Melbourne Football

Paul Reid

Ando

Good signing I reckon- as i recall Reid was the star in the pissants run to the Asian Champions League final. My only problem is that run was a few years ago and if he's as good as I thought he was, how come he's available mid season? He is 32 apparently BTW.

All in all given our midfield injuries definitely worth a punt (if he plays to his best form we'll be unstoppable) and a shrewd signing by our club.

Paul Reid played for the first half of today's NYL match against Brisbane, which Brisbane won 5-1. The score was 1-0 to Brisbane at half-time. Heart's overage players in this game were Reid, Colosimo and Maycon. Mattei and Ibrahim also played (they both qualify under the age rules).

Reid seemed to me to be playing in a defensive midfield role. Pretty hard to tell who's doing what against a Brisbane side who played pass-and-move as well as or better than their senior team. Reid obviously has not played for a while. He took time to get going, gave away the ball on a couple of occasions, and was caught in possession as well. Understandable in his first game after arriving only a few days ago. Seemed to do better as the half progressed. Didn't look to me as though he will burst into the seniors immediately, but I may be wrong.

• 1 month later...

That's a shame I thought he would have been with us as a great depth player for the rest of the season. He served us well and is a good guy.

Well we have a full roster available now so probably couldn't have extended his contract even if the club had wanted to, but in any case the club seems very keen to keep costs down and that might have been part of the original short term signing plan.

I think he did a good job- very professional it seemed as well. Everyone should remember that his signing was actually VITAL. No sooner was he available then Sarkies went down and we only had 2 fit midfielders. In the end he did enough to impress the gaffer who preferred him over Srhoj and Germano last game.

Clearly good enough for the A League still, be interesting to see if that was it or if he pops up somewhere else.