Melbourne Football

Fixture Season 2014/15

Deeming

Still doesn't mention the FFA cup, say for example Villa plays in the Final, I assume that counts as a game. That document needs to be updated.

The FFA cup is a whole other competition, so it might have its own rules. But who knows, perhaps there are no squad restrictions for the FFA cup. Yet even if that were the case, all teams are practically restricted, because they only have so many players to draw upon for FFA cup matches, and I don't see clubs recruiting extra players just to play in the FFA cup. And I'm pretty sure that next year onwards the FFA cup will start a month later then it did this year, with the final to take place on Australia day, and the reason that the FFA cup is starting in August this year is the Asian Cup in January 2015 (and because the FFA cup will normally run pretty much simultaneously with the A-League, it would be very difficult for clubs to recruit any extra players to make a difference in the FFA cup).

I fully agree that they need updated documents that cover the FFA cup, as I'm pretty certain that there isn't any.

On Villa, it's been reported that he will miss our first FFA cup match, regardless of whether he could participate in the competition or not:

Melbourne City will play its first game as a newly named club in the first-ever FFA Cup, a knockout competition based on England’s FA Cup, in early August.

Villa will not be available to play in that game as he will go on holidays after his international commitments with Spain conclude after the World Cup.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/spanish-superstar-david-villa-heading-to-the-aleague-for-a-stint-with-melbourne-city/story-fnk6rlg0-1226944133920

It's a good question though if Villa could play in the FFA cup final, if we make it, which takes place on December 16. Also, the FFA cup semi-finals are in mid to late November, and the quarter-finals are in mid to late October, and even the Round of 16 is even mid to late September. So since it doesn't seem that there are clear restrictions against guest players playing in the FFA cup (indeed, there aren't any known squad restrictions), I'd actually assume that David Villa could quite possibly be allowed to play in the 3 or 4 final rounds of the FFA cup. Whether he will or not is a different matter. But we simply need more information about it all.

Anyway, on the FFA cup overall, hopefully our other big player have joined the team before August, so they have settled in the squad and are able to play (and play well) in the FFA cup. There's no reason why that can't be our first piece of silverware if we win our Round of 32 match in August, and carry on good form from there.

If Villa plays rounds 1-10, that's only 5 home games. I'd leave him in Melb for round one, just to piss of FFA, and not take him to wellington, means he can play the home derby, and the following week against Perth, so long as he's willing to stay in Oz for xmas. That would make 7 home appearances, much better for us. 

• Like 2

Another home game the same day as the Grand Prix. Nice work, morons.

I e-mailed the club about this. Interesting response. They are "pleased" with the "final copy" of the fixture.

Being a cynic I'd interpret this as indicating that there's been plenty of horse-trading over various City/FFA issues over the past weeks.

Might make my first ever away trip this season in Round 1 if I can find someone to go with. Pretty shattered that we're away in the first round but I've always wanted to travel to an away game and Sydney would be a great place to go and see our first win! 

Might make my first ever away trip this season in Round 1 if I can find someone to go with. Pretty shattered that we're away in the first round but I've always wanted to travel to an away game and Sydney would be a great place to go and see our first win! 

Well the only time Heart ever made the finals was when they started a Season interstate...

So hopefully this can be a good omen for City.

• Like 1

Still doesn't mention the FFA cup, say for example Villa plays in the Final, I assume that counts as a game. That document needs to be updated.

Those regulations are strictly for the A-League and the NYL. I very much doubt that they cover the FFA Cup, just as they do not cover the Asian Champions League.

IMO FFA is such a reactive organisation that it probably hasn't even thought of some of the things that we are thinking about. The entry of CFG into Australian football has opened up so many possibilities that FFA is scratching to catch up.

The FFA Cup is a different competition, it has it's own rules and regulations. What they are, who knows. Though they could easily just say A-League clubs must use their A-League roster, or similar.

Edited by Tesla

For a minute i was shattered too, but then i realized that its just a great excuse to go to an away game.

Been to a few and have loved it. I think this will be an even bigger away trip considering the numbers ive heard are going up

• Like 2

The misses and i are all booked and ready to go for the game against thre Smurfs.

Have a very good feeling we'll have a fair few people filling the away bay for this one.

Bring on Round 1 boys!!!

Where are you leaving the little one for the weekend? I'm thinking we drive up with our little girl (she'll be 13months by then) but I doubt the missus will allow me to take her to the game  <_< lol

The misses and i are all booked and ready to go for the game against thre Smurfs.

Have a very good feeling we'll have a fair few people filling the away bay for this one.

Bring on Round 1 boys!!!

Where are you leaving the little one for the weekend? I'm thinking we drive up with our little girl (she'll be 13months by then) but I doubt the missus will allow me to take her to the game  <_< lol

We're very fortunate enough that my parents and in laws absolutely love looking after the little one and wouldnt mind taking care of him for that weekend.

Will be the first time we've gone away really since he was born so will be interesting

If Villa plays rounds 1-10, that's only 5 home games. I'd leave him in Melb for round one, just to piss of FFA, and not take him to wellington, means he can play the home derby, and the following week against Perth, so long as he's willing to stay in Oz for xmas. That would make 7 home appearances, much better for us. 

Does it work like that ??? 10 actual games, or 10 rounds and if he doesn't play he misses out ?

Does it work like that ??? 10 actual games, or 10 rounds and if he doesn't play he misses out ?

According to the doc Murf posted then City could just play him in every home game till January.

Edited by Rellum

For a minute i was shattered too, but then i realized that its just a great excuse to go to an away game.

Been to a few and have loved it. I think this will be an even bigger away trip considering the numbers ive heard are going up

Yeah true. I've always thought that if I was to go to an away game it'd be Sydney or Adelaide, so it works out nicely in that respect. I think I first decided that I wanted to go to an away game when I saw the amount of Heart supporters that went to Adelaide last season. And if everyone who has said they'll travel actually go, then we'll have a fairly large crowd there. 

According to the doc Murf posted then City could just play him in every home game till January.

Yes, we could according to the current rules. But I'll wager that if we do that FFA will regulate to close that loophole for future seasons.

Yes, we could according to the current rules. But I'll wager that if we do that FFA will regulate to close that loophole for future seasons.

IMO a 10-game contract should be just that, you can play 10 games. So the club can decide when that player plays and whether the games are consecutive or not. I don't know anything about the official rule or anything but that just seems like the logical way for that contract to work. 

But then again, I also believe that the idea of a guest contract is to promote the game and so the FFA would want that player to play in multiple cities and not just play all games in Melbourne, and so if we did do something along the lines of not taking him to Sydney in Round 1, or simply not having him play at away games, the FFA would probably counter that by having a part of the contract stating that the player must play in a designated number of cities. 

First game of the season, Sydney away.. Plenty of people watching, the media hype and all that nonsense, the team running out in their traditional red and white stripes and some people want Villa staying home?

You wouldn't leave him at home anyway. It makes no sense to not field your best team, especially at the start of the season when it's important to get off to a good start (which Heart haven't done in the past). 

First game of the season, Sydney away.. Plenty of people watching, the media hype and all that nonsense, the team running out in their traditional red and white stripes and some people want Villa staying home?

I personally aren't advocating for him to play or not to play. Just pointing out the loopholes that City can take advantage of if they want to. 

If the FFA wanted to fix up the rules then this guest player nonsense should be either a half season thing or for ten weeks. Games are never a good way to measure time in sport. 

Rellum, I think you have to go for league matches because otherwise the period the player is with the club can be manipulated to include more games. Perhaps only 1 or 2, but that could make a difference at the end of the season.

How many other guest players have there been? I recall Newcastle using Francis Jeffers.

There were a few in the early days when they were just 4 game stints.  Romario to Adelaide was one and some Italian fella  to Sydney (sorry for the lack of detail, he was a very skilful player and apparently a superstar, but the only Serie A players I knew/know were/are Bresciano, Grella and Aloisi, so I've forgotten his name).  If my memory is correct he was injured for one game and thus only played 3?

Sydney had Miura, Romario was a quest player I believe as well.

The intent of the rule is for ten straight league games and that is how it should be used I agree. But if as I suggest it is changed to 10 weeks and that includes a couple of FFA cup games then so be it. If you want short term loan deals purely to pump up the popularity of the league then the fairness of a signing and when he plays is a mute point. 

I personally would love the guest rule to be replaced by a half season loan. 

$35 one way to Sydney for Round one

$35 one way, but thats not including the piss poor fees you get charged once you get to the payment section of the booking.

The misses and i were gonna pay $85 each return, but once it got to the section ,they charge an admin fee or some shit like that.

$35 is 6am on the Friday with Jetstar and i think its the same price for the return flight at the same time Sunday.

The misses and i went with a 2pm flight back home. Fuck getting up at 6am after a big ass drinking session on the Saturday lol

$35 one way, but thats not including the piss poor fees you get charged once you get to the payment section of the booking.

The misses and i were gonna pay $85 each return, but once it got to the section ,they charge an admin fee or some shit like that.

$35 is 6am on the Friday with Jetstar and i think its the same price for the return flight at the same time Sunday.

The misses and i went with a 2pm flight back home. Fuck getting up at 6am after a big ass drinking session on the Saturday lol You can avoid paying those fees by paying via direct transfer. Jetstar give you two days to transfer either by Internet banking or phone tfr

$35 is 6am on the Friday with Jetstar and i think its the same price for the return flight at the same time Sunday.

The misses and i went with a 2pm flight back home. Fuck getting up at 6am after a big ass drinking session on the Saturday lol You can avoid paying those fees by paying via direct transfer. Jetstar give you two days to transfer either by Internet banking or phone tfr

they didnt give that option when i went to pay.

I know Tiger let yo do that cause ive done it once before, but Jetstar didnt with me.

Maybe its becuase i paid using my phone

Might be, you can definatly do it on the computer, it's the second or third option down. Beats paying $17 per passenger extra!

Im gonna call em and see if i can get a refund.

Bloody doubt it but might as well give it a go.

Im not overly stressed though cause i still got them a lot cheaper than i thought i would of.

Just means that me and the misses have $34 less to send on the piss lol

• Like 1