of season 2012/13.

Edited by Deviate

Very strange indeed. Images from the past two seasons? If it wasn't about a football club it has all the characteristics of a 1980s travel advertisement.

Lol, I thought the exact same thing its heaps like the kind of thing u used to see on TV advertising Adelaide or Perth.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen the ad campaign for the upcoming 20/20 Big Bash season?

http://www.bigbash.com.au/news-and-videos/2012/11/14/its-showtime

Interesting that they are trying to make it "cool" and attract a newer, younger and more fashionable crowd to the game. Although I think the use of DJs, tron lighting, low tech drum and bass, etc is a textbook use of everything "youth" by someone who I can only assume has about as much knowledge of current trends as a mild mannered public servant- I still think it might be an idea for the club to look into a similar strategy. Just steer clear of the DJs and tacky exposions.