Melbourne Football

Matt McKay for Heart....any chance???

daniboi

Given that Rangers in Scotland are about to formally enter a phase of administration and need to slash the wage bill and Brisbane Roar ruling out paying any fee for McKay's return, any chance of Heart taking on a genuine marquee player like McKay. I think it would be awesome for the team, the club and the supporters.

Thoughts?

Give him JvS's wage.

Funny thing is, apparently he's on 250k p/s, JVS is on 400k p/s himself.

If he's willing to take a paycut, get a cheap but quality coach in for 200k, and give the other 200k to Matty.

Problems are:

-He's a Brissy boy, through and through.

-Rangers in the current state they are in will look for a return on the fee the spent on him12 months ago.

Positives are:

-He's likely to come back to Aus for regular game time.

-He is a natural leader and could replace Fred (whom I feel is not a leader but still a high end professional) as our captain as he would play every game - very rarely gets injured.

-He is a ripper bloke and would fit in amongst the other ripper blokes at the club.

Would love to see him here, but doubt it'll happen.

EDIT:

A midfield of:

Fred

Mckay - Thompson - Hermano

Is the absolute stuff of wet dreams.

Edited by marteaux

If he's willing to take a paycut, get a cheap but quality coach in for 200k, and give the other 200k to Matty.

Problems are:

-Rangers in the current state they are in will look for a return on the fee the spent on him12 months ago.

Positives are:

-He is a natural leader and could replace Fred (whom I feel is not a leader but still a high end professional) as our captain as he would play every game - very rarely gets injured.

-He is a ripper bloke and would fit in amongst the other ripper blokes at the club.

i would say fred is a leader, the other players look upto him and as we can say perform better with him playing along side them

Problems are:

Positives are:

EDIT:

A midfield of:

Fred

Mckay - Thompson - Hermano

Is the absolute stuff of wet dreams.

Get rid of JVS 400k

Add Milicic on 50k

Give 50k to matty, save 150k elsewhere (surely maycon + worm is 150k at least?) and give that to him also

have up to 300k for transfer fee

???

Actually against paying transfer fees, its unnecessary in this league. So if they dont want to let him go for free and reduce their wage bill than do not want, use the 500k to land some free agent marquee.

Edited by Tesla

Get rid of JVS 400k

Add Milicic on 50k

Give 50k to matty, save 150k elsewhere (surely maycon + worm is 150k at least?) and give that to him also

???

Actually against paying transfer fees, its unnecessary in this league. So if they dont want to let him go for free and reduce their wage bill than do not want, use the 500k to land some free agent marquee.

Surely Milicic would be on 75-100k?

Milicic will take 50k for a chance to be A-League manager, not my fault if MHFC directors' negotiation skills arent on my level. My support for Milicic is on the assumption we can get him for dirt cheap, if we are giving the guy 100k I'm not that keen.

Get rid of JVS 400k

Add Milicic on 50k

???

Worm will hopefully save us some money but Maycon wont - I doubt his on any more than 50K.

IMO the most important thing now is to get our new Head Coach sorted before we sign anyone. Just signing someone because they become available is not the way to go. You should have a plan that you're working to, not do things ad hoc. Secondly, we should NOT fill up our player list. If we had left a spot vacant at the start of this season we could have signed Adrian Madaschi for 17-20 weeks as a player rather than an injury replacement, knowing when we did so that we would release him as and when an offer came through from Jeju. Had we done that I'm sure we would have had a better season - he was one of the keys to our run before Christmas. If you keep one or two spots unfilled you have plenty of flexibility. So, get our new coach on board, let him review the players coming out of contract, let him understand what the budget limitations are, and go from there. We have to learn from the mistakes made in our first two years, not just repeat them.

P.S. JvS is reportedly on between $550,000 and $750,000 per year. I noted that he also drives a Porsche SUV, no doubt provided by the club... Granted that the money he's paid comes from the syndicate, but let's not make this type of mistake again either. Completely unnecessary to pay this kind of money.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 4

My guess would be yes. The package is probably $550,000 cash plus $200,000 in the fringe benefits, bring it up to $750,000. Seen it all before in industry. FB can include airfares to place of origin, schoolfees, all that sort of thing. Completely unnecessary when you look at the results obtained on the field.

• Like 3

IMO the most important thing now is to get our new Head Coach sorted before we sign anyone. Just signing someone because they become available is not the way to go. You should have a plan that you're working to, not do things ad hoc. Secondly, we should NOT fill up our player list. If we had left a spot vacant at the start of this season we could have signed Adrian Madaschi for 17-20 weeks as a player rather than an injury replacement, knowing when we did so that we would release him as and when an offer came through from Jeju. Had we done that I'm sure we would have had a better season - he was one of the keys to our run before Christmas. If you keep one or two spots unfilled you have plenty of flexibility. So, get our new coach on board, let him review the players coming out of contract, let him understand what the budget limitations are, and go from there. We have to learn from the mistakes made in our first two years, not just repeat them.

P.S. JvS is reportedly on between $550,000 and $750,000 per year. I noted that he also drives a Porsche SUV, no doubt provided by the club... Granted that the money he's paid comes from the syndicate, but let's not make this type of mistake again either. Completely unnecessary to pay this kind of money.

Madaschi would not have signed on with us for the season. He was trailing with victory before the start of the season and the reason victory did not sign him was because he was only after a short term deal to keep him fit and in form till the jan transfer window so he could go abroad.

Madaschi would not have signed on with us for the season. He was trailing with victory before the start of the season and the reason victory did not sign him was because he was only after a short term deal to keep him fit and in form till the jan transfer window so he could go abroad.

jw1739s point is still valid

Precisely my point. If we'd had a spot vacant we could have signed him on just such a short-term contract. Win-win. Always keep a spot vacant because you never know what opportunities might be around the corner.

Milicic will take 50k for a chance to be A-League manager, not my fault if MHFC directors' negotiation skills arent on my level. My support for Milicic is on the assumption we can get him for dirt cheap, if we are giving the guy 100k I'm not that keen.

My assumptions are 100K is more like it.

I doubt any head manager is on less than $100K. They wouldn't get out of bed for less than that! Can anybody share any facts? i.e. min wage paid to a A-League manager?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/news/1052216/Show-A-League-coaches-the-money

From the 2010/2011 season (salary per season):

John van 't Schip - $700,000

Vitezslav Lavicka - $500,000

Franz Straka - $400,000

Ernie Merrick - $300,000

Miron Bleiberg - $300,000

Branko Culina - $300,000 (after the Tinkler takeover)

Ricki Herbert - $230,000

Rini Coolen - Just under $200,000

Ian Ferguson - $150,000

No figures provided for Postecoglou & Arnold, although they recieved a combined $400,000 between them.

http://theworldgame....aches-the-money

Franz Straka - $400,000

Ernie Merrick - $300,000

Ricki Herbert - $230,000

Ian Ferguson - $150,000

No figures provided for Postecoglou & Arnold, although they recieved a combined $400,000 between them.

Even though he's a hack. I'm surprised Ferguson's earning the least. Cheers.

Matty would be an awesome signing. Been a very consistent performer over a number of years. Good on him for having a go at "his dream", just a pity he joined a club who thinks the midfield is the area that the defenders need to clear when passing to the forwards. Rangers are in fairy land though if they think anyone would pay a transfer fee for Matty - he is a recent signing from an obscure league and has barely played.

I think he will stay and get some game time after the manager gets sacked. Can't see him ending up in red & white I'm afraid.

Ignorance, everywhere.

OK, educate me (I admit i haven't seen a recent game, just read others comments). Why can't he get a game then? The club needs more week in week out consistency and that's Matty. When he went I thought it was a good move, but I didn't expect him to be frozen out, particularly when Rangers started to falter.

To be honest, he should of played early when Edu was out of form. Davis/Edu have become a formidable pairing are hard to dislodge for any player. Ally McCoist's teams always fall to shit when Edu/Davis are not the middle pairing.

McKay is an excellent play and easily has the pedigree to be a first team player. The only problem is that Ally doesn't rotate his player which will hit him hard soon when Davis gets tired(has already happened)

We should be playing:

Davis-Edu-Mckay

------Aluko---------

Lee Mc--Healy---

Bedoya is also out of favour which is sad.

My prediction is Matty will get a good run of games now that we cannot win the league.

Matty would be an awesome signing. Been a very consistent performer over a number of years. Good on him for having a go at "his dream", just a pity he joined a club who thinks the midfield is the area that the defenders need to clear when passing to the forwards. Rangers are in fairy land though if they think anyone would pay a transfer fee for Matty - he is a recent signing from an obscure league and has barely played.

I think he will stay and get some game time after the manager gets sacked. Can't see him ending up in red & white I'm afraid.

Matty only got a position because of Moore and doesnt get played because of his attitude and inability to step up to that level, why would you bring that shit in whern he'll come back pissed off cause he didnt make it and no where else wants him. Wake up isnt the league screwed up enough.Its known as the recycled league and everyone knows you wont profit from that so why keep going down that league. Shit if we want to do that bring in Visconte, Dijite,Danning,Farina, memit,Mebrahtu,Vidosic,Bleiberg,Ferguson again and again and again oh shit sorry they have already been recycled and.....

http://theworldgame....aches-the-money

Franz Straka - $400,000

Ernie Merrick - $300,000

Ricki Herbert - $230,000

Ian Ferguson - $150,000

Straka was on 400k?

Money not well spent there from the defunct Fury.

• 1 year later...

Given that he has openly stated that he would be open to a return to the A-League, and we have a marque spot open...............why the hell aren't we moving heaven and earth to sign up Matt McKay?

I think he'd be a great acquisition for the club but I don't know whether he's worth marquee status (I'm assuming you're referring to the Australian marquee spot, otherwise I'm calling you mad ).

Another thing to note is, whilst he's a fantastic central midfielder (would slot in perfectly into a CDM role) I'm sure he will be keen to play left-back due to the Socceroos and we don't have space for him in that regard.

Perhaps we are in discussions with him and his agent, perhaps we're not.

We just need to be patient, we've made 6 pretty good signings now and we've still got ages until the start of the season so we're doing okay  :up:

Given that he has openly stated that he would be open to a return to the A-League, and we have a marque spot open...............why the hell aren't we moving heaven and earth to sign up Matt McKay?

he might be looking for a club where he can play LB (like he does at the socceroos). And we already have Behich there. 

he might be looking for a club where he can play LB (like he does at the socceroos). And we already have Behich there. 

Yeah lets pass up on him because we have Behich - That worked with Goodwin.