Melbourne Football

W-League Rd 5 v Adelaide United Sat 14 Nov 4.00pm C. B. Smith Reserve

mjake1234

For those who couldn't make it. You're missing out. Some great football being played. This is what the men should play like. Hardly ever a backward pass, always looking to pass forward and through the lines. Kim little is something else as well

23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Those light towers are giving me ocd 

For those wondering 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Agreed, very enjoyable playing style and the team is working well together. Only negative of the match so far is that I didn't think to being my sunglasses.

Good setup at the ground and pretty easy to get here, about 15 min walk from the station.

Kisnorbo is here too which is good to see. Edit: Bolton too.

Edited by Kinnibari

23 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Agreed, very enjoyable playing style and the team is working well together. Only negative of the match so far is that I didn't think to being my sunglasses.

Good setup at the ground and pretty easy to get here, about 15 min walk from the station.

Kisnorbo is here too which is good to see. Edit: Bolton too.

Seems that the girls train twice each day under Montemurro. Would be interesting to compare his training methods with those of the men's squad. Yes he has a good squad to work with but seems he's been able to get them to play good attacking football very quickly.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Seems that the girls train twice each day under Montemurro. Would be interesting to compare his training methods with those of the men's squad. Yes he has a good squad to work with but seems he's been able to get them to play good attacking football very quickly.

The youth team was struggling when he was coaching them. Take that as you will, as it's probably apples to oranges comparison. 

At this stage I'd be willing to see any change happen though. 

Edited by n i k o

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

The youth team was struggling when he was coaching them. Take that as you will, as it's probably apples to oranges comparison. 

At this stage I'd be willing to see any change happen though. 

I'll give Joe the credit since, as we all know from experience, a bad coach can take a squad that should win the league and make them look like amateurs.

1 minute ago, fidrildid6 said:

I'll give Joe the credit since, as we all know from experience, a bad coach can take a squad that should win the league and make them look like amateurs.

The squad we have had on the pitch shouldn't win the league, but they should be much better than what they are. Like I said happy for some sort of change though cause we need it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Dominant all game. It was like one of those preseason games when the men play an NPL side. Should have been about 6-0. Adelaide had two shots all game

2nd time I see that about the womens team, Are they getting a bit well.. complacent?

49 minutes ago, ecguymer said:

Crowd was good, match was good, public transport was a pain in the ass

Given that it´s a new team playing there.. What kind of people attended the game in your opinion
Locals? Heart/MelbC fans? Those iinto womens footy? Odd mix?

Seemed to be a mix of womens footy fans; friends and relatives of players; people who where there for the Y-league match and decided to stick around and a few club supporters. And most people seemed to enjoy the game, even the small contingent of Adelaide fans who had come across for the match

Edited by ecguymer
  • Like 1

Very enjoyable experience this game, after the horror of Friday night. 

I think our women are doing a brilliant job. I was standing next to the commentators for much of the game and they were speaking of us as though it were a match between Manchester City and Bournemouth. They praised Adelaide for any slight counter-attacking opportunity or defensive effort while being critical about the smallest errors or lack of tempo from our girls. Just shows how incredibly high expectations and respect are for our w-league team - my favourite bit was when they mentioned how massively different the challenge for Adelaide was this week to last week (when they beat victory 4-0).

The game itself was scarcely competitive. It is a shame that other w-league clubs are unwilling to invest the full salary cap funds available, because this performance was a complete stroll, moreorless like every other so far this season, and city didn't have to play to its full potential to win comfortably, though it was a high-quality display of football. It's very clear that we have insane squad depth when Beattie Goad and Alex Chidiac reside on the bench. 

Catley and Stott really impressed me today (good fullbacks at city..what is this???) while Fishlock and Little put on a masterclass (most of our best attacking forays involved a direct combination between the two). Tabain started well and grew somewhat quieter as the game went on though she never stopped working. Jackson gives us a lot of steel in midfield. 

For anyone thinking of heading to CB Smith this season, you won't regret it! Stylish, skilful football on display in an intimate family friendly atmosphere on a surprisingly excellent pitch. Though attendance was good it would be wonderful to see more of us get behind the team considering they have so much going for them and the displays have been top notch and exciting to watch! As for the men...

Edited by AzureKingfisher
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

How did Crummer go @Dylan &/or @Kinnibari ?

Must say I like the look of the kid. 

Good! She has a good sense of composure about her (although pretty much everyone in our squad looked calm and under control). Very pleased we've signed her. She scored from quite close range, getting in the right place to put the ball away when it came to her.

2 hours ago, ecguymer said:

Seemed to be a mix of womens footy fans; friends and relatives of players; people who where there for the Y-league match and decided to stick around and a few club supporters. And most people seemed to enjoy the game, even the small contingent of Adelaide fans who had come across for the match

Agreed, although I'd estimate the club supporters as higher than 'a few'. Also some kids from the local club who seemed to be having a good time. I got there right as the game started and had to queue to get in, and there were still people showing up 15 min into the game.

Recommend any one to come watch the girls play. Was my first time going yesterday, and will continue to keep attending because it is much better watching a team that can actually play nice football and win games without looking shaky! 

• Like 1