Melbourne Football

Sunday 28 October - 3:00pm - Melbourne v Mariners

Heart>Victory

A win, draw and loss to start the season; let’s get some momentum going by beating the Mariners

Grella I assume should be fit to play and colosimo should also come back in...so who will make room??

I wouldn’t mind seeing this 4-3-3

Bolton

Marrone Colosimo Gerhardt Behich

Garcia Grella Fred

Dugandzic Macallister Williams

Bench:

Germano

Vrankovic

Thompson

Redmayne

• Like 1

No Tadic?? I've seen the "sack" thread but a tad too premature really. The only way to build confidence is to play him, put faith in him and if need be a rocket up him. He wasnt the only one below par on the weekend and he has performed in style before. Ultimately it will come down to what's going on internally at the club and how he's responding to the coaching staff. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall for those discussions. Over to you JA!!

We've beaten CCM only once in six outings. Another home draw looks on the cards to me.

Grella won't play.

Not sure of the readiness of Germano and Golgol. Also didn't Garcia pick up a calf strain or something?

The team will depend on how patient Aloisi is. For the moment he'll probably stick with what you've got except Thompson for Grella. Bench Redmayne, Tadic, Vrankovic and Germano.

Any more crap like Perth however and he'll have to make some changes. It might be useful to give a handful of under-performing players a rocket.

This was the status of our injured/out players on Saturday:

Outs: 4. Simon Colosimo (Suspended – one week), 14. Golgol Mebrahtu (fitness – one/two weeks), Jonatan Germano (Fitness – undisclosed), 19. Ben Garuccio (international duty – Qantas Young Socceroos)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Preview-Thommo-expects-tough-time-in-Perth/50816

Against the Mariners we've lost 4, drawn 1 and won 1. 3 of their wins though were lucky 0-1 wins (and 2 of those 0-1 wins had their winning goals come from corners). The only bad loss we've had against the Mariners was that 1-3 loss in Gosford, where some shocking refereeing from Gerard Parsons allowed them to get 2 illegitimate goals (one from fouling the keeper, another from a BS penalty). At AAMI Park we've lost 2 (our first game 0-1, and a 0-1 loss with a late Kwasnik goal), drawn 1 (1-1) and won 1 (1-0).

IMO we've always held our own against the Mariners, and we should have got more points out of our games against them. That 0-1 loss due to Kwasnik's goal was the biggest smash and grab game I've ever seen, where we thoroughly outplayed the Mariners and came away with nothing.

The Mariners have had an indifferent start to the season, standing equal with us on 4 points drawing in round 1 (0-0 against WSW in Sydney), winning in round 2 (1-0 against Perth in Gosford) and losing 1-2 in round 3 against the Jets in Newcastle.

I think we can gets points, maybe 3, from this game. But it depends which Melbourne Heart team turns up.

• Like 2

IMO we've always held our own against the Mariners, and we should have got more points out of our games against them. That 0-1 loss due to Kwasnik's goal was the biggest smash and grab game I've ever seen, where we thoroughly outplayed the Mariners and came away with nothing.

That was so painful. That was the week we had three games... and won none of them if I recall correctly.

That was so painful. That was the week we had three games... and won none of them if I recall correctly.

Yep, three games in a week, and all at AAMI Park. 2-1 loss on Sunday, that shock 1-0 loss to the Mariners on Wednesday and a 1-1 draw to Brisbane on Saturday. Tough games to have all in one week, but some pretty decent performances against strong teams.

colosimo to slot straight into CB with Vrankovic to go back to the bench seems to be the only predictable change at the moment.

I'd like to see Germano/Mebrahtu or even Garuccio taking Hoffmans spot on the bench.

I'm assuming we'll have Tadic coming off the bench like he has in the last 3 weeks, but i just hope this week Aloisi brings him on as a straight swap for Macallister around the 60th minute to give him some decent time in his preferred position. Tadic and Macallister aren't the quickest of players, and are very similar in how they play, so i find we lack variety up front when we play with both of them.

What sort of crowd do we expect for our second home game?

Between 7-8 i think...anything over would be a bonus

We really needed to beat Wellington with some attacking football to get some of those vpl fans back for more..anyone know our membership count (4,000??)

5,246 @17th Oct.

I really think Germano and Thompson are battling for the same spot, as is Garrucio and/or Mehbratu with Williams and/or Dugandzic. Marrone is quite lucky in that there isn't a RB pushing him for his spot. The others need to really step up, otherwise, Aloisi may give the fringe guys a go. Particularly when guys like Vrankovic step in and step up.

Hopefully we play a lot cleaner football this Sunday.

I think we'll win 2-1, but probably only in the 2nd half.

Marrone is quite lucky in that there isn't a RB pushing him for his spot. The others need to really step up, otherwise, Aloisi may give the fringe guys a go. Particularly when guys like Vrankovic step in and step up.

Cannot agree enough on Marrone, what is going on with him the last two games?

He is normally the most reliable player we have by far in our back four by his been having a few brain fades of late.

Hopefully he returns to his normal self on the weekend.

Also agree on Vrankovic, I reckon this kid could be a star...

Cannot agree enough on Marrone, what is going on with him the last two games?

He is normally the most reliable player we have by far in our back four by his been having a few brain fades of late.

Hopefully he returns to his normal self on the weekend.

Also agree on Vrankovic, I reckon this kid could be a star...

Not sure about if this is a possible suggestion, but if Marrone continues to struggle, could we play Vrankovic there, so that back four would be

Vrankovic - Gerhardt - Colosimo - Behich

???

Gerhardt would be a better right back, he's played a lot of football there before, so has Germano in fact.

However MM is a protected species at the club. don't think he'll lose his spot anytime soon.

Give germano a go there i reckon. Last time i saw Germano play right back, he destroyed them down that right side, and nothing got passed him

is Marrone still the only player to have played every single game?

actually, more to the point HAS he played every game?

I think he missed one game last season. Bolton has missed two. They have the highest numbers of appearances for the Heart.

Edited by jw1739

Agree with some of the posts about Marrone. Also feel the same about Behich and Dugandzic, all of them over rated by Heart fans too imo.

I'm not saying they are shite and we should sack them etc. but if players aren't performing they should be dropped regardless of who they are/what they've done before.

No Germano, Garuccio, Vrankovic or Grella for at least a few weeks though so I think they will get a couple more matches but I would like to see Thompson at LB and Germano at RB at some stage this season if Behich and Marrone don't improve.

Agree with some of the posts about Marrone. Also feel the same about Behich and Dugandzic, all of them over rated by Heart fans too imo.

There are a lot of journos saying that Aziz deserves a national team call-up, so implying that Heart fans are the only ones who fully rate him is a bit rich...

• Like 1

Well once grella is fit there is going to be a huge squeeze in midfield which can only be a good thing. However, can't see us getting any points this week. But I agree with a post I think was on this thread that Garcia has been our best player so far. With grella in the team it's going to free Garcia up.

Ill tell you one thing we need week in week out. Is the intensity we had in the derby. The two weeks after that have both been lackluster, no where near the same amount of effort.

Edited by Dylan

As much as i love Dugandzic, has had a shocker couple of weeks for me... And much so vs Perth.

Only put in one decent corner or freekick for the game, and usually the ball was cleared by the first man. Also when he was one on one almost, he took a tad too long and got blocked by Jamison. Pretty fustrating but he obv has shown what he can do, like in the derby...

Dugandzic probably is the biggest under-performer at the moment, but we saw it last season as well, he was either amazing or quiet. His lack of consistency is really annoying as when he is playing at his full ability he can be best player, and can really change the game single handedly, just doesnt do it enough.

Dont see why Behich is being singled out though, the whole team is under-performing, I dont think he has been as bad as some others.

Edited by Tesla

we shouldn't be expecting our young players to be performing at their potential every single week. We have to remember that they are still young, developing footballers and will always have ups and downs.

If anything, it should be the more experienced players that should be getting the criticism because we should expect more from them. They're supposed to be the more consistant performers, and need to lead by example. I don't care which player it is, whether it's Bolton, Thompson, Fred, Colosimo, if they're underpeforming then i don't have an issue with giving players like Garuccio, Mebrahtu, Gray a chance to prove themselves.

we shouldn't be expecting our young players to be performing at their potential every single week.

Yes we should, if your in the best 11 you need to perform every week to keep your place. But, while most of the squad gets penciled in each week, there are a few who get jotted down in permanent marker weekly.
  • Like 2

IMO these last few posts are really focussing on the point that we're all trying to make. We just do not seem to have the intensity, the hunger, the 'going that little bit extra' - whatever expression we want to use - that the other teams show. And this is not something new - it's basically been there right from the start.

And IMO this comes back to leadership and coaching. For me the measure of JA and his team will be whether they have the balls to make some tough decisions. We don't lose any of the core values of the club by raising the bar on performance.

• Like 2

That's very disappointing news. So he's probably going to miss the first quarter of the season at least. With Grella not ready and no idea of when he might be, and Garuccio and Vrankovic on international duty, we're back down to 17 players for the next few weeks. Not much room to move there. Won't surprise me if Germano is released at the end of this season.

I understand that Germano is here on a base of 50k. He accepted this offer as he had not been paid while at his previous clubs. I believe 6 months, but stand to be corrected.

He is worthy of a 2 yr extension, however i expect he will be tempted back to europe.

He came here from South America and has not been in Europe since a small stint in 2009...

I love the guy but he needs to start play each week before we offer him a 2 year contract, and I doubt with his injury concerns that his really on the radar of many European Clubs.