Melbourne Football

UEFA Champions League

Young Polak

Marseille vs Bayern, care to place some beer-related wager on this tie? Not 10 though, maybe like 3?

Stars have aligned, but they have aligned far too early. Didn't want Bayern nor the catalans for L'OM. I would've been happy with anyone else, It's worth a pint.

• 2 weeks later...

sup Micha

Bayern simply too good, definitely the dark horse to take out the European Cup.

Viking, Commando banners upside down.

To be honest though, Mandanda would've made a significant difference. We had our third choice goalkeeper out ffs, Andrade an absolute spastic. On the brighter side at the Velodrome Remy did cause some troubles in centre of the Bavarian defense, and did well considering the poor performance of his teamates. If only he scored that relatively easy chance at the start of the game, could've been a different story, actually probably not lul, Andrade.

It's not over yet.

• 2 weeks later...

i think the away goal will go a long way to helping Madrid, and i think they have the firepower to get them across the line.

Mourinho of course knows what to do, and how to use his players, so there shouldn't be too many nerves.

i would love to see Madrid capitulate though, just for lol's ;)

Got a good feeling about tonight, Drogs & Lamps to be really fired up after that great cup win, they'll want justice for last time.

I feel that this game would be best with drogba playing upfront, but in the return leg play torres up front as we would no doubt be under alot of pressure and torres is better counter attacking player imo

Never in doubt.

RDM's tactics spot on. Cole, what a player, Man of the match in my opinion. Terry, solid as a fucking rock. Cahill very solid too. Drogba brilliant. Ramires, excellent again. Lampard, pass of the night.

Who the fuck is Messi? Flat track bully. 7 games Vs the best defence in the world, 0 goals.

tumblr_m2oy17RF6k1r1f2u6o2_250.gif

Barcelona by at least 4

Just read this. hahahahaha, you're obviously new to football?

haha smash and grab. How bitter can you possibly be? Just because we don't play like this doesn't make us any less of a team. Deserved the result, even Guardiola admitted it. Who gives a fuck about possession? We had just as many chances as uefa and could have had a penalty (would have been soft but was there).The only stat that matters though: Chelsea 1-0 Barcelona.

It just won't hold up at camp nou

Why not?

Why not?

Possession:

Chelsea 30%

Barcelona 70%

Shots:

Chelsea 4

Barcelona 24 (Woodwork x 2)

Score:

Chelsea 1

Barcelona 0

You're fucking mad if you think you can hold out like this over two legs, arf.

Who the fuck is Messi? Flat track bully. 7 games Vs the best defence in the world, 0 goals.

Has scored more goals this season than your entire strikeforce mate. Gary Cahill is obviously too good for the premier league, cleansheets against both Barca and Spain, time to move to the Bundesliga.

You're fucking mad if you think you can hold out like this over two legs, arf.

So you theory is basically, because we kept a clean sheet we can't in the next leg?

Possession really means nothing, Barcelona keep possession as a means of defending because when it comes to defending, well, their defenders are fucking shite. Barca played extra midfielders because they were scared of Chelsea's attacking power. As for 24 shots to 4, I find that hard to believe (but stats don't lie) but in terms of chances made Barca did not really have many more than Chelsea. First one of the crossbar was unlucky tbf, second one Cole had it covered on the far post.

Has scored more goals this season than your entire strikeforce mate.

This depends on who you define as our "entire strikeforce" but it is pretty pointless anyway. I could probably score hat tricks for Barcelona against teams like Real Zaragoza and Racing Santander FFS. Put him up against a real defence and he looks like a child.

Gary Cahill is obviously too good for the premier league, cleansheets against both Barca and Spain, time to move to the Bundesliga.

Cahill is going nowhere :)

Barca played extra midfielders because they were scared of Chelsea's attacking power

Attacking power?

What tae fuck, are you new to football?

You started off with THREE HOLDING MIDFIELDERS, deep and narrow.

Your first task and one of which pretty much won you the game + a big drop of riding your luck, was trying to prevent Barcelona playing through the centre, and force them out wide. RDM approach here was interesting – Lampard and Meireles flanked Mikel. Lampard started on the right with Meireles to the left – then they switched, but Meireles kept fouling Fabregas, so they switched again – but they were basically doing the same job anyway and it was effective. Pep then tried to bring on the two young wingers to try and move the attack through the flanks as the middle was congested as fuck, but they weren't effective at all.

So you theory is basically, because we kept a clean sheet we can't in the next leg?

You guys were very lucky not to concede, you won't have the same degree of luck in the next leg I'm afraid.

Edited by Hendo

Attacking power?

Drogba. Guardiola knew poo-hole and mascherano couldn't contain him so he went for a more cautious line up and tried to play an even higher possession game than usual.

You guys were very lucky not to concede, you won't have the same degree of luck in the next leg I'm afraid.

The only "luck" I saw was sanchez hitting the crossbar. That could easily have gone in to be honest.

The only real luck I consider in football is poor refereeing, you can't really help that. Poor finishing, you can certainly help that. If we truly "lucky" we would have had a penalty when Terry was held in the penalty box (again, very soft but was there by the laws of the game).

The argument that Barcelona could have scored but didn't, doesn't really prove that they must score next time in my opinion. I don't see what's so different about the next match?

• Like 1

Barca hit the bar with seconds left...

On any other day barca could have one 5 or 6 - 1

But thats where I accept your point of " could have but didnt".

Inter are the only side to go to camp nou and park the bus and come out on top.

Can't see you getting through tbh.

Barca will once again dominate the second leg and will convert.

3-0 barca

Barca hit the bar with seconds left...

Again, Cole had this covered.

On any other day barca could have one 5 or 6 - 1

But thats where I accept your point of " could have but didnt".

So you have no point here? On another day Chelsea could have scored 6 too.

Inter are the only side to go to camp nou and park the bus and come out on top.

Last time played at the camp nou (2 years ago) we drew 0-0 and had arguably the better of the chances, barca dominated possession, but failed to convert the very chances they got, similar to this morning.

Barca will once again dominate the second leg and will convert.

Barca need to dominate a game against us first before they can dominate again. Dominating possession /= Dominating a match.

3-0 barca

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion after all. We kept Barca scoreless over 180 minutes 2 years ago though and I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise yet. Barca will be favourites to win the game but the tie is definitely 50/50

Interesting you picked that point out. My point was obviously that yours was a ridiculous exaggeration. There is no point saying on another day, a team could have scored x amount of goals when they didn't. The only exception to this is if a team is clearly cheated out of several goals (e.g. 2009), then we will talk about "luck."

For the record, not all chances end up as shots and not all shots are genuine chances. We had at least a few good chances which didn't end up in shots, so comparing shots can be a bit of a pointless argument too.

I take it you agree with the rest of my post then?

Back four, extremely solid, brilliant all 4 of them.

Drogba, Lamps, Meireles, Mikel, Ramires all brilliant, Mata didn't get into the game but wasn't bad at all.

Tactics were perfect, example being the goal, catch Alves out and we'd score.

Did any of you even watch the match, or did you just watch a quick segment on highlights this morning?

Barca made three times as many passes as we did, there's the 70/30 possession explained, they do it against every fucking side they play. As for 24 shots, 10 max were genuine chances.

Three holding midfielders? You mean 1 - Mikel, a Central Midfielder- Mereieles & a more advanced midfielder - Lampard

Last time we played there, it was 0-0, how can you say they'll beat us 3-0? What's going to change? We're quicker & better in the air than they are, even Guardiola admitted it.

Edited by DutchPride

Three holding midfielders? You mean 1 - Mikel, a Central Midfielder- Mereieles & a more advanced midfielder - Lampard

Last time we played there, it was 0-0, how can you say they'll beat us 3-0? What's going to change? We're quicker & better in the air than they are, even Guardiola admitted it.

Are you blind?

Mikel was often the man to move up the pitch and close down Xavi. Lampard and Meireles would stay quite central, quite tight. When the ball was then moved out wide, Mikel would drop back and form a line of three again, or sometimes slightly deeper than the other two. But he very rarely played on his own in front of the defence.

THREE HOLDING MIDFIELDERS.

Edited by Hendo

Rofl, deluded obviously didn't watch it - Chelsea ALL year have played the system of having a DM sitting in front of the back 4 so when Cole or Ivanovic push up he slots into a 3rd CB role.

The formation below is what we played, as i said, 1 holding midfielder, 1 central midfielder & 1 more advanced central midfielder.

---------------------Lampard----------

-----------Meireles---------------------

------------------Mikel-------------------

Cole-----Terry---Cahill-----Ivanovic

Mikel was often the man to move up the pitch and close down Xavi. Lampard and Meireles would stay quite central, quite tight. When the ball was then moved out wide, Mikel would drop back and form a line of three again, or sometimes slightly deeper than the other two. But he very rarely played on his own in front of the defence.

Someone has read Zonal Marking this morning.