Melbourne Football

Team changes for next season

Tesla

This is my honest opinion on who I think themselves know they are not MH player’s anymore, it is by no means my choice on whether we should try keep them or not:

Maycon – Has already left to try find a job in Asia.

Kamal – Lack of professionalism has cost him.

Kalmar – (I know people will oppose this after last nigh) but fitness is a major concern for the club.

Worm – Not worthy of an international spot.

Terra – Cub deem him as same as the above, plus fitness is not great.

Taseski – Has probably missed the boat due to injury problems.

Sarkies - Can not force his way into the side.

NOTE: Williams and Hoff still have contracts otherwise they would be on this list of names as well.

exactly this.

as for Kalmar, i still think he deserves a spot but i do agree that fitness is an issue. Needs to have a big pre-season

TBH we could probably get rid of Hoff or Williams if there was another A-League club interested in them, they would be willing to cancel the contract so they can actually play somewhere else. Williams might want some compensation in that scenario as he won't be able to command anywhere near the wage he is on ATM.

TBH we could probably get rid of Hoff or Williams if there was another A-League club interested in them, they would be willing to cancel the contract so they can actually play somewhere else. Williams might want some compensation in that scenario as he won't be able to command anywhere near the wage he is on ATM.

Of course, I am sure they will shop their around the names at the local coffee shop...

I doubt anyone will be interested - so we will be stuck with them.

Think its easier to list who shouldn't be sacked than who should.

Dugandzic

Behich

Babalj

Fred

Marrone

Hamill

Milicic

Munn

Sack the rest.

Ya forgot to include Curtis Good? People can bang on about Duga, Eli and Behich all they like about a touring Europe career but I'd put money on Good and Hamill actually making a mark overseas.

Edit- Agree mostly bar the last on the list.

Edited by downbylaw

Yes definitely we need to keep Good, right now I rate Hamill more TBH, but Good is only 19 and a solid defender already. Long career in store for both of them considering defenders usually play at the highest level till fairly old ages.

Honestly, I will probably cop shit for this, but I wouldnt be too bothered if Hamill and Good were our first XI central defensive pairing next season. Though I would prefer a really high quality older defender to be signed (eg Madaschi, though thats not happening), and Colosimo to leave.

I am a fairly big believer in youth, which is why I also have said I want Babalj as first XI next season as well rather than someone being signed. Would rather youth than average older players.

We could actually construct a very good squad I think if we spent most of our salary cap on a small group or really high quality players, and then filled the squad up with a lot of youth players on low to minimum wages, or even some on youth contracts who might make the step up during the season. I think this is a good tactic in the A-League, rather than spreading the salary cap over a lot of average older players.

Oh and ffs sign up the young players on long deals, if they are on small wages its not that big a deal, tired of seeing A-League youth leave on frees or for cheap because they only have 1 year left on contract.

If we put some funds into a quality CB and a quality winger for the left wing or a left back so behich can move to the wing, that would provide very good dividends for us.

Edited by Tesla

The season is over now, its time to look towards building a team for next season. Dont see a problem with discussing who should go and who should stay.

Nothing wrong with discussing the team changes for next season, just do it in a sensible fashion.

Saying lets sack everyone except the kitchen sink is purile and appeals to the lowest common denominator in discusion.

I've amended the thread title to something more palatable. Lets try and hold the discusion in here to a higher level.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 2

The one thing that hasn't come up in posts is the need for someone who can take a set piece and is considered a starting player. Let's face it Mate's were shockers. Sarkies takes a good free kick but its no use if he can't get a game (me I'd play him, but I'm not the gaffer).

The only other thing I can add is that maybe a new gaffer will crack the enigma that is Williams and get him to play football again. Let's hope so because, as is well covered elsewhere, he ain't goin' nowhere.

The one thing that hasn't come up in posts is the need for someone who can take a set piece and is considered a starting player. Let's face it Mate's were shockers. Sarkies takes a good free kick but its no use if he can't get a game (me I'd play him, but I'm not the gaffer).

The only other thing I can add is that maybe a new gaffer will crack the enigma that is Williams and get him to play football again. Let's hope so because, as is well covered elsewhere, he ain't goin' nowhere.

Completely agree about Set Pieces we wasted so many of these all years, gets a bit frustrating when you see better takers at VPL level.

Have been saying for awhile Sarkies needs at least a bench gig. If you would rather Rugter on the bench it sort of sums up your selection choices.

i don't mind sarkies, i thought he was improving a bit with every game. The thing is, how many central midfielders do we want? With Fred, Shroj, Thompson, Germano all capable of being starting 11 players surely we don't need too many more central midfielder to select from? The bench only allows to have 4 players, 2 of those spots are taken up by a goalkeeper and a defender, which leaves 2 free spots. Ideally those 2 free spots would be left for strikers/wingers seeing as there's already 4 central midfielders in the squad. Hence why players like worm and terra are usually chosen.

Edited by heart_fan10

People are probably going to go mad but I'm going to say it, we should shop Matt Thompson around.

His knee is obviously a lot worse than originally thought and even though I reckon his best is top 2-3 players in the league he has been really bad since he had that knee injury so I would try and get rid of him now instead of having him on the injury table for the whole of next year

People are probably going to go mad but I'm going to say it, we should shop Matt Thompson around.

His knee is obviously a lot worse than originally thought and even though I reckon his best is top 2-3 players in the league he has been really bad since he had that knee injury so I would try and get rid of him now instead of having him on the injury table for the whole of next year

Agreed. Sell the kent ASAP.

I agree. Would release a large fee and there are better and younger players out there.

+1

send him and hoffman back to newcastle, and put williams on that plane as well. Between Thompson, Colosimo, Bolton (retiring), Williams and Hoffman there's at least $800,000 of cap space freed up which can be better used IMO

because we havn't won a game all season without him

I see. A guy that plays half the season is what we're pinning our hopes on?

Our win record with Fred shows we need a creative midfielder. That midfielder doesn't have to be Fred. In fact it shouldn't be, given his abysmal fitness record.

We can't go into another season flipping a coin every game as to whether Fred will play and as a result if we can win.

The club would be making a mistake if it didn't look for another attacking midfielder.

We need to learn to compete like Barca, not Arsenal. I don't mean strategy or technique here, but Barca go out to win every match and never give up, close out games and imposes themselves on opponents. Our problem is more about mentality not players although we do need a good experienced CB (especially if Bolton goes) and a good backup for Fred who can score regularly (like Bresciano)

People are probably going to go mad but I'm going to say it, we should shop Matt Thompson around. His knee is obviously a lot worse than originally thought and even though I reckon his best is top 2-3 players in the league he has been really bad since he had that knee injury so I would try and get rid of him now instead of having him on the injury table for the whole of next year
I see. A guy that plays half the season is what we're pinning our hopes on? Our win record with Fred shows we need a creative midfielder. That midfielder doesn't have to be Fred. In fact it shouldn't be, given his abysmal fitness record. We can't go into another season flipping a coin every game as to whether Fred will play and as a result if we can win. The club would be making a mistake if it didn't look for another attacking midfielder.
I'm not going to go mad at either of these posts. I tend to agree with them.

Matty Thompson has had a bad trot at Heart. He spent most of Season 1 as a centre-back and made some awful mistakes there. This season his move into midfield was welcome, and he was one of the sparks in our great run up to the end of 2011 (the others IMO being Madaschi and Babalj). Since his injury Thommo's form has been rock bottom - he turns his back in the tackle, frequently caught trying to run with the ball, and repeatedly turns over the ball with his passing.

A lot of faith has been placed in Fred, but I'm not convinced that he's our saviour at all. His hamstrings and groin are very suspect.

I agree that we need reinforcements at the back, and a charismatic striker whose going to score goals and increase attendances. But IMO that won't fix our problems. Our problem has been that we are too ponderous and predictable in our build-up with far too much sideways and backwards passes. That's because there is no movement in midfield. We started off as 4-3-3 and more recently have been playing 4-4-2, and still can't dominate in midfield. Srhoj is a hard worker, but can't shoot for toffee, and Fred is hardly a crackerjack in front of goal.

So I think we also need to add two creative midfielders to the squad who can also score goals. I would happily release Matty Thompson because I don't think he's going to improve from where he is now.

Likewise we need two wingers who can actually beat a man with skill rather than speed and then cross the ball accurately into the box. Much of the width that we started off with in season 1 has disappeared and we need to get it back as we are too easy to defend against.

Finally, agree wholeheartedly on the comments about our dead-ball skills. Our free-kicks and corners have been woeful since day one, and it irks me that the coaching staff appeared to do nothing about it. Sarkies is not the answer there either - his free-kicks are monotonously predictable.

Edited by jw1739

We need to learn to compete like Barca, not Arsenal. I don't mean strategy or technique here, but Barca go out to win every match and never give up, close out games and imposes themselves on opponents. Our problem is more about mentality not players although we do need a good experienced CB (especially if Bolton goes) and a good backup for Fred who can score regularly (like Bresciano)

Barcelona not Arsenal, Are you Craig Foster?

We are discussing A League here not Champions League so playing like Barca is just a bit out of reach TBH. I know the “Textbook MH Fan Attacking Football” response to this comment is:

Well look at Brisbane?

The reality is that if We or any A League club deployed even Stoke’s brand of blandness as well as they do – Brisbane would not come near us. So imagined what we would be like if we played like Arsenal.

We are discussing A League here not Champions League so playing like Barca is just a bit out of reach TBH. I know the “Textbook MH Fan Attacking Football” response to this comment is:

Well look at Brisbane?

The reality is that if We or any A League club deployed even Stoke’s brand of blandness as well as they do – Brisbane would not come near us. So imagined what we would be like if we played like Arsenal.

Do you want Australia to fall further behind Japan?

This comment goes against the last two years of Melbourne Heart and its philosophy, but maybe our structure needs to change, perhaps to something like 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. That way, you accomodate an attacking style of football, and have more flexibility with player signings and positions.

I agree with the comment about putting out a young side. The only way to learn is to be in that situation.

This comment goes against the last two years of Melbourne Heart and its philosophy, but maybe our structure needs to change, perhaps to something like 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. That way, you accomodate an attacking style of football, and have more flexibility with player signings and positions.

I agree with the comment about putting out a young side. The only way to learn is to be in that situation.

We did play 3-4-3 during the season?

I find it amazing that every time I propose that MH maybe win games using a method outside of the “MHAP: MH Attacking Philosophy” I am looked at like I am fool on here.

This Philosophy has seen us finish 8/11 (Really 8/10) and 6/10 (6/9), so we have effectively improved from scoring 20% on a test to getting 30% on a test.

What is wrong with wanting to see your club win games?

• Like 1

We did play 3-4-3 during the season?

I think you are right, it was a patch of 1 or 2 games.

I find it amazing that every time I propose that MH maybe win games using a method outside of the “MHAP: MH Attacking Philosophy” I am looked at like I am fool on here.

This Philosophy has seen us finish 8/11 (Really 8/10) and 6/10 (6/9), so we have effectively improved from scoring 20% on a test to getting 30% on a test.

What is wrong with wanting to see your club win games?

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to win. In fact, I believe something like 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 is far more attacking that a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. However, JvS came to the club to establish a style of football, as well as Olsen, and that was the Dutch 4-3-3 method. By all means, I am happy with attacking line-ups and structures, but can they properly be implemented with Aloisi and/or Millicic? Doesn't it undo what you have taught the players for 2 years prior?

However, if there is a sweeping clear out, then you may well be able to implement 3-5-2 as you are starting with new coach, new playing group, new tactics?

Therefore:

----------------Redmayne------------------

--------Marrone-Madaschi-Good--------

Hamill-Germano-Fred-Kalmar-Behich-

------------Dugandzic-Babalj--------------

Edited by biancorosso7

Well look at Brisbane?

I could have used Brisbane as an example to emulate too, Barca was just an iconic example. I don't expect us to have the technical or tactical sophistication, and I'm not using there teams for their technical qualities, but we can have the mentality of working together, for each other, playing to win, working for 94 minutes a game. Teams like Barca are winners because they work hard for it, Arsenal for all it's often dazzling football just doesn't have the same mojo and so is 'almost but not quite'.

The 'MHAP' philosophy will win games and win regularly, what's missing is the ethic or working hard, working smart, sharing responsibility. This is reflected in issues like our lack of movement off the ball to create options and space for the player with the ball. Everyone seems to be waiting for a 'leader' to tell them what to do.

There's an interesting group therapy exercise that is an example of what I mean: the group assembles not knowing what to expect; the group facilitator produces a ball and throws it to a group member; startled, he catches it and after a moment throws it back to the facilitator; he throws it to another member who quickly throws it back to the facilitator; this continues for a while and reflects the group in a dependant phase (this is where MH is now); suddenly one group member receives the ball and instead of throwing it to the facilitator, throws it to another member. This is the moment when the group srats to accept responsibility itself and not be so dependant on the leader. This is the next step for Heart, more so than player recruitment, because without it we won't win.

Edited by belaguttman