Melbourne Football

UEFA Champions League

Young Polak

Looks like no trophies this Season for: Chelsea, Gers or Linfield.

Well that's a bit stupid, it's only early December, still

What are we still in? The Club World Cup, The Prem, The FA Cup, the COC, and the Europa League.

Did not know, not making the Knockout stage meant we wouldn't win any trophies.

Sweet as Les Murray

Hahahaha, shut up champ, just made you look stupid.

My argument has always been its stupid that Non Champions get to compete in the comp these days, Celtic are indeed current champion of Scotland.

omg

It was a much better tournament and representative of European Football when it was just the Champions and Current EC Champion just look at the diversity of the Winner's List before the format changed and compare it to the Modern Winner’s List,

It also meant in turn that the UEFA Cup was also a very tournament and the best sides of Europe if competing wanted to win it unlike the Europa League. In fact the Super Cup was also treated very seriously and often won by the UEFA Cup winners. I know people will find this all very boring and a lot of people around here can’t even remember those days but those are the reasons why I dislike the Current Champions League.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

It was a much better tournament and representative of European Football when it was just the Champions and Current EC Champion just look at the diversity of the Winner's List before the format changed and compare it to the Modern Winner’s List,

It also meant in turn that the UEFA Cup was also a very tournament and the best sides of Europe if competing wanted to win it unlike the Europa League. In fact the Super Cup was also treated very seriously and often won by the UEFA Cup winners. I know people will find this all very boring and a lot of people around here can’t even remember those days but those are the reasons why I dislike the Current Champions League.

I'm not a fucking retard, I know what they are/were and how they worked and who was involved, it's just impossible for that to exist anymore, so you don't need to explain it every time.

• Like 1

I'm not a fucking retard, I know what they are/were and how they worked and who was involved, it's just impossible for that to exist anymore, so you don't need to explain it every time.

You are right it can’t work like that anymore in the present environment of European Football.

However do u get that this is solely due to the creation of the ECL itself?

When it began rewarding only 1/2 clubs from places like Scotland and Croatia with competition money but 3 or 4 teams receiving the money from the “Bigger Leagues”.

PPL point to the Bosman Ruling as the reason why Celtic and Ajax will never win EC’s anymore, but the Bosman Ruling never affected the top teams of the smaller leagues that greatly as did the non successful teams of all the European Leagues.

What turned these clubs in too second class citizens was the changing of the EC to the ECL.

Edited by cadete

You are right it can’t work like that anymore in the present environment of European Football.

However do u get that this is solely due to the creation of the ECL itself?

When it began rewarding only 1/2 clubs from places like Scotland and Croatia with competition money but 3 or 4 teams receiving the money from the “Bigger Leagues”.

PPL point to the Bosman Ruling as the reason why Celtic and Ajax will never win EC’s anymore, but the Bosman Ruling never affected the top teams of the smaller leagues that greatly as did the non successful teams of all the European Leagues.

What turned these clubs in too second class citizens was the changing of the EC to the ECL.

When club's like Ajax & Dortmund, both winner's in the 90's who were in financial instability in the past decade, have furthered their youth academies because they couldn't compete are now starting to show you don't need money to win matches in the CL anymore, both Dortmund & Ajax beat arguably the richest club in the world.

BUT Even if the ECL may have done that to past "powerhouse's", that form of the competition could not survive/exist anymore, and this is obviously to do with finance, and it may not be a good thing in many eye's, it's the only way a major continental competition can be as successful both for club's and for fan's, because of the wealthiness of it which is contributed majorly by the attention it gets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...