Melbourne Football

SPECULATIVE Striker Options for 2012/13

biancorosso7

inb4 some stupid 10 game deal is made.

Whilst I'm excited by the rumour, I do share some of the sentiments of FB.

Huge player, bigger than Kewell, massive statement and all, but it's the complete opposite of that so called youth policy crap the club keeps going on about, just as it's been shown to work.

We sell two young players for reasonable amounts, both identified as future talents, and then spend the money on a close to retirement player? Complete backflip.

I'm against the idea, but a huge signing will always create excitement.

fwiw the club didnt say they were against signing a big international name, only that they were against getting a marquee/big name player for the sake of having one or only to pull in crowds. if there was a player who would be a marquee that they felt would benefit the club on the pitch (and we could afford etc) they would get that player.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 4

Could also be seen in helping develop young strikers - imagine Zac Walker learning from Michael Owen and JA instead of just JA, that sounds pretty fucking boss to me

I personally wouldn't be able to use that as a justification for the spending involved, would prefer him in a coaching role for that situation.

fwiw the club didnt say they were against signing a big international name, only that they were against getting a marquee/big name player for the sake of having one or only to pull in crowds. if there was a player who would be a marquee that they felt would benefit the club on the pitch (and we could afford etc) they would get that player.

Well how does he benefit the club then? How does any marquee benefit a club?

I agree that the crowd pulling idea is bullshit, it's been proven to be incorrect. However, I'd categorise him as the same kind of player as Kewell and Fowler, a once huge name looking for a retirement club. This doesn't match what I personally think of the club.

All that being said, I am seriously 100% on the fence for this one though, I'll be happy if he signs, and equally as happy if he doesn't, and we spend the money on a bunch of talented kids.

9N8nM.jpg

Edited by AyeCee

The "Talented Kids" stuff can only take you so far up the table in such a minor League as ours, as shown by the departure of Eli straight after his breakout season and most likely Good before he really left a major impression on the League.

• Like 1

CRESPO FFS! Too late he went to India? Wtf? Lol

Can we get saviola? Too young still lol

Batistuta? Ortega?

I give up!

Surely we could get a gun South American striker. They seem to pop them out faster than Toyota makes Camry's. Hasn't Germano got any friends? Perhaps he needs a housemate.

People need to realise Heart is not strictly either a youth team or a 'big name'/veteran team. No team is strictly one or the other, because teams are inevitably a mix of both.

In season 1 we had Sibon, Skoko, Aloisi AND youth like Hamill, Behich, Babalj, Kalmar, Zahra etc. Overall, Heart's team to my judgement mostly depends on our many top young players and a few veteran/'big name' players. So if we ended up signing Michael Owen our team would be the same it has always been (season 2 was more youth heavy, but we still importantly had Fred, Colosimo, Madaschi).

I think Owen would help Heart with crowds, would help our young players develop and would help us on the pitch in general with his quality (and hopefully score a bag full of goals). I also think the off the pitch benefits of a marquee player are overrated, but I believe Owen would significantly help us on the pitch, and that on the pitch success would fuel membership/attendance growth a lot more than would result simply from Owen becoming a Heart player.

It would be a coup signing, I think it could happen but it's probably unlikely, but IMO it would be a coup signing that we should all welcome.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6

Viduka played at NUFC with Owen. Dukes is a part time MHFC fan and friend of Skoko. Skoko put us on to Gohard. Mmmm, surely not.

As some have said, he would not be coming for the money. He's already loaded. He is massively into horse racing. Mmmm, I wonder.

Viduka played at NUFC with Owen. Dukes is a part time MHFC fan and friend of Skoko. Skoko put us on to Gohard. Mmmm, surely not.

As some have said, he would not be coming for the money. He's already loaded. He is massively into horse racing. Mmmm, I wonder.

Good thinking but nah surely not!

If we could get Owen... Wow, just wow. I would also forgive him a bit for abandoning us in the Championship!

exactly the type of player we need, and not too old either. The problem with us the last 2 seasons has been that we create many chances, don't take them and end up losing 1-0 (mariners game when kwasnik scored), or draw 0-0 (2 of the derbies last season)

A player like owen is a natural finisher. Give him one chance, one on one, and he'll put it away. Hopefully JD can pull it off.

Not really seeing where Owen would fit into the system if we stick with 4-3-3, a lot of our play is concentrated down the flanks with crosses into the box. Not sure a 5'8" striker is what we need, especially an injury prone 32 year old one at that.

if we got owen...i can assure you...we will make him fit into our system lol...

Transfer thread gone, and I know that this is for strikers but we can put to rest one defensive possible signing - http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/245222,spiranovic-signs-for-qatar-club.aspx

What is the world coming to......

Change the white bedsheets to black, add two machine guns and it looks like a captured U.S. soldier signing a confession of his sins.

22 year old australian midfielder

Serie D is classed as a 'non-professional' league in Italy. Not much above village football.

• Like 2

after reading a few articles linking owen to other clubs, i can understand why a move to australia would be good for him.

obviously he wouldn't be looking to play for the money as he is very well off which is a bonus for us as we wouldn't be able to afford huge wages, even with all the transfer money received. One EPL club has reportedly offered owen a "pay as you play" contract so by the sounds of things, his body may not be up to playing a full season in the premier league, or Europe for that matter. We've got a very short season here which would appeal to him and also the lifestyle he would have in melbourne will be great as apposed to what he would get in the middle east.

JD hasn't been too vocal on twitter lately, despite all the tweets he is most like getting with this owen talk, and usually he is pretty quick to shut down any false rumours.

in response to signing michael owen as being against what the club has said about promoting youth and not signing a big name, JD tweeted:

John Didulica@Jdidulica

@tgR_tsuru @Steelinho 11 of 17 players being 25 or under is youthful by any definition. And even Ajax signed the Laudrup brothers as cream!

interesting that he didn't deny it

They've probably never heard of him.

Natalie182 asked SM and JD on twitter if there was any truth to the rumor of Melbourne Heart chasing Michael Owen.

SM replied:

"proven goal scorer, would be great in Australia".

That is neither confirm nor deny. We have seen in the past that when something is not going ahead, the club will categorically deny it or will be extremely honest in their response, e.g. Christeas, Hernandez, Kewell etc.

Very intriuging response by Scotty.

Check out the words JD uses in this article:

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2012/07/10/3231935/frontman-remains-the-goal-as-melbourne-heart-look-to-bolster

'proven goal scorer' - exactly the same as SM.

Maybe it means something.....

Or maybe I'm just bored and overanalysing things, as obviously we need someone to score lots of goals!

Christian8 - says the club is talking to a huge international striker, the biggest name to come to the league yet.

Then says the board were to meet and talk to sponsors last night.

Ozsportsinsider - tweets last night that a deal for Owen has been struck.

Rumour not denied by JD and Munn.

Now, I don't trust ozsportsinsider or Scott Munn at all. But with the good word from Christian8, I'm open to the possibility. Just waiting for my favourite insider to get back to confirm it. Where are you Christian8?

• Like 1

Tweets from SM basically say 'Don't let the truth get in the way of the story I just read', which I interpret as an oblique reference to the Michael Owen rumour.

I would suggest that the club is happy to let the rumour run. Rumours can deflect attention away from what's really happening, giving the club a better chance of making a good signing without someone else jumping in with a last-minute better offer.

people give shit to that 'ozsportsinsider' guy on twitter, but lately he's been pretty spot on with quite a few predictions (most recently said alex wilkinson heading off to korea tomorrow, which was officially released a few hours later)

the latest on michael owen he said in reply to someone:

yes that's a huge 1. Hope it happens for the league, I too very cautious, but like I said very good sources & know offer made