Melbourne Football

Do you even care about the socceroos?

Jimmy

I find my interest in them constantly lessening. They're a bunch of 30+ year olds playing in obscure asian leagues, their attendances have plummeted and you don't really see the huge interest that was there from 2005-2010. Prehaps the novelty has worn off? They were the first football team I followed but now days Heart is so so much more important to me. I don't find my self caring that much about the result unless it's a WC game.

Anyone relate?

Its well known that I really do not care about the NT - Except for a fleeting interest in the WC.

TBH I care more about the Wallabies as they are the only team i support full stop in Rugby Union which is a fairy popular game in my family.

I would say the same about the Aussies in Cricket - However due to the regular presence of fuckwits chosen for the side, I can often fall in out of love with the team.

ill be interested for the 2018 world cup when all of the older generation move on and we may even see a team like this:

-----------------Langerak--------------

Herd----Williams-----Good------Zullo

------------------Luongo----------------

-----------Amini----------Rogic---------

Vidosic-----------Babalj-------------Oar

Bench: Federici, Ibini, Hamill, Tombides, Leckie, Rukyavitsa etc.....

All of those players will be around 24-28 in the prime of their careers, established players, hopefully at good clubs in high quality leagues. Mind you that's not including players that will break through in the next few seasons. There's a lot of potential in the 2018 world cup squad IMO

Have often wondered if our current nt squad is a result of the downturn in the nsl at the end of its tenure. There is a lack of players in their peak footballing years that would have come through around the end of the nsl and a-leagues beginnings. the lack of a stable national comp will have harmed plenty of talented players chances of making it in the game. We have plenty starting to make their way now but will be a few years before they are at international standard.

Starting to lose interest, there seems to be an old boys club firmly entrenched in the NT. Even the style of play has becore negative, too ofter relying on physical dominance rather than technical supremacy to win games.

The generational change needed to start at the Asian Cup, or at least in every friendly possible. Unfortunately Holger appears to think his only job is to qualify for Brazil and not also build a sound platform for the future in the process.

The first game of live soccer I ever saw was the Socceroos play Columbia at the SFG in 1995 and have followed them ever since. I have watched them serve up some absolute garbage since then but i will ALWAYS support them. I dont look at them as some kind of branch of the entertainment industry, like a film that gets boring so you turn it off.

• Like 1

OK I was bored by their performance just like the rest but if it wasn't for the Socceroos there would have been no money from Foxtel to set up the HAL. And on another point I hope that JA and JD were watching that miserable performance and making sure that we don't replicate it in any fashion in HAL8!!!!

I do - to a point. I think anyone who is critical of the NT does actually care, they might just not be interested in the current squad.

There's always a fine line between keeping te old guard and blooding new players, and I get the feeling this is why some people are turned away from having an interest in the NT, too much of the former and not enough of the latter.

I will always support Australia when we are playing but it's definitely club over country for me.

Don't really have much interest going to games though as they are usually against shit opponents at shitter times and the crowd is full of berks. Will usually watch on TV though, unless its a pointless friendly with a pack of shit cunts playing at 6 in the morning.

As for AL clubs being feeder clubs for the NT. Fuck that. Why would have 3 foreign players and most of the Aussies over 30 if we were trying to develop future socceroos?

I care, just atm I'm frustrated seeing the older guys take the spotlight in the starting 11, it's like they lived the glory days of 2006 and still cling onto the national squad expecting the same vibe to occur at another world cup etc. It's also been debated through the newspapers I read during the 2010 wc. I'm not sure if it's their resume that persuades foreign coaches for our team that keeps them there, but I would like to see more new guys in the team that could give us an insight of our main squad in the future. Is Mark Schwarzer still good enough? Surely Federici could have taken the no.1 spot by now, I've liked his season at Reading recently and I'd hate to see him not get much time to play for Australia considering he's 27, Mark is 39.

Edited by Young Polak

Yes, I care.

But it's a bit like the A-League - not enough football so the connection with the fans is not strong enough.

Most of the time it seems that the NT is playing some obscure country somewhere half-way around the world or otherwise inaccessible, or if a 'home' match somewhere other than Melbourne. And, as has been mentioned, so few home-based players in the team. Take the last game in Melbourne - we're 4-2 up. David Carney - David who, from what club and country was that again? Uz-bloody-bekistan? Whereas Osieck couldn't give our own Michael Marrone even 5 minutes?

FFA make it hard to follow the NT by having Foxtel showing games. It is the same thing with the A-League. Who would rather be cramming around a small computer screen watching a b grade stream rather than watching the official coverage on a large flat screen? My children know most of the Wallaby players but hardly any of the NT players or those of other A-Legue teams as the TV deals don`t encourage regular viewing of gemes. International rugby on the other hand is on free to air which makes it more accessable and so you watch it.

When I was yonger I made trips to Sydney for WC qualifiers etc. and watched all NT games. Now I can`t watch the games on TV as I refuse to pay out $800 a year to Foxtel and so I am loosing interest in the NT. It is easier to follow Barca than the Aussie national team because they are on free to air.