Melbourne Football

ALW Season 2023-2024

IssySG

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, IssySG said:

ALW captain Emma Checker's contract not being renewed. Granted, it felt as though she was permanently coming back from injury, she seemed like a real leader amongst the playing group.

All the best Emma.

Is it injury related? Or maybe a move to an English club is on the cards? their league tends to go long enough that players can't really do the annual league hop.

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Is it injury related? Or maybe a move to an English club is on the cards? their league tends to go long enough that players can't really do the annual league hop.

I don’t believe it’s injury related - as far as I’m aware she’s fit now. She’s from Adelaide and so is her partner I believe, so maybe a move home?

Still a shit of a place to get to unless you live in the Dandenong/Cranbourne area.

On 21/08/2023 at 8:32 PM, MHFC-FAN said:

Don't call me sexist, but I have absolutely no idea about the women's squad/league.  What are the thought's on this seasons squad? Is it looking like the girls will be competitive or a bit so so?

You're not alone.

Like I've said, I don't like the hike of going out that way. But if I am going go, at least I'll now get to watch the team play on a proper pitch with a proper spot to sit and watch them play. It's now a much more of an attractive proposition now then when they were playing on the Casey Fields oval. 

Glass one fifth full lads

• 1 month later...

Got in early to watch the Girls. Quiet entertaining although some of the strikes at goal were embarrassingly soft. Stott and Otto played well as the CBs and Torpey was good as one of the FBs, Grosso not so much. Hughes was kept busy pretty much mopping up in the middle. Pollicina MOM with her two goals but could have been more. MacNamara is really quick and dangerous. Garlic has really good touch. So the wings were impressive. Wilkinson was a bit odds and ends tbh. Saying that Canberra looked a lot like u19s playing

On 23/10/2023 at 2:48 PM, IssySG said:

McNamara is honestly such a joy to watch.

She is, I also think the defensive work done by Grosso to allow HM more freedom should not be downplayed  either.

On a separate note, it looks like Dario has got the team playing good, technical, attractive football, but I don't think he has fully gotten the team to where he wants them to be (and dare I say, where I think he could get them).

To the outside world it woukd appear he is being groomed to takeover from his dad at some point, Nd I personally ghink the early signs are looking promising.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good win for the girls this arvo, Grosso in particular a standout but a good team performance, only issue was poor conversion again, need to work on that. A goal for Pollicina

will hopefully increase her confidence, she is struggling a bit in comparison to last season. 

The match was marred by a shocking send off of Emina Ekic, both yellows soft but the second one in particular totally uncalled for, terrible officiating. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, luka74 said:

Exellent win today in front of a hostile crowd, against a newcastle team that played quite a physical game. Feeling confident we can get it done in the home leg.

It would be rather embarrassing not getting through with a 3-0 advantage... probably as embarrassing as that tiny Newcastle goalkeeper.