Melbourne Football

Nick Kalmar

Jimmy

Melbourne's own, Nick Kalmar!

A guy the club should be marketing now and in the future. Creating our own local stars is vital, this guy (despite how premature this post may be) looks to have a massive future ahead of him and a type who puts bums on seats.

A highlight video of his trickery, good soundtrack, cool effects and his goals, with a message to join Melbourne's own, Nick Kalmar and the Heart.

Also just on marketing we need to own "Melbourne". People refer to the other mob as Victory, I implore our fans to keep referring to us as Melbourne or Melbourne FC. Let's start owning the brand, which is "Melbourne".

• 1 year later...

Was thinking about Nicky (and to some extent his "injury buddy" Germano) the other day.  How long has it been since Nicky has had a proper pre-season?  I'm thinking its at least 2 years.

Most on this forum (me included) have been pretty negative on Nicky, who despite giving glimpses of class, he has failed to prove himself at A League level.  Well if his injuries have been the cause of that we'll know pretty soon.  He must know his career is at the crossroads and he has to edge out Mauk, Murdocca, Melling, Brown, Retre and Germano if he's going to continue to be a pro-footballer.  Be interesting to see if he can surprise us by doing just that. 

IMO Nick is in his final year with the club. It's not pleasant when this happens but he hasn't come along as the club had hoped. It's just reality that we have better players than him on our books (and off them).

Edited by jw1739

I've always rated Nicky. Rarely loses the ball, has vision and a nice technique. His lack of pace and agility, on top of his laziness and inability to take control of the match, are his biggest weaknesses. I remember writing on here before last season that this was his best chance of making a mark. It pains me to say that he was mediocre.

He needs a preseason and a string of matches with decent players around him. I reckon his output would increase significantly.

I had high hopes for Kalmar but I do feel that he has failed to reach any real level of consistency, due to injury and what may well be work ethic.

The latter point is just an observation, which may well be off the mark, but he really plays the game in a less than enthusiastic style, which plays into that view I have if him.

He has the talent to do well but if he doesn't deliver this year, a new contract will not be deserved.