Melbourne Football

Our Australian marquee man

n i k o

Exciting news but if he is going to be our Australian marquee, shouldn't we be looking at shoring up our left defence rather going after cahill?? There is where we are weak as well. I think once garruccio is back this won't be an issue

Exciting news but if he is going to be our Australian marquee, shouldn't we be looking at shoring up our left defence rather going after cahill?? There is where we are weak as well. I think once garruccio is back this won't be an issue

Hope so man, I am not a big fan of Ramsay

We won't be going after Cahill, especially now since it seems we've signed Kennedy. Besides I wouldn't be surprised if the Cahill rumour was only ever a rumour and never had any substance behind it at all. 

But yeah no doubt that last visa place will be used on a defender (probably a LB). I wouldn't be surprised if the reason JVS doesn't play Garuccio at LB is because he doesn't want to waste him there. Duff is only here for one season and he no doubt is being used to mentor Garuccio so that he can replace him as the first choice LW next season. In that respect, having him at LB would waste that opportunity. 

Did you see Garruccio play at left back last year?  Has a similar knowledge of the defensive needs of the position to Ramsay (or possibly less).

I would like Heart/City to us Duff's year for Garruccio to learn the art of playing left wing from the master.  He needs a lot of work if he's going to convert to left back and i wonder if its worth the effort and the 10 or so goals it will cost.  

I think it's pretty clear that Cahill's name was tossed around to try and distract everyone from Villa leaving. Not a chance in hell of being our Australian marquee. It will be Kennedy.

Yes. In fact the whole article I saw as a smokescreen to deflect attention from the poor PR of recent days. If you read it carefully it actually says nothing that hasn't been said before.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty clear that Cahill's name was tossed around to try and distract everyone from Villa leaving. Not a chance in hell of being our Australian marquee. It will be Kennedy.

Yes. In fact the whole article I saw as a smokescreen to deflect attention from the poor PR of recent days. If you read it carefully it actually says nothing that hasn't been said before.

Test to see if things have changed #27.

If a high profile name is used in a presser and not used as a distraction/way to get people talking about us.

Exciting news but if he is going to be our Australian marquee, shouldn't we be looking at shoring up our left defence rather going after cahill?? There is where we are weak as well.I think once garruccio is back this won't be an issue

We won't be going after Cahill, especially now since it seems we've signed Kennedy. Besides I wouldn't be surprised if the Cahill rumour was only ever a rumour and never had any substance behind it at all.

But yeah no doubt that last visa place will be used on a defender (probably a LB). I wouldn't be surprised if the reason JVS doesn't play Garuccio at LB is because he doesn't want to waste him there. Duff is only here for one season and he no doubt is being used to mentor Garuccio so that he can replace him as the first choice LW next season. In that respect, having him at LB would waste that opportunity.

I could see the club getting both. Kennedy gets two and half year deal front loaded. Thus marquee this season under cap next season. Allows Cahill to be signed for next season

Everyone keeps talking about front loading contracts. Is there any precedence for this? Seems like it would be something the a-league would clamp down on if it started being done.

Its done in most codes and would certainly be happening in the A-League.  Happens with a most of the major signings in the AFL such as Franklin, Boyd etc. 

Everyone keeps talking about front loading contracts. Is there any precedence for this? Seems like it would be something the a-league would clamp down on if it started being done.

Its done in most codes and would certainly be happening in the A-League.  Happens with a most of the major signings in the AFL such as Franklin, Boyd etc. 

Marquees by definition (i.e. payments outside the salary cap) have to be approved by FFA. Just can't see FFA allowing it. Theoretically you could pay the player's entire salary in the first year and nothing in a second year, thereby allowing another marquee the following year.

• Like 1

I don't think its actually that hard to sell Kennedy the dream and get him to sign under the cap.

He has injury issues and his family are already based back in Melbourne anyway. It may just be a case of him wanting to keep playing but is happy to do so at a reduced salary, with a role at the club in some capacity after he is finished playing. Its happened before.

Although I think he will likely be the Australian marquee, stranger things have happened :)