Melbourne Football

*SPOILERS* - Game of Thrones Episode Discussion

Duchess

Thank god his boring ass is dead.

i actually didnt mind Stannis.

death of Shereen aside, Stannis always seemed honourable and likely to make a good run of things - albeit a very hard and sometimes harsh man.

always made me think of Ned Stark, just a little less logical and more stubborn.

find it ironic that he died the way he did since prior to the start of the series his brother King Robert (or at least my take on the discussions from some of the earlier books) kept him away from Storms End in part for Stannis' inability to truly inspire (and in part to hold dragonstone).  the fact he fucks himself over in the way he loses support  / inspiration after his 'decision' with Shereen shows his complete idiocy, but anyway ....

Edited by mattyh001

I posted somewhere #TeamBaratheon... What a fuck up that was... I should stop supporting teams. Melbourne Heart done fuck all, Carlton are fucked, Stannis is self explanatory...Commentators Deviants Curse

Did Stannis actually die in the show or is it only implied?

I posted somewhere #TeamBaratheon... What a fuck up that was... I should stop supporting teams. Melbourne Heart done fuck all, Carlton are fucked, Stannis is self explanatory...Commentators Deviants Curse

Did Stannis actually die in the show or is it only implied?

The scene cut away as Brienne brought down the sword. So somewhat implied...

• 10 months later...

I think the the blood that is left on the snow is emphasized enough that it will play a roll later on.  

We saw with Thoros that the more he uses his powers, the more he weakens. This could be similar to red tits - thus explaining her aging/weary self. 

She has also taken off that necklace once before and not felt the effects of aging. In saying so - the necklace doesn't hold her power to stay young and/or she has cast a spell so powerful that it's effected her aging. 

Keen to see who Ian McShane plays. He isn't credited in the opening credits, nor is he credited on iMDB. This makes me think that his role is small (screen time only). But he will have prolific effects on a main character. I can also see him being a part of dragon tit's timeline. - possibly even Tyrion's. 

thought the first episode was a little bit of an anti climax, but then again it is the first episode - the directors are always gonna do a fair bit of setup for the rest of the season.

i loved the Dorne scenes, if only to say its funny when characters fuck themselves over out of spite.  think Cersei with Barriston Selmy, Stannis with his daughter / the Red woman, Theon Greyjoy in taking Winterfell - all characters who fucked up because they got too cocky to realise they were doing the wrong thing until it was too late.

5 hours ago, Nate said:

fuck I hate resurrection stories, they're so tacky and cheap. 

Highlight of the episode was definitely Ramsay giving his old man a cheeky one in the guts, that caught me off guard.

Agree, the Ramsay bit was the only part of the episode you couldn't see coming a mile away. Man this show has gone downhill. Very average episode (just like the last couple of seasons tbh) that are extremely predictable and often times very lame. It has gone from being a pretty good adaption of a very good book series that was dark and serious and genuinely interesting, to lots of pointless cliffhangers, very little storyline progress, and attempts at becoming a comedy. Maybe if I hadn't read the books I wouldn't be so synical, but I'm really starting to lose interest in the show.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Agree, the Ramsay bit was the only part of the episode you couldn't see coming a mile away. Man this show has gone downhill. Very average episode (just like the last couple of seasons tbh) that are extremely predictable and often times very lame. It has gone from being a pretty good adaption of a very good book series that was dark and serious and genuinely interesting, to lots of pointless cliffhangers, very little storyline progress, and attempts at becoming a comedy. Maybe if I hadn't read the books I wouldn't be so synical, but I'm really starting to lose interest in the show.

I only read the first book so that isn't an issue for me and by and large I'm still in love with the show, I just feel like it's all a little direction-less at the moment. Arya's arc in particular is going absolutely nowhere, and Daenerys just needs to get the fuck over to Westeros already.

Also, where has the most interesting character in the series (Baelish) disappeared to?

Edited by Nate
  • Like 1

That was shit. Tyrion dragon comedy was cringe and bringing back a dead character is fucking stupid. It undermines one of the best aspects of the show that anyone can die at any time. What's stopping you conjuring up a spell to bring back anyone now? Shit precedent.

Also, despite all this shit happening why does it still feel like nothing has happened since Joffrey died?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

That was shit. Tyrion dragon comedy was cringe and bringing back a dead character is fucking stupid. It undermines one of the best aspects of the show that anyone can die at any time. What's stopping you conjuring up a spell to bring back anyone now? Shit precedent.

Also, despite all this shit happening why does it still feel like nothing has happened since Joffrey died?

Because Tommen is a dreadfully boring character with pretty much no personal conflict against any of the major houses, just that cult.

Probs needs to be killed off already tbh.

47 minutes ago, Tesla said:

AND WHERE IS THE SEX?

No tits = shit episode tbh.

But in all seriousness I have absolutely no idea where they're planning on going with anything at this point. Season 5 was ten episodes of absolutely nothing happening, and season 6 looks like its heading the same way. John Snow was always going to come back to life, because he's a major part of the endgame (if you believe the theories) but they still managed to make it tame as shit. Why build up tension and suspense for it when everyone already knew it would happen? Looking forward to seeing a headless Ned Stark being brought back to life by Sansa's love or some stupid shit like that. Also if old mate Davos was going to convince Melisandre to bring somebody back from the dead, why would it be some guy he barely knows when his mentor/lord/king/brother-in-arms Stannis is dead in the snow just over the wall?

And as @Jimmy mentioned, that whole scene with Tyrion and the dragons has to be one of the lamest scenes the show has ever produced.  Why are they trying so hard to make the show a comedy? Last season with Jamie and Bronn's little bromance banter thing, and now this season with shitty one liners from Tyrion (who is usually quite well spoken and intelligent in his humour, especially in the books) and cheap slapstick jokes; ie the giant smashing the nights watch guy against the wall and the Mountain getting peed on then smashing the dudes head against the wall. I know I'm carrying on a bit but it's really pissing me off. Doesn't mean I'll stop watching it, because just like Melbourne City I'm invested now so I'm stuck with watching mediocrity.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 1

Am i the only one who didn't see the dragon scene as an attempt to be funny but an exposure of one of Tyrions major character flaws; he was clearly shitting himself so he defaulted to pretending it wasn't serious.

the resurrection wasn't surprising as Jon Snow is azor ahai reborn, not Stannis.

my predictions for the rest of the season; Bran will have a vision confirming R+L=J and cleganebowl (get hyped)

tl;dr first EP as a book reader that hasn't pissed me off in a while 

13 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Sorry but the precedent was set way back in Season Three with Thoros when he brings Beric Dondarrion back to life after he loses a duel with The Hound. In fact Beric then mentions to Ayra how he has been brought back several times. I just thought everyone took it for granted that this was what was going to happen to Jon Snow except via the Priestess who we know is located in the North.

Clearly the great battle victory she has seen is Jon Snow and Wildlings winning back Winterfell... and there is something else that I thought most people clearly worked out about Jon Snow these days meaning there is no way he would not survive the whole show. 

What I hate the most is the Ninja Turtles/Xena Warrior Princess of Dorne, why can their not female characters who strong and ruthless and determined fighters on the show that can just show these characteristics to the viewers. Instead these characters seem to indicate that for a woman to be a good warrior that they also have to chuck out fucken sassy one liners and sexual innuendos the whole fucken time. Its a load of crap and I actually kind of find it sexist TBH.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1