Melbourne Football

AFL 2014 Season

toogood18

Gw essendon board, now we can make sure the ASADA drama ruins the club for another season!

High fives all round! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And yet nobody has done anything about Geelong and their drug pushing ways... maybe you should tip of the AFL Kaiser?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stephen-dank-asks-why-only-essendon-and-cronullas-supplements-programs-were-investigated-20140930-10o58w.html

Yep we are stuffed.

Obviously nothing is coming the way of any other team but do you honestly believe that Geelong are as clean as a whistle?

In regards to Performance Enhancing drugs I do believe we are squeaky clean because Frank Costa used that actual description to describe his time at the club and anyone who has meet Costa knows he is one man that you take at his word.

Despite hating Essendon I largely just feel sad about this whole saga because of the decent Essendon fans I know like yourself and my Grandfather... But then every now and then someone like Kingofhearts comes along trying to blame anyone but the bloke that got you in this mess (Including my own side) and I remember why I truly hate Essendon.

And FWIW the Geelong came from nowhere so they must have been on drugs theory could only be argued by a retard who started following footy in 2006... because the formline was clearly already there through out the mid 2000's.

My stance has, and always will be that James Hird employed people who without his knowledge, put some type of performance enhancing drugs into the essendon fc in the 2011 season. The bloke was a rookie coach, and unless you can show me some type of proof that he thought he consciously told Dank to put performance enhancing drugs into the essendon players i will always believe he will be an unfortunate victim of this scandal.

Just for arguments sake let's for one second imagine a world where him not knowing was possible let alone plausible; do you honestly think his negligence would make him a victim? Seriously? It's arguably even worse...

Edited by Braveheart

Gw essendon board, now we can make sure the ASADA drama ruins the club for another season!

And yet nobody has done anything about Geelong and their drug pushing ways... maybe you should tip of the AFL Kaiser?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stephen-dank-asks-why-only-essendon-and-cronullas-supplements-programs-were-investigated-20140930-10o58w.html

Yep we are stuffed.

Obviously nothing is coming the way of any other team but do you honestly believe that Geelong are as clean as a whistle?

In regards to Performance Enhancing drugs I do believe we are squeaky clean because Frank Costa used that actual description to describe his time at the club and anyone who has meet Costa knows he is one man that you take at his word.

Despite hating Essendon I largely just feel sad about this whole saga because of the decent Essendon fans I know like yourself and my Grandfather... But then every now and then someone like Kingofhearts comes along trying to blame anyone but the bloke that got you in this mess (Including my own side) and I remember why I truly hate Essendon.

And FWIW the Geelong came from nowhere so they must have been on drugs theory could only be argued by a retard who started following footy in 2006... because the formline was clearly already there through out the mid 2000's.

My stance has, and always will be that James Hird employed people who without his knowledge, put some type of performance enhancing drugs into the essendon fc in the 2011 season. The bloke was a rookie coach, and unless you can show me some type of proof that he thought he consciously told Dank to put performance enhancing drugs into the essendon players i will always believe he will be an unfortunate victim of this scandal.

Just for arguments sake let's for one second imagine a world where him not knowing was possible let alone plausible; do you honestly think his negligence would make him a victim? Seriously? It's arguably even worse...

Hold on Egghead...  :blink:

Are you saying ignorance is not an excuse in the eyes of the law?

Edited by cadete

I will admit I have other reasons for my dislike of Johnstone but I still think he was a bad use of the Number One pick.

He was definitely a shocking pick. Even fucking Richmond managed to discover Brad Ottens at number 2 in the same draft.

And to just to put it into perspective even further: 

31. Simon Black

43. Adam Goodes

45. Matthew Scarlett

It's amazing how many elite players sneak through to the later picks whilst so many first round picks end up being duds. I think it says a lot about how important good player development systems at clubs are and how little a discrepancy there is in talent between the first and last round picks in the draft.

Its obviously nowhere near as bad as it was in those days now as the club's have learnt how much more important the draft is to the health of their clubs.

But one thing that frustrates me is how often teams get burnt by going for Victorians who only have form against other Juniors (Usually talls like Watts).

IMO the TAC Cup needs to be incorporated more into the VFL than it currently is so that good juniors get a chance at senior experience like they do in WA and SA which gives recruiters a much better indication on how they will perform in the AFL.

TBH I wouldn't mind the draft age being put up by a year so that its compulsory for all future AFL players to play a year of State League footy alongside starting some sort of Tertiary Education.

This way recruiting would be far better for all clubs in being able to work out the real talent available, player's bodies and minds would be better prepared for AFL, more people would a lot more interested in State Footy and the players could get a start on a education that they could fall back on if their footy career ends up going nowhere.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I will admit I have other reasons for my dislike of Johnstone but I still think he was a bad use of the Number One pick.

He was definitely a shocking pick. Even fucking Richmond managed to discover Brad Ottens at number 2 in the same draft.

And to just to put it into perspective even further: 

31. Simon Black

43. Adam Goodes

45. Matthew Scarlett

It's amazing how many elite players sneak through to the later picks whilst so many first round picks end up being duds. I think it says a lot about how important good player development systems at clubs are and how little a discrepancy there is in talent between the first and last round picks in the draft.

Its obvious nowhere near as bad as it was in those days now as the club's have learnt how much more important the draft is to the health of their clubs.

But one thing that frustrates me is how often teams get burnt by going for Victorians who only have form against other Juniors (Usually talls like Watts).

IMO the TAC Cup needs to be incorporated more into the VFL than it currently is so that good juniors get a chance at senior experience like they do in WA and SA which gives recruiters a much better indication on how they will perform in the AFL.

TBH I wouldn't mind the draft age being put up by a year so that its compulsory for all future AFL players to play a year of State League footy alongside starting some sort of Tertiary Education.

This way recruiting would be far better for all clubs in being able to work out the real talent available, player's bodies and minds would be better prepared for AFL, more people would a lot more interested in State Footy and the players could get a start on a education that they could fall back on if their footy career ends up going nowhere.

I'm not suggesting it was a great pick, but it wasn't shocking. Johnstone could play, there are several other examples of us using a top 5 pick on blokes that can't. 

On your post Cadete, solid points. I know for a fact Paul Roos steers clear of key forwards from the TAC Cup unless they are near certain to be a jet for the reasons you just listed.

For example, in this years drafts there are several key position prospects from the TAC Cup who will be taken over Sam Durdin from the SANFL, mainly because his production in senior footy hasn't been as high as the guys from the TAC Cup. To be honest, I think Durdin looks the best of the lot. 

• Like 1

Yep we are stuffed.

Being negligent doesn't excuse what has happened i agree, however its been unfair on him the amount of shit he has copped. He should of at the least lost his job yesterday, but the scrutiny he has gotten compared to Dank and Robinson is completely unfair.

Hes a victim in the sense that his trust was betrayed by the people he employed. I can't believe myself that he would've intentionally told dank to inject the players with performance enhancing drugs, especially these days where you can't get away with shit, but he failed in his duty of care to the players to keep on checking on what Dank was doing. Even if he hadn't understood entirely what Dank would've told him about the substances, their were enough people at the club like doc reed for instance who would've been able to tell him what each substance was and what was legal and what was not. Surely he wouldn't of been that stupid to think he could've gotten away with it?

At the end of the day he failed to check-up on what the players were being injected with because it was a rookie coaches mistake. People have even said he was that arrogant he didn't believe he had to check up on what dank was doing to the club. Each to their own.

Ryan Griffen gone. FFS there must be serious serious problems..

Meh, wouldn't even be that upset if I was a Doggies fan, he's 28 atm so don't imagine him being in their next premiership team, would take one of GWS's young guns & a 1st round pick if it was offered.

What I have started to think after it's all settled.. One of the big forwards and Pick 4 I'd be absolutely fine with.. plus a McCartney sacking

Meh, wouldn't even be that upset if I was a Doggies fan, he's 28 atm so don't imagine him being in their next premiership team, would take one of GWS's young guns & a 1st round pick if it was offered.

What I have started to think after it's all settled.. One of the big forwards and Pick 4 I'd be absolutely fine with.. plus a McCartney sacking

Really? I thought he has been doing a pretty good job so far. Would wait another year before calling for his head.

Really? I thought he has been doing a pretty good job so far. Would wait another year before calling for his head.

Geelong's younger players had to conquer the VFL before they started to do the same in the AFL FWIW.

Meh, wouldn't even be that upset if I was a Doggies fan, he's 28 atm so don't imagine him being in their next premiership team, would take one of GWS's young guns & a 1st round pick if it was offered. What I have started to think after it's all settled.. One of the big forwards and Pick 4 I'd be absolutely fine with.. plus a McCartney sacking

Really? I thought he has been doing a pretty good job so far. Would wait another year before calling for his head. Haven't expected bulk wins but there just appears to be no gameplan.. flood the ball and win the "contested possessions" because we have 18 players around the ball vs 10.. then look up and kick to Crameri or Jones vs 3 blokes... it's been pretty woeful to watch and add the fact that the players are sooking it means it's pretty hard to keep him..

Melbourne has snared Jeff Garlett and pick 83 in exchange for picks 61 and 79.

Steal for Melbourne imo, such a talented player who went missing this year once Betts was gone. Meanwhile, our squad is looking more and more ordinary.

He makes Ryan Lonie look as tough as Jonathon Brown. Really can't see him doing much especially seeing he'll be rather isolated with the burden on him.

Steal for Melbourne imo, such a talented player who went missing this year once Betts was gone. Meanwhile, our squad is looking more and more ordinary.

He makes Ryan Lonie look as tough as Jonathon Brown. Really can't see him doing much especially seeing he'll be rather isolated with the burden on him.

Ahaha, I remember that guy :P 

He's not tough, no but he has this freakish ability around the goals and is a great tackler. Unfortunately he also has a freakish ability of becoming invisible throughout several quarters of footy.

Not a big loss for Carlton. We got him as a rookie, he played and won games with us, but just wasn't the right player for us for the foreseeable future. 

The only person that Carlton need to recruit is Geelong or Hawthorns recruiter lol.

We are a fucking shambles, pull your heads in CFC

• Like 2

Hard to say that losing Beams for Greenwood, Aish and pick 5 makes us weaker..

Greenwood had one good season, Aish still learning, pick is a pick.

Not saying its not a great deal for you guys in the long run but right here right now losing your 2nd best player makes you weaker.

you'll lose approx. pick 20 for those players as well. Greenwood will be a separate deal.

Marty - Beams could be a champion barring injury I really can't see Greenwood reaching such heights.

Edited by cadete

and-its-gone.jpg

you'll lose approx. pick 20 for those players as well. Greenwood will be a separate deal.

Marty - Beams could be a champion barring injury I really can't see Greenwood reaching such heights.

he already is an all Australian, flag winner and Copland winner. So I would say he already is a champion at age 24

Brisbane thinking pick 5 for him is ridiculous. None of their gun young midfielders would even be enough in a straight swap (zorko, Hanley, rockliff are still quite behind him IMO).

If anyone knows how much Beams is worth it's the collingwood recruitment team so he won't be going anywhere unless the price is right.

you'll lose approx. pick 20 for those players as well. Greenwood will be a separate deal. Marty - Beams could be a champion barring injury I really can't see Greenwood reaching such heights.

he already is an all Australian, flag winner and Copland winner. So I would say he already is a champion at age 24

Brisbane thinking pick 5 for him is ridiculous. None of their gun young midfielders would even be enough in a straight swap (zorko, Hanley, rockliff are still quite behind him IMO).

If anyone knows how much Beams is worth it's the collingwood recruitment team so he won't be going anywhere unless the price is right.

So now you do agree you that will be getting weaker?

In the short run yes but from what I've seen of Aish and this yrs strong draft pool means we can grab another two young guns - as Collingwood is obviously rebuilding and there's not much we can do about a player wanting to be with his sick dad..

And on that note: it's obviously not true in the case of beams but does anyone think players who say they want a trade back to their home state use it as an excuse to just get more money/success

Cooney to Essendon almost done. Don't know how I feel about it tbh.

Probably will cost you peanuts and will be a solid impact player.. in saying that im happy to weed out the sooks and stockpile picks. He's not gonna be here when we even have a crack at finals let alone a flag.

I think the free agency was initially implemented in an attempt to provide fringe players with the opportunity to get another chance at a new club but it's been blown wide out of proportion with all of these high-profile players jumping at the chance for extra $$$ and a better chance at a premiership tilt. 

Agree with MaliMate, the AFL is a basketcase and has been for a while now. There should have been safeguards and regulations in place to prevent this sort of thing happening but yet again, we'll get a knee-jerk reaction.

The AFL randomly pulling out a trade ban on Sydney because they were complying with the original request that their salary cap cost of living allowance be phased out is another example of the AFL doing whatever they feel like.

AFL is beyond cooked. People talk about FIFA being corrupt but the AFL literally makes shit up as they go.

Can you imagine if the AFL were a political party in power atm. The opposition would be having a field day.

The whole point is that there is no opposition... just one single party working for the supposed "Collective Good" of everybody.