Melbourne Football

Adrian Zahra Appreciation Thread

Jimmy

If Eli, Hoff and Good get one then Zahra is more then deserving of some man love. Not only is he a very promising talent he's also a top bloke. If it wasn't for that scum bag that shall not be named he'd be fighting with Mate for that spot on the wing. Get back amongst it soon buddy.

Discuss.

• Like 1

He is Maltese.

And I have a feeling it's going to be a while before we see Adrian come close to making the first team. The injury has really stalled his progress, just hope that he has stunted it.

But even if he was fully fit and firing, I couldn't see him appearing reguarly anyway, we've got a lot of depth out wide.

He is Maltese.

And I have a feeling it's going to be a while before we see Adrian come close to making the first team. The injury has really stalled his progress, just hope that he has stunted it.

But even if he was fully fit and firing, I couldn't see him appearing reguarly anyway, we've got a lot of depth out wide.

he's Maltese-Italian, which is essentialy Italian.

He's perhaps just below Mate in terms of ability. I have no doubt he'll be making regular appearances by the end of the season.

he's Maltese-Italian, which is essentialy Italian.

He's perhaps just below Mate in terms of ability. I have no doubt he'll be making regular appearances by the end of the season.

Uhh, no it isn't. That's definitely something an Italian would say / think.

Anyway, can't wait to have the Maltese terrier back!

Edited by Caddy

Take it from someone who has watched Zahra in 3 youth games since he has recovered from injury, he is nowhere near Dugandzic, and the only way he is going to get a crack at the first team at the level he is playing at is if Dugandzic, Williams, Worm, and Germano are all injured.

He isn't a shade of the player he was last year. He has been robbed of his deadly pace and touch. Severe knee injuries will do that to you.

The whole situation reminds me of the Simon Colosimo/Ashley Cole incident. What a player Shime could have been if he'd not been hacked by Cole. What I'm trying to say is that his career is not over, but he's got a lot of hard work in front of him to get back on track.

He's a fair distance off making a senior appearance, still has to get some km under his belt and play a full 90 in the youth team before getting a look in for the seniors. I'd be willing to guess that he'll be a RB once he returns, simply because he'll get to pick and choose a bit more when he goes for dashing runs and he mentioned to me a while back that he prefers RB to RW.

It will be a long time before he is recovered from this injury completely.

As mentioned, its not really the physical issue...

Even after the body recovers, he will need to regain full confidence is using his knee and pushing it to the limits, and that is going to take at least a few more months.

Imo will be hard pressed to play senior games this season.

• 2 weeks later...

' timestamp='1327449823' post='4998']

I reckon he might be a good chance to play off the bench in the Derby. With Behich, Babalj and Dugandzic all most likely going, we need to fill in those spots.

Would love nothing more then to see him come on and score the winner in the Derby. I'd go right off lol

yeah the pre-game show before the heart v brissy game they said his first apperance just might be the derby hopefully it is!

Played in the NYL yesterday, he played the full 90 and also scored a goal, promising signs for Zahra.

His hard running, endeavor and hardness at the ball was at a massive contrast to his other NYL games this year...

It was good he scored the "Goal" but his performance in general was the real positive, I have to admit I was getting worried for Zara about ever recovering but I now think he is going to be alright after what I saw on Saturday.

Yeah agreed, didn't think he was ever going to recover, was a serious injury which has kept him out of the game for a while, love to see him back to full fitness and playing in the 1st's squad very soon, but would hate to rush him into the squad when not up to full fitness.

The goal was good and his endevour was ok, but as with most things NYL the movement off the ball could've been a little better, and I think that reflected his kind of average pass completion rate.

That and it was ridiculously hot.

I'm looking forward to him getting back into the first team, he's definitely a great prospect with Marrone pretty much gone at the end of the season.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Perth Glory have released Adrian Zahra after two seasons with the A-League club.

Zahra, 23, made 18 appearances and scored three goals for Glory after being signed by Ian Ferguson back in 2012.
The winger burst onto the scene with Melbourne Heart in 2010/11 during a trial period and was rewarded for his early form with a two-year contract.
But his period with the Heart was marred by an ugly tackle from then-Melbourne Victory skipper Kevin Muscat in January 2011 which cruelled the rest of his season.
Zahra struggled for game time under Glory's ex-coach Alistair Edwards, a fact that fed into player ructions leading to Edwards' sacking.
He will be best remembered by Glory fans for the two goals he scored  against Wellington Phoenix and Melbourne Heart in the recent campaign, which were followed by stunning acrobatic celebrations.

Wouldn't be surprised to see JVS bring him back as he'd be on a fairly low wage and became a regular during his time at the club. While not an out and out attacking winger he was always good when away from home with his pace on the counter and willingness to defend, something that Mate doesn't offer often enough.

• Like 1

If we want some quality visa players were gonna need players on low wages to fill up the spots. Would be a good pickup imo for cheap and he's a melbourne lad.

We already have enough average wingers on our books for next season.

We have enough average players full stop.

• Like 1

He will be best remembered by Glory fans for the two goals he scored  against Wellington Phoenix and Melbourne Heart in the recent campaign, which were followed by stunning acrobatic celebrations.

It's saying something if you will be best remembered for your goal celebrations...