Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Adelaide United - Saturday 23 August, Alice Springs

Murfy1

Former EPL superstar Damien Duff “very likely” to play in Alice

BY JORDAN MCARDLE

AUGUST 14, 2014

FORMER English Premier League superstar Damien Duff is “very likely” to play against Adelaide United in Alice Springs next week, according to his new club Melbourne City.

City spokesman Julius Ross said the 35-year-old Republic of Ireland international, who signed with the newly-¬rebranded club on a one-year deal from Fulham, was a massive chance to play in the A-League pre-season hit-out at Anzac Oval next Saturday.

Recent international marquee signing, Slovenian midfielder Robert Koren is set to make his City debut as part of a full-strength squad.

Koren joined the club after 28 goals in 143 appearances for EPL side Hull City.

“I’d say the whole squad will be travelling,” Ross said.

“It might be the first time that our marquee player Robert Koren will play for us if he’s fit.

“He’s only trained four times with the club since arriving from Slovenia, so his fitness wasn’t the same as some of the other players who have been training for a couple of months.”

It has already been a massive winter for EPL giants Manchester City’s “brother club”, with matches against Oldham Athletic and Bolton Wanderers part of their UK training camp last month.

Duff’s Australian debut did not go quite to plan, with the A-League favourites going down 3-1 to Sydney FC in their FFA Cup opener.

The team will have one more friendly match, against Melbourne-based side Hume City, before travelling to the Red Centre on Friday.

It will be a football feast next week, starting with Adelaide United’s clash with Alice Springs All-Stars on Thursday night at 7.30pm.

Next Saturday is a double header, starting with Alice Springs and Darwin going head-to-head in an under-16s match at 1pm before the main event between United and City at 3.30pm.

Meanwhile, Darwin’s NorZone All Stars team will tackle Adelaide United at Marrara three days after the Alice Springs match.

Football Federation NT Chief Executive Officer, Craig Chapman, expects the match to draw a big crowd.

“It is fantastic for local players to be able to take the field against an A-League team and this will generate a lot of excitement in the local football community,” he said.

“The All Stars team will be a combination of up and coming local youth talent, for whom the game will be a fantastic developmental opportunity, as well as more experienced players, who will help ensure that the All Stars are a competitive unit.”

The NorZone All-Stars squad will be coached by reigning premiership coach John Tsaknis from the Hellenic club, and the manager will be Alex Boubaris, also of Hellenic.

A selection panel chosen by Football Federation NT has picked the provisional squad, which comprises at least one player from each NorZone Premier League club — University Azzurri, Casuarina, Darwin Olympic, Port Darwin, Hellenic, 1st Brigade, Mindil and Palmerston.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/former-epl-superstar-damien-duff-very-likely-to-play-in-alice/story-fnk0b2ce-1227024575374

Edited by Murfy1

I drovr to Brisbane with only a 4 hour sleep on the side of the road

I did something similar once. Now I realise what an idiot I was and how I could have killed myself and a family of four. Any young folks reading this drive safe and don't be an idiot like me or Tony. Instead stay alive and have as much sex as possible. 

• Like 2

I did something similar once. Now I realise what an idiot I was and how I could have killed myself and a family of four. Any young folks reading this drive safe and don't be an idiot like me or Tony. Instead stay alive and have as much sex as possible.

Couldnt agree more

And don't forget protection for sex if you are going to preach safety haha

And don't forget protection for sex if you are going to preach safety haha

I literally just had unsafe sex about an hour ago. I feel like such an idiot. (Serious)

I did something similar once. Now I realise what an idiot I was and how I could have killed myself and a family of four. Any young folks reading this drive safe and don't be an idiot like me or Tony. Instead stay alive and have as much sex as possible. And don't forget protection for sex if you are going to preach safety haha

I literally just had unsafe sex about an hour ago. I feel like such an idiot. (Serious)

Was it worth it? If so fuck it haha joking you bad man!

I did something similar once. Now I realise what an idiot I was and how I could have killed myself and a family of four. Any young folks reading this drive safe and don't be an idiot like me or Tony. Instead stay alive and have as much sex as possible. And don't forget protection for sex if you are going to preach safety haha I literally just had unsafe sex about an hour ago. I feel like such an idiot. (Serious)

At the time I certainly thought so. Anyway I will now stop over sharing. 

Wish I could go to this game. Be pretty awesome to watch a game in Alice. Can Heart break their duck in games against a-league opposition? 

I did something similar once. Now I realise what an idiot I was and how I could have killed myself and a family of four. Any young folks reading this drive safe and don't be an idiot like me or Tony. Instead stay alive and have as much sex as possible. And don't forget protection for sex if you are going to preach safety haha I literally just had unsafe sex about an hour ago. I feel like such an idiot. (Serious)

At the time I certainly thought so. Anyway I will now stop over sharing. 

Wish I could go to this game. Be pretty awesome to watch a game in Alice. Can Heart break their duck in games against a-league opposition?

It'd be nice to pop Alice's cherry

• Like 1

PREVIEW: Melbourne City FC say hello to Alice

Friday, 22 August 2014

Melbourne City FC make the trip to the red centre this weekend as they face Adelaide United at ANZAC Oval in Alice Springs.

After coming off a commanding 5-0 win against local NPLV side Hume City on Tuesday night, the Club travels to central Australia looking to test their squad against Hyundai A-League opposition.

Melbourne City FC will make its third trip to regional Australia this pre-season with trips to Bendigo and Lismore still to come. The full senior list is scheduled to travel to Alice Springs with a number of trialists also playing for a spot on the senior or NYL lists.

Damien Duff put in another strong performance on Tuesday night and will get a real taste of Australian conditions when he touches down in the Northern Territory.

Robert Koren will be in a similar position to the Irishman and will be monitored closely in terms of minutes and match fitness. 

ANZAC Oval has hosted a National Rugby League pre-seaon match in 2006 but this will be the first time A-League teams will play at the ground, introducing football to new territory.  

The Reds will have plenty to play for in the red centre with the side preparing for the next round of the FFA Cup. With that in mind, Adelaide will be pulling all stops to ensure they put out a strong line-up on Saturday afternoon.

Injured trio Cassio, Michael Marrone and Fabio Ferreira will remain in the ‘City of Churches’; however, United will be bringing their new Spanish striker Pablo Sanchez, who will look to test Melbourne City FC's defensive stocks.

Adelaide have had a strong pre-season against A-League opposition, defeating Perth Glory in Sydney FC - and Wellington Phoenix in the FFA Cup. However, Josep Gombau’s side was put to the sword in their own backyard by Spanish La Liga giants Malaga.

Both sides will be undertaking clinics and community events over the weekend, as the A-League connects with the local community in "The Alice".

Match Details

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday 23 August 2014

Adelaide United vs. Melbourne City FC

ANZAC Oval

Kick-Off: 3.30pm (Local Time), 3pm (AEST)

Tickets

Tickets will be available over the counter at Intersport Alice Springs (formerly Centralian Sports), Hot Stuff for the Sporting Buff and Sportspower. Tickets will also be available at the gate (cash only).

Unreserved Grandstand Seating

Adults: $10

Concession and under 16: $10

Children under 5: FREE

Family Pass (2 adults, 2 children): $40 

General Admission

Adults: $10

Concession and under 16: $5

Children under 5: FREE

Family Pass (2 adults, 2 children): $25

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/preview-melbourne-city-fc-say-hello-to-alice/7odk8b52s9kz1ev9dnutvai9m

How do the number of pre-season games compare to previous seasons?

Seems we're playing a few more?

Exactly as many games as last season (9), which is comparable with every other season except 11-12, when Heart played 15.

I take it there's been no talk of streaming this one, incidentally?

Edited by Falastur