Melbourne Football

Tinkler hands in Jets License (RIP A-League)

MTP

Was only a matter of time before Tinkler had a tantrum and left behind another mess. Anyone who knows anything about the racing industry will know how he operates.

Was never the right person to have the license but as there akin to selling a cancer, well beggers can't be choosers.

The brat then gets the spotlight off the finals and on the day of the a-league awards. Why the license was $5million is anyone's guess but something is only theoretically worth what the market will pay and he paid the asking sum.

Good riddance his gone to be honest.

As for the league, well god only knows what happens next.

will, or can FIFA step in and strip us of our "officialness" (fucking forgot english today... please someone fix my sentence, hopefully got the meaning across lol)

probably what i was meaning to say, is.... if FIFA see us (FFA and the A-League) dicking around, teams going broke etc, can they decide to penalise the FFA or even unrecognise them as the official body of football in australia

Hilarious how much of the public has been conned into viewing these gluttonous Mining Oligarchs as some kind of saintly figures.

They are rorting this country of millions of dollars in tax. Trying to take over our media, and twist the government for their own selfish greed. Fuck 'em.

Only mistake FFA ever made was letting these pricks into the game who never gave a fuck about the code in the first place.

Since they arrived they have used the clubs and the league as their own personal play toy to gain media coverage and column inches in the national papers for their own personal betterment, and in the process destroyed everything the football community has been working so hard to build in the first place. A fucking blight & cancer on the code, nothing more.

As for Tinkler, he has completely dogged over Newcastle fans. Really feel for them atm. Had their club pulled out from underneath them without any forewarning, so that their owner can take his issue with the FFA to the national headlines.

No warning whatsoever that there was discontent amongst their club's leadership. No warning whatsoever that their leadership intended to end the club should things not change. First bit of news Newcastle fans get is a shitty 4 paragraph press release from Hunter Sports Group this morning saying that their club is over and they should blame the FFA.

Well sorry, that's not good enough. Newcastle Fans & Football fans in this country deserve a lot better.

I mean 15 minutes warning to the FFA that they were not going to continue running the club, before they went national with a press conference? What kind of professional organisation behaves in such a manner? It's clear to the proverbial Bling Freddy that they ended the club because of gamesmanship with the FFA, nothing more. And it's fucking pathetic for them to do that.

Good riddance to the fucking lot in my view. Am far from the FFA's biggest fan, but here they are not the villain in this. Only problem now is the FFA has put everything in the piggy bank on the New West Syd team, not leaving much else to fix this shit storm.

But by all means, continue the hero worship of megalomaniacs like Clive Palmer. Genuinely hilarious reading from where I'm sitting....

These "Mining Oligarchs" using clubs "as their own personal play toy" is the only way the league was getting sufficient investment given the situation the FFA has created. They couldnt even find investores for West Sydney, which has probably the best market in the country for an A-League team. Nathan Tinkler has shown he has a genuine interest in seeing good things happen in Newcastle, and was making great moves with the Jets. The FFAs poor management of the A-League, which discourages investment through stripping A-League licences over nothing amongst other things, has scared Tinkler off. Regardless, the man has still committed $1m a year to grassroots football in Newcastle. I think that kills most of your agrument TBH.

Your post has no foundation in reality. Lets look at the situation:

1. No one is investing in an A-League team as a business investment, there isnt enough money to be made for the risk.

2. There isnt enough money and benevolence amongst football people in this country to fund 10 A-League teams out of their goodwill and love for the sport.

Has to come from somewhere if you want a league.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Hey guys. I solved all the A-League problems. Lets have a 20 team competition, all clubs owned by the fans. Then we dont have to deal with all these evil investores ruining our league. We will also build a brand new stadium for each team ASAP. Also we will sign Messi and Ronaldo.

Like my post guys cause its got great ideas and stuff, or I'll have to delete it to maintain my likes to posts ratio.

Thanks. xoxoxo.

Love how everyone goes for Buckley's head straight away, because it's the usual, get a clue you fucking idiots, take a look at it through the business mind & the realistic mind.

Let me remind you he didn't pull the pin, they did, so stop being so ignorant, and actually look into it a little deeper before going for his head.

How is it in anyway his fault the HSG aren't honouring the 9 or 10 year contract for the licence, how is it his fault that it's announced at this very bad time, it's actually very cringeworthy that he is blamed for pretty much everything because of previous events. The FFA have tried now with both Clive & Nathan tried to organise a meeting in advance, where both have been called off with very short notice, both have put the game & league in disrepute, it's a fucking disgrace, these tight, ignorant business tyrants with no interest in OUR game don't belong here, both Gold Coast & Newcastle deserve better, without Newcastle this league will hit a huge set-back, the fans & the AUSTRALIAN football community deserve better.

Stop blaming Buckley & the FFA because someone else do it, they are far from in the wrong here.

• Like 2

look at it through the business mind

Ok. Its pretty simple business logic that you dont make a deal which gives the person a significant incentive to renege. For example, you dont charge them $5mil for an opportunity to lose millions of dollars, especially when you are charging others much less for this pleasure.

You want more "looking at it through the business mind". Well I'll tell you exactly why Tinkler abandoned the licence. Because he has seen another case of the FFA stripping a licence for pretty much nothing. Now why would Tinkler go and put more of his money into the club when tomorrow the FFA could turn around and take away his licence making all his investment worthless? He decided to cut his losses now rather than chase bad money with good.

How is it in anyway his fault the HSG aren't honouring the 9 or 10 year contract for the licence

When searching through the incoherent set of pejoratives and ad hominems that is your post this is the only actual argument that seemed to be there.

You dont actually know the terms of the contract and whether there is any way out of it for HSG. I'm sure there is given that they wouldn't have pulled the plug if they had to pay all the money they were going to put into the club anyway once they get sued by FFA. So then this is a similar situation to the FFA terminating Gold Cost's contract, just the other way around, and with Tinkler actually having a far better reason for cancelling the deal than FFA did for cancelling Gold Coast's.

Next.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Mate, get off your high-horse, you're only disputing my post where you have sufficient and I admit a lot more knowledge than I do, you're a fucking spastic for taking the side of morons who don't have genuine interest for the game & if you can't see how they put the game into disrepute time & time again, you're seriously deluded. Coming from a guy who's dad was supposedly a frequent regular down at Preston, I thought you'd have more understanding & more sense when it comes to clubs & that the community deserves & cherishes & the improvement & forward step of our game.

• Like 1

Mate, get off your high-horse

Your right, my response was a bit cavalier, but when I see every second word being "fucking" or calling people that disagree with you spastic, mindless, idiots, it illicits that sort of response from me.

you're only disputing my post where you have sufficient and I admit a lot more knowledge than I do

No, that was the only real argument I saw. The was the bit about the meeting, thats contentious and the parties have made different claims about it and we have no way of knowing what actually happened. The rest of your post was just various forms of fallacies, appealing to emotions, insults, etc.

you're a fucking spastic for taking the side of morons

This is what I'm talking about. This isnt how you make a proper argument.

you can't see how they put the game into disrepute time & time again

Has Tinkler ever put the game into disrepute before these events? Palmer, sure. But I think the FFA has put the game into disrepute more than the both of them combined.

Coming from a guy who's dad was supposedly a frequent regular down at Preston, I thought you'd have more understanding & more sense when it comes to clubs & that the community deserves & cherishes & the improvement & forward step of our game.

Tinkler, in his short time, done more for his club and the community than any other owner in the A-League has, and now due to the FFA's incompetence he has left. But he has still committed $1m per year to grassroots football in Newcastle, showing that he does still care about the community and moving the game forward, he just no longer believes in putting his money into anything to do with FFA due to their incompetence.

Palmer tried to run a financially viable club, something we need if the league is going to survive with combined losses being $27mil a year. Not reigning in costs has been the downfall of many a club, both domestically and internationally. Pretty much all the things he was criticised where done in trying to achieve this. he put millions of his own money into trying to achieve this.

With the current administration at FFA, I dont see the game moving forward or improving or clubs surviving in all honesty. 1 more investor pulling out some time soon and its all over. The house of cards collapses. And I dont know where we go from there. Something needs to change at FFA ASAP.

Anyway, its a pointless discussion really, and there is some blame on the parts of Tinkler and Palmer as well obviously, but for there to be something positives going forward blaming Tinkler and Palmer or disregarding one person ownership of a club in the future isnt the answer, whereas making some changes at FFA is.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

No wonder he does care about a club dying...

His own father supported Preston?

And he ditched dying Preston to support Altona JUST.

Nuff Said.

Completely irrelevant.

Tinkler, in his short time, done more for his club and the community than any other owner in the A-League has, and now due to the FFA's incompetence he has left. But he has still committed $1m per year to grassroots football in Newcastle, showing that he does still care about the community and moving the game forward, he just no longer believes in putting his money into anything to do with FFA due to their incompetence.

Palmer tried to run a financially viable club, something we need if the league is going to survive with combined losses being $27mil a year. Not reigning in costs has been the downfall of many a club, both domestically and internationally. Pretty much all the things he was criticised where done in trying to achieve this. he put millions of his own money into trying to achieve this.

With the current administration at FFA, I dont see the game moving forward or improving or clubs surviving in all honesty. 1 more investor pulling out some time soon and its all over. The house of cards collapses. And I dont know where we go from there. Something needs to change at FFA ASAP.

Spot on.

Tinkler saved Newcastle from oblivion, and turned them from a dying club with little community support to a real pillar of the community. Everyone knows about the Jets, whether or not they care about them. To go from barely anything to having the 2nd biggest membership base and 3rd largest crowd averages in just one season is a real testament to HSG's resolve.

The FFA are a national disgrace, the football cancer has started to rear it's ugly head again in this country, and as a football fan I'm getting fucking sick of the continuous displays of utter incompetence and I don't know how much more shit I can tolerate.

Newcastle won't die.

Edited by Hendo

I really do not understand your point:

Tinkler can easily afford to honour his contract with the FFA and keep the Jets going.

But according to you he should be congratulated for handing the license back and ending the Football Club?

You clearly do not like when ppl post things on here that you deem irrelevant.

Considering he has the ability to keep the Jets going but instead has chosen to kill the club, I think Tinker’s having performed good deeds for the Jets in the past is the most irrelevant fact of all.

Edited by cadete

The A-League needs to mitigate against risk by moving away from single owner franchises. Granted, based on the level of investment out there, in some instances there may be no other option.

In general, there needs to be more due diligence with regards to those in positions of power, both within the clubs, within the FFA and within A-League management. If you get the wrong person in the job, things will always go to crap....no matter how much money, no matter how well qualified, no matter how smart, no matter the impact on others (the fans and the employees of the clubs). The higher the profile the job, the more damaging the fallout.

At times Buckley seems to be out of his depth and there is something about him which is not very likable. He may be a smart guy who knows his stuff, with great learnings from the AFL, but I dont think he is the man for the job of CEO of the FFA.

With Tinkler and Newcastle, I think that the damage is done and irrepairable. I hope I am wrong, but given the brazen move of Tinkler, if the FFA were to negotiate some form of financial incentive to get him back, the precedence would be there for any club at anytime to hold the FFA to ransom. Hopefully the FFA are able to get a consortium of investors interested so the club can survive.

Stop reverting to FFA putting the game into disrepute "PREVIOUSLY" this is about now.

The timing is ridiculously shocking & you are right they have put more into the game in 18 months than most have in 6 years but surely that means a bigger operating model, a bigger fee as they can pay it. It's like anything really & Im sure you would know that Tesla.

I really do not understand your point:

Tinkler can easily afford to honour his contract with the FFA and keep the Jets going.

But according to you he should be congratulated for handing the license back and ending the Football Club?

You clearly do not like when ppl post things on here that you deem irrelevant.

Considering he has the ability to keep the Jets going but instead has chosen to kill the club, I think Tinker’s having performed good deeds for the Jets in the past is the most irrelevant fact of all.

''Tinkler, in his short time, done more for his club and the community than any other owner in the A-League has, and now due to the FFA's incompetence he has left.''

He saved the fucking club for a start, if Tinkler wasn't there, Newcastle United Jets FC would've folded two years ago ffs. That is probably the most relevant fact of them all.

How are you still supporting Lowy and his bunch of corporate yes men? A fucking horrendous world cup bid, two failed expansions are just a few from the production line of FFA mother of all fuckups and a lack of transparency has now given born to this new cancer.

If you don't see the bigger picture cadete, then fuck mate, should've gone to specsavers.

Edited by Hendo

the main problem is the league isn't sustainable as it is, no matter who invests...

i think the league needs to be scaled back a bit, yes a few people will get pissed off, but at least we might have a chance at a sustainable league.

teams to play at smaller, cheaper suburban stadiums

second tier made from existing state league sides to bring in and merge fan bases. promotion/relegation at end of first season.

sure we're not gonna get 20/30 thousand people a game..... but we might still get 5 to 10.... id take that over no league to watch at all

''Tinkler, in his short time, done more for his club and the community than any other owner in the A-League has, and now due to the FFA's incompetence he has left.''

He saved the fucking club for a start, if Tinkler wasn't there, Newcastle United Jets FC would've folded two years ago ffs. That is probably the most relevant fact of them all.

How are you still supporting Lowy and his bunch of corporate yes men? A fucking horrendous world cup bid, two failed expansions are just a few from the production line of FFA mother of all fuckups and a lack of transparency has now given born to this new cancer.

If you don't see the bigger picture cadete, then fuck mate, should've gone to specsavers.

The Bigger picture?

The FFA performance in the past is not the bigger picture – It’s a picture in another Art Gallery in Bronte or Bondi.

Hence on this forum you have noted FFA haters such as Dutchy, FB and myself supporting these kents on this one particular Issue.

There is only one panting that matters in Newy atm and all it involves is:

Ben Buckley (A man we all despise) working his arse off to keep Newcastle Utd in the comp next year.

And Nathan Tinkler declaring “I am done, so the club is done, No Newcastle United in the comp next year”.

If you want to view the paintings of how great the self made man Nathan Tinkler is and how much he has done for the Newcastle Jets: Then you will have travel to yet another private gallery at Mr Tinkler’s house because all his past deeds are now deemed null and void.

• Like 1

If this post directed at me?

Not just you. To everyone who has taken a side. I dont think its Tinklers fault. He helped them out a few years ago. If he knew it would end up like this (FFA being a shit business) he wouldnt have come to help.

Not just you. To everyone who has taken a side. I dont think its Tinklers fault. He helped them out a few years ago. If he knew it would end up like this (FFA being a shit business) he wouldnt have come to help.

He inherited a dying club, it was hardly shares in Westfarmers FFS.

the main problem is the league isn't sustainable as it is, no matter who invests...

i think the league needs to be scaled back a bit, yes a few people will get pissed off, but at least we might have a chance at a sustainable league.

second tier made from existing state league sides to bring in and merge fan bases. promotion/relegation at end of first season.

sure we're not gonna get 20/30 thousand people a game..... but we might still get 5 to 10.... id take that over no league to watch at all

and get the fucking kids involved. if you play junior football, you either get free or heavily subsidised membership to the club of your choice

He inherited a dying club, it was hardly shares in Westfarmers FFS.

So you admit its dying?

Anyway that wasnt my point. My point is if FFA were a suitably run organisation. *This* wouldnt be happening. 2 teams in one year? you cant keep blaming the owners.

TBH, it doesnt worry me what happens in the next few weeks. There still will be a Newcastle Jets team play next season.

So you admit its dying?

Anyway that wasnt my point. My point is if FFA were a suitably run organisation. *This* wouldnt be happening. 2 teams in one year? you cant keep blaming the owners.

This would be a fair point, if these two owners were not so similar in nature.

Edited by cadete

TBH, it doesnt worry me what happens in the next few weeks. There still will be a Newcastle Jets team play next season.

the next few years are absolutely critical.... i couldn't give a fuck if Heart win a trophy next year if theyre not around in 5 years it means fuck all.....

This was pretty much what the NSL was before they started trying to make it (for want of a better word) "mainstream"

This was pretty much what the NSL was before they started trying to make it (for want of a better word) "mainstream"

true, but i'd hope we could keep fox sports on as official broadcaster (perhaps the deal won't be as good as it is now) and keep a few big sponsors. something the NSL lacked.. tv coverage + cheap for kids, its got to mean (and this is based on nothing more than speculation) long term sustainability and hopefully growth. gotta stop trying to force the game on people.... grow it naturally and build a proper supporter base.

true, but i'd hope we could keep fox sports on as official broadcaster (perhaps the deal won't be as good as it is now) and keep a few big sponsors. something the NSL lacked.. tv coverage + cheap for kids, its got to mean (and this is based on nothing more than speculation) long term sustainability and hopefully growth. gotta stop trying to force the game on people.... grow it naturally and build a proper supporter base.

I dont think that Fox would touch us if we striped it back, but I dont necessarily see that as a bad thing. Put it back on SBS or ABC.

• Like 1

Tinkler only bought Newcastle Jets and Newcastle Knights so that he would be in good standing to build his coal loader in the area. The government knocked it back, Tinkler doesn't need public support in newcastle anymore so he ditched the club...

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/tinkler-dumped-government-rejects-coalloader-plan/2435590.aspx

• Like 1

I dont think that Fox would touch us if we striped it back, but I dont necessarily see that as a bad thing. Put it back on SBS or ABC.

to tell you the truth mate, dont care what channel its on, as long its on free to air!

it could be on CH31 for all i care!

create revenue....