Melbourne Football

VCE homework help and emotional support thread

marteaux

How are your units organised? Same as ours?

Units 1 & 2 = Year 11 semesters 1 & 2, etc.?

If so, 10 units is pathetic!

I didn't fail any, so I think I ended up with 22...

Its safe to say the system is fairly different.

(AT MY SCHOOL)

At the start of Year 11 you pretty much need to start with 12 units. Each subject is worth 2 units. At the completion of Year 11 your allowed to drop 2 of those units. Year 12 your left with 10 units, but if you still have 12, after you do your HSC test the worst two units get dropped from your score.

Most schools allow you at year 11 to choose however units you want. even if its less than 10.

Its safe to say the system is fairly different.

(AT MY SCHOOL)

At the start of Year 11 you pretty much need to start with 12 units. Each subject is worth 2 units. At the completion of Year 11 your allowed to drop 2 of those units. Year 12 your left with 10 units, but if you still have 12, after you do your HSC test the worst two units get dropped from your score.

Most schools allow you at year 11 to choose however units you want. even if its less than 10.

I'm not sure if I understand that fully.

Doesn't sound too different, I guess, but our VCE covers years 11 and 12, so you need to consistently pass both years.

I did six subjects in year 11, and passed them all, so that meant I had 12 units.

Then I dropped one subject and completed 10 units in year 12, making 22 overall.

As for calculating scores; that's a much longer story.

I'm not sure if I understand that fully.

Doesn't sound too different, I guess, but our VCE covers years 11 and 12, so you need to consistently pass both years.

I did six subjects in year 11, and passed them all, so that meant I had 12 units.

Then I dropped one subject and completed 10 units in year 12, making 22 overall.

As for calculating scores; that's a much longer story.

Oh that makes more sense.

And I didn't explain our system too well to be perfectly honest.

In the HSC your ATAR score is made up of your class mark + your test score (class mark is a maths class and a half to calculate) and that makes up your final score. Essentially you can flunk Year 11 and then make up a decent ATAR through Year 12 alone.

The class mark and test score system could be similar to what you do

yeah that's pretty much was i was in search of - uni just seems a lot more interesting than secondary, which arises curiosity, i suppose.

one of the core reasons i just want school to conclude and move on to university is due to the independence aspect of things, so that's great i guess.

entirely eager for it!!

Uni gives you the choice to do what you enjoy. In my opinion you have to balance what you enjoy with courses that provide viable job prospects. For example, I believe an Arts degree would be really interesting and would possibly be provide a great scope of knowledge, but much of it isn't particularly useful in the current work force, a part from a few specific jobs.

The good thing about other degrees such as commerce or even law, is that it really leaves your options open.

If you like independence then you'll be well suited to Uni life.

Edited by MKD
  • Like 1

Law requires a lot of reading, and the exams aren't like high school where you answer standard questions like what is this, explain that. From my experience so far, it is far more based on applying your knowledge to the given scenario.

At my uni there is quite a bit of choice with timetables, so you can organise your classes around your preferred times. With any course, there are a number of core units that you must do in order to obtain the final degree. I think you also get the option to choose elective classes for additional credit points in some years.

can anyone expand on these?

Macri pls complete year 10 before saying you want to finish school..

I will be in year 12 in just over a month cunt and I am still 16, and I do not want to finish school to the extent of me at one point wanting to repeat year 11. I'm not doing that, and I've always put some leisurely things like my exchange on the back burner as I eventually pull my head in for crunch time - what I'm saying is, going through year 10-11 and dying for school to finish is a big waste of time tbh and with that attitude you'll be better off going and doing a trade. Ya got to cherish it...CHERISH IT!!!!!!!!!!

Also - if you want to become a 'lawyer' although I doubt at this point you'd really understand what 'lawyer' work entails, I'd suggest a move to a different school. Sandy is a school that doesn't push you whatsoever and I am someone who definitely needs to be pushed especially when it comes to school work. I learnt this by doing 3 of the same subjects of my girlfriend and doing homework together - the pure knowledge she picked up from it just in class was almost 3x what I had myself, purely because her school cost $25,000 a year and could punish her if she didn't do the work. If you don't do homework at Sandy - your teacher will say 'next time, do your homework' and they'll do this every week until its exams and you've no idea what you have to do. Luckily I am someone who doesn't have to try very hard when it comes to doing well at school, but nearly all of my Sandy friends are struggling big time - despite coming to Sandy with ace work habits. Some have even dropped out.

What I'm saying is that if I was at an expensive school where there was the pressure on me to perform - maybe I could get a big time ATAR and do a law degree. But at Sandy that is a long shot and I will settle for above average mediocrity and a newly found addiction to alcohol and spliff.

Another thing of note at Sandy is the drug culture. Might of died off recent times but it is very much still present and I'm lucky I haven't got well caught up in it like some of my friends have.

can anyone expand on these?

I'm doing first year law as well. Example of a tute question (taken from an old exam) which i should be preparing for at the moment:

Catherine is renovating her house prior to putting it on the market. The last room of the house to be done is the kitchen and she has hired Dave, a plumber, and Lucy, a joiner, to do the relevant work. It is important that the work is done on time, as Catherine needs to sell her house for pressing financial reasons and needs to put it on the market by October 25.

On 1 September Catherine signed a contract with Dave for him to do all the plumbing required to move the sink and dishwasher to the other side of the kitchen. The contract sets out exactly what work is required to achieve this, and sets a time for completion of 13 October.

On 5 September Catherine entered a contract with Lucy, a joiner, for Lucy to build and install new kitchen cupboards and benches. This contract includes the following clauses:

Clause 1: On completion of the fabrication and installation of the frames for the kitchen cupboards and benches, half the contract price will be payable. This work must be completed by 16 September.

Clause 2: On completion of the fabrication and installation of the bench tops and cupboard doors, the remaining half of the contract price will be payable. This work must be completed by 20 October.

Clause 3: The bench tops and cupboard doors are to be constructed of oak.

For the first couple of weeks, things seem to be going well. On the evening of September 19, however, Dave, the plumber, rings Catherine and says “Look, I’m really sorry about this, but another urgent job has come up and I really need to attend to it. I might be able to come back to your work in a couple of weeks, or maybe three.” When Catherine reminds him that she needs the work to be completed by 13 October, Dave tells her there’s nothing he can do about it, he has to attend to the new job, and besides, it’s paying him a lot more than she is. When she protests, he angrily says, “Well, forget it. I’m not coming back at all now. I didn’t need your insignificant little job anyway – it’s more trouble than it’s worth!” and hangs up. Catherine is very upset, because even if Dave does come back and resume work in two (or three) weeks, it isn’t likely he will be able to complete by October 13.

The next day, Lucy turns up at the house with the first of the bench tops that she has made. As Catherine is inspecting it, Lucy says “Beautiful, isn’t it? The finest Tasmanian oak, that is.” Catherine is taken aback, as she had wanted English oak used in her kitchen as it is more hardwearing and long lasting than Tasmanian oak. When she says this, Lucy says, “The contract says oak. That’s oak, and that’s what you’re getting – I couldn’t afford to do it in English oak for the price you’re paying.”

Catherine isn’t happy. Advise her on any rights she might have against Dave and Lucy.

So basically you go through and ask what the main issues are for the various points of law. In this instance, you would essentially be writing two responses; one for action between Catherine and Lucy, and one for Catherine and Dave. Catherine and Dave you'd ask wether Dave effectively repudiated from the Contract, in effect bringing it to an end and potential termination. Then you'd remember back to the 20 or so cases you'd read for the week and try to apply the judgements to the set of facts to work out how the court would best construe the contract/ view the situation and give advice to Catherine about her rights. And the process continues.

It's problem solving using a large set of case precedents to try and fit to the material facts to get the best outcome for your client. Our exam will be basically two questions like that. It's a lot of reading and a lot of work which you can't fuck around and do nothing all term, irrespective of how much freedom and independance you now have. Compared to Arts, where i barely do any work other than attend lectures and you can still do well.

Hope that answers your question in terms of expanding? Let us know what you want to know about Uni.

Edited by Che
  • Like 1

Sandy is a school that doesn't push you whatsoever and I am someone who definitely needs to be pushed especially when it comes to school work. I learnt this by doing 3 of the same subjects of my girlfriend and doing homework together - the pure knowledge she picked up from it just in class was almost 3x what I had myself, purely because her school cost $25,000 a year and could punish her if she didn't do the work. If you don't do homework at Sandy - your teacher will say 'next time, do your homework' and they'll do this every week until its exams and you've no idea what you have to do. Luckily I am someone who doesn't have to try very hard when it comes to doing well at school, but nearly all of my Sandy friends are struggling big time - despite coming to Sandy with ace work habits. Some have even dropped out.

What I'm saying is that if I was at an expensive school where there was the pressure on me to perform - maybe I could get a big time ATAR and do a law degree. But at Sandy that is a long shot and I will settle for above average mediocrity and a newly found addiction to alcohol and spliff.

I don't think is particularly true. Paying a shit-load of money isn't a pre-requisite to doing well at school. Many people who go to public schools still achieve top marks. I agree to an extent about the pressure. If doing my homework is checked or assessed, I'm far more likely to do it. That said, at the end of the day it's up to the individual. If they want to do well, it doesn't really matter where they go (obviously to an extent). It's not like we have real ghetto schools here where the environment drags everyone down. The standard in Australia is generally pretty high, even at the low-ranking schools.

It's problem solving using a large set of case precedents to try and fit to the material facts to get the best outcome for your client. Our exam will be basically two questions like that. It's a lot of reading and a lot of work which you can't fuck around and do nothing all term, irrespective of how much freedom and independance you now have. Compared to Arts, where i barely do any work other than attend lectures and you can still do well.

I'm pretty worried about the Contracts exam to be honest. I only just passed contract A (first semester), and did barely anything during the term. I've almost caught up on all the lectures and taken notes, just hoping I can learn a lot of it and learn to apply the knowledge in time. How do you structure your answers and incorporate principles from cases? I've always been a bit lost on this front.

I don't think is particularly true. Paying a shit-load of money isn't a pre-requisite to doing well at school. Many people who go to public schools still achieve top marks. I agree to an extent about the pressure. If doing my homework is checked or assessed, I'm far more likely to do it. That said, at the end of the day it's up to the individual. If they want to do well, it doesn't really matter where they go (obviously to an extent). It's not like we have real ghetto schools here where the environment drags everyone down. The standard in Australia is generally pretty high, even at the low-ranking schools.

To be fair, there are public schools, and then there's Sandy.

The place is so casual, apparently to focus on the arts more so than academic pursuits.

I do agree though that paying top dollar for education doesn't always correlate with top results, public schools still give opportunity to succeed.

Also - if you want to become a 'lawyer' although I doubt at this point you'd really understand what 'lawyer' work entails, I'd suggest a move to a different school. Sandy is a school that doesn't push you whatsoever and I am someone who definitely needs to be pushed especially when it comes to school work. I learnt this by doing 3 of the same subjects of my girlfriend and doing homework together - the pure knowledge she picked up from it just in class was almost 3x what I had myself, purely because her school cost $25,000 a year and could punish her if she didn't do the work. If you don't do homework at Sandy - your teacher will say 'next time, do your homework' and they'll do this every week until its exams and you've no idea what you have to do. Luckily I am someone who doesn't have to try very hard when it comes to doing well at school, but nearly all of my Sandy friends are struggling big time - despite coming to Sandy with ace work habits. Some have even dropped out.

What I'm saying is that if I was at an expensive school where there was the pressure on me to perform - maybe I could get a big time ATAR and do a law degree. But at Sandy that is a long shot

Terrible attitude tbh and some of the best Lawyers and even top Silks I've known/heard of have come from much humbler beginnings than Sandringham.

Another thing of note at Sandy is the drug culture. Might of died off recent times but it is very much still present and I'm lucky I haven't got well caught up in it like some of my friends have.

Play the cards you were dealt you lil bitch excuse making phaggot. Either that or go kill yourself. Srs.

Guys just to let you know about VCE Economics, I agree with Telsa. Not mathematical, pro government this sort of stuff. Is interesting, especially now seeing fiscal and monetary policy aren't compatible at all. Pretty much at the end of it they (the teacher) try to convince you the market system works best and has pretty much no political bias. You'll end up either a centre-left or centre-right voter.

I'm in year 12 and today is my last day. Boys whatever you do put everything you have and actually try at school, you'll push yourself and in the end it will be worth it. Doesn't matter what school you go to, if you put your best effort in, you'll be rewarded in the end whatever score you get.

@braveheart that's my problem tbh.

Some of you say? I'd like to see how many QC or whatever they are known as now finished off their the VCE at a public school. I'd wager it'd be very, very few of them.

@tesla get fukt im a reck u. I am playing the cards I've been dealt, just being realistic about prospects.

@braveheart that's my problem tbh.

Some of you say? I'd like to see how many QC or whatever they are known as now finished off their the VCE at a public school. I'd wager it'd be very, very few of them.

@tesla get fukt im a reck u. I am playing the cards I've been dealt, just being realistic about prospects.

WTF I thought u went to Skevs now? :o

I'm pretty worried about the Contracts exam to be honest. I only just passed contract A (first semester), and did barely anything during the term. I've almost caught up on all the lectures and taken notes, just hoping I can learn a lot of it and learn to apply the knowledge in time. How do you structure your answers and incorporate principles from cases? I've always been a bit lost on this front.

TBH i'm screwed as well, we only do a semester of contracts so consider both your semesters crammed into one. I survive on the summaries later year students have given me and hope for the best really. From what i heard i wouldn't worry too much though, it's not expected that you do much better than a P in first year - last assignment for example they gave out about 10 distinctions across a cohort of about 500.

In terms of structuring i really don't do anything out of the ordinary (Hirac etc). Much more complex for Contracts than torts in that you have to compare simalir cases that often don't have ratio so you have to use judgements as persuasive, whereas Torts was much simpler.

:/

Also Marteux look up Susan Kiefel.

Edited by Che

Didn't know where to post this, but a bloke from my school ripped a flare in the school grounds at lunchtime today, no clothes on.

Big expectations for a few of these younger fellas when they finish!

ahhaha quality. a mate a mine did the same in the sports hall at his. Mongs fan though -_-

Didn't know where to post this, but a bloke from my school ripped a flare in the school grounds at lunchtime today, no clothes on.

Big expectations for a few of these younger fellas when they finish!

ahhaha quality. a mate a mine did the same in the sports hall at his. Mongs fan though -_-

Bloke I know once ripped a flare on his boat when it was sinking. Absolute sickkunt.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

hello marteaux

thanks

What kunt?

Also no one will ever beat the Elwood College class of 09 muck up day. Genuinely fucked on the school.

-carried the principles Volkswagen up the wide staircases onto the roof of the school and had to get a crane in to get it off

-fish oil on all handrails

-lockers moved in front of all class room doors at lunch time

-rick rolld at least 15 times in assembly/class

-massive amount of rotten eggs thrown and water bombs with super glue in them

-porn superglued to classroom tables (that had been turned upside down and stacked out in the hallway)

-good old carrots in teacher car exhaust pipes...

And stacks of other shite I can't recall now

• Like 1

What kunt?

Also no one will ever beat the Elwood College class of 09 muck up day. Genuinely fucked on the school.

-carried the principles Volkswagen up the wide staircases onto the roof of the school and had to get a crane in to get it off

-fish oil on all handrails

-lockers moved in front of all class room doors at lunch time

-rick rolld at least 15 times in assembly/class

-massive amount of rotten eggs thrown and water bombs with super glue in them

-porn superglued to classroom tables (that had been turned upside down and stacked out in the hallway)

-good old carrots in teacher car exhaust pipes...

And stacks of other shite I can't recall now

Now that is the definition of muck up day

Bernards' 09' (year younger than me) class is the reason they're not allowed to do pub crawls anymore. Ransacking 7/11's etc.

Yeah i remember that, shits always gone down even though it hasn't always made the news.

When i went on pub crawl last year guys where slashing seats, throwing glassess across bars and other

shit that i can't remember cause of alchol haha! I remember though that somebody was arrested though so its

just weird that the media just seem to pick and choose which stories they want to report.

Yeah i remember that, shits always gone down even though it hasn't always made the news.

When i went on pub crawl last year guys where slashing seats, throwing glassess across bars and other

shit that i can't remember cause of alchol haha! I remember though that somebody was arrested though so its

just weird that the media just seem to pick and choose which stories they want to report.

They usually only report on this stuff if it is a private school, in particular the Herald Sun, the stuff also sells like hot-cakes.

Wouldn't be surprised if the school pays the cops hush money to keep it out of the media as well

So I'm assuming every or majority of schools had muck day today? Keen to know what schools had the most fucked up shit, or can describe the event but leave the school anon if you want. My only highlight was people ripping flares before 8:00am and soon as it struck we just charged in with tp and eggs.. Not as bad ass as the other stories from other schools I've heard, but yeah...

was a minor fight between some of the year nines and tens vs the twelves as they were throwing eggs and doing laps of our school perimeter.

nothing even that bad though - i heard one of my mates' brothers went to Brighton Sec on their muck up day and threw boiled eggs at the windows and pissed on teacher's car windshields.

A few stories I have heard over the years not sure how true/accurate they are:

A group of students who lifted the Principals cars between 2 trees so it made it impossible to get out with doing about 50 steers.

Another one where students walked a Cow up 5 flights of stairs. Problem being cows can't walk downstairs so they apparently they had to get a crane to get it out from one of the windows.

• Like 2